MLK St. in ATL

Decon Frost

Star
Registered
So I was over on MLK today at Busy Bee Cafe, first time in a long time I've been over there. Now, right across the street is emply looks like some kind of development is going on there. Does anyone know whats happening with MLK?

bham_brotha

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So I was over on MLK today at Busy Bee Cafe, first time in a long time I've been over there. Now, right across the street is emply looks like some kind of development is going on there. Does anyone know whats happening with MLK?

condos and townhouses. They're throwing those bitches up everywhere over there, down behind that publix and on down MLK going towards mosely park.

WildCard

Potential Star
Registered
Yea - for a while I had been told that Morehouse had purchased that land and was going to use it to build the Ray Charles Art Center on it - but I'm more inclined to believe that the property is being used for more Condo's and Townhomes...

Decon Frost

Star
Registered
Condos! So, you're telling me white peoples are gonna be living on MLK. they must have had a revelation sitting in traffic to and from the suburbs.

DiamondDeuce

Support BGOL
Registered
Yup younger white folks want to live closer to the city!
Why you think they buying up all those homes around Eastlake?

bham_brotha

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Condos! So, you're telling me white peoples are gonna be living on MLK. they must have had a revelation sitting in traffic to and from the suburbs.

It shouldnt be that hard to beleive. Hell they're building condos on metropolitan, even over near pittsburgh. And if you ride through there now the hookers aint even strollin no more. They takin all that land

Decon Frost

Star
Registered
It shouldnt be that hard to beleive. Hell they're building condos on metropolitan, even over near pittsburgh. And if you ride through there now the hookers aint even strollin no more. They takin all that land

Are black developers/businessmen eating off of this?

DiamondDeuce

Support BGOL
Registered
Gentrification. All the poor blacks gonna have to move to Clayton County and Niggadale.

Well...that what it is then. What is the alternative?

I mean if a person has money to purchase land/home in downtown Atlanta.......that is capitalism.

America does not guarantee poor people of any race..luxury housing in prime real estate areas.

SloPoke

Star
Registered
Its part of a 10 year plan to revitalize the west end area. Due to it's location, and Atlanta's growth in the past 15 years....the west end is now considered "Prime Location". So police presence is higher, and more local business are going to shut down to trigger "Reverse Urban Sprawl".

The black folk move out (thinking they are getting something good), while the white folks move in.

DiamondDeuce

Support BGOL
Registered
Its part of a 10 year plan to revitalize the west end area. Due to it's location, and Atlanta's growth in the past 15 years....the west end is now considered "Prime Location". So police presence is higher, and more local business are going to shut down to trigger "Reverse Urban Sprawl".

The black folk move out (thinking they are getting something good), while the white folks move in.

Do you consider this a bad thing?

I am a black man.......but if I go buy a house in the west end FROM SOMEBODY THAT WANTS TO SELL IT for $120K and then I fix it up and 5 years later its worth $400K what is the problem?

What would you propose? That is not rooted in communism?

SloPoke

Star
Registered
Do you consider this a bad thing?

I am a black man.......but if I go buy a house in the west end FROM SOMEBODY THAT WANTS TO SELL IT for $120K and then I fix it up and 5 years later its worth $400K what is the problem?

What would you propose? That is not rooted in communism?

Actually, I think it's excellent....if we (as a people) take advantage of the growth, and invest in it. A majority of us will move further away from the inner city, and once again give the metro area back to those who moved away.

The_Source

Potential Star
Registered
Yea - for a while I had been told that Morehouse had purchased that land and was going to use it to build the Ray Charles Art Center on it - but I'm more inclined to believe that the property is being used for more Condo's and Townhomes...

They are building that across from the Stadium which would make more sence, being that it is actually close to the school.

Dert Bagg

Star
Registered
They been developin that area for years.
They bulldozed the projects on Lee in like 2000.
They put up condos behind Spelman around the same time.
Soon enough they'll get them University Homes niggas outta there.
West End is back, homey.

dHustla

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Are black developers/businessmen eating off of this?

*Raised in east point*
*Mama has a store on Lee St.*

This is the great question man! We have to start putting the black dollar to work and demanding respect with it!
I refuse to live anywhere other than the 'hood', and I DON'T WANNA SEE MORE POLICE HERE, I just recently moved to Pittsburgh and its full of abandoned houses, but right along w/ them is some newly constructed houses. Some of the new construction is empty, others are occupied and are usually the best looking house on the street. I started a real estate investment company w/ my sister last year and we are targeting West End/Oakland City/Pittsburgh areas for investment. You would be surprised to know how many duplexes are in the small community of Pittsburgh alone....and most are empty. Black people lets start managing our money more wisely so we have something to give our children.... like a community.
It pisses me off to think that the people that made/make West End area what it is don't/won't make money off of these developments.

thebxbomber

Banned

yes.... been in the A since 92.................... lived off of mlk (by washington hs ) went t school in the auc......... what is going on i a development project that took at least 10 yrs to bring about........... everything on the side of the street where publix is .... is all new........ there used to be a hill where publix's is at a neighborhood that went as far back as the apartment complex behind publix........ its something simular to what happened in harlem.......... the time for buying propety in that area for the low has long gone............. alto of good things are happening but...... alot of people will be cut out......... the next big thing in that area is the redevelopment of the projects............ when all is done that area from castelberry hill to ashby / mlk will look like a combination of verginia highlands / and the ga tech / lil 5pts area.
the busy bee will be relocating to the old pascals building

sirwood

Star
Registered
They been developin that area for years.
They bulldozed the projects on Lee in like 2000.
They put up condos behind Spelman around the same time.
Soon enough they'll get them University Homes niggas outta there.
West End is back, homey.

Universty Home been boarded up for a year

Anothermind

Star
Registered
You're late.
Get in to the new homes now while the prices are dropping, then cash in when real gentrification hits.

The only black developer actually putting effort into this area is owner of the Sky Lofts, and he's pissed that there isn't more diversity of people trying to move in to his buildings. I can't really blame him as a more diverse group of owners will attract more people to your property.