***Men With Big Muscles Are 40% Less Likely To Die From Cancer***

komobb

International
International Member
http://www.impactlab.com/2009/05/25...40-less-likely-to-die-from-cancer/#more-30086

Men with stronger muscles from regular weight training are up to 40 per cent less likely to die from cancer than men who do not pump iron, according to new research. The findings, by an international team of researchers, suggest muscular strength is as important as staying slim and eating healthily when it comes to protecting the body against deadly tumors.

The scientists who came up with the findings are recommending men weight train at least twice a week, exercising muscle groups in both the upper and lower body.

In recent years, experts have recommended a healthy diet and lifestyle - including regular aerobic exercise such as jogging or cycling to reduce the risks of the disease.

But the latest study, published in the journal Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention, suggests it may be just as important to build up muscle strength.

A team of experts, led by scientists from Sweden’s Karolinska Institute, tracked the lifestyles of 8,677 men aged between 20 and 82 for more than two decades.

Each volunteer had regular medical check ups that included tests of their muscular strength.

Between 1980 and 2003, researchers monitored how many developed cancer and subsequently died from it.

The results showed men who regularly worked out with weights and had the highest muscle strength were between 30 and 40 per cent less likely to lose their life to a deadly tumor.

Even among volunteers who had excess tummy fat or a high body mass index, regular weight training seemed to have a protective effect.

In a report on their findings the researchers stressed keeping a healthy weight was still crucial for avoiding premature death.

But they added: “In the light of these results, it is equally important t to maintain healthy muscular strength levels.

“It’s possible to reduce cancer mortality rates in men by promoting resistance training involving the major muscle groups at least two days a week.”

A spokesman for Cancer Research UK said resistance exercise might have some benefit but it was more important to regularly do some cardiac exercise.

Health information officer Jessica Harris said: “There’s no need to become a body builder. Just 30 minutes of moderate exercise five times a week that leaves you warm and slightly out of breath can have a positive effect.”

I was happy to read this after a hard workout today.

DaAssWatcher

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If this isn't tha motovation that I need then nothing will ever work.I was in great shape body was on swole and cut up but a brother done fell off.Lucky for me I didn't get fat but I lost my muscle mass and I feel pathetic especially since I can't show off with tha wife beaters now that it is hot.Bout to join a gym in june. :yes:

young jazz

Support BGOL
Registered
Good post. Working out also makes you feel better about yourself, which also leads to better health.

It should be obvious to all that working out is very important and should be apart of everyone who is able's lifestyle.

DiamondDeuce

Support BGOL
Registered
Good post. Working out also makes you feel better about yourself, which also leads to better health.

It should be obvious to all that working out is very important and should be apart of everyone who is able's lifestyle.

PLEASE POST WHAT YOU JUST SAID ABOVE IN SOL TOO...

DaAssWatcher

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Yeah true dat.I never had low self esteem in my life but after bout 4-5 months after working out and then looking in tha mirror at home I felt like I was tha shit.Its like tha new outfit feeling knowing you fly as shit bout to hit up a lil get together or lounge. :cool:

SKATTA

International
International Member
I Dont know about all these studies etc..

all i know is ive been working out steady for about a dozen yrs now,and i cant stop.
not a whole lot of things feel better than putting in work towards a personal healthy lifestyle.

PsyenceRawk

Rising Star
Registered
Studies like this are misleading because people who regularly work out are generally more healthy and less likely to smoke than those who do not.

http://skullkill.mybrute.com

word...

i mean the thread title said "Men With Big Muscles". I aint a big dude, but i'm cut and muscular. 5'10.5", 168lbs, very healthy, good eating habbits (no red meat born and raised)... so i say to those "scientists"... what about us lean brothas?:confused: I'm sure we are 60% less likely to die from cancer

WhoaIsMe

Star
Registered
and men with big muscles aren't the only ones that do not smoke, or vice versa, and smoking isn't the only way to get cancer. They found a pattern over the THOUSANDS of people they studies that says cats with big muscles don't get cancer as much as those who are lean, fat, in shape, out of shape, smoke, don't smoke, etc.

Even if cats who have big muscles usually don't smoke, i think their dedication to the gym contributes to that maybe.

word...

i mean the thread title said "Men With Big Muscles". I aint a big dude, but i'm cut and muscular. 5'10.5", 168lbs, very healthy, good eating habbits (no red meat born and raised)... so i say to those "scientists"... what about us lean brothas?:confused: I'm sure we are 60% less likely to die from cancer

I think you guys were included in the studies