McDonald's buying Krispy Kreme?

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
AA18nmau.img

McDonald's and Krispy Kreme have been testing a partnership.

McDonald's Needs a Doughnut and Coffee Brand​

McDonald's and Krispy Kreme already have a limited partnership where the burger chain is selling its doughnuts in over 160 McDonald's restaurants in Kentucky, which kicked off at the end of March.

That fits with Krispy Kreme's strategy of becoming a wholesaler of doughnuts. Its model includes standalone restaurants, but its growth will come from adding thousands of new distribution points for its doughnuts.

A national deal with McDonald's would immediately deliver that growth, but the doughnut company does not have the resources to support the burger chain on a national level (or across all dayparts).

"With the McDonald's in Kentucky test, adding trucks and adding significant -- adding production, doubling production in those existing hubs completely sort of changes the context of us becoming a much more of an operator behind the scenes, as well as obviously upfront at the doughnut counter," Krispy Kreme COO Josh Charlesworth said during the doughnut company's first-quarter earnings call.

McDonald's has over 13,000 US locations. Krispy Kreme can't grow fast enough to serve the chain nationally on its own. If the burger chain bought its partner, it could not only fund that expansion, it could also add a Krispy Kreme-branded coffee product.

McDonald's Needs Non-Meal Options (and Better Coffee)​

McDonald's could help protect its morning dominance from Wendy's and Taco Bell (its most-aggressive competitors in that daypart) by adding Krispy Kreme nationally. It could also become a viable Starbucks alternative if it offered not just doughnuts, but better coffee all day long.

Krispy Kreme does not actually have a great coffee product, but it has a better name than McCafe. If McDonald's owned Krispy Kreme, it could rebrand at least some of the McCafe line and simply have a more credible snack and coffee play that's higher-end but still speaks to its working-class roots (as opposed to Starbucks' snootier airs).

McDonald's has not hinted at considering acquiring Krispy Kreme, and it's possible the two sides could simply slowly ramp up their relationship. A deal, however, would bring the two brands together and allow McDonald's to control which rival channels sell Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

It might, for example, want to build its grocery relationships and its sales at Target (TGT) - Get Free Report and Walmart (WMT) - Get Free Report, but want to cut back on certain convenience store chains. No matter how McDonald's would leverage Krispy Kreme, this deal would make sense for the company as it looks to maintain its morning position and become more viable the rest of the day.

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
As of reading the article this is an interesting move, just the introduction of the doughnut to test them out..i like it..ill like to see how this continues to playy out...people have always complained about their coffee they should just implement a partnership with starbucks and call it a day..

theoriginalgreatone

MOAR
BGOL Investor
AA18nmau.img

McDonald's and Krispy Kreme have been testing a partnership.

McDonald's Needs a Doughnut and Coffee Brand​

McDonald's and Krispy Kreme already have a limited partnership where the burger chain is selling its doughnuts in over 160 McDonald's restaurants in Kentucky, which kicked off at the end of March.

That fits with Krispy Kreme's strategy of becoming a wholesaler of doughnuts. Its model includes standalone restaurants, but its growth will come from adding thousands of new distribution points for its doughnuts.

A national deal with McDonald's would immediately deliver that growth, but the doughnut company does not have the resources to support the burger chain on a national level (or across all dayparts).

"With the McDonald's in Kentucky test, adding trucks and adding significant -- adding production, doubling production in those existing hubs completely sort of changes the context of us becoming a much more of an operator behind the scenes, as well as obviously upfront at the doughnut counter," Krispy Kreme COO Josh Charlesworth said during the doughnut company's first-quarter earnings call.

McDonald's has over 13,000 US locations. Krispy Kreme can't grow fast enough to serve the chain nationally on its own. If the burger chain bought its partner, it could not only fund that expansion, it could also add a Krispy Kreme-branded coffee product.

McDonald's Needs Non-Meal Options (and Better Coffee)​

McDonald's could help protect its morning dominance from Wendy's and Taco Bell (its most-aggressive competitors in that daypart) by adding Krispy Kreme nationally. It could also become a viable Starbucks alternative if it offered not just doughnuts, but better coffee all day long.

Krispy Kreme does not actually have a great coffee product, but it has a better name than McCafe. If McDonald's owned Krispy Kreme, it could rebrand at least some of the McCafe line and simply have a more credible snack and coffee play that's higher-end but still speaks to its working-class roots (as opposed to Starbucks' snootier airs).

McDonald's has not hinted at considering acquiring Krispy Kreme, and it's possible the two sides could simply slowly ramp up their relationship. A deal, however, would bring the two brands together and allow McDonald's to control which rival channels sell Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

It might, for example, want to build its grocery relationships and its sales at Target (TGT) - Get Free Report and Walmart (WMT) - Get Free Report, but want to cut back on certain convenience store chains. No matter how McDonald's would leverage Krispy Kreme, this deal would make sense for the company as it looks to maintain its morning position and become more viable the rest of the day.

Bump

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member

One quoted

I tried the Krispy Kreme doughnuts at McDonald's, but they didn't compare to the freshly made ones​

Well that could be a hit or miss but if the sales doing their thing ill would continue the test run so i could see if its just a fluke or not...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
One quoted

I tried the Krispy Kreme doughnuts at McDonald's, but they didn't compare to the freshly made ones​

Well that could be a hit or miss but if the sales doing their thing ill would continue the test run so i could see if its just a fluke or not...

That's a good point. It's like going to a restaurant or fast food spot ... but to different locations.

The food quality or service / experience can greatly differ. When realistically the restaurant or franchise is aiming for consistency across the board.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Me either, but sidenote when i go there im not looking a donut n e way... :giggle:

Agreed. The only item I've bought there in recent years was the Egg BLT Everything bagel. Especially when they had their Buy 1, Get 1 Free coupons a few times a year. They're fucking good, but I don't think they're offered year-round. Take a couple of these to go on a cold morning ... have 1 then, and refrigerate the other one for later.

mcdonalds-egg-blt-bagel-everything:product-header-desktop

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Every time they advertise a new McFlurry on a commercial and I'm like you know damn well that machine is broken :smh:

Exactly. The running joke with them for many, many years.

Funny side note ... some years back my pops was picking me up as I returned from a holiday. It was late-July and he said we should stop off and get a bite to eat, and let the rush hour traffic die down a bit. He suggested Wendy's and his words were along the lines of - "I haven't been there in years. Saw their promo for the $0.99 Frosty, and you know those are always good. And at least we know their machines WON'T be broken ..."

:roflmao3:

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
One quoted

McDonald’s can bring in “the Luther” to mainstream. It is just what the fat MFs would die for, literally. :yes:

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
McDonald’s can bring in “the Luther” to mainstream. It is just what the fat MFs would die for, literally. :yes:
I could see that commercial right now.. what happens when you mix the best of both worlds McDonald’s burger and a Krispy Kreme donut.. the greatest experience of all time.. you can never get to much greatness in one meal.. for a limited time only the Luther d… all this playing with the never to much instrumental in the background

PlayerR

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
McDonalds having a wholesale purchase agreement with Krispy Kreme isn't them buying the company..lol

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
The only people I want around dounuts are folks that are built for that pastry making life. Nothing less.

May have to go get a dozen count just because I know it will go downhill after Mickey D's gets their hands on them.
LOL.... dude.... Krispy Kreme haven't been made by hand since 1963..... at least Dunkin were handmade past 1990, before getting shipped from a factory center

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: fu2

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor

Dunkin mixed the dough in a big ass Hobart mixer..... then it was sectioned into loaves on a flour dusted cloth...... then after about 20 minutes each loaf was rolled out to about a 5/8 of an inch thick. A metal cutter was used to cut the donuts and 36 were placed on a wire screen, rolling racks of them were put in a proofer to rise, then were fried in the oil. the scraps were made into loaves and the process was repeated. Cake donuts didn't have to be proofed, but went through the same rolling and cutting process. Only French Kruellers were always put through the hopper directly into the oil. Cake donuts were sometimes mad that way using a wetter mix for the hopper, same with munchkins... I don't think any Dunkins have a baker now, everything is ordered from a distribution center

Z MONSTER

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
McDonalds knew it was a matter of time that their company would get exposed for bad health and over priced food. They needed something new to keep the gravy train going. I predict 10 years they will be in bankruptcy.

Temujin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
LOL.... dude.... Krispy Kreme haven't been made by hand since 1963..... at least Dunkin were handmade past 1990, before getting shipped from a factory center

I litteraly watch my donuts from crispy cremes go in the fryer. They are as fresh as you can get. Mcdonalds ain't got them fryers nor the signs. It's like buying a crispy creme at the supermarket. Not the same experience. If you have ever been hi in college and that light comes on OMG heaven must be like this.

JazzyBenz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Question - how popular are the current donuts at McDonald's from recent years, and are they any good?

I've never tried them, but see them advertised when they send out their coupon sheets.

McDonald%E2%80%99s-Canada-Launches-New-McCaf%C3%A9-Li%E2%80%99L-Donuts-Nationwide-678x381.jpg
shiiiiiitttttt dawg the apple fritter is damn good and I actually like their coffee better and most fast food offerings from chain restaurants

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
Why ? there’s a Krispie kreme like right down the street from McDonald’s at a few spots. Union city and Daly city both got Nicky d around the corner

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
shiiiiiitttttt dawg the apple fritter is damn good and I actually like their coffee better and most fast food offerings from chain restaurants

Apple fritters sound good. I’ve bought them from the local grocery store on occasion when priced right (damn good too).

Can’t recall exactly, but McD’s does (or did) deal with Seattle’s Best for their coffee blends, right?