McCain Flips Out On New York Times Reporter

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
source: mydd.com

by Todd Beeton, Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 03:17:04 PM EST

John McCain snapped at New York Times reporter Elisabeth Bumiller today on his press plane when she asked him about whether or not he'd actually had a conversation with John Kerry in 2004 about being his VP.

First some background, First Read has this report from a campaign event earlier in the day:

McCain answered in Atlanta that his and Kerry's political views are too different. "I just totally disagree with them," McCain said. "He is a liberal Democrat... I am a conservative Republican. When we had that conversation in 2004, that's why I never even considered such a thing."

Which is what inspired Elisabeth Bumiller to ask McCain about the conversation with Kerry. This is how the exchange on his press plane today went:

"Senator, can I ask you about Senator Kerry. I just went back and looked at our story, the Times story, and you told Sheryl Stolberg that you had never had a conversation with Kerry about being about vice president..."

McCain testily replied, "Everybody knows that I had a private conversation. Everybody knows that. That I had a conversation. There's no living American in Washington -- that knows that, there's no one."

Bumiller: "Okay."

McCain: "And you know it, too. You know it. So, I don't even know why you ask."

Bumiller: "Well, I ask because I just read..."

McCain: "You do know it. You do know it."

Bumiller: "Because I just read in the Times in May of '04 you said...."

McCain: "I don't know what you may have read or heard of, I don't know the circumstances. Maybe in May of '04 I hadn't had the conversation..."

The article Bumiller was referring to is HERE (h/t TPM). The pertinent passage:

Asked if Senator Kerry had made such an offer, Mr. McCain said no without hesitation. But asked if the two men had ever discussed it, even casually, he paused for a moment.

"No," he said finally. "We really haven't."

This is great stuff. McCain's outburst both fuels a new "McCain as hothead" narrative that he's successfully avoided throughout this campaign thus far and reveals McCain to be, well, a liar, puncturing that whole "straight talk" aura he still unbelievably has among the press. And hey, if anything has the potential to turn the press against him, it's yelling at one of their own. Something tells me McCain's getting a stern talking to right about now. Remember Senator, we have these things called video and the Internet now...

[WM]http://www.youtube.com/v/Kj7HbqwZwRM[/WM]​

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
Ol' cracka is full of hate. Them gooks did a number on him in Vietnam!

BenQ

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
this dude is a time bomb.

Buk predicts:

this dude WILL meltdown before november.

2q3r9e0.jpg

:lol:

360KNOWLEDGE

Potential Star
Registered
This is mild. I'm expecting McCain to REALLY get pissed and go off, possibly steal on someone. This guy IS the Manchurian Candidate

Obadiah Plainman

Potential Star
Registered
McCain was a P.O.W. its no question that he is a very angry person. He's already been characterized as kind of a loose cannon, if elected he could pose a danger to the world worse than President Bush.

sirwoodz

Rising Star
Registered
yall are tripping...this is the same newspaper that spilled the beans about him having an affair on his wife like they are the national enquirer or some shit...

even the NYT's liberal lifelong subscribers were calling into question the motives behind running a story like that...

at some point it's not about democrat/republican/white/black, but integrity. the NYT doesn't have any, so why show them respect?

femmenoire

Modded Moderator Modding
BGOL Investor
McCain is already known as a "hothead".

5 years of torture would turn anyone into one. But I just hope he has more public flare ups.

Obadiah Plainman

Potential Star
Registered
McCain is already known as a "hothead".

5 years of torture would turn anyone into one. But I just hope he has more public flare ups.

You mean like this one from yesterday? After the sound man completely destroyed his chances of giving a decent speech in Florida. Hot head McCain and his people went off on a cameraman for filming Florida Gov. Charlie Crist instead of him (I guess).

http://mediamatters.org/items/200803070005?f=h_top

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
yall are tripping...this is the same newspaper that spilled the beans about him having an affair on his wife like they are the national enquirer or some shit...

even the NYT's liberal lifelong subscribers were calling into question the motives behind running a story like that...

at some point it's not about democrat/republican/white/black, but integrity. the NYT doesn't have any, so why show them respect?

:roflmao:

FACT: McCain denied that in 2004 he approached John Kerry as his running mate.

FACT: Prior to this video, earlier in the day in an Atlanta town hall, styled meeting a young man asked McCain if he asked McCain if he asked Kerry to be his running mate. He said yes he did, but he was a conservative and Kerry was a liberal and it wouldn't work.

FACT: the reporter on the jet asked McCain if he said that he asked Kerry to be his running mate in 2004. That is when McCain got upset, because he was caught in a lie.

YOU CALL THAT INTEGERITY?

One of the greatest enemies of the republican conservatives today is the internet. You can try to disparage the term "liberal" (which is not a bad word anymore thanks to GW) but you can't fake video. I believe the Times about McCain's close relationship with his “lobbyist-ett.” The straight talk express has no integrity, he is a lobbyist’s dream!

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
You call that "flips out" ??
Man, these people on this board have a George Bush "you're either with us or against us" mentality when it comes to Obama. I support Obama, but I'm not going to pretend John McCain is the devil.

"Flips Out"... :smh:

You'd have to be either a liar or a sheepish follower to make this claim.

Either you're lying and trying to portray "the enemy" in the worst light possible to mislead others or feed red meat to other fanatics...

Or you're so damn dumb that someone else could feed you that bullshit and you'd swallow out of gullibility and/or bias.

Either way, it's sad.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Man, these people on this board have a George Bush "you're either with us or against us" mentality when it comes to Obama. I support Obama, but I'm not going to pretend John McCain is the devil.

"Flips Out"... :smh:

You'd have to be either a liar or a sheepish follower to make this claim.

Either you're lying and trying to portray "the enemy" in the worst light possible to mislead others or feed red meat to other fanatics...

Or you're so damn dumb that someone else could feed you that bullshit and you'd swallow out of gullibility and/or bias.

Either way, it's sad.

Unlike the way the "right" has demonized anyone that hasn't agreed with them over the last 30 years.

RoyalKing718

Potential Star
Registered

WHAT??? LOL :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Your an idiot. The NYT supported John McCain's Campaign.
They held the story back to help him. They had the story long before he was the front runner and the inevitable candidate. Running it when they did, HELPED HIM. His opponent (huckabe) was too far behind to catch up or pass him. And it is released so early it wont seriously damage him in the General Election. If they had choose to release it earlier or waited to the general election, it would have damaged his reputation ALOT MORE.

Think before you talk. Also the story was sensationalized for the affair, but there were some real issues there involving campaign financing, side deals, favoritism in policy etc. THOSE ARE VALID ARGUMENTS, that should be addressed.
Once again they helped him by making it soooo much about the affair, people overlooked the real issues, and dismissed it as an unwarranted and sleazy attack.

THAT STORY COULD OF DESTROYED HIM, IF THE NYT HAD RELEASED IT AT A CERTAIN TIME AND WRITTEN IT A CERTAIN WAY.

RoyalKing718

Potential Star
Registered
JOHN McCAIN might be worse than BUSH. I dont trust that guy. He seems unstable. LONG BEFORE THIS.

I do believe he is more sincere and honest than bush is though. But he is more volatile and emotional/moody.

I can see him offending world leaders and holding grudges even worst than Bush does.
War will do that to you.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
Unlike the way the "right" has demonized anyone that hasn't agreed with them over the last 30 years.
That makes it right???

That's a very ignorant justification. I am not a right-winger, nor would I defend their tactics. It is totally irrelevant to what I wrote-- A red herring, a distraction.

Basically, you're admitting to fuckery and your excuse is "But Rush Limbaugh does it too!!!"

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That makes it right???

That's a very ignorant justification. I am not a right-winger, nor would I defend their tactics. It is totally irrelevant to what I wrote-- A red herring, a distraction.

Basically, you're admitting to fuckery and your excuse is "But Rush Limbaugh does it too!!!"

Oh, now your moral. Tell it to Limbaugh, Hannity and O'Reily:rolleyes: