Mavs forward Devon George blocks Kidd Trade

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
i knew what an "early bird exception" was, but i didn't know it offered that protection to the player.

EARLY BIRD EXCEPTION -- This is a weaker form of the Larry Bird exception, and is also a component of the Veteran Free Agent exception. Players who qualify for this exception are called "Early Qualifying Veteran Free Agents" in the CBA. A player qualifies for this exception after playing two seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. Using this exception, a team may re-sign its own free agent for 175% of his salary the previous season or the average player salary, whichever is greater (see question number 24 for the definition of "average salary." Also note that for 2005-06 they used a defined figure of $5 million). Early Bird contracts must be for at least two seasons (which limits this exception's usefulness -- it's often better to take a lower salary for one more season and then have the full Bird exception available the next season) and no longer than five seasons. A player can receive raises up to 10.5% of the salary in the first season of the contract using this exception.

If the player was a first round draft pick and just completed the second year of his rookie scale contract, but his team did not exercise their option to extend the contract for the third season (see question number 38), then this exception cannot be used to give him a salary greater than he would have received had the team exercised their third year option. In other words, teams can't decline the option in order to get around the salary scale and give the player more money.

If the player is a restricted free agent with two years of service and receives an offer sheet from a new team, the player's prior team may use the Early Bird exception to match the offer sheet (see question number 36 for restricted free agency).

Starting January 10 of each season, this exception begins to reduce in value.

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
We don't want that mofo anyway. Why the hell we picking up all that ga-bage?

Harris and draft picks is enough. Only way I approve of this trade (as a Nets fan) is if you plan on FIRING THE COACH and starting over. With the intent of purging all that flotsam after the season

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
:lol: The crowd let that mofo have it too. It's always disappointing when you see fans booing their own players. That's real classless and lakers-esque.

We don't want that mofo anyway. Why the hell we picking up all that ga-bage?

Because Jason Kidd makes so much money, they needed the salaries.

I thought that the trade would be complete but I guess no one thought D. George would opt to not being traded because he already asked to be traded this season. (The real issue, in my opinion, is that he just don't want to go to the Nets)

He was most likely going to get bought out anyway and he'd have plenty of time to re-sign with a team before March 1 so he can play for another squad but I can understand where he is coming from.

I'm sure that the trade will still go down, landing J Kidd in Dallas but they'll have to work something else out.

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
The conspriracy theorist in me (is it still a theory if it's real?) tells me that Devean George has NOTHING to do with why this trade isn't going through

If Kidd goes to the Mavs now, he won't play for the East in the All Star game. In fact, he won't be on the All star team at all unless there is some sort of exception made for him. Or they add an extra spot to the West squad

Not to mention, his coach would be.........

Byron Scott
:hmm::cool:

Look for the trade to be completed AFTER the All Star game
:lol:

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
The conspriracy theorist in me (is it still a theory if it's real?) tells me that Devean George has NOTHING to do with why this trade isn't going through

If Kidd goes to the Mavs now, he won't play for the East in the All Star game. In fact, he won't be on the All star team at all unless there is some sort of exception made for him. Or they add an extra spot to the West squad

Not to mention, his coach would be.........

Byron Scott
:hmm::cool:

Look for the trade to be completed AFTER the All Star game
:lol:

Before the All Star game was over, there were rumors that the deal was already done.

Still think it was Devean George that had this trade blocked
:rolleyes: