Mauritania

Greed

Star
Registered
Firing heard after Mauritanian army troops launch coup
46 minutes ago

NOUAKCHOTT (AFP) - Mauritanian troops led by presidential guard members took over the armed forces headquarters, state radio and television buildings in the capital Nouakchott in a coup d'etat.

Later an AFP correspondent heard heavy weapons fire in the almost deserted city, but its immediate cause was not known, while a military source said a number of senior officers had been arrested.

The troops had moved into the buildings from 5:00 am (0500 GMT) and also blocked off access to the presidential palace and government ministers, while President Maaouyia Ould Taya was in Saudi Arabia for the funeral of King Fahd.

All state media broadcasts were interrupted and no announcement had been made by the putschists several hours after their takeover.

Military vehicles equipped with heavy weaponry and anti-aircraft guns took up positions in the capital.

Five blasts were heard at 10:15 am (1015 GMT) near the centre of the city, whose streets were deserted apart from a handful of vehicles and pedestrians.

A military source said "several senior officers" had been arrested but could not say if they had been detained by loyalists or rebels.

In June 2003 a bloody uprising failed to unseat Ould Taya, and was followed in August and September of last year by two more alleged coup attempts.

Ould Taya, who seized power himself in a bloodless coup in 1984, is a strong ally of the United States at the head of the northwest African country, which sits on an estimated one billion barrels of oil and 30 billion cubic meters of natural gas.

He was elected president first in 1992, again in 1997 and for a third time in November last year in an exercise condemned as a "masquerade" by the opposition.

His government recently cracked down on Islamist radicals, accusing them of links to terrorism and extremist groups in neighbouring Algeria.

In May the authoritative International Crisis Group said Nouakchott had seized on the US-led struggle against terrorism as a way to legitimize its denial of democratic rights.

In a follow-up to a March report that called Washington's militaristic approach to the terror challenge in northwest Africa "counterproductive", the Brussels-based think tank said the demonization of Islamists in mostly Muslim Mauritania could be a "very costly mistake".

In February a court condemned 84 convicted putschists and acquitted more than 100 other defendants, including former president Mohamed Khouna Ould Haidalla, ousted in 1984 by Ould Taya.

The 2003 coup attempt collapsed after a 36-hour gunbattle with loyalist soldiers at a military barracks near Nouakchott.

Its mastermind Saleh Ould Henenna, a former army major, told his trial that the country's deep racial and ethnic divisions were the impetus behind his bid to oust Ould Taya, who has ruled with an iron fist since 1984.

He called for "a political act of salvation for the Mauritanian people."

Life sentences were imposed in absentia on Mohamed Ould Salek and Mohamed Ould Cheikhna, the founder of an exiled band of renegade military officers known since June 2003 as Knights of Change.

Mauritania is one of just three Arab countries with diplomatic links with Israel, and Israeli Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom was greeted by anti-Israel graffiti and protests when he visited in May.

Israel has expressed hope that Mauritania might serve as a "bridge" between it and the Arab world and encourage other Arab nations to begin diplomatic relations.

Palestinian Authority President Mahmud Abbas also visited Nouakchott a month ago.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/2005080...4OFOrgF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Dolemite

Star
Registered
lmao let's see if Bush argues for the return of the "democratically elected" leader

the african union is a fuckin joke smh

[frame]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4741243.stm[/frame]

[frame]http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2005-08-03-mauritania_x.htm[/frame]

-------------------

4.45pmMilitary coup in Mauritania

Staff and agencies
Wednesday August 3, 2005

Guardian Unlimited
Army officers in Mauritania said today that they had overthrown the country's president and set up a military council to rule the country.

A statement, signed by a group calling themselves the Military Council for Justice and Democracy said it had ended the "totalitarian" regime of the country's president, Maaouya Sid' Ahmed Taya.

The group said it would rule the Islamic republic for a maximum of two years. Mr Taya is believed to have fled the country.

"The armed forces and security forces have unanimously decided to put a definitive end to the totalitarian activities of the defunct regime under which our people have suffered so much over recent years," the statement said.

"This council pledges before the Mauritanian people to create favourable circumstances for an open and transparent democracy," it said.

Witnesses said earlier that green-bereted presidential guard had taken over state television and radio. Gunshots were heard near the presidency and the airport was closed.

Shops in the capital Nouakchott were also closed and taxis were not stopping to pick up people trying to leave the city centre.

"I heard a burst of gunfire near the presidency. I saw scared people running away. Civil servants have all left their offices," one witness said.

An opposition leader and a military source said they believed the head of the presidential guard, Colonel Mohamed Ould Abdel-Aziz, was involved in the apparent coup.

Mr Taya himself seized power in a coup in 1984. He has angered many Arabs in the country by shifting support from Saddam Hussein to favour Israel and Washington in the 1990s.

Mauritania - which hopes to start pumping oil early next year - is one of only three Arab League member states that have established diplomatic ties with Israel.

Mr Taya, who attended the funeral of Saudi Arabia's King Fahd in Riyadh on Tuesday, arrived in Niamey, the capital of Niger, hours after news of the troop movements in Nouakchott emerged.

There were reports that some senior members of the military had been arrested, but it was not possible to confirm them.

International aid agency Oxfam warned today that Mauritania was facing a huge food crisis following severe drought and a locust invasion that destroyed 1.6m hectares of land and crops.

Around 800,000 people, more than 25% of the country's population, are at risk.
Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2005

------------------------

[frame]http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0803/dailyUpdate.html[/frame]

Greed

Star
Registered
only an expert extremist woud call the AU a joke because they want to promote non-extreme measures to change governments. extreme measures that are prevalent and detrimental in africa.

coups dont need to be the norm. in theory if the military was pro democracy, then they could have used their influence to allow open dissent without overhrowing the established government.

i know you dream about it in america but everytime a change of government happens in africa it doesnt need to be by coup.

of course, this isnt for you. this reply is for the 3 people on here that doesnt always cosign with your nuttiness.

Dolemite

Star
Registered
or maybe the AU doesn't want dictator governments overthrown because many governments in the AU are run by dictators

nah that sounds nutty

lmao maybe Bush can get TD Jakes to fix democracy in Africa

Greed

Star
Registered
and many are not. let me guess the dictatorships are holding the democratic ones hostage so they cant speak up and endorse the coup and promote it as a viable and productive method in africa for changing government.

the african union as a whole is saying chaos has been the norm in africa for too long. but of course this board predictably supports any perceived anti-US coup. i'm glad the african union is trying to stop all anarchy, at least in words, and not just the ones thats convenient. unfortunately they dont have the real power necessary to stop it. and people like you outside of africa dont even want it to stop.

Dolemite

Star
Registered
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-1720255,00.html

August 04, 2005

Oil wealth triggers army coup
By Jonathan Clayton

THE deep instability of West Africa was highlighted again yesterday when a group of army officers overthrew the President of Mauritania and set up a military council to rule the Islamic nation, which is on the verge of a huge oil bonanza.

In a brief statement, the self-styled Military Council for Justice and Democracy said that it was putting an end to the “totalitarian regime” of President Maaouya Ould Sid’Ahmed Taya. It pledged to rule for two years and create the conditions for an “open and transparent democracy”.

The coup was led by officers who seized the headquarters of the armed forces and the state radio and television buildings in Nouakchott, the capital.

Mr Taya, who faced mounting opposition to his 21-year rule from Islamic militants and pro-democracy advocates, was out of the country. He stopped over in Niamey, capital of neighbouring Niger, as he was returning from the funeral of King Fahd of Saudi Arabia.

The coup was led by heavily armed units of the presidential guard which took control of the buildings at about 5am local time and blocked off key access routes to the presidential palace and government ministries.

Short bursts of automatic gunfire were heard, but there were no reports of casualties. Last night Colonel Ely Ould Mohammed Vall, 55, the national police chief since 1987, was named as head of the ruling Military Council.

Mr Taya, now in his 60s, also seized power in a bloodless coup in 1984 and has ruled with an iron fist. Despite his once close links with Saddam Hussein, he has portrayed himself as a US ally and expressed concern about the creeping influence of al-Qaeda in Africa.

Mauritania, one of the few countries in the world where slavery is openly practised with semi-official endorsement, is reportedly sitting on one billion barrels of oil and 30 billion cubic metres of natural gas.

Critics say that Mr Taya was using the threat of Islamic militancy to clamp down on any opponents while preparing to share the spoils among his close associates, mainly fellow Moors, a tiny minority of the country’s 2.8 million people.

In June 2003, just as Western oil companies began to move into the country, there was a bloody uprising against Mr Taya. It was suppressed after several days and was followed by repression of all critics, sparking two more coup attempts last August and September.

In particular the Government accused opponents of links with al-Qaeda in neighbouring Algeria and accepted US training to help its forces to combat the terrorist threat.

Last May the International Crisis Group, a think-tank, said that Mr Taya was using the supposed threat to resist reform. Elections in 1992 and 1997 returning him to office were widely rejected as masquerades.

MAURITANIA
# Broke away from French rule to become an Islamic state in 1960
# At 398,000 sq miles, it is almost twice the size of France. It has a population of 3.1 million
# Life expectancy is up from 39 years in 1950 to 63 in 2003. Infant mortality is 70 per 1,000
# Slavery persists despite being banned more than two decades ago
# US ended development aid over its treatment of its black population and its support for Iraq in 1991 Gulf War

Greed

Star
Registered
whats your point? are you bringing up slavery because i went on and on about how great a place Mauritania was to live.

its amazing that no matter how short i keep my post for you and no matter how direct i am, you still miss the point.

fuck it, the african union gets my point.

Dolemite

Star
Registered
Greed said:
whats your point? are you bringing up slavery because i went on and on about how great a place Mauritania was to live.

its amazing that no matter how short i keep my post for you and no matter how direct i am, you still miss the point.

fuck it, the african union gets my point.

lmao hey brainiac its a thread about mauritania and I think people who are reading about it might be interested in that lil tid bit of info

who the fuck are you? lmao stfu did you see a quote or a reply to some shit you said? dumbass :lol:

Greed

Star
Registered
Dolemite said:
lmao hey brainiac its a thread about mauritania and I think people who are reading about it might be interested in that lil tid bit of info

who the fuck are you? lmao stfu did you see a quote or a reply to some shit you said? dumbass :lol:
staying true to little girl form you're just a misunderstood victim that i'm picking on.

Dolemite

Star
Registered
Greed said:
and many are not. let me guess the dictatorships are holding the democratic ones hostage so they cant speak up and endorse the coup and promote it as a viable and productive method in africa for changing government.

the african union as a whole is saying chaos has been the norm in africa for too long. but of course this board predictably supports any perceived anti-US coup. i'm glad the african union is trying to stop all anarchy, at least in words, and not just the ones thats convenient. unfortunately they dont have the real power necessary to stop it. and people like you outside of africa dont even want it to stop.

Oh yeah the 20 yr old dictatorship is much better and safer for Africans than than a new one. lmao get the fuck outta here

8 out of 42 aint many by my standards brainiac but I see you been studying Africa with TD Jakes so I understand.

"Dictatorship is the solution to anarchy in Africa" - Greed

Great quote

Of the 42 Nations in africa 8 are democratic and legitimate as in votes that are more legit than the shit that has been going on in the us

There are another 5 that are called democracies but are really shitty fucked up dictatorships and the rest are all dictatorships by definition.

[frame]http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/dem_dem_ins_rat&int=-1&id=AFR[/frame]

where the fuck is TD Jakes at? He was suppose to fix all these problems in Africa already

Dolemite

Star
Registered
Greed said:
staying true to little girl form you're just a misunderstood victim that i'm picking on.
rotflmbao life in greed's world
I want to introduce you to these two dudes you'd be cool with named southphillyman and LLCoolBebo

Greed

Star
Registered
"Dictatorship is the solution to anarchy in Africa" - Greed

Great quote

makes me feel good when this is what you're reduced to.

Dolemite

Star
Registered
Pressure mounts on Mauritania army after coup
Thu Aug 4, 2005 2:35 PM ET

By Ibrahima Sylla

NOUAKCHOTT (Reuters) - The African Union suspended Mauritania on Thursday after army officers seized power in an apparently bloodless coup, adding to international pressure on the new rulers of the West African country.

The United Nations, former colonial power France and the United States -- whose military has been training Mauritania's troops to fight Islamic militants thought to be operating in the Sahara desert -- have all condemned Wednesday's swift takeover in a country straddling black and Arab Africa.

The officers said a "Military Council for Justice and Democracy" would rule for up to two years to end the "totalitarian" regime of President Maaouya Ould Sid'Ahmed Taya, who was out of the country after attending King Fahd's funeral in Saudi Arabia.

Later on Thursday, Mauritania's new military rulers dissolved parliament, state radio said.

The 53-nation African Union firmly denounced the coup and demanded the "restoration of constitutional order."

The U.S. and French ambassadors to Mauritania met the head of the 17-member military council, Colonel Ely Ould Mohamed Vall on Thursday, but declined to make any declaration.

In a bid to reassure the international community, the council pledged on Wednesday to respect all treaties and accords binding Mauritania, but there was no word from the new rulers on their foreign and domestic policy objectives.

Taya, who landed in Niger shortly after the coup, had angered many Arabs in his homeland by establishing diplomatic ties with Israel -- the Islamic Republic is one of only three Arab league members to have done so.

He also turned his country into one of the most repressive nations in the region toward Islamist movements, especially after narrowly surviving a coup bid in 2003. His government says two more attempts to topple him were foiled in 2004.

Among those who will be looking for clues from the new rulers are Western oil companies which have invested heavily in Mauritania and hope to start pumping oil from its offshore fields next year.

STREET JOY

International condemnation for the coup that ousted Taya -- regarded as a Western ally after he shifted support from Iraq's former president Saddam Hussein to Israel and the United States -- was in stark contrast with the scenes of jubilation that greeted news of the putsch on Wednesday.

"Welcome to Mauritania, the dictator is gone," said Ousmane Ba, 41, an insurance salesman, greeting a passenger crossing into Mauritania from Senegal by boat with a grin.

In the sand-blanketed capital Nouakchott, thousands of people took to the streets to voice their support for the new leader on Thursday. Some carried large photos of Vall, and shouted and honked car horns in celebration.

People headed to work as usual, traffic flowed freely and small groups of soldiers in four-wheel drive cars with mounted machineguns guarded key buildings, though in smaller numbers than on Wednesday.

Vall had long been seen as a close ally of the president, having participated in the 1984 coup that brought Taya to power and served as his security chief for nearly 20 years.

Among the putschists was also the head of Taya's guard, showing that unlike previous attempts to oust him, Wednesday's coup came from within the president's own inner circle.

Analysts said the high-level backing for the coup in the security forces reflected widespread discontent with Taya, although it was unclear how far its leaders were motivated by ending repression rather than by personal gain.

"It definitely seems to me that there's a degree of unanimity within the security forces, evidenced by the fact that there was nobody killed yesterday," said Mike McGovern, West Africa project director for the Crisis Group think-tank. "The level of popular discontent in Mauritania is quite high."

(Additional reporting by Nicholas Tattersall)

African Herbsman

Star
Registered
Reuters
Mauritania junta frees jailed Islamists, names PM

By Nick Tattersall 1 hour, 32 minutes ago

NOUAKCHOTT (Reuters) - Mauritania's new army rulers ordered the release on Sunday of around 20 Islamist activists who had been jailed by ousted President Maaouya Ould Sid'Ahmed Taya for their alleged links with a group allied to al Qaeda.

In a move designed to reassure political parties, the junta also appointed a civilian prime minister, Sidi Mohamed Ould Boubacar, to head a caretaker government.

A former premier under Taya, Ould Boubacar became Mauritania's ambassador to France after falling out of grace and is seen as a consensus name who may also help soothe international concerns about the military takeover.

Taya, who had ruled with an authoritarian style since 1984, was overthrown in a bloodless coup by a group of officers on Wednesday while out of the country.

The detainees freed on Sunday were part of a group of some 60 people arrested by security forces since April in a clampdown on Islamist activists and politicians which critics say was an excuse to stifle dissent.

"This is a new era, a page has been turned," said Moctar Ould Mohamed Moussa, one of the released prisoners, as he walked out of the main civilian prison in the capital Nouakchott to be met by cheering relatives.

Hundreds of jubilant people honked their car horns outside the two-storey concrete building.

The United States, France and the
United Nations have all condemned the coup. The African Union has suspended Mauritania.

But in Nouakchott and elsewhere in the country, thousands of people have taken to the streets in celebration.

On Sunday, even Taya's own party said it fully backed the program outlined by the military council -- a constitutional referendum within a year followed by parliamentary elections.

DIPLOMATIC SHIFT

Initially an ally of former Iraqi president
Saddam Hussein, Taya had angered many Arabs in his country by moving it closer to
Israel -- Mauritania is one of only three Arab League members to have diplomatic ties with the Jewish state -- and Washington.

He also turned Mauritania, which straddles black and Arab Africa, into one of the most repressive countries toward Islamist movements, especially after narrowly surviving a coup attempt in June 2003.

The detained activists had been accused by Taya's government of colluding with the Algerian-based Salafist Group for Preaching and Combat (GSPC), a movement allied to al Qaeda.

But many Mauritanian Arabs say Taya overstated the Islamist threat to justify a crackdown on opponents and curry favor with the United States -- whose military trained his army to fight radical militants thought to be active in the Sahara desert. "The Islamists are the majority in Mauritania. They do not preach violence. The former president rounded them as extremists so as to win support from the West," said Yacoub Ould Moine, a university maths professor who was standing outside the prison.

A source close to the military junta told Reuters half a dozen prisoners would stay in jail after they admitted ties to the GSPC. The cases of other detainees were being reviewed.

Opposition leaders said the new prime minister had once been one of Taya's men, but should be given the benefit of the doubt.

"He is someone from the old regime but he is someone who wants change," Mohamed Ould Maouloud, leader of a moderate opposition party, told Reuters.

"We will judge him by his work," he said.

(additional reporting by Ibrahima Sylla)

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="6"><center>Mauritania:
Taya's Bid To Retake Control</font size></center>

STRATFOR
Intelligence Summary
August 10, 2005

Deposed Mauritanian President Maaoya Sid Ahmed Ould Taya left exile in Niamey, Niger, the evening of Aug. 9 to head for Gambia as a stopover on his way to Nouakchott, Mauritania. Meanwhile, the African Union and the United States both said they would deal directly with the Justice and Democracy Military Council installed after the Aug. 3 coup in Mauritania, though they insisted the new leadership stick to its promised two-year time frame for moving toward democracy. New Mauritanian President Col. Ely Ould Mohammed Vall, leader of the coup, has already moved to consolidate control over the country and has gained a large measure of public support. Though Taya plans to make a serious attempt to regain power, the Military Council has taken steps to solidify its power, virtually ensuring Taya will fail.

Analysis

Maaoya Sid'Ahmed Ould Taya, Mauritania's deposed president, left exile in Niger on the evening of Aug. 9 and headed for Gambia, with the intention of eventually arriving in Nouakchott, Mauritania, to "restore order." In an interview with satellite television channel Al Arabiya on Aug. 8, Taya urged Mauritania's military forces to resist the leadership of the coup to put an end to its "criminal act" and fight to restore him to power upon his return. He warned that the country is -- and will remain -- in a very dangerous position if the Justice and Democracy Military Council remains in control, saying that he would call an emergency session of the Parliament upon his return as a sign of his return to power.

Sources in northern Africa indicate that Taya does in fact want to return to Mauritania within the week. Several African leaders, including Nigerien President Mamadou Tanja, have urged him to instead negotiate a deal with the council now in control, accept his fate as an overthrown leader and retire into a pleasant exile. However, Taya is insistent that he has enough support within the Mauritanian military and among the international community to mount a countercoup and retake power.

Taya's downfall came at the hands of someone close to him -- Col. Ely Mohammed Vall, current leader of the military junta controlling the country. Vall, who had been Mauritania's director of national security since 1987, has experience in mounting successful coups as he played a prominent role in the coup that brought Taya to power in 1984. The military council's first steps indicate that Vall is not only an intelligent military leader, but also a savvy politician who understands how to control the current political situation. As part of its attempts to solidify support, the council offered to retain all government ministers in their positions -- an offer that many ministers originally rejected in order to pressure the junta through a withdrawal of support, though many ministers rejoined the government Aug. 10. The council also released numerous Islamist prisoners in a bid to earn support among elements of Nouakchott's political spectrum -- support the council has now publicly received. In addition, the appointment of Sidi Mohamed Ould Boubacar, a well-respected former premier who had a falling out with Taya, also indicates the council's willingness to co-opt the support of certain factions of Taya's former government.

Taya's desire to retake power faced a serious blow later Aug. 9, as the African Union announced that it would accept the military council's leadership in the interim until promised elections are held within two years, saying that it would prefer to deal with those currently making decisions rather than demand that Taya be brought back to power. Chief negotiator for the African Union, Nigerian Foreign Minister Oluyemi Adeniji, even addressed Vall as the president of Mauritania when leaving their meeting. Later in the day, Washington -- one of Taya's closest allies -- echoed the African Union delegation's sentiments, saying it would recognize the military junta as long as progress is made toward democratic rule within the announced two-year time frame.

Taya's drive to return is likely based on his belief that he can regain command of some military regiments loyal to him near Mauritania's southern border with Senegal, which would allow him, in turn, to retake Nouakchott. <u>His attempt at a countercoup is likely to fail, though not without a fight</u>. There are strong indications that Taya does maintain support among some parts of the military and security services, and he will certainly have some friends to turn to if he chooses to return. It does not appear that support runs wide enough to allow Taya to regain control over the main military and security institutions, though there is enough to mount a large fight.

In the end, however, a coup against Taya, who has held power for more than two decades, has been a long time coming, and not only because of Mauritania's status as a coup-prone state. The past three years have brought significant resistance to the repressive stance of Taya's regime -- resistance countered through intense crackdowns on political organizations and individuals posing threats to the regime. These crackdowns once infuriated the population, but now the people -- including the military -- no longer fear reprisals for resistance, because they have now seen others crush Taya's power.

Greed

Star
Registered
Mauritania says to remain U.S. ally after coup

uh oh, looks like some people arent going to be happy about the coup anymore.

Mauritania says to remain U.S. ally after coup
By Nick Tattersall
Fri Aug 12, 7:37 AM ET

NOUAKCHOTT (Reuters) - Mauritania's new prime minister said he wanted democratic elections as soon as possible after last week's coup and vowed the Islamic Republic would remain a U.S. ally in the fight against terrorism.

A military junta seized power on August 3 in Mauritania, which straddles black and Arab Africa and is due to start pumping oil next year. The coup ended 21 years of rule by authoritarian leader Maaouya Ould Sid'Ahmed Taya.

The 17-member military council, which includes some of Taya's closest aides, has promised a referendum on changes to the constitution in a year, followed by legislative and presidential elections within two.

"If we manage to get this work done before the 24 months is up we will do so," said Sidi Mohamed Ould Boubacar, a civilian prime minister appointed by the junta on Sunday.

"We are simply a transitional government charged with paving the way back to democracy. It will be up to the elected government to then take decisions on the big issues," he told Reuters in an interview late on Thursday.

The bloodless coup drew wide support among Mauritanians tired of what they say was a police state under Taya.

The international community initially condemned the putsch and demanded that Taya be restored to power, but has since softened its stance, and Western diplomats say they are prepared to give the new rulers the benefit of the doubt.

The United States in particular has said it will work with the military council if it shows it can keep its promise to organize transparent polls.

Washington sees Mauritania as a key ally in West Africa and this year sent military experts to train its troops to tackle Islamic militants it fears may be operating in the Sahara desert.

"Our relations with the United States are very important and we are confident about them," Ould Boubacar said, sat in his office in front of a huge Mauritanian flag.

"Mauritania reiterates very clearly its wish to honor its international engagements, including the role it plays in the fight against terrorism," he said.

ISLAMISTS FREED

One of the military council's first acts after seizing power was to release around 20 Islamist activists whom Taya had jailed for their alleged links to a group allied to al Qaeda.

The detainees had been accused of colluding with the Algerian-based Salafist Group for Preaching and Combat but many Mauritanian Arabs say Taya overstated the Islamist threat to justify a crackdown on opponents and win U.S. backing.

Ould Boubacar said the new government would not interfere in legal cases already underway but said other Islamists jailed by Taya would be released if there was no evidence against them.

Taya, initially an ally of former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein, angered many Arabs in his country by making Mauritania one of only three Arab League states with full diplomatic ties to Israel.

Opposition politicians have urged the coup leaders to cut all links with the Jewish state, saying to do so would be a clear sign of a break with the politics of Taya's regime.

When asked about Israel, Ould Babacar said Mauritania's foreign policy would be one of continuity and noted that the coup leaders had met with all foreign ambassadors in Nouakchott, including Israel's.

On the domestic front, Ould Babacar said the priority for his new cabinet, appointed this week, would be to reach agreement with opposition parties on changes to the constitution which would allow a president to run for only two terms.

It would also consider whether to cut the presidential term to four or five years from a current six.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/mauritan...J4zT5ov;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Greed

Star
Registered
Mauritania proposes elections dates

Mauritania proposes elections dates
Mauritania, Politics, 10/21/2005

The general minister for the Mauritanian presidency, Habib Weld Hamad, on Thursday announced that the government of Mauritania proposed that the first requirement will be the referendum on the constitution in 2006, to be followed by municipal elections in October, and then legislative elections in April 2007, and then the elections for the Senate council in May that precede the presidential elections in June.

Weld Hamad indicated that this schedule will be discussed with the political parties and the civil society organizations on October 25th, noting that these dates "were proposed initially " and can be changed when necessary in the course of consultations on relations between the ministerial committees.

Weld Hamad stressed that the government took into consideration economic and administrative force majors, and will defend its proposals with its care to that understanding "remain our ovjective," noting that representing women in the elected commissions will be discussed and that the government proposed representation rates estimated at 20%.

http://www.arabicnews.com/ansub/Daily/Day/051021/2005102122.html

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Re: Mauritania proposes elections dates

[frame]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6155400.stm[/frame]

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Re: Mauritania proposes elections dates

[frame]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6165662.stm[/frame]