March Madness '06

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's March Madness time again and with the tourney beginning this week, it couldnt have started any sooner.

Anyone got a March Madness pool going this year?

Havent looked over the brackets yet but are they any obvious mistakes (as usual) by the selection committee with the seedings? I know UConn, Memphis, Puke, and 'Nova all got #1 seeds this year. With the analysts picking UConn to win it. Some analyst even said Memphis might get beat by Oral Roberts in the opening round. :eek:

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
I'm down. I ain't gonna run it though
Got enough on my plate with NBA league(s)
and baseball coming up

Somebody else get it started.....

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Looks like the first 'upset' of the tourney will be UW-Milwaukee OVER Oklahoma. :yes:

Seton Hall (another fraudalent Big (L)east team) gettin' their ass handed to them by Wichita State and B.C. and Pacific (aint that where Olowokandi is from) are in a tight game.

Too bad Tech aint in the tourney so I have no team to root for so I figure the Champions will either be Villanova or UConn.

Dont really see any other upsets on the board today. However, Texas A&M could beat Syracuse. No way Tennessee is a #2 seed and they'll get exploited soon enough. I hope Florida doesnt embarass themselves once again losing in the early rounds but we'll see.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
pacific v. boston college

i'm just sitting back and enjoying watching TEAMWORK defeat INDIVIDUAL TALENT right now and wondering how many people this LESSON IS BEING LOST ON...

:lol:

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Re: pacific v. boston college

cranrab said:
i'm just sitting back and enjoying watching TEAMWORK defeat INDIVIDUAL TALENT right now and wondering how many people this LESSON IS BEING LOST ON...

They probably arent paying attention because the game aint interesting enough for them :rolleyes:

Craig Smith just saved BC's season. Hopefully they can pull away in 2OT, or a lot of people's brackets will be fucked up :yes:

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor

xfactor said:
They probably arent paying attention because the game aint interesting enough for them :rolleyes:

Craig Smith just saved BC's season. Hopefully they can pull away in 2OT, or a lot of people's brackets will be fucked up :yes:

pacific finally cracked in 2OT... they lost their composure and started taking poor shots and making bad ball handling decisions... now BC smells blood and is gonna finish them off...

noticed the airball and the other rushed 3's that weren't necessary?

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

cranrab said:
pacific finally cracked in 2OT... they lost their composure and started taking poor shots and making bad ball handling decisions... now BC smells blood and is gonna finish them off...

noticed the airball and the other rushed 3's that weren't necessary?

That's the main reason why I dont see many of the mid-major teams going far... Not because of their supposed lack of talent or lack of big money funding but because of the fact that they are more likely to crack under pressure in the big game. Just like Pacific did in that 2nd OT.

Watching Winthorp and Tennessee Now. Major Wingate (and his 3 rpg avg) has to be one of the softest big men in the nation.

Looking forward to watching Southern (an HBCU in LA) go head up against Duke. Hopefully they can keep it close and give Fluke fans a scare.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
texas a&m v. lsu

lsu has lost it's composure and lost it's 2nd half lead...

i'd rather be watching the indiana v. gonzaga game...

on a non-basketball note, does anyone else think that texas a&m's head coach looks like squiggy from laverne and shirley?

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Another cinderella beats another overrated Big Least team as Pitt loses to #13 Bradley :smh:

Coach Williams better do something because the Tarheels are losing to George Mason with 7 minutes remaining in the game.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Re: texas a&m v. lsu

cranrab said:
on a non-basketball note, does anyone else think that texas a&m's head coach looks like squiggy from laverne and shirley?

Dont know who that is but a lot of these mid major coaches every year seem to use the TV exposure and publicity as their time to shine.

Some of these coaches look like clowns or evil villians from old cartoons :lol:

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
He does it again...

Despite the fact he's been coaching for 75 years, Lute Olsen continues to make huge mistakes in every tournament. Anyone see Lute call timeout on a fast 3 on 1 fastbreak while his player was in the act of shooting AND Adams made the jumper but it was negated because of Lute's timeout? No wonder this guy only has 1 title in 22 tournament appearances :smh:

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
goodbye arizona

yes, i watched that matchup with villanova and it was my pleasure to see the wildcats disappear...

i have a dislike for most pac 10 style basketball, so i'm always happy to see those teams lose...

though i have nothing against washington, i wouldn't mind watching gonzago boot the bruins on thursday...

Sango

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Re: goodbye arizona

Great game between Texas vs West Va... Last second 3pt shot by Paulino.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
ucla bruins advance

ucla advances as gonzaga folded in the final 2 minutes.

on a tangent, i think the ncaa made a horrible choice to allow teams to play within their own geographic regions... in doing so, there's too much of a home court advantage influencing the outcome of the games...

for example, teams like ucla and gonzaga SHOULD NOT be playing on the west coast, much less california...

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Re: ucla bruins advance

I caught the end of the UCLA/'Zaga game and saw the final two possessions in the Texas/WV game and I am glad to see West Virginia OUT of the tournament. Their coach must know that thier style of play wouldnt last long and their lack of talent would be exposed soon enough.

As far as UCLA... What a comeback. But I havent seen a team choke in the final 3 minutes of a game like that since.... Well last season when the 'great' Lute Olsen tried to milk the clock with an 8 point lead and Illinois made the come back to win in the Elite 8.

cranrab said:
on a tangent, i think the ncaa made a horrible choice to allow teams to play within their own geographic regions... in doing so, there's too much of a home court advantage influencing the outcome of the games...

I disagree here. I know the selection committee tries to place teams within proximity of their region and I dont think it makes much sense to send a west coast team to the southern, midwestern, or eastern region just to prevent a 'home court advantage'. I think UCLA wouldve beaten Gonzaga whether the game was played in Oakland or Spokane, WA.

As far as the thread goes... Now that half the Elite 8 is set... I like Texas to beat LSU and UCLA to beat Memphis to win their respected Regional Finals and move on to Indianapolis.

Hope tomorrow's action is better than today's. :yes:

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Re: ucla bruins advance

xfactor said:
I disagree here. I know the selection committee tries to place teams within proximity of their region and I dont think it makes much sense to send a west coast team to the southern, midwestern, or eastern region just to prevent a 'home court advantage'. I think UCLA wouldve beaten Gonzaga whether the game was played in Oakland or Spokane, WA.

it's not only the potential for 'home court' influence i object to.

i think it would also be good for college basketball for fans to be exposed to the other types and styles of play out there.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
villanova v. boston college

great game, rugged basketball, fierce competition.

that's why i love east coast basketball over west coast basketball.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Well... The final four is set.

Region winners:

Atlanta- LSU
Oakland- UCLA
Washington D.C.- George Mason :eek:
Minneapolis- Florida

It'll be interesting to see how these matchups play on the main stage especially with people across America jumping on GMU's bandwagon, hoping the #11 seed can win the title.

So far I think the Final Four will play out like this...

UCLA beats LSU

Florida beats George Mason ending the underdog run

UCLA beats Florida for the title :lol:

On another note... A lot of sports writers are saying that George Mason is the best 'cinderella' of all time. I'm not old enough to remember so of the older teams mentioned like Jim Valvano's NC State team... Or that Villanova team that beat Georgetown ( In '85 I think ) so what are some of you older guy's opinions on that?

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yup, UCLA and Florida brought LSU and George Mason back down to reality. George Mason had no chance to beat Florida since it was time for the REAL deal. It was also funny that so many people thought LSU was going to roll over UCLA. Falling victim to the media hype. :smh:

Well, 2 down, one more to go. Let's go UCLA. :lol: