Man... I'm 28 min 19 sec Into Kevin Hart's New Netflix Special 'No F**ks Given' & I Literally Haven't Laughed or Even Smirked Once

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
This is literally the crux of my point... it's one thing to be unknown to a broad Black audience, another to be unfunny to a broad Black audience. It's not that Dave was a household name in Black homes before Chapelle show. It's that he was considered funny by those who did know him, and well respected by other more well-known Black comics. So, by the time Chapelle Show propelled him to stardom, folk were able to go back and see how funny he was all along. The difference with Kevin Hart is a reverse trajectory. Whereas the more folk get to know Dave, the more they like him/his work. The more they get to know Kevin, the less they like him/his work. That's not always been the case for Kevin, but he IS on a downslide and he knows it.
Kev on down slide? Didn’t the last 2 jumanji do close to a billion a piece?

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So by your definition this recent Kevin hart standup was funny.. cause if 2 million people watched it and 40,000 liked it than that means it was funny even if 1.96 million thought it was trash

The people who watched it already had Netflix and didn’t pay to specifically go see him.

It’s like those people that say McDonald’s is nasty, billions of people aren’t eating food that’s nasty.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm sure in your mind you think you're doing the same, but nope... all you're doing is misapplying a point you missed altogether. I never said Dave was "hot in the streets." I said Dave's appeal didn't begin with the Chappelle Show. Clearly, he'd put in work beforehand. His mass appeal obviously came with Chappelle Show, but it was his prior grind that earned him the show. Jordan missed the finals 9x (7x before his first ring). Dave not being as popular before the Chappelle Show doesn't mean he was not considered funny before then. "Funny" (or not) is the center of the entire dust up with Kevin vs Dave. Nobody expects Kevin to be Dave. They expect Kevin to be funny. Dave is funny.

I apologize but I don’t have anything else to say to you because you’re all over the place but

200.gif

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Did Kevin write Jumanji? We're talking about his standup.
Kev is in diff forms of comedy.. standup, movies, hosting.. 1 of the few that gets consistent work in both or makes major money in all aspects.. if you talking about standup this 1 didn’t hit but it dosent mean he is done or can redeem himself

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Kev is in diff forms of comedy.. standup, movies, hosting.. 1 of the few that gets consistent work in both or makes major money in all aspects.. if you talking about standup this 1 didn’t hit but it dosent mean he is done or can redeem himself
Didn't say he's done and can't redeem himself. I'm saying this one didn't hit.
That said, he's also gotten mixed reviews for his last two prior specials. So...

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The people who watched it already had Netflix and didn’t pay to specifically go see him.

It’s like those people that say McDonald’s is nasty, billions of people aren’t eating food that’s nasty.
There’s thousands of titles on Netflix.. I’m pretty sure 90 percent of the material people don’t watch.. there’s something that drew them specifically to watch it.. you weren’t forced to watch it.. so if majority thought it was garbage but 40,000 thought it was funny does that mean it was good?

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Didn't say he's done and can't redeem himself. I'm saying this one didn't hit.
That said, he's also gotten mixed reviews for his last two prior specials. So...
Hey you said downside..that usually means fallen off.. not hitting on 1 thing dosent mean he’s on a downside just means he had a bad game

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
There’s thousands of titles on Netflix.. I’m pretty sure 90 percent of the material people don’t watch.. there’s something that drew them specifically to watch it.. you weren’t forced to watch it.. so if majority thought it was garbage but 40,000 thought it was funny does that mean it was good?

We both know that it doesn’t mean it was good if those were the numbers. But we have no way to see the numbers on who thought it was good or bad?

I didn’t personally care for it but I have two friends that said it was ok. So out of us three two liked it, what does that mean?

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Iron man 2 and 3 were garbage.. yet both were billion dollar films.. sometimes garbage things get supported... sometimes promotion and influence helps get garbage things money...there are bad things that have racked up money

guyver

Rising Star
Platinum Member
You're literally just repeating the same lengthy diatribe. You could just as well copy/paste it. Might as well. There is no evidence short of an actual scientific poll conducted at that time of Black people on what they thought of Dave Chappelle that you'll accept, and you'd probably even reject that. Dave's career speaks for itself, and there's never been a time when Black America thought he was unfunny. Unknown, yes, but not unfunny. Arguing that Dave wasn't fully embraced at a time when he also wasn't a household name makes no sense. You're comparing Dave early in his career to Kevin at the pinnacle of his career being told he's not doing the one thing he's supposed to do--be funny.

Everyone's been unknown at some point. Even Obama had to win over Black votes from Hillary with his Iowa victory, but only a fool would think that's relevant to where he landed in the hearts of Black America. While you're quibbling about where they started, there's no debate about where they landed... Dave is a GOAT and Kevin is a gimmick. The latter ran its course, and he's whining about it instead of going back to the lab & recapturing HIS mojo, not Dave's. Stop making so many excuses for a grown ass man who'd call you crab ass nigga for any criticism, no matter how constructive. Kevin may be a popular, profitable brand, but so is McDonalds. That man needs to step his game up, and y'all making excuses for him ain't helping him do that.

I told you from the start. Agree to disagree. I also acknowledged the fact that neither of us could prove our opinions to be facts and supported my opinion with the observations that formed them.Instead of just accepting my opinion you decided to fight for Dave as if he were paying you.

I never asked you to provide any numbers. In your response you mentioned ratings and my response was you had not done so or any type of data. I also indirectly said you don't need to waste your time attempting to do so. I'll entrain you though. Just get people here to support your idea that Dave was huge with Black people pre-Chappelle Show. I even gave you an example of someone in the industry that supported my opinion and I even stated he may be questionable. So you saying id fight the results of a poll is laughable.

At no point did I compare Dave to any other comedian from a talent stand point. That includes Dave to Kevin. We are talking about Dave being known and or respected at a high level by blacks pre-Chappelle Show. Not if he was funny.

Now instead of moving on your saying it doesn't matter because everyone was unknown at some point. If the discussion is around Dave's visibility pre-Chappelle, what does his current level of success have to do with what the discussion. Also you seem to be indirectly agreeing with me now but don't want to outright say it.

You know why I keep making sure to say pre-Chappelle Show? Because I'm making it clear on when I'm talking about and preventing you from moving the goal post. Which you keep trying to do by talking about Dave's major success with blacks after Chappelle Show.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

It’s gonna be he’d to redeem himself in standup because every muthafucka’s gonna be look at his special like this

tenor.gif

:roflmao:

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
We both know that it doesn’t mean it was good if those were the numbers. But we have no way to see the numbers on who thought it was good or bad?

I didn’t personally care for it but I have two friends that said it was ok. So out of us three two liked it, what does that mean?
I know most people thought it was garbage..what does that mean?

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
It’s gonna be he’d to redeem himself in standup because every muthafucka’s gonna be look at his special like this

tenor.gif

:roflmao:
Word of mouth..clips of segments..heavy promotion can easily influence people to forget about this 1 and give another 1 a chance

guyver

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Yeppppp... I was 1 of the few that actually seen half bake in the movies.. that shit got taken out the theatre in less than 6 weeks.. I got it on vhs as soon as it came out and brought screwed on dvd.. most people don’t even know what “screwed” is.. I seen men in tights when it first hit hbo.. i actually was more hyped to see blue streak cause Chapelle was gonna be in it than Martin.. my friends use to be like your boy in such a such movie cause they knew I liked his brand of comedy.. in fact only reason why me and 4 of my other boys seen half baked was cause I recommend it..everybody else was like nig you better hope this movie good cause we not trying to waste free tix.. the movie fortunately won them over especially when they did the nyc nod to the less than $5 date.. lot of nigs wasn’t huge fans of that dude until Chappelle show.. hell I know mad people that literally were like yooo now I see why you was a fan of his all these yrs ..Chappelle show put him on the radar to a broader audience.. I can bet most people didn’t even see half bake until they saw Chappelle show or watch his old standup until Chappelle show

This all I've been saying. I never said he didn't have a fan bass before Chappelle Show. I'm a part of his fan base pre-Chappelle Show lls.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Attempted to never succeeded on getting past several mins

i did like his character in mr Brooks though and his segment in the movie waiting if that counts for anything

I’ve never seen anything from him so I have no opinion of him. I just know that he was the most popular comedian for a time and I’m sure that his audiences laughed.

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Hey you said downside..that usually means fallen off.. not hitting on 1 thing dosent mean he’s on a downside just means he had a bad game
I said "down slide," not "down side." Kinda like when a fighter is on a two-fight skid. That doesn't mean they're a bum or washed, but it does mean they might need to get back in the gym and retool their game. Kevin's gotten hella mixed reviews in the last couple outings, but I'm not saying he can't bounce back. He just won't bounce back if he keeps feeding his ego and insecurities, instead of his abilities and insights as a comic.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I agree with most of what you said accept the 53,000 people part.. Dane cook and Amy were doing 5 fig shows and those fuckers aren’t funny.. not saying Kevin is garbage like them just saying you can actually not be universally funny and draw crowds

^^^^

EXCELLENT POINT.

funny story, I actually got a big job offer because I was in a meeting and one of the client's people made a joke

and it was a Dane Cook one

Nobody thought it was funny...

But I laughed and said the follow up line

The white girl looked at me like I was her long lost love huge smile and pointed at me.

All my co workers looking at me wtf?

After the meeting she invites me to lunch and now I am trying to bullsh*t cause I just happened to watch that cornball on HBO one late night on accident, I would watch weird sh*t all the time because I like to KNOW what the OTHERS are watching and thinking I would watch Fox News, golf, NASCAR etc...

She barely lets me talk she just ASSUMES I am a Dane fan and long story short offers me opportunity which would basically screw over my job now.

I always tell people learn about OTHER stuff outside your comfort zone..

different music, sports, books, etc....

Last edited:

Venom

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm 10 mins in and I'm chuckling cause it's not funny. Only time I genuinely laughed was the trailer because he made a funny face.