Love Instantly Gives LeBron James Something Chris Bosh Never Could

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...um=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

187b11f74c0beb34c950176fa245a626_crop_north.png

LeBron James left Chris Bosh and the Miami Heat behind because he wanted to play with younger talent, save northeast Ohio and right the wrong of his departure from the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2010—in some order.

Playing alongside Kevin Love, a big man with skills that exceed Bosh's in a number of key areas, would be a pretty nice bonus as well.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports confirmed the whispers that had been floating around since before James even officially rejoined the Cavs, reporting Love would soon be in Cleveland as part of a blockbuster deal sending Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett and a first-rounder to the Minnesota Timberwolves.

It's easy to think of Love and Bosh as similar players, as both spread the floor and fit the mold of next-generation stretch bigs. But those similarities exist only on the surface. A deeper look reveals just how much more Love brings as a sidekick to LBJ.

hi-res-da63a16f8c59726e5459bac86dc2bea3_crop_exact.jpg

Bosh made a leap as a perimeter threat last year, firing off a career-high 218 triples and hitting 74. Prior to last season, Bosh's career high in attempts was 74. In hitting 33.9 percent of those threes, Bosh proved he was evolving into exactly the kind of perimeter threat teams covet in the frontcourt.

Love, though, is already the paragon of that player type.

He pumped in 190 three-point shots on a whopping 505 attempts last season, good for an accuracy rate of 37.6 percent. Opposing defenses worry about Bosh's outside shot; Love's jumper is an anxiety-inducer of an entirely different sort.

Not only that, but Bosh's improved accuracy was also just as much a result of his own hard work as it was the wide-open looks he enjoyed while playing for one of the league's best passing teams. Love, on the other hand, attempted far more shots in far worse offensive circumstances. He drew the attention of entire defensive game plans, whereas Bosh was more of an afterthought.

Despite all of that, Love was more efficient. Imagine what he could do with James attracting attention.

hi-res-9c920d60b8196cc64b338a4ae5e17abc_crop_exact.jpg

Love won't just mooch off James next year. He'll also return the favor in a way Bosh never did: by moving the ball.

"I don't even really care about the 26 [points] and 12 [rebounds], I care about his basketball IQ. His basketball IQ is very, very high," James said of Love, per Brian Windhorst and Marc Stein of ESPN.com.

Don't be mistaken: Bosh was never a poor passer with the Heat. And his assist percentage cracked double digits in his final five seasons with the Toronto Raptors, per Basketball-Reference. As was the case with outside shooting, though, Love is simply more skilled than Bosh.

hi-res-200a4719fc6194b60c6a332efc8520ae_crop_exact.jpg

That's because the Heat big man isn't the only player whose game has evolved. Love, who spent his first five seasons putting up passing numbers very much in line with Bosh's career marks, made enormous strides as a facilitator last year.

In racking up an assist percentage of 21.4 percent, per Basketball-Reference, Love nearly doubled his previous career high. No surprise, then, that he racked up 4.4 dimes per game in 2013-14. While it's true the Heat's offensive system rarely called for Bosh to make a play, it's hard to argue he could have equaled Love's distribution output under any circumstances.

When you also note that Bosh's and Love's career turnover percentage is nearly identical, Love's value as a passer stands out all the more starkly.

hi-res-be16ace6dd6ee244cea29ed9644d68a2_crop_exact.jpg

Shooting and passing aside, Love has crushed Bosh's production on the glass throughout his career. Bosh took some heat last season as his rebound average stayed below seven per game for the second straight season, but it's probably not fair to say he's an outright poor rebounder.

Miami moved Bosh away from the bucket with increasing frequency over the past four years, effectively eliminating many of his chances at easy boards. When looking to defend Bosh's rebounding decline, that has always been the first piece of evidence.

Love, though, proves perimeter bigs can still do work on the glass. He averaged 12.5 pulls per contest last season. And though an increasing percentage of those rebounds came on the defensive end, we know Love can be a beast on the offensive boards when he's in position.

For proof, we need only look at his first two years in the league—seasons in which he spent almost all of his time in the lane. He led the NBA in offensive rebound percentage in both of those years, per Basketball-Reference.

The caveat, of course, is that Love's refusal to defend often leaves him in excellent rebounding position. He's not alone; David Lee has been padding his rebound totals the same way for years. Bosh is a far more active and committed team defender than Love has ever been, and his rebound chances suffer because he doesn't give up easy buckets in hopes of snaring a miss.

That's not to say all of Love's boards are cheapies. He grabbed 4.9 contested rebounds per contest last year, third in the league according to SportVU data provided to NBA.com. Nonetheless, not all of the differences between Love and Bosh weigh in favor of the former.

James will likely find himself missing his former running mate on defense.

Tyson Chandler, NBA scout extraordinaire, has the book on Love:
<iframe width="630" height="354" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lqmt6f2PYzQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's a small price to pay for everything else Love brings, though.

On paper, and by virtually any comprehensive statistical measure (PER and win shares, in particular), Love is a better player than Bosh. The fact that Love, 25, is also four-and-a-half years younger can't be ignored either. What remains to be seen is whether James' new teammate can adapt as effectively as his old one did.

That'll be a tough act to follow, as Bosh completely altered his game to fit within a unique Heat system that was built to maximize James' strengths. We don't know if Love can be as effective when he doesn't get the sheer volume of looks a No. 1 option typically enjoys. He's been effective in that role, but maybe playing second fiddle will help both him and the Cavs get the most out of their partnership.

Ultimately, there's a lot Love can give James that Bosh couldn't. But there's also something James will give Love: a chance to prove his gaudy stats actually represent a skill set that leads to wins.

If Love makes the most of that opportunity, he and Bosh, for all their differences, may eventually end up sharing something in common: a championship trophy earned as James' sidekick.

Mt. Yukon

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Comparing Boshs production in Miami against Loves in Minnesota is comparing apples to kiwis...

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
Bosh made a leap as a perimeter threat last year, firing off a career-high 218 triples and hitting 74. Prior to last season, Bosh's career high in attempts was 74. In hitting 33.9 percent of those threes, Bosh proved he was evolving into exactly the kind of perimeter threat teams covet in the frontcourt.

Love, though, is already the paragon of that player type.

He pumped in 190 three-point shots on a whopping 505 attempts last season, good for an accuracy rate of 37.6 percent. Opposing defenses worry about Bosh's outside shot; Love's jumper is an anxiety-inducer of an entirely different sort.

GTFOH!

a 3.7% increase gets you from muhhh to anxiety inducing of another level? :hmm::smh::lol:

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
We'll see how good he is on a winning team

because lord knows his punk ass couldn't do shit when it was his responsibility to make a team worth a DAMN

couldn't do NOTHING

not a thing

he had antwan jamison type impact.

people are going to continue to play bosh like a couple months ago the thought of him going to houston scared half of the entire nba.

fuck out of here with these campaigns trying to build up a dude who couldn't do shit on his own teaming up with lebron james.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I predict in a year Love will be the scapegoat for why the Cavs ain't doing shit........like they use to do Bosh until people started actually watching the games and realizing Wade was a shell of his former self.

Blu Diablo

Promoter of Common Sense
BGOL Investor
because lord knows his punk ass couldn't do shit when it was his responsibility to make a team worth a DAMN

couldn't do NOTHING

not a thing

people are going to continue to play bosh like a couple months ago the thought of him going to houston scared half of the entire nba.

fuck out of here with these campaigns trying to build up a dude who couldn't do shit on his own teaming up with lebron james.

Exactly. This comparison is utter bullshit.

TIMEISMONEY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

couldn't do NOTHING

not a thing

It would be crazy if he was jamison 2.0 in Cleveland :lol:

His defense will be a key issue

Can't wait for the season to start

Maxxam

Rising Star
Platinum Member
If I didn't know better, the media would have me thinking Love had an resume full of meaningful accomplishments :smh::smh:

TIMEISMONEY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That one extra bucket every 25-26 attempts turns a man from brick layer to clutch player.... you ain't heard? :lol:

:hmm:

Actually Bosh was a pretty clutch player. He was bad in some games but overall he's not getting the respect he should in my opinion

TIMEISMONEY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If I didn't know better, the media would have me thinking Love had an resume full of meaningful accomplishments :smh::smh:

White privilege at its best. That's why I love sports, they can try to sweet talk about Love all they want but eventually he has to go and do it on the court. No ands, ifs about it

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
26.1 / 12.5 / 26.97 PER

Vs

16.2 / 6.6. / 19.11 PER

What the fuck are these CACs thinking with this shit. Kevin Love aint shit!!! :hmm:

sammyjax

Grand Puba of Science
Platinum Member
white folks make me so fucking sick sometimes

if lying was ebola earth would be cac free in 72 hours

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
im more interested in seeing Lebron play with Irving than i am with Love

That's how it is for me. I wanted to see what would Wiggins and Irving's game do with Lebron's.....we've been robbed of that with Wiggins. I'm honestly not interested to see what he does for Love's game.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
26.1 / 12.5 / 26.97 PER

Vs

16.2 / 6.6. / 19.11 PER

What the fuck are these CACs thinking with this shit. Kevin Love aint shit!!! :hmm:

How much you want to bet that Love's PPG is closer to 16.2 than 26.1 before the regular seasonis over?

He's not getting 20 FGAs per game in Cleveland.

How much you want to bet Bosh scores more per game next season than Love?

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
How much you want to bet that Love's PPG is closer to 16.2 than 26.1 before the regular seasonis over?

He's not getting 20 FGAs per game in Cleveland.

How much you want to bet Bosh scores more per game next season than Love?

Fair point, you talked about ONE aspect of the comparison... How about the rebounds an PER? :hmm:

Proof positive we have to be twice as good to get half the credit they get, fam.

My we is Bosh so hopefully you are referring to him... :hmm:

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
Fair point, you talked about ONE aspect of the comparison... How about the rebounds an PER? :hmm:

I bet you Bosh averaged 10 rebounds this season and he's closer to the 26.97 PER than Love is after this season.

Bosh was ranked 15th and th PER the two seasons before joining Miami. To put this into perspective. The season before he came to Miami, Bosh ranked 4th in PER and Love ranked 22nd in PER.

Being the sole star on a bum squad will do amazing things to your stat padding ability.

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
I bet you Bosh averaged 10 rebounds this season and he's closer to the 26.97 PER than Love is after this season.

Bosh was ranked 15th and th PER the two seasons before joining Miami. To put this into perspective. The season before he came to Miami, Bosh ranked 4th in PER and Love ranked 22nd in PER.

Being the sole star on a bum squad will do amazing things to your stat padding ability.

Your giving your opinion on NEXT season which hasn't been played yet, I gave stats which are factual and have already occured. We will see but as of the most recent season, Love kicks Bosh's ass across the board.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Bosh or Love, Love or Bosh.

Bosh only led his team to the playoffs because he was in the east. Love's team last year is in the playoffs if he were in the east(yet his numbers don't mean shit). If Bosh played in the west from 03-10, he wouldn't have been in the playoffs(yet somehow his numbers mean shit).

When it comes to these two, you could flip a coin.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
So, playing with scrubs helped him consistently outbattle the other teams to the tune of doubling Boshs rebound production? :cool:

No, what I meant was that there are many example where players that were averaging high numbers on on a bad team, get traded to a championship competing team with other stars and do not average the same numbers.

Love is going to have other teammates that can battle with him and he is going to have other teammates that can score. He will not have to work as hard, thus his numbers will drop.

It happen to bosh because he had nice number playing in Toronto. Once he got to Miami he didn't have to score as much, but his rebounding production was a product of his team being undersized at the 5 spot and playing weak against bigger teams.

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
im more interested in seeing Lebron play with Irving than i am with Love
It's this for me right here.

My mind is in "NBA Jam" mode. I want to see what these two men will do together.

I am not a basketball administration guy by any stretch, but if it was about going young, Wiggins is younger than Love.

Personally, I thought the value of Wiggins upside/athleticism, playing with the best player/IQ in the world, than Love's actual production...but that is a gut feeling, not an informed decision.

white folks make me so fucking sick sometimes

if lying was ebola earth would be cac free in 72 hours

:lol::lol::lol:Ninja, you a fool!

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I like Love, but Bosh can ball, and sacrificed a lot for those Miami teams - stat wise. I doubt Love will get those same stats on a better team WITH the championsip pressure.

He has not tasted championship basketball pressure since high. school, you don't just wake up ready for the 4th Qtr down 5, with 2 minutes left.

This article is bullshit

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Unlike most of you I'm not totally fixated on scoring... I guess being a 3rd option caused him to be a weak ass rebounder too huh? :cool:

it will if they banish him from the block like miami and spo did bosh. yes indeed.

you forget bosh averaged 10+ rebounds as well before the philosophy change in miami.

keep on trying

dagoon121

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I like Love, but Bosh can ball, and sacrificed a lot for those Miami teams - stat wise. I doubt Love will get those same stats on a better team WITH the championsip pressure.

He has not tasted championship basketball pressure since high. school, you don't just wake up ready for the 4th Qtr down 5, with 2 minutes left.

This article is bullshit
For all we know love is a choke

What has he done?