Let's start a IT Come up thread strictly off youtube

blackpepper

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm really beginning to think I belong in a factory in Ohio or something, I just can't get this shit at all, I can't get a decent job to save my life.

Maybe I'm just a factory worker and call it a day. Tired and depressed man.... don't know what else to do.
I'm feeling some of what you're saying. IT isn't for everyone and it certainly not for me, not the way its evolved and developed over the years. But the business world in general feels more and more complicated and cold each day. I'm going to stick it out, but I wouldn't blame anyone that wanted to simplify their life and pursue a career/job that might be easier on their state of mind. Even if your income potential drops off some it may could be worth it.

BlackRob

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Cybersecurity

Entry: $88k
Average: $110k
Experienced: $145k

Heard of but what plans of study?
Girls review below whats needed
Dude explains day to day

Chiyo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm really beginning to think I belong in a factory in Ohio or something, I just can't get this shit at all, I can't get a decent job to save my life.

Maybe I'm just a factory worker and call it a day. Tired and depressed man.... don't know what else to do.
Its not your fault. You bought your shovel at the end of the gold rush. The market is oversaturated and everybody and their mom wants in. Just know that you arent alone and that it isnt your fault in the end.

Make money how you get it, and dont ever let anybody look down on how you put food on your table.

Princenubian

Rising Star
Registered
I'll start, I'm trying to work for home got CompTIA A, S, and N and I'm at WGU for a bachelors degree

Linux essentials

SQL

Learn ITIL

Python

Active Directory

These should get you in the door to start, this is what I'm on and I'm doing Linux essentials right now, I forgot alot of stuff since I didn't use it often so I'm back at it.

Really trying to do that WFH but since I'm in school again I really want part time since I want to knock these classes out in months

Also reddit got a ton of gems for dudes trying to go back school

(13) All about CompTIA certifications. (reddit.com)
(13) Reddit - Dive into anything

For dudes considering WGU get in and get out quick because they got a partnership with KFC and you know eventually they're gonna lose value and become a diploma mill, they all do since they hungry for money and the management usually messes up, happens all the time.

At one time Devry was a pretty good school for IT guys but greed got them and now all the loans the students had are getting waived since the DOE has labeled them a scam, eventually managers too money hungry to use common sense, this will happen to a ton of school especially online since so many people will cheat of exams because they protor companies can't even detect RD software.

This is a hustle thread, hopefully some brothers can chime in to help cats get that bread

******Subbed********

Carry on……

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Its not your fault. You bought your shovel at the end of the gold rush. The market is oversaturated and everybody and their mom wants in. Just know that you arent alone and that it isnt your fault in the end.

Make money how you get it, and dont ever let anybody look down on how you put food on your table.
NOt lying at all, like the "coding" thing came and went, the hustle comes up, people jump on it, half get scammed and repeat the process, not lying at all bruh...

Chiyo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
NOt lying at all, like the "coding" thing came and went, the hustle comes up, people jump on it, half get scammed and repeat the process, not lying at all bruh...
2 days ago The Atlantic wrote an article about the oversaturation in CS: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2024/03/computing-college-cs-majors/677792/

The gist of it is that, Computer Science graduates, have gone up at a large rate. Like California in a gold rush everybody saw gold, ran there, and then the gold disappeared. The sad thing is kids, who dont live in the real world yet, are still being told by youtubers(who are making money selling them the dream of gold), teachers(who dont live in reality in the field at all), and universities(who need them to believe there is gold at the end to justify their prices).

Its all about finding the next gold rush, and making your gold, before it dries up and changes. I remember as a little kid in the 90's where a law degree was seen as a golden ticket. When I was a little older in middle and high school in the 00's Petroleum Engineering was seen as the golden ticket. I was a programmer so I did that and with the creation of the app store and IPO of facebook(year I finished my CS degree) and the new gold rush was on. Even then though it was only really seen as lucrative the past few years.

Nursing is probably going to be the next one. Baby boomers are pretty much out of the workforce thanks to Covid. They are going to need care as time continues.

ScorpDiesel

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
2 days ago The Atlantic wrote an article about the oversaturation in CS: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2024/03/computing-college-cs-majors/677792/

The gist of it is that, Computer Science graduates, have gone up at a large rate. Like California in a gold rush everybody saw gold, ran there, and then the gold disappeared. The sad thing is kids, who dont live in the real world yet, are still being told by youtubers(who are making money selling them the dream of gold), teachers(who dont live in reality in the field at all), and universities(who need them to believe there is gold at the end to justify their prices).

Its all about finding the next gold rush, and making your gold, before it dries up and changes. I remember as a little kid in the 90's where a law degree was seen as a golden ticket. When I was a little older in middle and high school in the 00's Petroleum Engineering was seen as the golden ticket. I was a programmer so I did that and with the creation of the app store and IPO of facebook(year I finished my CS degree) and the new gold rush was on. Even then though it was only really seen as lucrative the past few years.

Nursing is probably going to be the next one. Baby boomers are pretty much out of the workforce thanks to Covid. They are going to need care as time continues.
So wait...we're heading for the Technological Singularity and you equate having a CS degree with the dried up gold rush? Nah slim, a CS degree is the starting point for all the new positions for data scientists, roboticists, prompt engineers, or any position in the field that promotes A.I.

xxironxx

PhD in Trollin
BGOL Investor

Keep your head up fam.

Chiyo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So wait...we're heading for the Technological Singularity and you equate having a CS degree with the dried up gold rush? Nah slim, a CS degree is the starting point for all the new positions for data scientists, roboticists, prompt engineers, or any position in the field that promotes A.I.
Data Science is oversaturated to hell. Prompt Engineering, where we are taking it, will be done by people with little no knowledge of algorithms. We can talk ab out where we are headed, but lets also know where WE are.

Every autistic kid since 2005 or so who liked "Vidya games" was told to code. Everybody started coding, everybody got the degree, it became less valuable. Now we have kids coming out with the degree that cant get shit because theres not enough jobs for them, and all the H1Bs we bring in yearly, to do the work. My team posted a new hire role in December. Less than a week later HR closed it because we had Hundreds of applications from very qualified people who would have slept walked into a job 10 years ago. The reality now is that there are too many people with the credentials. Its not special anymore

BlackRob

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm studying Python on Udemy, couple $20 classes so far okay.
I ordered Python book/flash card as well.
As I understand, Python is the bases for being a programmer in AI.
According to some roadmaps below it is

Anyone with more Python links/AI knowledge base please post
FYI

stizz3000

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm studying Python on Udemy, couple $20 classes so far okay.
I ordered Python book/flash card as well.
As I understand, Python is the bases for being a programmer in AI.
According to some roadmaps below it is

Anyone with more Python links/AI knowledge base please post
FYI

I will not front....I can usually pick shit up after a while, I did one of them Udemy Python courses a few years back and that shit humbled the shit outta me. Maybe I need to take another stab at it

I just felt so lost...I gave up

BlackRob

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Quesitons below, but do you need a Linux+ to setup Cloud environment in AWS?
I didn't do well in my Cloud Practitioner AWS training
perhaps more Linux would help.

I like his suggestions on how to study, but not download a complete Unix environment on the PC.

Should you learn Linux before AWS?
In the realm of cloud computing, Linux plays a pivotal role. Major cloud providers such as Amazon Web Services (AWS),

Should I learn Linux before cloud?
Linux is the most commonly used operating system in the cloud, including on AWS. This means that understanding Linux will help you better understand the underlying infrastructure that supports AWS.

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Is Ohio a good state for jobs? What's a good state that relatively affordable?

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm feeling some of what you're saying. IT isn't for everyone and it certainly not for me, not the way its evolved and developed over the years. But the business world in general feels more and more complicated and cold each day. I'm going to stick it out, but I wouldn't blame anyone that wanted to simplify their life and pursue a career/job that might be easier on their state of mind. Even if your income potential drops off some it may could be worth it.
I got security guard jobs on my resume, since I couldn't find work while going back to school, you have no idea how bad I struggle.

I'm at that point just to live in my car and hustle to come up, that's why I talk so much about another city, get the fuck out of Florida and fuck all these people, never come back and just drop dead up there or make it... I am beyond tired.

I can't even get a call back with the BS degree and CCNA, either the resume shit or something.

Beyond frustrating

blackpepper

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I got security guard jobs on my resume, since I couldn't find work while going back to school, you have no idea how bad I struggle.

I'm at that point just to live in my car and hustle to come up, that's why I talk so much about another city, get the fuck out of Florida and fuck all these people, never come back and just drop dead up there or make it... I am beyond tired.

I can't even get a call back with the BS degree and CCNA, either the resume shit or something.

Beyond frustrating
Dude, most black men have struggled to make a living and provide for their self and family. I suspect that in fact, for a good percentage its a lifelong struggle that few manage to really rise above and ultimately feel financially secure. Starting where most of us start and dealing with the obstacles american society places before us, its a wonder that any of us make it out alive. That said you just can't give up, or all the haters and devils win. Keep learning, sharpening your skills, adapting your approaches. It may take longer than it should, but you will get a break however small, so be ready to leverage it into the next one. Until then keep your head up, indulge in simple pleasures, work on yourself, and count your blessings, however humble.

P.S. I'm in OH, and the job market here is just OK. It doesn't seem especially good, but there is some growth happening right now. It just depends on what type of work you're trying to get into. FYI, its a solidly red state now and the job market feels like it.

Last edited:

chitownsfinest

Rising Star
Platinum Member
What has worked for me is less of an emphasis on getting certs, and more leveraging certs and other self-learning to get you in the door to get the only thing that really counts...REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE. For 10 years I took less-than-desirable jobs (that still paid pretty well) to learn. I've been in countless situations where I was not only the only Black person, but the only non-Indian.

Become an expert in a certain sub-field. Knowing "Salesforce" is too broad. Learn individual disciplines within SF. I actually started trying to get into SAP since the late 90s. Was never able to crack into it, but my fallback area turned out to be even better.

Finally, dont get lazy once you get the IT job. Look at it as an opportunity to get paid to learn. Do the shit others dont want to (i.e. travel to projects in cities where no one necessarily wants to go). Keep learning, work HARD on your interpersonal and soft skills. Look the part, dress the part, talk the part. Keep hustling and fake it till you make it.

Last edited: