Legendary Marvel comic artist Sal Buscema passes away at age 89

Al Smith

Rogue Mod
OG Investor

The longtime Marvel Comics artist, Sal Bucema, known for his iconic runs on titles such as Spectacular Spider-Man, Incredible Hulk, Rom the Spaceknight, and Captain America, has passed away at the age of 89, according to artist Sterling Clark, who recently worked with Buscema on a project:

“Wow. I just received word from Mrs. Joan that Sal Buscema passed away last Friday. He was 89. Today, he would’ve turned 90. When I think back on my childhood and all of the comic books that I read, Sal’s name seems to have appeared in just about all of them. I didn’t just read the books that he illustrated, I studied them.

Every nuance in his pencils and his inks I saw and tried to mimic. He was definitely one of the greats during those years at Marvel, when handling more than three titles a month was not just a requirement but a necessity. Sal’s art had a direct impact on my own, along with his older brother John, Jack Kirby, Gil Kane, John Romita Sr and Ron Frenz.
Sal Buscema was still in high school when he first started working in comic books in the early 1950s, doing inking work at Dell Comics over his brother, the superstar artist, John Buscema. After high school, Buscema served in the military, and then went to work in advertising in the late 1950s/early 1960s, including working with his brother again at an advertising agency. When John returned to comics, Sal went to a different commercial art studio until John finally convinced him to come back to comics in 1968.

John Buscema's interest in his brother doing comics was partially inspired by John's desire to see Sal ink his work, as he trusted his brother more than any other inker at the time. While not the first assignment he had at Marvel, Sal's first PUBLISHED Marvel comic book story was the legendary Silver Surfer #4, inking his brother John, which came out in late 1968...

The cover of Silver Surfer #4
Image via Marvel
In the excellent historical book, Sal Buscema: Comics' Fast and Furious Artist, Jim Amash detailed Buscema's career. Buscema noted how he got such a plum Silver Surfer assignment:

Joe Sinnott inked the first three Silver Surfer [issues]. John was not happy with the inking Joe was doing ... because Joe's style of inking was somewhat overpowering, and at the end it ... didn't look like John Buscema anymore.... John told [Stan], 'I don't want Joe inking my work. He's losing my penciling.' ... He said, 'I want my brother' ...[H]e knew that I knew how to ink his work. He was a little spotty on my first issue, but after that he was absolutely delighted with what I did.
Initially a inker, Buscema moved to penciling, where he soon became one of the most prolific artists of the era, telling Amash, "At first I was very slow. If I knocked out six or eight pages a week I was happy. Then I started getting a little bit better, and I could probably do a couple of pages a day. But once I hit that five-year transitional period, I was like a machine. I could grind the stuff out. ... Everything just fell into place, and all of a sudden I found it very easy to do."

Buscema penciled Avengers with Roy Thomas, where they introduced the Squadron Sinister (the inspiration for the later Squadron Supreme)..

avengers-69-grandmaster-7

In 1972. Buscema launched the Defenders with writer Steve Englehart. He and Englehart had an iconic run on Captain America together, which culminated with the classic "Secret Empire" storyline that revealed that the President of the United States was part of the secret criminal organization, right before he died by suicide in front of Captain America.

Number one does himself in
Image via Marvel
Buscema worked on nearly every major Marvel character in the 1970s at one point or another. He had some some inking work on Amazing Spider-Man, but his first major Spider-Man run came when he launched Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man with Gerry Conway in 1976...

The cover of Spectacular Spider-Man #1
Image via Marvel
Buscema had two major collaborations with writer Bill Mantlo in the late 1970s/1980s, with both an acclaimed run on Rom the Spaceknight, but also a long run on Incredible Hulk (Buscema worked with Roger Stern, as well). Buscema drew the Incredible Hulk for ten years. It was during his time on the Hulk that Buscema became most known for the "Buscema Punch," a distinctive punch that he had developed early in his time at Marvel, but, well, the Hulk punched SO MANY PEOPLE that it became best known for its use in Incredible Hulk...

The Hulk punches people, Buscema-style
Image via Marvel
In 1986, Buscema began penciling AND inking himself on Spectacular Spider-Man, a gig he would maintain for roughly 100 issues, including a particularly well-remembered stint with J.M. DeMatteis on the series in early 1990s (I just wrote recently about how excellent that run was).

The cover of the Spectacular Spider-Man omnibus
Image via Marvel
DeMatteis remembered his beloved collegue today

Sal Buscema has passed away. There's hardly a Marvel character Sal didn't leave his mark on, from Captain America to the Hulk, Avengers to Thor. Working with Sal for two years on Spectacular Spider-Man remains a highlight of my career. Not just a great artist, he was a truly good guy. Safe journeys, Sal. You will be missed.
Buscema also finished Walter Simonson's iconic Thor run as the regular artist (as Simonson stopped drawing the book himself before the ending).

After a stint at DC in the 1990s, Buscema returned to Marvel, inking Pat Olliffe on Spider-Girl, and eventually becoming the regular inker on Ron Frenz's long run on Spider-Girl (which continued until roughly 2011 in a few different series).

When that run finally ended, Buscema was MOSTLY retired, but he continued to work on and off for the rest of his life, often with Frenz or collaborators connected to Frenz.

Sal is survived by his widow, Joan, and their three children.

Source: ComicClubLive
 
If you're an older Comic Book Fan like Myself,
Who didn't grow up on this guy's work?

He drew facial expressions, fights, and punches like it was no one's business.
His (along with writer Steve Englehart) "CAPTAIN AMERICA" run was ICONIC!

The deaths of Sal Buscema and Sly Dunbar in the same week of all this bullshit going on makes My childhood heart even the more heavier.


153511080.jpg
 

Sal Buscema: Comic Artist Extraordinaire​

IMG_0003-scaled.jpeg


The news that Sal Buscema has passed away had me reflecting on how much I loved his art. It also made me reflect on how he is art turned me into the comic book loving person I am.

I love Spider-Man. I think he is the greatest literary character of all time. Not just in comics, but he is, in my opinion, the best character EVER. I have bored my wife, my friends and anyone that will listen to why I think Spider-Man is the greatest. My favorite Spider-Man artist, Sal Buscema. Why? Sal’s ability to tell a story with his art is second to none.

I often think back to the first Spider-Man comic I ever bought. Yes, I still remember the exact issue and exactly where I bought it. One of my first memories I had at school was when my friend gave me a Marvel trading card. The card, Spider-Man vs The Green Goblin. It seems hyperbolic but that single card changed my life, well, my collecting life.


When I learned that The Green Goblin was responsible for the death of Spider-Man’s girlfriend, Gwen Stacy, and on the back of the card it explained that The Green Goblin had also learned Spider-Man was Peter Parker I was hooked. Of course I had no idea what comics those stories happened in, but I was fascinated with The Green Goblin and Spider-Man.

I asked my dad if he could take me somewhere to get a comic book with Spider-Man and The Green Goblin. My dad took me to Mile High Comics in Lakewood. I asked the clerk there if they had any Spider-Man vs. Green Goblin comics. I was told they had only one, The Spectacular Spider-Man #182. It was part 5 of a comic story called The Child Within. The artist, Sal Buscema. The art caught my eye immediately. His Spider-Man was incredible. His Green Goblin, terrifying. The way he drew the fight between Spider-Man, The Green Goblin and Vermin, made it seem like you could feel every punch. The emotion Sal drew on Peter Parker and Harry Osborn’s face transcended the comic medium. From that day on, Sal was my favorite Spider-Man artist.

I would tell everyone that Sal was my favorite. And I would show them examples of why Sal was the best. I made it such a declaration that Sal was my favorite Spider-Man artist that it led to my most cherished piece of original art.

I was shopping at Target one day and my comic book guy Andrew, (yes, I went to Coins, Cards and Comics for over 20 years and developed a friendship with the comic book guy there, and would pepper him with stories on why Sal was the best) called me and said, “Hey, you should come to the store I have something you want.” I asked what it was and he said, “just come to the store, I promise you will freak out.” Intrigued, I left Target and went to the comic store. Once there, Andrew took me to comic book counter and revealed page 19 from The Spectacular Spider-Man #156. I was in shock. Andrew saw it, thought of me due to my quest for a complete The Spectacular Spider-Man run and my love of Sal’s art. I bought it and cried nerd tears. Seeing Sal’s work with no colors, just his lines was legendary.


As I continued my comic collecting, I would seek out Sal’s work. I loved his Defenders run. Did I mention that his cover on Our Love Story is just as amazing? Sal can tell a story with just one picture. No one can tell a story like Sal with pictures. How about his iconic cover to Captain America #137.


When I was a kid, I couldn’t afford The Amazing Spider-Man #39 and 40. So, I bought Marvel Tales #29, with Sal’s incredible pencils on the cover.

Sal made me a comic book fan. His art was second to none. That he has passed has broken my heart. But although he left us, his art and his contribution to pop culture will never be forgotten.

Share this:​

 

Sal Buscema, Senior Stripper​

Skip to comments
c2189c715a1ed88512b3c469bc0ef7c1b986aa6e2e2932e651f5c6d5c00e26ae

D. D. Degg Updated: January 26, 2026 at 4:29 pm EST 1 minute 4 comments
sal-buscema-marvel.jpg
Sal Buscema self-portrait with a few Marvel Comics characters.
Marvel comic book artist Sal Buscema, born January 26, 1936, joins our Senior Strippers club today.

sal-buscema-rawhide-kid.jpg
Rawhide Kid #68 (February 1969) – Sal Buscema
sal-buscema-silver-surfer-.jpg
Silver Surfer #4 (February 1969) – Sal Buscema
Sal is one of a few remaining creators from The Silver Age (1960s) of Marvel comic books. With the help of big brother John Sal started his Marvel career in 1968 by inking but was soon laying out and pencilling stories.

Bouncing around Marvel comics titles (notably The Avengers) he soon settled in on long runs for Captain America and The Defenders. He is also noted for his long run on The Incredible Hulk and as a cover artist for many of the comic books. He continued with Marvel for decades drawing just about every character there. Sal was also the Marvel character go-to guy for those ubiquitous Hostess ads in the 1970s.

sal-buscema-hulk.jpg
sal-buscema-hostess.jpg

Of course we at The Daily Cartoonist have to note Sal’s brief career as a comic strip artist when he drew The Amazing Spider-Man Sunday comic strip for two months from July 28, 1996 to September 15, 1996.

buscema-spider-man-Richmond_Times_Dispatch_1996_07_28.jpg
The Amazing Spider-Man by Stan Lee and Sal Buscema/Joe Sinnott – July 28, 1996
buscema-spider-man-Winston_Salem_Journal_1996_09_15.jpg
The Amazing Spider-Man by Stan Lee and Sal Buscema/Joe Sinnott – September 15, 1996
Happy birthday to “Our Pal Sal” and welcome to the club.
 

Sal Buscema, Co-Creator Of Rom & The Defenders Has Died, Aged 89​

Sal Buscema, Marvel Comics co-creator of the world of Rom, The Defenders, Lady Deathstrike, Jean DeWolff and Starhawk has died at the age of 89


Published Mon, 26 Jan 2026 17:28:08 -0600 by Rich Johnston
|
Last updated Mon, 26 Jan 2026 17:43:57 -0600
|
Comments
Comic book creator Sterling Clark just shared the news that comic book creator Sal Buscema, famed for his work on Hulk, Rom, Defenders, Spectacular Spider-Man, New Mutants and more, died last Friday at the age of 89, noting that today would have been his 90th birthday. He learned the news from his widow, Joanna Buscema, and posted the following to social media.

The Daily LITG, 26th January 2020, Happy BirthdaySal Buscema at the boards
Wow.
I just received word today from Mrs. Joanna Buscema that Sal Buscema passed away last Friday.
He was 89.
Today, he would've turned 90.
When I think back on my childhood and all of the comic books that I read, Sal's name seems to have appeared in just about all of them. I didn't just read the books that he illustrated, I studied them.
Every nuance in his pencils and his inks I saw and tried to mimic. He was definitely one of the greats during those years at Marvel, when handling more than three titles a month was not just a requirement but a necessity. Sal's art had a direct impact on my own, along with his older brother John, Jack Kirby, Gil Kane, John Romita Sr and Ron Frenz.
Ron, God bless him, was the person responsible for Sal and I meeting some time ago and for that I'll be forever grateful. Sal was a very nice, kind and generous person who I am happy to have known and who took note of my skills enough to mentor me. The wonderful conversations we had will always be cherished.
My condolences to his wife Joan, the Buscema family and to all of us fans who grew up with and love his amazing art.
I'll have more posts later.
– SC
Sal Buscema, Co-Creator Of Rom & The Defenders Has Died, Aged 89Sal Buscema, Co-Creator Of Rom & The Defenders Has Died, Aged 89Sal Buscema, Co-Creator Of Rom & The Defenders Has Died, Aged 89
Sal, or Silvio Buscema, was born on the 26th of January, 1936, in Brooklyn, New York. Younger brother of comic book artist John Buscema, Sal began his comics career inking his brother's pages in the fifties, later working in advertising and government illustration before joining Marvel full-time in 1968, earning the Bullpen nickname "Our Pal Sal". He gained a reputation for speed under pressure, including drawing the Incredible Hulk for ten years between 1975 and 1985, when the TV show was running. He then drew an eight-year and a 100-issue run on The Spectacular Spider-Man through the eighties and nineties, as well as working on New Mutants, Captain America, The Defenders, Rom: Spaceknight, The Avengers, Sub-Mariner, and many others, often inking his own work. He also worked on Amazing Spider-Girl in the 2000s with writer Tom DeFalco. Over the years, he co-created characters including The Defenders, the world of Rom the Space Knight, Lady Deathstrike, Jean DeWolff, The U-Foers, Ursa Major, Diamondhead, Squadron Sinister, Valkyrie, Grandmaster, Hyperion, Starhawk, Sabra, Thunderball, and the Time Variance Authority. He won the Inkpot Award (2003), the Hero Initiative Lifetime Achievement Award (2013), and the Joe Sinnott Hall of Fame Award from the Inkwell Awards in 2021. TwoMorrows published Sal Buscema: Comics' Fast & Furious Artist. In recent years, he returned to IDW's Rom universe, as well as The Heroes Union from Binge Books and The R.I.G.H.T. Project on Kickstarter.







Bleeding Cool's thoughts are with the friends and family of Sal Buscema, 1936-2026.
 
Back
Top