Sports Legal: Supreme Court rules for college athletes in compensation dispute with NCAA (NIL)

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Supreme Court rules for college athletes in compensation dispute with NCAA
PUBLISHED MON, JUN 21 202110:14 AM EDTUPDATED 10 MIN AGO

Tucker Higgins@IN/TUCKER-HIGGINS-5B162295/@TUCKERHIGGINS
SHAREShare Article via FacebookShare Article via TwitterShare Article via LinkedInShare Article via Email
KEY POINTS
  • The Supreme Court on Monday handed a unanimous win to Division I college athletes in their legal fight against the National Collegiate Athletic Association over caps the organization sought to impose on compensation related to education.
  • The top court voted 9-0 to affirm lower court rulings that prevented the NCAA from restricting payments to athletes for items such as musical instruments or as compensation for internships.
Texas Longhorns huddle during the second half against the UCLA Bruins in the second round game of the 2021 NCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament at the Alamodome on March 24, 2021 in San Antonio, Texas.
Carmen Mandato | Getty Images
The Supreme Court on Monday handed a unanimous win to Division I college athletes in their legal fight against the National Collegiate Athletic Association over caps the organization sought to impose on compensation related to education.
The top court voted 9-0 to affirm lower court rulings that prevented the NCAA from restricting payments to athletes for items such as musical instruments or as compensation for internships.

The outcome was largely expected following oral argument in the case in March.

Moving Target

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
about time....these D1 school making millions off the athletes and their images without compensating the student-athletes that are the workhorses and out in the sacrifice.....I BEEN ASKING HOW THE FUCK IS N SABAN MAKING 7 MILLION A YEARS AND MY FAM WAS STARVING TRYING TO MAKE HIS WAY THROUGH SCHOOL. No athlete at a D1 schol should be making the school millions and yet they cant get their housing, book money or tuition together lickety split...bc the coaches, staff, and trainers all making excellent salaries off these kids. ....time for the the reparations bitches...pay up to play up!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Hercy Miller, Master P’s son, signs $2 million endorsement deal after NCAA rule change
The incoming Tennessee State University basketball player took advantage of the NCAA’s new rule change.
By Victoria Moorwood Jul 2, 2021, 12:19pm EDT

Hercy Miller, Master P’s son, just secured a multi-million-dollar deal, becoming one of the first student-athletes to take advantage of the NCAA’s new rule. As reported by REVOLT, the organization announced on Wednesday (June 30) that student-athletes will now be allowed to profit off their own images and likeness.

Hercy, who will play basketball for Tennessee State University, signed the $2 million deal with Web Apps America. Master P set up the brand ambassadorship earlier this year but was waiting for the NCAA’s rules to change. Now, HBCU Game Day writes, the 19-year-old could be the highest-paid college basketball player in history.
NCAA now allowing athletes to profit from their own image

“It was a $2 million deal... it’s incredible,” Master P told TMZ on Friday (July 2). “This is gonna change the way college athletes want to stay in school. This is a four-year deal.”

He added, “I’m proud of my son going to an HBCU — this is like playing in the pros now.”

“Like my dad said, this is a blessing,” Hercy told the outlet. “It feels good [to be a millionaire].”

“He works so hard and they say that when you do right, the blessings will come to you,” Master P said. “He’s been doing right; he’s an A student and that’s why this company did this ‘cause they wanted a deal with a student-athlete from an HBUC... This is gonna open the doors for so many athletes.”
Master P receives honorary doctorate degree from Lincoln University

Hercy added that he’s learned how to manage money by watching his entrepreneur and hip hop mogul father, and said he plans to use the earnings to give back to his community. The incoming college freshman is hosting a camp on July 21 where he’ll give away free backpacks and school supplies to local kids. He’s also planning to reward himself with a new Tesla.

“I learned from my dad, I'm gonna start by giving back to the community around me,” he said.

With the new NCAA allowance, Master P said, student-athletes will be offered a financial literacy course to help them navigate potential deals. Watch Master P and Hercy’s interview and see an Instagram post from the proud dad below.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Hercy Miller, Master P’s son, signs $2 million endorsement deal after NCAA rule change
The incoming Tennessee State University basketball player took advantage of the NCAA’s new rule change.

Hercy Miller, Master P’s son, just secured a multi-million-dollar deal, becoming one of the first student-athletes to take advantage of the NCAA’s new rule. As reported by REVOLT, the organization announced on Wednesday (June 30) that student-athletes will now be allowed to profit off their own images and likeness.

Hercy, who will play basketball for Tennessee State University, signed the $2 million deal with Web Apps America. Master P set up the brand ambassadorship earlier this year but was waiting for the NCAA’s rules to change. Now, HBCU Game Day writes, the 19-year-old could be the highest-paid college basketball player in history.
NCAA now allowing athletes to profit from their own image

“It was a $2 million deal... it’s incredible,” Master P told TMZ on Friday (July 2). “This is gonna change the way college athletes want to stay in school. This is a four-year deal.”

He added, “I’m proud of my son going to an HBCU — this is like playing in the pros now.”

“Like my dad said, this is a blessing,” Hercy told the outlet. “It feels good [to be a millionaire].”

“He works so hard and they say that when you do right, the blessings will come to you,” Master P said. “He’s been doing right; he’s an A student and that’s why this company did this ‘cause they wanted a deal with a student-athlete from an HBUC... This is gonna open the doors for so many athletes.”
Master P receives honorary doctorate degree from Lincoln University

Hercy added that he’s learned how to manage money by watching his entrepreneur and hip hop mogul father, and said he plans to use the earnings to give back to his community. The incoming college freshman is hosting a camp on July 21 where he’ll give away free backpacks and school supplies to local kids. He’s also planning to reward himself with a new Tesla.

“I learned from my dad, I'm gonna start by giving back to the community around me,” he said.

With the new NCAA allowance, Master P said, student-athletes will be offered a financial literacy course to help them navigate potential deals. Watch Master P and Hercy’s interview and see an Instagram post from the proud dad below.

I was told these types of deals will be unfair to the others on the team. Only "amateur" sports need to be worried about education and fairness.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
How bruh?

Reggie took his benefits to some next level shit and got caught.

I dont know why he's complaining about doing the time after.

Oh Reggie did that sh*t AND broke an existing rule

I don't like people trying to rewrite history and argue AGAINST that part.

however

NCAA can retroactively punish...

so they can go back and retroactively forgive

When certain laws are changed those convicted can be freed under the new law.

they aint take OJ's Heisman

and Johnny Manziel ADMITTED to taking money AFTER her received his Heisman... they did NOT take his.

NCAA should and CAN do this on a case by case basis

next up should be the Fab 5

AllUniverse17

Rising Star
Registered
Oh Reggie did that sh*t AND broke an existing rule

I don't like people trying to rewrite history and argue AGAINST that part.

however

NCAA can retroactively punish...

so they can go back and retroactively forgive

When certain laws are changed those convicted can be freed under the new law.

they aint take OJ's Heisman

and Johnny Manziel ADMITTED to taking money AFTER her received his Heisman... they did NOT take his.

NCAA should and CAN do this on a case by case basis

next up should be the Fab 5

Im not telling you the NCAA is perfect... In fact they got to be the dumbest sports organization known to man.

But they should retroactively forgive him based on what?

The new laws dont even apply to what Reggie and his family did.

Reggie knew what he was doing at the time. I have no idea why he would even want his Heisman back.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Im not telling you the NCAA is perfect... In fact they got to be the dumbest sports organization known to man.

But they should retroactively forgive him based on what?

The new laws dont even apply to what Reggie and his family did.

Reggie knew what he was doing at the time. I have no idea why he would even want his Heisman back.

I think their ineptness SHOULD factor in.

They should because of what I mentioned in those other cases

and also IF this rule was in place?

Reggie Bush would have been the highest paid college endorsed athlete till Zion came along.

And I want him to get it back cause he deserve it for what he did on the field.

and the other athletes I mentioned too.

but TRUST i understand your point

AllUniverse17

Rising Star
Registered
I think their ineptness SHOULD factor in.

They should because of what I mentioned in those other cases

and also IF this rule was in place?

Reggie Bush would have been the highest paid college endorsed athlete till Zion came along.

And I want him to get it back cause he deserve it for what he did on the field.

and the other athletes I mentioned too.

but TRUST i understand your point

But then your argument has nothing to do with the laws changing.

There's no doubt he did what he did on the field.

But him getting all those kickbacks from USC is so bad for the sport. There HAS to be punishment for it.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
But then your argument has nothing to do with the laws changing.

There's no doubt he did what he did on the field.

But him getting all those kickbacks from USC is so bad for the sport. There HAS to be punishment for it.
With all the money flowing through college sports, why is Reggie Bush making money the only part of it that's "bad for the sport"?

AllUniverse17

Rising Star
Registered
With all the money flowing through college sports, why is Reggie Bush making money the only part of it that's "bad for the sport"?

I didnt say it was the only part.

We can dissect the entire sport if you want to but my post was just about Reggie wanting his Heisman back. Dude is ridiculous.

Im happy guys will be getting NIL. Ultimately Im for NIL, accessories and a stipend.

But Reggie's case wasnt even about NIL and I find it this dude has no shame to be asking for stuff back.

Last edited:

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I didnt say it was the only part.

We can dissect the entire sport if you want to but my post was just about Reggie wanting his Heisman back. Dude is ridiculous.

Im happy guys will be getting NIL. Ultimately Im for NIL, accessories and a stipend.

But Reggie's case wasnt even about NIL and I find it this dude has no shame to be asking for stuff back.
I find it funny that everybody that complains about Reggie Bush completely forgets about Pete Carroll being popped for shit that the NCAA considered illegal as well. Reggie got punished. Pete was able to walk away with no repercussions.

Constantly allowing these guilty coaches to get off scot-free while punishing the "student" athlete is bullshit too. However, no one wants to talk about that part.

Before you say it, the NCAA could have required that coach contracts include clauses for punishment (namely financial) if they are found guilty of breaking certain NCAA rules.

AllUniverse17

Rising Star
Registered
I find it funny that everybody that complains about Reggie Bush completely forgets about Pete Carroll being popped for shit that the NCAA considered illegal as well. Reggie got punished. Pete was able to walk away with no repercussions.

Constantly allowing these guilty coaches to get off scot-free while punishing the "student" athlete is bullshit too. However, no one wants to talk about that part.

Before you say it, the NCAA could have required that coach contracts include clauses for punishment (namely financial) if they are found guilty of breaking certain NCAA rules.

I didnt say anything against coaches getting punished though.

Of course they should be.

But thats not an argument for Reggie and USC getting anything back.

Im not defending the NCAA as a whole. As an organization they been trash. Still, there has to be rules to college sports.