Larry Merchant on Why Mayweather imploded after the fight

Ninja05

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ortiz was not the biggest or strongest fighter Floyd has faced...this is getting crazy. He was the fastest either. The biggest/strongest was de la hoya - who was fighting at 165 ring weight, coming off knocking out Mayorga.

Im really starting to think people are just not giving a fuck about the facts. Comparing Pac's fight with De La Hoya and May's fight with him. Yet when you try to bring in actual facts, emotion and passion comes in and folks start getting into calling Mayweather a bitch or a runner or scared.:hmm:

Meanwhile, I applaud the man's business acumen and wonder why there isn't a real discussion on how he was able to control his career in a sport that left Ali damn near brain dead. Everybody talking about he can make more money with endorsements ..like Pac. No..that's what makes you a $40 million dollar slave, where you can't even discuss a social issue without fear of losing $5 million a year.

Yeah I am a fan of boxing so I want to see the fight. But I can see the hate runs so deep that it causes people to not realize simple shit.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Ortiz was not the biggest or strongest fighter Floyd has faced...this is getting crazy. He was the fastest either. The biggest/strongest was de la hoya - who was fighting at 165 ring weight, coming off knocking out Mayorga.

Im really starting to think people are just not giving a fuck about the facts. Comparing Pac's fight with De La Hoya and May's fight with him. Yet when you try to bring in actual facts, emotion and passion comes in and folks start getting into calling Mayweather a bitch or a runner or scared.:hmm:

Meanwhile, I applaud the man's business acumen and wonder why there isn't a real discussion on how he was able to control his career in a sport that left Ali damn near brain dead. Everybody talking about he can make more money with endorsements ..like Pac. No..that's what makes you a $40 million dollar slave, where you can't even discuss a social issue without fear of losing $5 million a year.

Yeah I am a fan of boxing so I want to see the fight. But I can see the hate runs so deep that it causes people to not realize simple shit.

:lol: you mean the same 'fans' who were in awe of Pac destroying bum ass Margarito because he came to the ring as a Middleweight...

YES... simply off of his size because Margarito hasn't done anything impressive in years and the small amount of impressive shit he has done is suspect imo...

but Mayweather embarrasses a young champion coming off a good win, who was also showing up as a Middleweight, and they are complaining about the skill gap.

Both Pac and Floyd are considered the best, but two completely different standards are used to judge them by some people.

CT_POPPA

Support BGOL
Registered
Oh Ok :hmm:

<object width="448" height="374"><param name="movie" value="http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/e/16711680/wshh2Q4HBXJ58BK72Gzk"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/e/16711680/wshh2Q4HBXJ58BK72Gzk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" width="448" height="374"></embed></object>​

DiGeneral

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How are you saying this? The guy fought Floyd straight up and won maybe one, maybe even two (depending on who's scoring) rounds of their four round fight before getting legally sucker punched...

And... what nobody seems to want to mention... Ortiz was landing the harder shots and Floyd was not running away like he used to (very effectively). He was staying on the ropes a lot more, like Pacquiao does now, because they've gotten older and those legs don't carry them around the ring the same anymore, so Floyd spent a lot of time absorbing hard shots all over his arms, body, and head, from the biggest and strongest guy he's fought to date.

Then, coincidentally, Floyd decided to do something he has NEVER done before in 41 previous fights: He took advantage of a cheap opportunity to end the fight early instead of beating him like a champion, realizing that it could spoil his legacy.

My question is simple: What made Floyd lose his composure and ring control? Those have always been his #1 strength, and everybody has been saying how AWESOME he looked... If that was the case, then what would make him think he needed to end the fight early, and with a cheap shot, no less? He's never done that before, so why would he do that now when fighting such a seemingly "UNWORTHY" opponent?

I would expect erratic behavior from Ortiz, since he's young and fights almost completely with emotion, but Mayweather NEVER loses control, that was part of his legacy.... Why risk that for little 'ol Victor Ortiz if he's not supposed to be on Mayweather's level?

This dude is obviously a Mexican't. Did we watch the same fight? FOH!!!!

On who's card did Ortiz win 2 rounds? What would make him want to end the fight early? Hmmm, Oh I don't know a fucking headbutt!

peterpiper1978

Star
Registered
How are you saying this? The guy fought Floyd straight up and won maybe one, maybe even two (depending on who's scoring) rounds of their four round fight before getting legally sucker punched...

And... what nobody seems to want to mention... Ortiz was landing the harder shots and Floyd was not running away like he used to (very effectively). He was staying on the ropes a lot more, like Pacquiao does now, because they've gotten older and those legs don't carry them around the ring the same anymore, so Floyd spent a lot of time absorbing hard shots all over his arms, body, and head, from the biggest and strongest guy he's fought to date.

Then, coincidentally, Floyd decided to do something he has NEVER done before in 41 previous fights: He took advantage of a cheap opportunity to end the fight early instead of beating him like a champion, realizing that it could spoil his legacy.

My question is simple: What made Floyd lose his composure and ring control? Those have always been his #1 strength, and everybody has been saying how AWESOME he looked... If that was the case, then what would make him think he needed to end the fight early, and with a cheap shot, no less? He's never done that before, so why would he do that now when fighting such a seemingly "UNWORTHY" opponent?

I would expect erratic behavior from Ortiz, since he's young and fights almost completely with emotion, but Mayweather NEVER loses control, that was part of his legacy.... Why risk that for little 'ol Victor Ortiz if he's not supposed to be on Mayweather's level?

official scorecard for you haters:

4iyhye.jpg

caboverd

Rising Star
Registered
My $.02

The sport NEEDS May v. Paq, but, unfortunately, Mayweather doesn't give a shit about boxing other than his ranking and legacy. He sees himself as the greatest prize fighter ever to step foot in the square circle already. He doesnt need Paq for his legacy and I'm sure fear doesn't play a role in the delay either.

It's all finance. It's clear this will easily be the richest prize fight we may ever see. I believe the delays and demands were only made to stretch and manipulate public interest.
Just think, if and when that fight is made, would $150 PPV be too much to ask? Or would you struggle thru a tele-stream?

Personally, I want to be in the venue where history would be made, but if I could not, I would put down $200 if that's what it took!!

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor

They dont hear you family :yes: