LAPD shoots at Suspect, Kills Him, and Innocent 14 Year Old Girl

arnoldwsimmons

Rising Star
Platinum Member
14-year-old girl in dressing room killed by LAPD bullet in shooting that also left suspect dead

A teenage girl at a Burlington clothing store was killed by a bullet from an LAPD officer during a chaotic shooting Thursday that killed the alleged suspect and wounded another person.

Preliminary information released by the Los Angeles Police Department indicated that police rounds penetrated a wall, killing the 14-year old in a dressing room.

LAPD Chief Michel Moore, who was out of town with family but briefed on the incident, called the girl’s shooting “devastating and tragic” in an interview with The Times on Thursday evening.

“It’s just absolutely heartbreaking, and I cannot find words to try to comfort a mother and a family, but I will ensure them and the public and our people that we will conduct a complete and thorough investigation.”

Officers responded around 11:45 a.m. to reports of an assault with a deadly weapon at the store near Victory and Laurel Canyon boulevards, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

At the store, authorities encountered a man they said was assaulting someone, and they opened fire, according to preliminary findings by the Police Department. It was not immediately clear what prompted officers to shoot.

The man was taken into custody and died at the scene, said LAPD Officer Drake Madison, a spokesperson for the department.

During a search for additional suspects or victims, an officer found the slain girl who had been struck by a round fired by the responding officers, LAPD officials said in a Twitter post.

“As officers contacted the suspect and OIS occurred, one of the officer’s rounds penetrated a wall that was behind the suspect, beyond that wall was a dressing room. Officers search the dressing room and found a 14 year old female victim who was struck by gunfire,” the tweet from the LAPD’s public information officer read.

Another woman was injured and taken to a trauma center, said Nicholas Prange, a spokesperson with the Fire Department. Her condition wasn’t immediately known.

Moore said police were still pulling video of the encounter, including from multiple closed-circuit cameras within the store, but that it appeared the girl was in a dressing room with her mother when she was struck by a bullet fired by an officer on the other side of a wall.

“We have a young girl who was in a dressing room behind a wall that my understanding was in the path of where the officer fired,” Moore said. “This is a devastating and tragic circumstance, and it occurred during the actions of one of our officers.”

William Briggs, president of the civilian Police Commission that reviews all police shootings and decides whether the involved officers were justified in opening fire or should face administrative sanction or punishment, also called the shooting tragic and promised it would be thoroughly investigated.

“I’m being kept apprised and I’m being assured this is getting the highest attention in terms of investigation,” Briggs said. “That’s what they’re going through now.”

Prosecutors and investigators with the California Department of Justice also have the power to review police shootings to assess whether the officers involved were justified.

Moore said it did not appear that the officer who fired “would have known that there was anyone behind there or that he was looking at anyone other than the suspect and a wall,” but said every aspect of what occurred and why would be analyzed by LAPD investigators.

“There’s not a police officer in America who would ever want this type of circumstance to occur,” Moore stressed.

Moore said Deputy Chief Dominic Choi, who is acting chief in Moore’s absence, was on scene and had been provided a walk through of the incident.

At a news conference Thursday, Choi said the area behind the suspect “just looks like a straight wall.”

Investigators continued processing the scene and hadn’t found a firearm as of the afternoon, he said. A “very heavy” metal cable lock was found near the suspect.

Choi said it wasn’t yet clear whether the lock prompted officers to shoot.

To provide full transparency, Moore said he has directed that the department compile and release by Monday body-worn and closed-circuit video of the incident, as well as radio calls and other available information. He said the store has “an extensive amount” of cameras installed.

The full investigation of the shooting, however, will take longer, he said.

“We’re asking for the public and the news media as well to allow us to conduct a full investigation,” Moore said. “The facts will be the facts, and we’ll have them known.”

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
The man was taken into custody and died at the scene, said LAPD Officer Drake Madison, a spokesperson for the department.

I hope they have video footage of this

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I hope they have video footage of this
It was in a store so there should be plenty of video. The better question is will they release it or will they do like they did with Costco shooting and try to bury it.

Race Harley

Rising Star
Platinum Member
LAPD will claim...

11.jpg

... and close the case.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

OutlawR.O.C.

R.I.P. shanebp1978
BGOL Investor

I'm far from a police apologist but I can sympathize with them on this one.

Dude was beating that woman to death and (allegedly) there were reports that dude may have been an active shooter.

It's tragic but there would be no way to know the young woman was in danger since she was hiding, it would be different if they fired while she was out in the open.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Dude was beating that woman to death and (allegedly) there were reports that dude may have been an active shooter.

It's tragic but there would be no way to know the young woman was in danger since she was hiding, it would be different if they fired while she was out in the open.
Aren't trained shooters supposed to be aware of their surroundings? What about using a tazer or two?

DMXtreem

Rising Star
Platinum Member

I have to go the other way on this. Upon hearing about this I assumed this happened outside of a store, the fact that it happened inside changes things greatly. Tactically, I'd want to absolutely know if the presence of a gun by the suspect has been determined. If that has not been determined then I would be extremely hesitant to deploy / shoot a rifle inside of a store for fear of firing it and having this exact thing happen. Being aware of your foreground / the area in front of you including your target and beyond is one one the first fundamental rules of shooting safety. The muzzle energy of a rifle is far too much to be contained within a structure like a department store, where the walls are nearly hollow and made out of prefab material. A 5.56mm round out of a rifle at close range is likely to pass straight through a human body and continue on well beyond the shooter's intentions and supposed immediate threat. IMHO, tactically speaking, using a rifle inside the store was a bad call, a handgun would have been sufficient and probably would have sparred the child's life.

Last edited:

OutlawR.O.C.

R.I.P. shanebp1978
BGOL Investor
I have to go the other way on this. Upon hearing about this I assumed this happened outside of a store, the fact that it happened inside changes things greatly. Tactically, I'd want to absolutely know if the presence of a gun by the suspect has been determined. If that has not been determined then I would be extremely hesitant to deploy / shot a rifle inside of a store for fear of firing it and having this exact thing happen. Being aware of your foreground / the area in front of you including your target and beyond is one one the first fundamental rules of shooting safety. The muzzle energy of a rifle is far too much to be contained within a structure like a department store, where the walls are nearly hollow and made out of prefab material. A 5.56mm round out of a rifle at close range is likely to pass straight through a human body and continue on well beyond the shooter's intentions and supposed immediate threat. IMHO, tactically speaking, using a rifle inside the store was a bad call, a handgun would have been sufficient and probably would have sparred the child's life.

I agree with regard to the use of a rifle as opposed to a handgun in the store.

sammyjax

Grand Puba of Science
Platinum Member
Don't non lethal rounds have enough stopping power to incapacitate a person? Like shouldn't you be able to dump a clip of rubber bullets in somebody's ass if need be without the potential for this kind of bullshit?

I'm sure that kid and her family would rather she be nursing an extreme raspberry than this shit

blaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Firstly, the man had let the lady go.
Second, when did it become okay to shoot AR15's in close quarters and indoors?
Third, I never heard a cop say get down, get on the ground, stop, freeze, put your hands up, nothing but she's bleeding and bam bam bam.

SMH

I'm right with you. I mean you want to at least have one or two of the responding officers use less lethals in that situation. It's not like they didn't have the suspect outnumbered greatly in that situation anyway. It's also not like he was going to get away. In those stores there is one way in and one way out and I guarantee you there were units on the door. Also, he was not coming at the police and they didn't have to fire. What about when they used to have the shotty. The reason those weapons are good for home defense is because the pellets don't penetrate walls very well.

This feel like a cse of tactical failure on the part of the police to control the situation and a severe lack of restraint. I mean for crying out loud the victim was between the cops on the shooter. There is a possibility they could have killed her too! There was no good reason to open fire the way they did period.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor

Problem to me is they handling it like a fucking Call of Duty game. Guy had a bike lock. They like 6 deep. All this 'highly trained' shit they keep telling the public about pigs. Cats either too eager to shoot or too fucking scary. Little girl ain't coming back from oblivion and this shit could have been avoided.

I'm just sick of pigs rolling deep as fuck and can't handle the situation. It's like these fucks can't wait to bust their guns. :angry:

Entrepronegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Problem to me is they handling it like a fucking Call of Duty game. Guy had a bike lock. They like 6 deep. All this 'highly trained' shit they keep telling the public about pigs. Cats either too eager to shoot or too fucking scary. Little girl ain't coming back from oblivion and this shit could have been avoided.

I'm just sick of pigs rolling deep as fuck and can't handle the situation. It's like these fucks can't wait to bust their guns. :angry:
Yeah this is what I was thinking as well.

michigantoga

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Firstly, the man had let the lady go.
Second, when did it become okay to shoot AR15's in close quarters and indoors?
Third, I never heard a cop say get down, get on the ground, stop, freeze, put your hands up, nothing but she's bleeding and bam bam bam.

SMH

Plus he was eager to shoot, moved all the others out the way. They claim they had shots fired situation too.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
LAPD came in guns blazing, didn't even assess the situation, dude had no gun. They saw blood and just started shooting.

Even if they didn't kill a lil girl, I feel they could of tazed dude or something different. I saw the video yesterday.

All I saw was the cop walk in and start shooting. Typical LAPD style