Hollywood News: Kevin Hart Defends Himself on Ellen, She Insists He Should Still Host the Oscars

slam

aka * My Name Is Not $lam *
Super Moderator
whats wrong with people ...

its jokes...

stop killing innocent black people n i will give a fuck about a fag feeling offended over jokes...

fuckers dont even apologize 4 that ...jus kill black people n say "well he shouldnt have been black ..."

foh...

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
you were right...

The Oscars don't need a host (and no one asked you, Ellen)

Michael Rozman/Warner Bros.
2cb724cdf103d14d9bdfd321abb3cc2f

KRISTEN BALDWIN
January 04, 2019 at 04:52 PM EST
With just 51 days left to go before the 91st annual Academy Awards and still no one on board to host, the nation is in the grip of paralyzing anxiety. Oh, sorry, did I say “the nation”? I meant “Ellen DeGeneres.” The wildly successful talk show host is apparently so worried about the Oscars hosting situation that she felt the need to try and fix it herself. Not by hosting, but by rehabbing the image of the guy who was supposed to host, Kevin Hart, who resigned from the job after his old tweets featuring homophobic and transphobic comments resurfaced. “I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past,” he tweeted last month, adding that he didn’t want his presence at the Oscars to be a “distraction” from the awards themselves.

One man’s distraction is another woman’s cause. During Hart’s appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show Friday, the host repeatedly referred to the comedian as a friend and praised him as “one of the most generous people that I’ve ever met.” Though Hart felt victimized by the controversy — he called resurfacing the old tweets a “malicious attack” on his character — DeGeneres referred to him as “this year’s Oscars host” and told the comedian that if he didn’t host the show, the trolls would win.

Girl, what?

Whether or not you believe Hart when he says “I don’t have a homophobic bone in my body” — I certainly hope he’s grown and matured as much as he says he has — are the Academy Awards really the forum for a teachable moment, which DeGeneres seems to be striving for? Even if the ratings weren’t declining every single year, something tells me that the people who would benefit from an honest conversation about homophobia and its origins aren’t going to be tuning in to watch Roma battle A Star Is Born for best picture. And even if they did, how effective would Hart’s presence as host — along with whatever joke or earnest mea culpa he made during the opening monologue to address the controversy — be in changing their minds?

Maybe it would make a difference. Who knows? I certainly don’t claim to have the answer. What I can say is the guy I watched on The Ellen DeGeneres Show this afternoon pretty clearly does not want to host the Oscars anymore. The whole experience, he said, has left the opportunity of the Oscars under “a cloud,” and now with the ceremony less than two months away, it’s likely that Hart would prefer to check this item off his bucket list sometime down the road, when he’d have more time to prepare. (He did, however, tell DeGeneres he was “evaluating” the situation and would let her know once he made a decision.) America’s Top Gay Spokesperson may not want to take no for an answer, but she may have to this time.

So what should the Oscars do instead? Go without a host! The show is already six hours long, and the host is really there to provide a viral cold open and a medium-spicy monologue reminding us all how very, very silly Hollywood is in general. After that, he or she is relegated to choppy “our next presenter” introductions and the occasional “we’re only three hours behind schedule” quip. A source tells EW that ABC and the Academy were already exploring a host-less option before DeGeneres decided to get involved, and surely there’s someone on the network’s payroll who could handle monologue/funny-opening-montage-packed-with-celebrity-cameos duty. (Hint: He’s on at 11:35 p.m.) After that, there are literally hundreds of stars scheduled to be in attendance who could handle whatever interstitial presenting needs to happen between the first award and the end of the broadcast. Or even better, just have Distinguished Announcer Guy make all the post-monologue introductions! If the Academy went that route, the show might come in at under three-and-a-half hours — and that’s an idea we can all get behind.

The 91st Annual Academy Awards will air Sunday, Feb. 24, on ABC
I should be a consultant for these mofos getting paid major bread.

The shit is so fucking predictable. Extremists in any demographic are never happy. :smh: It's dangerous to try to appease these outrage mobs. These celebrities better wake the fuck up.

Trust. If folks started standing up to outrage culture, they'd find out just how many people support them.

Mr. Met

So Amazin
BGOL Investor
So they call this bastard to pressure an apology from Kevin? Don Lemon should just die.

#fakestats

mcguyver

Rising Star
OG Investor
Amazing statement from Kev. Apologized. Grew. Put his apology into action. WTF else can you ask at this point? Either you accept it, or not. And if not, why are we demanding apologies to still say, FOH.

True about Kevin Hart but Steve Harvey fucked up with his Trump visit. He use to religiously shit on Trump and point out all his fucked up shit......until he visited Trump at the White House. That shit threw a lot of Steve's fans/supporters off. To this day they are still confused about that shit.

Goingmark40

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
dammit kevin. dude really shouldn't have went on ellen and i hope he still says fuck the oscars.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
dammit kevin. dude really shouldn't have went on ellen and i hope he still says fuck the oscars.

wow...

I actually thought that was the SMART move at the time...

but I think he made a mistake he makes even in his stand up

he doesn't know when to stop.

I think this thing was actually dying down...

and comments from celebs like Nick Cannon and DL were responding to the attacks in way that seemed to make EVERYONE want to move on

the Ellen appearance apparently reignited a dying flame.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
wow...

I actually thought that was the SMART move at the time...

but I think he made a mistake he makes even in his stand up

he doesn't know when to stop.

I think this thing was actually dying down...

and comments from celebs like Nick Cannon and DL were responding to the attacks in way that seemed to make EVERYONE want to move on

the Ellen appearance apparently reignited a dying flame.
Juss in time to overshadow the fed shutdown and overshadow cac pedos in the industry... Coincidence I think not... Kells/Kevin Hart overshadowing the real issues in amerikkka

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Don Lemon needs to let this shit go. He's on TV right now trying to force Kevin to be the LGBT new mascot lol.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Look at this bullshit... The dude apologised but peep the headline...it reads like the Nig said im not trying to fuck with ya... So if you juss happen to be channel suffering and saw that screen cap it makes Kevin look insensitive...in fact you could screenshot that frame and tweet Kevin still not apologizing and people who don't dig deeper will formulate an opinion and think Kevin is an asshole... Are ya paying attention to the mind fuckery that the media plays...s hit is crazy smh

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
but it was Kevin "choice" to go on the show.
It's just amazing the bad advice giving to the rich and famous. You realize that folks have experts getting paid money advising them to do this dumb shit? Kevin don't have time to keep up with and gauge outrage culture. He pays people to do that for him.

It's essentially a third public apology for the same fucking shit. Got him on his knees like he is actually part of the LBGTQHKOPXYZ community. :smh:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
It's just amazing the bad advice giving to the rich and famous. You realize that folks have experts getting paid money advising them to do this dumb shit? Kevin don't have time to keep up with and gauge outrage culture. He pays people to do that for him.

It's essentially a third public apology for the same fucking shit. Got him on his knees like he is actually part of the LBGTQHKOPXYZ community. :smh:
But see I cnnot give Kevin a pass here...

H HIMSELF decided to not only make the ORIGINAL tweets

AND NOT DELETE them?

He made ALL the following social media posts talking sh:t

that is on HIM

and he JUST had ANOTHER issue around Thanksgiving

and the whole cheating on the pregnant wife thing and being extorted and making a comedy tour out of it?

Again...

I don;t like how they using this against Kevin OVERALL

but Kevin is FR from right on this one.

He KEEPS making it worse.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Warner Bros. Execs Address Toxic Workplace Environment at Ellen and TMZ in Internal Memo
By Chris Murphy@christress
Photo: WireImage
After a summer filled with reports about the toxic work cultures behind the scenes of The Ellen Show and in the TMZ news room, WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar and WarnerMedia Studios and Network Head Ann Sarnoff have issued internal statements to Warner Bros. employees about the issues, calling the situation “unacceptable.” In an internal memo obtained by BuzzFeed News on Thursday, September 17, Kilar wrote that he was “both concerned and disappointed by public reports regarding patterns of unacceptable behavior that have been raised in recent weeks.” Over the summer, The Ellen Show axed three of its top producers due to multiple allegations of racism, intimidation, and sexual misconduct. Despite this, host and executive producer Ellen DeGeneres maintains she will return to the show and “talk about it,” addressing the heaps of allegations that have been lobbed against her show over the summer. In her memo, Sarnoff said that she will be holding her top executives “accountable for setting the tone for how we work together across the company and how we treat each other across the table.” You can read the memos that Jason Kilar and Ann Sarnoff sent to their staff below:
Hello Team –

I am both concerned and disappointed by public reports regarding patterns of unacceptable behavior that have been raised in recent weeks. This email is to share what we will be doing about it.

I’ve always been a believer that a reputation is largely what people say about you when you are not in the room. In my first four months here at WarnerMedia, I’ve thought a lot about our reputation. Specifically, what is our reputation today and what aspirations should we have for our reputation going forward?

I’ve come to the conclusion that one of the most important things I’d like people to say about us when we are not in the room is that we treat people with dignity.

What does it mean to treat a person with dignity? At a minimum, I believe it entails an acceptance of another person’s identity. It also entails a responsibility to validate, to recognize, and to include. Finally, I believe it entails a commitment to fairness and a commitment to maintaining a safe environment for all.

I say the above as prelude to the statement that going forward, we will be reinforcing our values and demanding more of ourselves and more of the people with whom we choose to partner. We will not be tolerating patterns of behavior that are at odds with our need to treat each other with dignity. What this means pragmatically:

We have engaged a third party to do an objective, proactive review across our production business (internal teams in addition to partner productions). I want to understand if there is any pattern of behavior that is at odds with our need to treat each other with dignity.
I also am encouraging all of you (and our partners) to report situations where you see a pattern of behavior at odds with this standard. This can be done with a simple communication to your supervisor or HR rep. It can also be done by sending an email to Mike Sofia, who heads up compliance for the company (michael.sofia@warnermediagroup.com). Anonymously, it can be done by calling our help line at 800-375-0288. We will continue to take seriously every allegation of abuse of power, unethical conduct, discrimination or other concerns, and investigate any claim brought forward.

Over the next few weeks, each of you will be receiving an updated version of our Standards of Business Conduct. You will be expected to fully digest this important document and sign up to it as a condition of being on this team.In the coming weeks, we will also be
to all of our existing and prospective partners (e.g., the active and potential motion picture and television productions). This communication will make clear the requirement that people be treated with dignity and our intention to sever ties where patterns of behavior are at odds with that requirement.

I anticipate that there will be situations where we choose to terminate business relationships. I also anticipate that there will be situations where a person may choose not to work with us because of these rigid expectations. That’s fine. While there may be companies that will do business with those people, we do not need to be one of them.

I also want to say that managing our way strongly through the above will entail remembering that we are all human. I am certain that we will make mistakes as we endeavor to get this right. But I know we can and will be better so long as we are clear in our expectations and hold each other accountable to those expectations each and every day.

With thanks –
Jason
Hi Everyone,

It’s been a little over a month since our two groups were brought together and in that time, I’ve had the opportunity to think about the culture of our new organization and want to share these thoughts with you.

As a new division of our company, we have the opportunity to clearly state our principles and our expectations right from the start, so we’re all working from the same playbook. The Studios and Networks group is a creative nexus for all of WarnerMedia, and our success will be based on innovation, calculated risk taking, unbridled creativity and a clearly defined code of conduct. We all have a role in supporting our code of conduct, and no one is above it.

So, with that in mind, some initial thoughts:

· Be collaborative in your creativity, think outside the box and outside your “legacy” company.
· Be respectful, and be open and direct in your communication.
· Let’s treat our colleagues the way we’d like to be treated, regardless of their job title or position.
· Do not be afraid to question authority or the status quo – everyone adds value and every voice matters.
· Finally, and perhaps most importantly, please feel empowered to call out behavior that runs counter to these values.

You can see these aren’t radical or even new ideas. But, unfortunately, they’re also not how some people have behaved in the past. It’s time for that to change. As the leader of this new organization, I take responsibility for what happens on my watch.

Over the last few weeks, I’ve been putting together my senior leadership team and I will hold them accountable for setting the tone for how we work together across the company and how we treat each other across the table. I’ve also empowered, and will hold accountable, the Studios and Networks HR and Legal teams to act on any issues that are brought to them. These groups are a safe harbor where you can register any concerns.

I know individuals (and organizations) thrive when there is trust – trust that the company values every one of its employees, and trust that when an employee raises an issue, it will be looked at expeditiously and thoroughly, and without risk of retaliation. No matter who raises the issue or who it is raised about. While the company has always had policies in place and acted on these matters, we will be redoubling our efforts. And, I will state here today, that this is how we will operate going forward.

Our culture is something that is very important to me, and it will be key to our growth and success. Please know that my commitment to this is more than just sending out a memo and checking a box. Starting with me, we all have a responsibility to help create an environment where everyone feels respected, valued and safe when they show up as their authentic selves. It’s how we’ll do our best work. In addition, to give us a baseline on our culture and to help us better understand your experiences and the work environment, we will be asking a third-party to conduct a culture survey of our group in the next few weeks.

I’m truly excited about the future of the Studios and Networks Group. Our opportunities and success are only limited by our imaginations, so let’s show everyone what we can do together.

Ann

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The Ellen Show Is Bringing Back Its Live Studio Audience
By Charu Sinha@charulatasinha
9a1f840bf388b0db4b89ec5df2a958be4e-ellen.rsquare.w330.png

Photo: YouTube
As if she hasn’t done enough, Ellen DeGeneres is now bringing back a live studio audience to The Ellen DeGeneres Show. The talk show will select 40 audience members out of a backlog of 4,000 previously scheduled fans to attend the show’s tapings, starting tomorrow. The studio audience will have to follow strict pandemic-related health and safety protocols — much like Saturday Night Live, which also brought back its live audience earlier this month. Alongside the 40 live studio audience members, the show will also host 70 virtual attendees, which should make for an interesting viewing experience for all involved. The Ellen DeGeneres Show returned for its 18th season back in September, following allegations of a toxic workplace from former staff and an official investigation by WarnerMedia.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Ellen DeGeneres tests positive for COVID-19 as new report claims her talk show is struggling after workplace scandal

Suzy Byrne
·Editor, Yahoo Entertainment
Thu, December 10, 2020, 1:02 PM EST·4 min read

Ellen DeGeneres, at the Golden Globes in January, had COVID-19 and it's halted production on her talk show until 2021. Meanwhile, a new report claims the Ellen DeGeneres Show has suffered since its workplace toxicity scandal. (Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage)
Ellen DeGeneres announced Thursday that she has COVID-19 — luckily she is “feeling fine right now” though her daytime talk show is going on hiatus until 2021 — but she seems to have bigger problems behind the scenes of the TV program.

A new report from BuzzFeed News says that The Ellen DeGeneres Show continues to be impacted by workplace toxicity claims. While Ellen DeGeneres apologized amid the explosive allegations, which sparked an investigation, and several execs were ousted, the show is losing advertisers, some celebrities are staying away and ratings are down, the report claims.
The news outlet spoke with a current employee of the show, now in its 18th season, who said the show and its digital content have fewer advertisers and sponsors compared to past years, a shift that took place over the summer as the scandal unfolded. The employee claims staffers aren’t creating as much new content because there is less ad revenue — pointing to fewer sponsored posts on social media this year versus last — and editors have taken to recycling video clips from past seasons. (A second source collaborated these claims, according to the news site.)

The employee claimed it’s reflective in the show’s “12 Days of Giveaways” segments.
“In a typical year, ‘12 Days of Giveaways’ is huge,” the employee said. “We’ve basically claimed Christmas on daytime TV. When you think of Christmas on TV, you think of The Ellen Show. Everyone wants to be in the audience. Everyone wants the gifts. And so we line up all these crazy sponsors, and people love it. But this year, our ‘12 Days’ is more condensed. We don’t have as many sponsors.”
Show reps declined to comment for BuzzFeed News’s story — and to Yahoo Entertainment when we reached out — but a source close to the show denied “12 Days of Giveaways” is struggling over sponsorship, saying that it’s actually due to the pandemic. In the past, the show gave away great trips, but this year there are travel restrictions due to COVID restrictions.
It’s “not a reflection on [DeGeneres] or the business, but that’s directly impacted by the state of the world and the kind of show that’s being done now,” the show source said.
The employee source also claimed the show is struggling to book A-list guests. While there has been no shortage of talent — recent guests including Justin Bieber and various KarJenners — multiple publicists in the entertainment industry told the outlet they aren’t booking as many clients because, as one said, they don’t want them to be a part of DeGeneres’s “comeback tour.”
One publicist said, “I wouldn’t set up anyone on her show right now to do anything that could possibly cause them more negative headlines. You have to tread so carefully with your clients and your clients’ reputations, so you don't want to put your client in any line of fire sympathizing with someone that any community or anyone would feel bad about. We’re not going to align anyone with Ellen.”
A second publicist said this started even before the scandal, saying in their opinion the show “lost its authenticity a long time ago... It’s a place that’s very manufactured for [Bieber’s and Ariana Grande’s manager] Scooter Braun or for Kim Kardashian’s family to say whatever they wanted. It became something manufactured as opposed to something more authentic, which it used to be.”
Another publicist said that with show ratings being down — in October, it was reported they had declined 38 percent from last season — it isn’t a top choice as it once was. Plus, there are many other fresher options, like Kelly Clarkson’s and Drew Barrymore’s shows.
“The feedback we’ve been getting is that Ellen is no longer a first choice for talent,” another publicist said. “It’s not unique to one person. We’ve received feedback from other publicists as well as talent. Nobody likes feeling this emotional betrayal from someone who literally built a brand on niceness.”
The source close to the show pooh-poohed this as well, saying the ratings are reflective of an overall drop in live broadcast TV ratings, not just this show.
DeGeneres is locked in as show host through 2022, per a deal she signed in 2019. But for the next few weeks, she will be at home quarantining due to COVID-19. In a message posted to social media on Thursday, she wrote, “Anyone who has been in close contact with me has been notified, and I am following all proper CDC guidelines. I’ll see you all again after the holidays. Please stay healthy and safe.”
As far as the popular daytime show goes, a spokesperson tells Yahoo Entertainment, “Following Ellen’s announcement this morning, we have paused production on The Ellen DeGeneres Show until January.”

Last edited: