TV News: Uh Oh, former Employees claim The Ellen Degeneres Show is a TOXIC work environment UPDATE: SHOW IS OVER

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Former Employees Confirm What You May Have Already Known About Working On The Ellen Show
By Chris Murphy@christress
Photo: FOX Image Collection via Getty I
2bfee2c0a2d4e1b62e58e111a9e22f68d5--22ellen-22.rsquare.w330.jpg

If, somehow, you still had dreams of one day working on The Ellen Degeneres Show, you may want to reconsider. On Thursday, July 16, Buzzfeed News published a detailed report about the “toxic work culture” perpetuated by Ellen Degeneres and her executive producers. 10 former employees and one current Ellen employee went on the record anonymously - for fear of retribution from Ellen and the industry at large - describing a work environment filled with “racism, fear and intimidation.” In the report, employees claimed they were fired for taking bereavement days and medical leave, instructed to delete GoFundMe pages they started in order to pay for medical bills not covered by the health insurance they received from the show, and were instructed not to talk to Ellen if they saw her in the office.

“That ‘be kind’ bullshit only happens when the cameras are on. It’s all for show,” said one former employee. “I know they give money to people and help them out, but it’s for show.” A Black woman who worked for Ellen for a year-and-a-half said she experienced “racist comments, actions, and microagressions,” recalling a time when a writer claimed not to know who she was because they “only know the names of the white people who work here” as well as a time when a senior-level producer told her and another Black employee “oh wow, you both have box braids; I hope we don’t get you confused.” When she spoke up about the discrimination, her colleagues began to distance themselves from her and referred to her as “the PC police.”

While nothing positive was said about the dancing comedian, the bulk of the ire was directed at Ellen’s executive producers and other senior managers, who were reportedly more directly responsible for the “day-to-day toxicity.” Executive producers Andy Lassner, Ed Galvin, and Mary Connelly responded to the report with the following mea culpa:
“Over the course of nearly two decades, 3,000 episodes, and employing over 1000 staff members, we have strived to create an open, safe, and inclusive work environment. We are truly heartbroken and sorry to learn that even one person in our production family has had a negative experience. It’s not who we are and not who we strive to be, and not the mission Ellen has set for us. For the record, the day to day responsibility of the Ellen show is completely on us. We take all of this very seriously and we realize, as many in the world are learning, that we need to do better, are committed to do better, and we will do better.”
Subscribe for $2 a month and get unlimited access to Vulture and everything else New York
LEARN MORE »
Some former employees claimed that those who submitted to the toxic work environment and did not speak up received perks including new iPhones, JetBlue gift cards, and other swag the show keeps on hand from its sponsors. “We all have a kind of ‘this isn’t normal’ feeling about how people get treated there,” said one former employee. “And there’s this ushering out the door. Or your contract isn’t renewed the minute you ruffle anyone’s feathers. Or you don’t show that you’re extremely grateful and appreciative to work there.”

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Former Employees Say Ellen’s “Be Kind” Talk Show Mantra Masks A Toxic Work Culture
“If [Ellen] wants to have her own show and have her name on the show title, she needs to be more involved to see what's going on,” one former employee said.

Krystie Lee YandoliBuzzFeed News Reporter
Posted on July 16, 2020, at 8:29 p.m. ET
  • Tweet
  • Copy

Ben Kothe / BuzzFeed News; Getty Images

Ellen DeGeneres has built her worldwide, multimillion-dollar brand on the motto “be kind,” with lavish giveaways and acts of charity. But behind the scenes, current and former employees on her leading daytime show say they faced racism, fear, and intimidation.
“That ‘be kind’ bullshit only happens when the cameras are on. It’s all for show,” one former employee told BuzzFeed News. “I know they give money to people and help them out, but it’s for show.”
ADVERTISEMENT

BuzzFeed News spoke to one current and 10 former employees on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, all of whom asked to remain anonymous, fearing retribution from the award-winning NBC daytime talk show and others in the entertainment industry. They said they were fired after taking medical leave or bereavement days to attend family funerals. One employee, who claims she was fed up with comments about her race, essentially walked off the job. Others said they were also instructed by their direct managers to not speak to DeGeneres if they saw her around the office.
Most of the former employees blamed executive producers and other senior managers for the day-to-day toxicity, but one former employee said that, ultimately, it’s Ellen’s name on the show and “she really needs to take more responsibility” for the workplace environment.
“If she wants to have her own show and have her name on the show title, she needs to be more involved to see what's going on,” one former employee said. “I think the executive producers surround her and tell her, ‘Things are going great, everybody's happy,’ and she just believes that, but it's her responsibility to go beyond that.”
In a joint statement to BuzzFeed News, executive producers Ed Glavin, Mary Connelly, and Andy Lassner said they take the stories of the employees "very seriously."

"Over the course of nearly two decades, 3,000 episodes, and employing over 1000 staff members, we have strived to create an open, safe, and inclusive work environment," they said. "We are truly heartbroken and sorry to learn that even one person in our production family has had a negative experience. It’s not who we are and not who we strive to be, and not the mission Ellen has set for us.

"For the record, the day to day responsibility of the Ellen show is completely on us. We take all of this very seriously and we realize, as many in the world are learning, that we need to do better, are committed to do better, and we will do better."

A Black woman who used to work on The Ellen DeGeneres Show told BuzzFeed News she experienced racist comments, actions, and “microaggressions” during her year and a half as an employee. She said when she was hired, a senior-level producer told her and another Black employee, “Oh wow, you both have box braids; I hope we don’t get you confused.” And at a work party, she said, one of the main writers told her, “I’m sorry, I only know the names of the white people who work here,” and other coworkers “awkwardly laughed it off” instead of coming to her defense.

When the former employee brought up issues of race and representation on the show and asked producers not to use offensive terms like “spirit animal” in segments, her colleagues called her “the PC police.”

When she started to speak up about the discrimination, she said, all of her colleagues distanced themselves from her.

“Whenever I brought up an issue to my white male boss, he would bring up some random story about some random Black friend that he had and how they managed to get over stuff,” she said. “He would use his Black friend as some way to say, ‘I understand your struggle.’ But it was all performative bullshit.”

After one year at Ellen, she said she asked for a raise after learning another recent hire made double for doing the same job, despite her having worked in the television industry for a decade. Her manager told her “they’d see what they could do,” but months went by and nothing happened, she said.
"They definitely don’t practice what they preach with the ‘be kind’ mantra."

The former employee said she was also called into a meeting with executive producer Ed Glavin, where she was reprimanded for her objections to the term “spirit animal,” asking for a raise, and suggesting employees on the show receive diversity and inclusion training.
“He said that I was walking around looking resentful and angry,” she said.
After the meeting, she left work for the day and never returned to The Ellen DeGeneres Show. She said she has no plans to ever work in the entertainment industry again. For years, she felt “a fear of speaking out” but is now inspired to share her experience because of recent conversations about race in Hollywood and other workplaces.
“I feel like I’m not alone in this,” she said. “We all feel this. We’ve been feeling this way, but I’ve been too afraid to say anything because everyone knows what happens when you say something as a Black person. You’re blacklisted.”
The former employee also said her manager from Ellen recently reached out to her amid the Black Lives Matter protests to apologize for not being a better ally. But the former employee said it's too little, too late.
“I feel angry about the way I was treated, and I am always going to stand up for Black, Indigenous, Latino, and Asian people, regardless if they’re around,” she said. “I can’t not say anything. I’m not going to stop talking.”
We want your help! If you have more information or a tip regarding workplace culture on the Ellen show or in Hollywood, contact krystie.yandoli@buzzfeed.com, or reach us securely at tips.buzzfeed.com.
There have been rumors for years about DeGeneres being difficult and how many employees feel unhappy. In March, comedian Kevin T. Porter started a Twitter thread asking people to share “the most insane stories you’ve heard about Ellen [DeGeneres] being mean.” The tweet has more than 2,600 replies.
In April, Variety reported that employees were “distressed and outraged” by top-level producers who didn’t communicate details about their jobs and pay at the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic. DeGeneres’s former bodyguard also recently said he had had a negative experience with her at the 2014 Oscars, calling the TV host’s treatment of others “demeaning.”
A spokesperson for Warner Bros. Television, which distributes the show, told Variety that the crew was consistently paid during the pandemic, although at reduced hours, and “acknowledged that communication could have been better, but cited complications due to the chaos caused by COVID-19.”
A current employee told BuzzFeed News that on May 1, the same day the story about the former bodyguard was published, executive producers took the rare move of holding an all-staff meeting over Zoom to address the negative stories and low morale.
“I think it is a lot of smoke and mirrors when it comes to the show’s brand,” a former employee said. “They pull on people’s heartstrings; they do know that’s going to get likes and what people are going to go for, which is a positive message. But that’s not always reality.”

sub-buzz-2439-1594929690-10.jpg

After working on The Ellen DeGeneres Show for nearly a year, one former employee said they took medical leave for one month to check into a mental health facility for a suicide attempt. But the week they returned to work, they were told their position was being eliminated.
“You'd think that if someone just tried to kill themselves, you don’t want to add any more stress to their lives,” the employee, whose story was corroborated by four other employees and medical records, told BuzzFeed News.
“Some of the producers talk openly in public about addiction and mental health awareness, but they’re the reason there’s a stigma,” they said. “They definitely don’t practice what they preach with the ‘be kind’ mantra."
Another former employee said they were fired after an unexpectedly difficult year that required them to take time away from the job on three occasions: medical leave for three weeks after they were in a car accident, working remotely for two days to attend a family member’s funeral, and then three days off to travel for another family member’s funeral. Each request was a battle with supervisors and HR, they added.
“That’s the definition of a toxic work environment, where they make you feel like you’re going insane and then you’re like, no, everything I was feeling was right. It was all leading up to this,” the former staffer, whose story was corroborated by five former employees and medical records, said.

A third former employee said they were given a warning for creating a GoFundMe campaign to raise money for medical costs that weren’t covered by their company health insurance and then sharing it on social media.
Just 24 hours after posting the GoFundMe, they said, they were called into the department head’s office and told to take it down because of concerns it might hurt DeGeneres’s image.
“They discovered my fundraiser, then got mad at me. … They were more concerned about Ellen’s brand instead of helping me out,” the former employee, whose story was corroborated by four other employees, told BuzzFeed News.
About one month later, this employee said they were fired after posting a selfie laughing with coworkers at the office on a personal Instagram story — a violation of their contract — even though others had posted similar photos before.
“Be kind to the world,” they said, “not your employees.”

According to employees, there’s a division between staff members who work on the show: people who “drink the Kool-Aid” and are usually well-liked by producers, and people who recognize the work environment is toxic. Those who push back against senior producers don’t usually have their contracts renewed, former employees said.

“They hire people who maybe are inexperienced with how a functional, nontoxic work environment actually is, or someone who just wants to be in that atmosphere so bad that they'll put up with it,” one former employee claimed. “They kind of feed off of that, like, ‘This is Ellen; this is as good as it gets. You'll never find anything better than this.’”

According to former staffers, those who have “more likable” personality traits, who are willing to work the 10-plus-hour days without complaint, and who actively ignore how managers and senior-level producers treat others have been given new iPhones, JetBlue gift cards, and other swag the show keeps on hand from its sponsors.

“I remember feeling depressed and horrible and sad and just thinking that I can’t leave but I want to leave,” one former employee said. “Everyone was unhappy unless you were one of those people being favored.”

Some employees defended the show’s work culture, saying it’s typical of TV production, but other former employees with experience in the industry said The Ellen DeGeneres Show stood apart as particularly negative.

“We all have a kind of ‘this isn’t normal’ feeling about how people get treated there,” one former employee claimed. “And there’s this ushering out the door. Or your contract isn’t renewed the minute you ruffle anyone’s feathers. Or you don't show that you're extremely grateful and appreciative to work there.”

The employees who spoke to BuzzFeed News said they worked in a culture dominated by fear. One of them said a general feeling among staffers was “if you have an issue, don't even think about bringing it up.”

“I never felt like it was safe to go to my manager when I had issues — because this was the same person who would wait for me to go to the bathroom and then message me, asking me where I was and why I wasn’t at my desk,” one employee said.

“People focus on rumors about how Ellen is mean and everything like that, but that's not the problem. The issue is these three executive producers running the show who are in charge of all these people [and] who make the culture and are putting out this feeling of bullying and being mean,” another former employee claimed. “They feel that everybody who works at The Ellen Show is lucky to work there — ‘So if you have a problem, you should leave because we’ll hire someone else because everybody wants to work here.’”

And when people did leave — or get fired — managers never addressed the team about it, employees said.

“We had Friday morning weekly meetings, and sometimes people who we worked with forever just wouldn’t be there,” one former employee said, “like, they disappeared, and it was never explained." ●

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Well, Well, Well the Ellen DeGeneres Show Is Now the Subject of a Workplace Investigation
By Jackson McHenry@McHenryJD
We’re all trying to find the guy who did this. Photo: YouTube
WarnerMedia is taking a few baby steps toward figuring out what the whole “be kind” thing might mean when applied to their actual employees. Variety reports that The Ellen DeGeneres show is the subject of an internal investigation from its parent company WarnerMedia after several former employees went public to describe a culture of “racism, fear and intimidation” on the show, while crew members also expressed frustration over Ellen hiring non-union workers while filming during lockdown. A third party firm is conducting the investigation into the show, interviewing current and former staffers about their experiences. In a memo sent to staff, per Variety, the show’s producers at Telepictures and Warner Bros. Television wrote that “we are truly heartbroken and sorry to learn that even one person in our production family has had a negative experience. It’s not who we are and not who we strive to be, and not the mission Ellen has set for us.” They also added: “For the record, the day to day responsibility of the Ellen show is completely on us. We take all of this very seriously and we realize, as many in the world are learning, that we need to do better, are committed to do better, and we will do better,” so they’re trying very hard to make sure that one specific person isn’t implicated in this whole thing (at least, yet).

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Brad Garrett Says Mistreatment by Ellen DeGeneres Is ‘Common Knowledge’
By Megh Wright@megh_wright
Brad Garrett Photo: Image Group LA/Walt Disney Television via Getty
Things are looking worse and worse for Ellen DeGeneres. The talk-show host recently responded to allegations of racism and mistreatment by current and former employees of her daytime talk show by issuing an apology to her staff who had been “treated unfairly, not equal — or worse — disregarded.” In the letter, which was obtained by The Hollywood Reporter this week, DeGeneres put most of the blame for the allegations on the show’s producers, who she said “are speaking on my behalf and misrepresenting who I am and that has to stop.” But one person read DeGeneres’s apology and decided to call her out on her blame-shifting: Everybody Loves Raymond alum Brad Garrett. Just after midnight on July 31, the actor responded to the news of DeGeneres’s apology on Twitter by writing, “Sorry but it comes from the top ⁦@TheEllenShow Know more than one who were treated horribly by her.⁩ Common knowledge.”

Garrett’s tweet was posted shortly before BuzzFeed News published a new and even more damning report, in which 36 former Ellen employees alleged that the producers of the show engaged in “rampant sexual misconduct,” harassment, and assault. At the center of the allegations are head writer and executive producer Kevin Leman, executive producer Ed Glavin, and co-executive producer Jonathan Norman. According to two sources who spoke to THR prior to the new allegations, Glavin will reportedly be one of the staffers fired as a result of WarnerMedia’s ongoing investigation of the show, which was prompted by BuzzFeed News’ original report published on July 16. In BuzzFeed’s latest report, five former employees accused Glavin of touching them inappropriately, and dozens of others said he had a reputation for “being handsy with women.”

Update, August 1: Actress and director Lea Thompson has chimed in on Twitter to support Brad Garrett’s comments. Responding to a People aggregated story about Garrett and Ellen DeGeneres, Thompson agreed with Garrett’s “common knowledge” of mistreatment assessment, writing, “True story, it is.” She offered no further comment on the topic.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Sounds like entitlement to me. People want to do what they want to do but the show was not having it.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Katy Perry Decides Now Is the Time to Defend Ellen DeGeneres
By Justin Curto@justinmcurto
Katy Perry. Photo: Shutterstock

76fabb31fbb4fd69a3475b5ab3364d3976-katy-perry.rsquare.w330.jpg

With her own (delayed) album rollout to worry about, Katy Perry has decided now is the time to take the stance of … defending Ellen DeGeneres against claims of abuse and harassment against her and her staff. “I know I can’t speak for anyone else’s experience besides my own but I want to acknowledge that I have only ever had positive takeaways from my time with Ellen & on the @theellenshow,” she tweeted. “I think we all have witnessed the light & continual fight for equality that she has brought to the world through her platform for decades. Sending you love & a hug, friend @TheEllenShow.” Sure Katy, but have you read those allegations? “Fight” may be the only correct word there. And all to play games called “Would You Perry Me?” on TV? Perry is in interesting company defending Ellen, joining music mogul and her new friend Taylor Swift’s mortal enemy Scooter Braun, and Ted Cruz.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

‘Ellen DeGeneres Show’ DJ tWitch breaks silence on toxic-set allegations
By Francesca Bacardi
August 12, 2020 | 9:19am

Stephen “tWitch” Boss, the set DJ of “The Ellen DeGeneres Show,” broke his silence on widespread allegations of toxicity at the talk show, claiming there’s “love” behind the scenes.

“We can’t speak too much legally about it, but I’ll say this, there’s been love,” the dancer, 37, told Us Weekly. “Obviously there’s some things to address, but from my standpoint and from countless others, there’s been love. I’ll just leave it at that until there’s a time where we can address more publicly.

“There’s been love and there will continue to be love.”

Boss is the latest celebrity to come forward and defend the host, joining Kevin Hart, Scooter Braun, Katy Perry and more. But stars such as Brad Garrett, Lea Thompson, Wayne Dupre and her former show DJ, Tony Okungbowa, have supported the claims that she created a toxic work environment.
Enlarge ImagetWitch and Ellen DeGeneresMike Rozman/Warner Brothers/NBC

DeGeneres’ wife, Portia de Rossi, claims the “Finding Dory” star is “doing great” amid the backlash and show investigation. Perhaps it’s because in her
apology statement she blamed her show’s producers.

“As we’ve grown exponentially, I’ve not been able to stay on top of everything and relied on others to do their jobs as they knew I’d want them done,” she wrote in a letter to her staff.

“Clearly some didn’t.”

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Howard Stern’s advice to Ellen DeGeneres: ‘Just be a p—k’
By Alex Heigl
August 10, 2020 | 4:21pm

Howard Stern's advice to Ellen DeGeneres: 'Just be a p---k'

Well, it’s worked for him!

Howard Stern has weighed in on Ellen DeGeneres’ seeming fall from grace, saying that if he were in the talk show host’s shoes, he would “change [his] whole image.”

“I’d go on the air and be a son of a bitch,” he said Monday on SiriusXM’s “Howard Stern Show.” “People would come on and [I would] go, ‘F–k you.’ Just be a p—k.”

Stern continued, “So you think I’m a p—k? I’m going to show you exactly. … I’m known on the air as a p—k, but off the air, I’m known as a great guy, you know, for the most part.”

Stern, 65, and DeGeneres, 62, have been friends for some time — he even remarried his wife, Beth, on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” in 2019 — and he made his “rebranding” suggestion with the caveat that he thinks DeGeneres should try to work things out with her staff first.
Enlarge ImageEllen DeGeneres and Howard SternGetty
Stern, who mentioned that he’s been working from his Hamptons home during the pandemic, said he counts among his staffers a writer who’s been late to work “900 times” without recrimination and that the brouhaha over the culture at “Ellen” has moved him to re-evaluate his own show.
“You know who’s abused in my workplace?” he asked. “Me.”

Earlier this month, Page Six exclusively reported that Stern’s contract renewal at SiriusXM — his current deal is up at the end of the year — may be the biggest of the star’s career, should he decide to continue.

Whether DeGeneres intends to follow Stern’s advice when she returns to work on Aug. 24 for “Ellen’s Game of Games” remains to be seen. Insiders say either way, she has no intention of quitting, despite the avalanche of bad publicity — and concurrent ratings drop — she’s faced since a March Twitter thread began a pile-on by former staffers accusing her of creating a toxic workplace environment.

While several celebrities, including Kevin Hart and Katy Perry, have offered support to DeGeneres, it’s done little to stem the flow of anecdotes about her alleged nasty streak, including one from a Louisiana man who claimed DeGeneres bullied him as an 11-year-old when she worked at his mother’s New Orleans staffing agency early in her career.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
TOXIC WORKPLACES AUG. 17, 2020
Three Ellen EPs Fired After Workplace Misconduct Allegations, DJ tWitch Made Co-Executive Producer
By Halle Kiefer@hallekiefer
Photo: GP Images/Getty Images for TINEPUBLIC
7fd7b80c6a8f63deac46eaf048b5b16b91-17-Ellen-DeGeneres.rsquare.w330.jpg

In a video call with Ellen staff on Monday, Ellen DeGeneres reportedly announced the dismissal of three producers previously accused of misconduct, elevated her sidekick DJ tWitch to co-executive producer, and apologized for “what this has become,” i.e. an allegedly toxic TV workplace filled with “racism, fear and intimidation.” The daytime TV host also echoed a sentiment she expressed in her previous letter to her staff: that issues with Ellen were due to her negligence in monitoring her workplace, rather than her own behavior. “I’m so so sorry for what this has become,” DeGeneres told her staff per the Hollywood Reporter. “I’ve left this to be a well-oiled machine, and I realize it’s not a machine… it’s human beings.”
On July 30, BuzzFeed News reported on “the harassment, sexual misconduct, and assault from top producers on the show” described by 36 former Ellen employees. Today, DeGeneres has fired executive producers Ed Glavin, Kevin Leman, and co-executive producer Jonathan Norman. Leman and Norman previously denied the allegations against them, including groping employees, to BuzzFeed.
In the same call, DeGeneres announced that her DJ, Stephen “DJ tWitch” Boss has been made co-executive producer of the show, reports Variety. Boss told Us Weekly last week, “Obviously, there’s some things to address, but from my standpoint and from countless others, there’s been love. I’ll just leave it at that until there’s a time where we can address more publicly. There’s been love, and will continue to be love.”
Meanwhile, Ellen executive producers Mary Connelly, Andy Lassner, and Derek Westervelt will remain with the show. On July 27, Warner Bros. launched an investigation into the many different allegations of workplace hostility and disfunction leveled at Ellen. According to Variety, in another part of the Monday call, Connelly and Lassner addressed allegations of workplace racism at Ellen, and claimed the probe did not find a pattern of systemic racism. They did, however, acknowledge that “more needed to be done in terms of diversity and inclusion” at the program.

As for her own allegedly toxic behavior, DeGeneres reportedly apologized in a vague fashion for hurt feelings she may have caused. Per a note to staff obtained by the Hollywood Reporter, the TV host said, “I apologize for anyone who’s feelings I’ve hurt. I’m not perfect. I’m multi-layered and I learn from my mistakes. I care about each and every one of you. I’m grate for for each and everyone of you.” As for the specific accusation that staffers were told not to look the host in the eye, DeGeneres claimed it is “crazy” and “not true.”
In a previous letter to staff, reported by the Hollywood Reporter late last month, DeGeneres also seemed to pin her show’s problems on Ellen executives, rather than her own actions. “I’m also learning that people who work with me and for me are speaking on my behalf and misrepresenting who I am and that has to stop,” she wrote. “As someone who was judged and nearly lost everything for just being who I am, I truly understand and have deep compassion for this being looked at differently, or treated unfairly, not equal, or - worse- disregarded.”

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Anne Heche Speaks Out About Ex Ellen DeGeneres’s Alleged Staff Abuse
By Justin Curto@justinmcurto
Anne Heche. Photo: Michael Tullberg/Getty Images
ed2388eb8475cdee0a65836911b34a399e-anne-heche.rsquare.w330.jpg

While celebrities have come out of the woodwork right and left to defend Ellen DeGeneres, often unprompted, against allegations of staff mistreatment and abuse on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, others have just come out of the woodwork to talk about dating the comedian and talk-show host. We’re talking about Anne Heche, the actor who dated DeGeneres in the late ’90s and opened up about their relationship now, of all times, in a cover interview for Mr. Warburton magazine. “Our time was a beautiful part of my life and one that I wear with honor,” Heche said. But here’s what you really want to know: Yes, she opined on DeGeneres’s current scandal, too. “I haven’t spoken to Ellen in years,” she said. “I’d listen to the people who have.” She went on, “If I’m standing someplace and I don’t like what’s going on there and I stay there, it’s my fault. So what are the actions that got me there and why can’t I get out of it easily if that’s not something that I want to be engaged in? Ellen is standing where she walks, and that is hers to continue that journey.” We may not be able to follow this metaphor turned math problem, but we think we get the idea.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
‘Ellen DeGeneres Show’ Elevates DJ tWitch to Co-Executive Producer (EXCLUSIVE)

By Matt Donnelly

Mike Rozman/Warner Brothers/NBC
Ellen DeGeneres’ resident DJ Stephen “tWitch” Boss has been named a co-executive producer at the daytime talk show, two individuals familiar with the decision told Variety.
The news was announced during a highly emotional address from DeGeneres to her “Ellen Show” staff on Monday, where she confronted months of reports of a toxic work environment and racism.
The host expressed a desire to “come back strong” in the forthcoming 18th season of her syndicated franchise, a Warner Bros. TV institution, with a renewed commitment to diversity. DeGeneres said Boss had already been helpful in that measure. The promotion will give the emcee more influence in both programming and the working culture, one insider added.

dj-twitch-2.jpg

Less than a week ago, Boss told UsWeekly that “obviously there’s some things to address, but from my standpoint and from countless others, there’s been love. I’ll just leave it at that until there’s a time where we can address more publicly.”

Related Stories
VIP
‘Hamilton’ Far Bigger Than Anything on Netflix in July, Audience Data Reveals

Quinn Coleman, DJ, A&R Exec and Son of Former BET Chief Debra Lee, Dies at 31

A July report from BuzzFeed contained a range of racist accusations about behavior toward staffers of color. On the Monday call, DeGeneres said the reports left her heartbroken. As Variety exclusively reported, DeGeneres also announced that a trio of top producers who had been accused of sexual misconduct were fired.
Executive producers Ed Glavin and Kevin Leman and co-executive producer Jonathan Norman were all ousted following damning allegations raised in recent reports by Buzzfeed and Variety. “Ellen” veterans Mary Connelly, Andy Lassner and Derek Westervelt will remain at the show as executive producers alongside host DeGeneres. Connelly, Lassner and Westervelt have been with the show since its inception in 2003.
Boss also appears on the variety series “Ellen’s Game of Games” alongside DeGeneres, and hosts the series ‘Disney’s Fairy Tale Weddings” with wife Allison Holker for Disney Plus. Also credited as a choreographer and longtime dancer, Boss’ film credits include “Blades of Glory,” “Hairspray,” and “Magic Mike XXL.”

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

The Ellen DeGeneres Show features a recurring segment, called “Cash for Kindness,” that spreads good cheer by lying to people. DeGeneres will send a producer or an audience member out into the world to pretend to be some harried worker—a cater-waiter, a delivery person, a birthday-party magician—and then, in spectacular fashion, spill whatever they’re carrying on the sidewalk. As potatoes go rolling or greeting cards flap in the wind, a trap is laid. DeGeneres watches through hidden cameras to see which passersby do, or don’t, stop to help pick up the mess.

The bit is funny because it is mortifying. Speaking into her producer’s wireless earpiece, DeGeneres feeds her staffer ever-more-distressing banter to recite: There’s an engagement ring in the tiramisus! The greeting cards are supposed to be in alphabetical order! The strangers who stop to help are, you may suspect, a bit nervous that they’ve been roped into some scam—or maybe worse, roped into a situation that will expose the limits of their time, means, or generosity. Eventually, the undercover staffer reveals that they work for Ellen. The random Good Samaritan is brought onto the talk show’s set, and DeGeneres hands them cash: a reward for being kind, but also, it feels, payoff for being messed with.

Like any good prank, especially the pranks DeGeneres loves, cash-for-kindness revels in voyeurism, deceit, and discomfort, all of which get forgiven in the name of a laugh. Yet, like so much of DeGeneres’s comedy, this mischief doubles as do-goodery. It is part of DeGeneres’s grand campaign to merchandise kindness—which is also seen when she says “Be kind to one another” at the end of each show, or when she gets taxi drivers to hug Uber drivers on air, or when she hawks kindness-themed subscription boxes for up to $250 a year. Her aesthetic of cream colors, goofy grins, and uplifting tears, along with her amusing displays of light sadism, have earned her a $330 million empire, a raft of Emmys, and the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Full read - https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2020/08/mystery-ellen-degeneres/615571/

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Warner Bros. Execs Address Toxic Workplace Environment at Ellen and TMZ in Internal Memo
By Chris Murphy@christress
Photo: WireImage
After a summer filled with reports about the toxic work cultures behind the scenes of The Ellen Show and in the TMZ news room, WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar and WarnerMedia Studios and Network Head Ann Sarnoff have issued internal statements to Warner Bros. employees about the issues, calling the situation “unacceptable.” In an internal memo obtained by BuzzFeed News on Thursday, September 17, Kilar wrote that he was “both concerned and disappointed by public reports regarding patterns of unacceptable behavior that have been raised in recent weeks.” Over the summer, The Ellen Show axed three of its top producers due to multiple allegations of racism, intimidation, and sexual misconduct. Despite this, host and executive producer Ellen DeGeneres maintains she will return to the show and “talk about it,” addressing the heaps of allegations that have been lobbed against her show over the summer. In her memo, Sarnoff said that she will be holding her top executives “accountable for setting the tone for how we work together across the company and how we treat each other across the table.” You can read the memos that Jason Kilar and Ann Sarnoff sent to their staff below:
Hello Team –

I am both concerned and disappointed by public reports regarding patterns of unacceptable behavior that have been raised in recent weeks. This email is to share what we will be doing about it.

I’ve always been a believer that a reputation is largely what people say about you when you are not in the room. In my first four months here at WarnerMedia, I’ve thought a lot about our reputation. Specifically, what is our reputation today and what aspirations should we have for our reputation going forward?

I’ve come to the conclusion that one of the most important things I’d like people to say about us when we are not in the room is that we treat people with dignity.

What does it mean to treat a person with dignity? At a minimum, I believe it entails an acceptance of another person’s identity. It also entails a responsibility to validate, to recognize, and to include. Finally, I believe it entails a commitment to fairness and a commitment to maintaining a safe environment for all.

I say the above as prelude to the statement that going forward, we will be reinforcing our values and demanding more of ourselves and more of the people with whom we choose to partner. We will not be tolerating patterns of behavior that are at odds with our need to treat each other with dignity. What this means pragmatically:

We have engaged a third party to do an objective, proactive review across our production business (internal teams in addition to partner productions). I want to understand if there is any pattern of behavior that is at odds with our need to treat each other with dignity.
I also am encouraging all of you (and our partners) to report situations where you see a pattern of behavior at odds with this standard. This can be done with a simple communication to your supervisor or HR rep. It can also be done by sending an email to Mike Sofia, who heads up compliance for the company (michael.sofia@warnermediagroup.com). Anonymously, it can be done by calling our help line at 800-375-0288. We will continue to take seriously every allegation of abuse of power, unethical conduct, discrimination or other concerns, and investigate any claim brought forward.

Over the next few weeks, each of you will be receiving an updated version of our Standards of Business Conduct. You will be expected to fully digest this important document and sign up to it as a condition of being on this team.In the coming weeks, we will also be
to all of our existing and prospective partners (e.g., the active and potential motion picture and television productions). This communication will make clear the requirement that people be treated with dignity and our intention to sever ties where patterns of behavior are at odds with that requirement.

I anticipate that there will be situations where we choose to terminate business relationships. I also anticipate that there will be situations where a person may choose not to work with us because of these rigid expectations. That’s fine. While there may be companies that will do business with those people, we do not need to be one of them.

I also want to say that managing our way strongly through the above will entail remembering that we are all human. I am certain that we will make mistakes as we endeavor to get this right. But I know we can and will be better so long as we are clear in our expectations and hold each other accountable to those expectations each and every day.

With thanks –
Jason
Hi Everyone,

It’s been a little over a month since our two groups were brought together and in that time, I’ve had the opportunity to think about the culture of our new organization and want to share these thoughts with you.

As a new division of our company, we have the opportunity to clearly state our principles and our expectations right from the start, so we’re all working from the same playbook. The Studios and Networks group is a creative nexus for all of WarnerMedia, and our success will be based on innovation, calculated risk taking, unbridled creativity and a clearly defined code of conduct. We all have a role in supporting our code of conduct, and no one is above it.

So, with that in mind, some initial thoughts:

· Be collaborative in your creativity, think outside the box and outside your “legacy” company.
· Be respectful, and be open and direct in your communication.
· Let’s treat our colleagues the way we’d like to be treated, regardless of their job title or position.
· Do not be afraid to question authority or the status quo – everyone adds value and every voice matters.
· Finally, and perhaps most importantly, please feel empowered to call out behavior that runs counter to these values.

You can see these aren’t radical or even new ideas. But, unfortunately, they’re also not how some people have behaved in the past. It’s time for that to change. As the leader of this new organization, I take responsibility for what happens on my watch.

Over the last few weeks, I’ve been putting together my senior leadership team and I will hold them accountable for setting the tone for how we work together across the company and how we treat each other across the table. I’ve also empowered, and will hold accountable, the Studios and Networks HR and Legal teams to act on any issues that are brought to them. These groups are a safe harbor where you can register any concerns.

I know individuals (and organizations) thrive when there is trust – trust that the company values every one of its employees, and trust that when an employee raises an issue, it will be looked at expeditiously and thoroughly, and without risk of retaliation. No matter who raises the issue or who it is raised about. While the company has always had policies in place and acted on these matters, we will be redoubling our efforts. And, I will state here today, that this is how we will operate going forward.

Our culture is something that is very important to me, and it will be key to our growth and success. Please know that my commitment to this is more than just sending out a memo and checking a box. Starting with me, we all have a responsibility to help create an environment where everyone feels respected, valued and safe when they show up as their authentic selves. It’s how we’ll do our best work. In addition, to give us a baseline on our culture and to help us better understand your experiences and the work environment, we will be asking a third-party to conduct a culture survey of our group in the next few weeks.

I’m truly excited about the future of the Studios and Networks Group. Our opportunities and success are only limited by our imaginations, so let’s show everyone what we can do together.

Ann

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Ellen DeGeneres tests positive for COVID-19 as new report claims her talk show is struggling after workplace scandal

Suzy Byrne
·Editor, Yahoo Entertainment
Thu, December 10, 2020, 1:02 PM EST·4 min read

Ellen DeGeneres, at the Golden Globes in January, had COVID-19 and it's halted production on her talk show until 2021. Meanwhile, a new report claims the Ellen DeGeneres Show has suffered since its workplace toxicity scandal. (Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage)
Ellen DeGeneres announced Thursday that she has COVID-19 — luckily she is “feeling fine right now” though her daytime talk show is going on hiatus until 2021 — but she seems to have bigger problems behind the scenes of the TV program.

A new report from BuzzFeed News says that The Ellen DeGeneres Show continues to be impacted by workplace toxicity claims. While Ellen DeGeneres apologized amid the explosive allegations, which sparked an investigation, and several execs were ousted, the show is losing advertisers, some celebrities are staying away and ratings are down, the report claims.
The news outlet spoke with a current employee of the show, now in its 18th season, who said the show and its digital content have fewer advertisers and sponsors compared to past years, a shift that took place over the summer as the scandal unfolded. The employee claims staffers aren’t creating as much new content because there is less ad revenue — pointing to fewer sponsored posts on social media this year versus last — and editors have taken to recycling video clips from past seasons. (A second source collaborated these claims, according to the news site.)

The employee claimed it’s reflective in the show’s “12 Days of Giveaways” segments.
“In a typical year, ‘12 Days of Giveaways’ is huge,” the employee said. “We’ve basically claimed Christmas on daytime TV. When you think of Christmas on TV, you think of The Ellen Show. Everyone wants to be in the audience. Everyone wants the gifts. And so we line up all these crazy sponsors, and people love it. But this year, our ‘12 Days’ is more condensed. We don’t have as many sponsors.”
Show reps declined to comment for BuzzFeed News’s story — and to Yahoo Entertainment when we reached out — but a source close to the show denied “12 Days of Giveaways” is struggling over sponsorship, saying that it’s actually due to the pandemic. In the past, the show gave away great trips, but this year there are travel restrictions due to COVID restrictions.
It’s “not a reflection on [DeGeneres] or the business, but that’s directly impacted by the state of the world and the kind of show that’s being done now,” the show source said.
The employee source also claimed the show is struggling to book A-list guests. While there has been no shortage of talent — recent guests including Justin Bieber and various KarJenners — multiple publicists in the entertainment industry told the outlet they aren’t booking as many clients because, as one said, they don’t want them to be a part of DeGeneres’s “comeback tour.”
One publicist said, “I wouldn’t set up anyone on her show right now to do anything that could possibly cause them more negative headlines. You have to tread so carefully with your clients and your clients’ reputations, so you don't want to put your client in any line of fire sympathizing with someone that any community or anyone would feel bad about. We’re not going to align anyone with Ellen.”
A second publicist said this started even before the scandal, saying in their opinion the show “lost its authenticity a long time ago... It’s a place that’s very manufactured for [Bieber’s and Ariana Grande’s manager] Scooter Braun or for Kim Kardashian’s family to say whatever they wanted. It became something manufactured as opposed to something more authentic, which it used to be.”
Another publicist said that with show ratings being down — in October, it was reported they had declined 38 percent from last season — it isn’t a top choice as it once was. Plus, there are many other fresher options, like Kelly Clarkson’s and Drew Barrymore’s shows.
“The feedback we’ve been getting is that Ellen is no longer a first choice for talent,” another publicist said. “It’s not unique to one person. We’ve received feedback from other publicists as well as talent. Nobody likes feeling this emotional betrayal from someone who literally built a brand on niceness.”
The source close to the show pooh-poohed this as well, saying the ratings are reflective of an overall drop in live broadcast TV ratings, not just this show.
DeGeneres is locked in as show host through 2022, per a deal she signed in 2019. But for the next few weeks, she will be at home quarantining due to COVID-19. In a message posted to social media on Thursday, she wrote, “Anyone who has been in close contact with me has been notified, and I am following all proper CDC guidelines. I’ll see you all again after the holidays. Please stay healthy and safe.”
As far as the popular daytime show goes, a spokesperson tells Yahoo Entertainment, “Following Ellen’s announcement this morning, we have paused production on The Ellen DeGeneres Show until January.”

Darrkman

Hollis, Queens = Center of the Universe
BGOL Investor
I'm pretty sure she's going to retire from doing that show within the next year. Especially because this article about how many viewers she's lost has brought it right back into the public mindset.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Ellen DeGeneres’s Final Prank Is Ending Ellen in 2022
By Devon Ivie@devonsaysrelax

Photo: VALERIE MACON/AFP via Getty Images
What interesting timing! After leading her popular daytime talk show for a mighty 19 seasons, Ellen DeGeneres will be ending Ellen in 2022 when her contract expires. Speaking to THR about her decision to step away from the show, DeGeneres insisted that it wasn’t due to the recent toxicity and misconduct allegations that have plagued Ellen, but rather stemmed from conversations with family and friends over several years about professional fulfillment. “Look, it’s going to be really hard on the last day, but I also know it’s time. I’m a creative person, and when you’re a creative person you constantly need to be challenged,” DeGeneres told THR. I just needed something to challenge me. And as great as this show is, and as fun as it is, it’s just not a challenge anymore. I need something new to challenge me.” She added, about what to expect from her future projects, “I don’t even know the answer. I’ve been trying to think about that. I have some ideas.”
My Week In New York
The one story you shouldn’t miss, selected by New York editors

When asked about the numerous allegations from July 2020 about Ellen’s toxic work environment, which included staffer stories about widespread racism, fear, and intimidation, DeGeneres said that they were “very hurtful” to her. She also called some of the claims, such as staffers alleging they couldn’t make direct eye contact with her, “so stupid.” (The allegations spurred three of the show’s executive producers to be fired in August 2020, in addition to the show’s ratings significantly tanking.) “It destroyed me, honestly. I’d be lying if I said it didn’t. And it makes me really sad that there’s so much joy out there from negativity. It’s a culture now where there are just mean people, and it’s so foreign to me that people get joy out of that,” DeGeneres said about the claims. “I’m not a scary person. I’m really easy to talk to. So, we’ve all learned from things that we didn’t realize — or I didn’t realize — were happening. I just want people to trust and know that I am who I appear to be.” In the meantime, always remember to “be kind.” Or not.