Kareem's Open Letter To Pippen For His Comments About Lebron...

8SD8-retired_member

Star
Registered
http://lakersblog.latimes.com/laker...lebron-james-may-be-the-greatest-player-.html

How Soon They Forget: An Open Letter to Scottie Pippen

Dear Scottie,

I have nothing but respect for you my friend as an athlete and knowledgeable basketball mind. But you are way off in your assessment of who is the greatest player of all time and the greatest scorer of all time. Your comments are off because of your limited perspective. You obviously never saw Wilt Chamberlain play who undoubtedly was the greatest scorer this game has ever known. When did MJ ever average 50.4 points per game plus 25.7 rebounds? (Wilt in the 1962 season when blocked shot statistics were not kept). We will never accurately know how many shots Wilt blocked. Oh, by the way in 1967 and 68, Wilt was a league leader in assists. Did MJ ever score 100 points in a game? How many times did MJ score more than 60 points in a game? MJ led the league in scoring in consecutive seasons for 10 years but he did this in an NBA that eventually expanded into 30 teams vs. when Wilt played and there were only 8 teams.

Every team had the opportunity to amass a solid nucleus. Only the cream of the basketball world got to play then. So MJ has to be appraised in perspective. His incredible athletic ability, charisma and leadership on the court helped to make basketball popular around the world -- no question about that. But in terms of greatness, MJ has to take a backseat to The Stilt.

In terms of winning, Michael excelled as both an emotional and scoring leader but Bill Russell’s Celtics won eight consecutive NBA Championships. Bill's rebounding average per game is over 22.5 lifetime, MJs best rebounding years was eight per game (1989). But we will never know exactly how many shots Bill Russell blocked because again, they never kept that statistic while he played. However, if you ask anybody that played against Russell, they will just roll their eyes and say he blocked all the shots he wanted to block in the crucial moments of a game.

Bill played on a total of 11 championship teams and as you very well know, Scottie, the ring is the thing, and everything else is just statistics. So I would advise you to do a little homework before crowning Michael or LeBron with the title of best ever. As dominant as he is, LeBron has yet to win a championship. I must say that it looks like Miami has finally put the team together that will change that circumstance. Its my hope that today’s players get a better perspective on exactly what has been done in this league in the days of yore.

Affectionately,
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar,
NBA’s All-Time Leading Scorer

Anthony-Cruz

Star
Registered
Cool.

Not to discredit Wilt and Bill but they did play in the 50s and 60s, in a league where they were really each others competition. Wilt wouldn't average 50 points per game in today's NBA. IMO, Jordan averaging 37 points a game in the 86-87 is more impressive than Wilt's 50 ppg.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Cool.

Not to discredit Wilt and Bill but they did play in the 50s and 60s, in a league where they were really each others competition. Wilt wouldn't average 50 points per game in today's NBA. IMO, Jordan averaging 37 points a game in the 86-87 is more impressive than Wilt's 50 ppg.

I think I'd take his word before yours.

He saw both eras first hand.

Most of us like to comment on things we didn't see and barely know about.

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
brace yourselves for BGOL babies who will flood this thread

Just when you thought we were done with babysitting...

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
I feel Kareem, there is more to NBA history than just Jordan. And i say that as a MJ fan. Todays sports media ignores NBA players and their accomplishments prior to 1980.

MadWun

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I feel Kareem, there is more to NBA history than just Jordan. And i say that as a MJ fan. Todays sports media ignores NBA players and their accomplishments prior to 1980.

Exactly. Some folks think the NBA started in the Magic/Bird/MJ era :smh:

bigman23

Rising Star
Registered
Cool.

agree mj average was against better competition and wilt had no competition he would not average 50 in this day and age but mj would still do that now

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Cool.

I disagree. When there were fewer teams, the talent per team was much deeper when Russell and Wilt played. Plus most of them would be finished products that went through a rugged college experience so there were no high schoolers watering it down (nothing against HS NBA players, I'm all for them if someone wants them but more often than not, they're not NBA ready and that included a rookie Kobe Bryant). Wilt and Russell would have dominated during MJ's era but not so much now when the defenses are so handicapped.

That said, Kareem couldn't have said that in a phone call?

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
agree mj average was against better competition and wilt had no competition he would not average 50 in this day and age but mj would still do that now

Did you actually see the competition Wilt and Russell played against?

Anthony-Cruz

Star
Registered

Lol, not only that, Wilt played in every single minute of the season he averaged 50 ppg. An NBA game is 48 minutes right? he averaged 48.5 minutes per game that season :smh::smh::lol::lol:

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
That said, Kareem couldn't have said that in a phone call?

No, because Pippen's comments were public, so Kareem's should be as well.

Wilt unfortunately isn't able to speak for himself.

I've been disgusted by the disrespect of basketball pre Magic and Bird myself.

Just like dudes get upset when young dudes say Lil Wayne is the best. You quickly correct them.

Nzinga

Lover of Africa
BGOL Investor
Bullshit...if basketball was equally competitive in those days, how come so many cacs could be stars? The reason why Wilt averaged points is that he played against cacs...If he played now on in the time of MJ, he would barely crack 20 a game, as is the cases with any big man in this day.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
No, because Pippen's comments were public, so Kareem's should be as well.

Wilt unfortunately isn't able to speak for himself.

I've been disgusted by the disrespect of basketball pre Magic and Bird myself.

Just like dudes get upset when young dudes say Lil Wayne is the best. You quickly correct them.

Then don't call it an "open letter", just say what you're going to say. The whole "open letter" idea comes off as attention whorish.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
i also don't acknowledge dudes who don't have a statue.

:lol:

Bullshit...if basketball was equally competitive in those days, how come so many cacs could be stars? The reason why Wilt averaged points is that he played against cacs...If he played now on in the time of MJ, he would barely crack 20 a game, as is the cases with any big man in this day.

2769-soccer_kick.jpg

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

:hmm:

While I don't think Wilt would be as dominant now as he was then it has nothing to do with competition. Take the rules Wilt and Russell played under, bring them forward to 2011 and Wilt and Russell would be dominating, especially against this current crop of centers.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I want to see Wilt average points against Ewing, Malone, Dream etc etc...night in night out

Of those three (only two are centers), Olajuwon is only one on close to the level of Wilt and Russell. I loved Patrick Ewing but he didn't have the killer instinct of Russell and Chamberlain's power would have given him trouble.

RED

Rising Star
Registered
Cool.

I agree with the first statement and last statment but strongly disagree with the second. You honestly think highly skilled centers wouldnt dominate in todays soft league where the art of being a big man is all but lost???

I think most people don't acknowledge basketball before Jordan.

This is true only because most people live by "If I didnt see it, it didnt happen", so most people dont remember or care to learn about ball pre-Jordan, hell most people youngins dont even know much about Jordan which is why these Kobe/LeBron debates even occur.

I think I'd take his word before yours.

He saw both eras first hand.

Most of us like to comment on things we didn't see and barely know about.

Co-sign, as I said above. I have only seen footage of the legends and they were phenomenal at what they did BUT they were in the early stages of ball before it was developed and the competition was peaked. Jordan, Bird, and Magic all played at the peak of the sport when it was at its maximum potential from the rules, to the competition thats why they get more respect and are praised moreso than the legends before them.

Kareem's points were extremely valid and on-point but I think they apply moreso to LeBron than Jordan. Because MJ is the greatest all-around ball player to play and the most popular and impactful player to play the game...

DCMC

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Cool.

:yes:

Pworld297

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
He is talking about big men who played in an era when there really was not that many big men like it is today. They still would be great players but it would be much tougher for them to dominate night in and night out in the NBA. Jordan dominated a league where some of the best big men played in that era.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
He is talking about big men who played in an era when there really was not that many big men like it is today. They still would be great players but it would be much tougher for them to dominate night in and night out in the NBA. Jordan dominated a league where some of the best big men played in that era.

Yeah, it's a bunch of great big men today.

Such as Dwight Howard and...... :hmm:

Blunt

Rising Star
Registered
So Kareem lectures Pippen with "the ring is the thing, and everything else is just statistics," and then SIGNS his own letter with "NBA's All-Time Leading Scorer" rather than 6-time NBA champion. :confused:

As usual, Kareem is speaking out of both sides of his mouth.

Damn Right

Rising Star
Registered
Cool.

dudes today can say the same thing about mj's era, when he and magic and bird played, about how players today are more athletic and faster. jump higher, etc.

they can claim mj, magic and bird wouldn't have dominated today that they did then.

that's why every era has to stand on its own. to many excuse makers can switch the arguement without even answering the question