James Mtume Has Reportedly Passed Away

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Wow, just came on here to see if someone had posted about Saget, and I see this. RIP!!!

Aside from the music, he used to do some kinda political/current events talk radio stuff back in like the 90's on 98.7 kiss fm (or WBLS....memory fails me) Sunday mornings. Was an intelligent dude.

dinka64

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The first time I noticed Mtume was JuicyFruit. I rushed out and bought the album and was kind of pissed. I only liked ONE song and that was Juicyfruit. Back to the record store. I was like what else do you have by this mtume group. There was this old creole man that owned the record store we were cool he got me any album I asked for. He handed me Kiss the world goodbye and in search of the rainbow seekers. I went home and put on in search of the rainbow seekers I cued up Give it on up. Solid. I played a few more cuts and liked the album. On to Kiss the world goodbye. Another solid album. Juicy fruit was really getting a lot of play. Out the blue they dropped You me and He the single, followed by the album. Tawatha Agee’s vocals were spectacular. Mtume was a major player now (little did I know He Had Been a major Player). I got a call from the old man at the record store he told me to come to the store. When I got there, he handed me a copy of Mtume Umoja Ensemble ‎– Alkebu-Lan – Land Of The Blacks (Live At The East) He said this is a Rare album hold on to It. I broke my neck to get back to the pad. I fired up a spliff and for the next few hours I listened to the most melodic composition of music words and sounds. Over the years I saw Mtume in concert Once. Excellent show. RIP Big Brother.

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I've run into Mtume on a few occasions back in the day.
Cool Dude.
Very much a Black Musicologist.
What else can one expect from a Dude who work with Black Musical Pedigree early in his career?

He and Reggie Lucas produced some of the finest R&B/Soul.
Especially with Stephanie Mills.
Who I still have a CRUSH on to this day since seeing Her in "THE WIZ". back in '77.

R.I.P.