Is Old Music Killing New Music?

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Let's keep it real here. There's nothing new about this. A lot of late 80s/early 90s music began to sound alike as well.
prove it
The difference then being....there was a global musical fad that had JUST taken over: New Jack Swing.
Of course everyone jumped on that bandwagon. Thus songs sounding similar.

this is not true
even at peak New Jack Swing... Neo Soul and British R&B was also the charts

also a lot of "New Jack Swing" songs wasn't New Jack Swing

dugington

Rising Star
Registered
prove it

this is not true

Oh no, I totally agree that there was still much more diversity. Especially in Hip Hop.
I was only addressing his claim of similarity in R&B. Mad producers was chasing that Teddy Riley sound from around '89 to '92.
Even then, there was still lots of different sounds and styles happening.

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
prove it

this is not true

Prove it? Want me to start posting songs from the 90s that sounded alike?

DMXtreem

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I don't know where you niggas at or have access too, but check out Roc Marciano, Rome Streetz, Flee Lord, Al Divino, Estee Nack, Willie the Kid, Dark Lo, Agallah, Ankhlejohn, Griselda, Lil Eto, Planet Aisa, Tristate, Jah Monte, Fly Anakin, Big Kahuna OG, Koncept Jackson, Boldy James, Bub Rock, Hus Kingpin, Ca$ablanca, Nowaah the Flood, Raz Fresco, Crimeapple, Daniel Son, El Camino, etc.

I had a similar cinversation with my niggas I think the underlying feeling abiut old music is that may represent a time in your life where you were optimistic, and as you got older things aint workout how you thought they would when you were 16-24, and you want that old time feeling again.
There's a "bit" of truth to your statement however, I have to largely disagree. Yes, one does reminisce, but with all music, yet overwhelmingly, the music from the late 50's into the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's was just better music, all the way around. Predominantly, when listening to those decades you will hear real people playing real instruments displaying real musicianship. Singers / Balladere's had a real vocal range up and down the music scale. And the music was actually "composed" instead of being punched out on an electronic pad. The fascinating aspect of it all is most of the musicians of that time got introduced / taught an instrument in school and just like the singers they practiced their craft in a church setting, hence the label "Soul Music". Sadly these catalysts are not involved in the process anymore, to the large influence they once had, which is now being seen. Our ears have been "dumbed down" so to speak, for lack of a better phrase, into accepting these she's and he's that can only harmonize 2 notes, and with the help of auto-tune can do 3 notes, maybe. The music from these 5 mentioned decades is fantastically golden and it can not be duplicated so nothing like it will ever be heard again. Additionally, when you listen closely to the lyrics they speak of, affirming life, losing gaining and cherishing love, freedom of thought and action, God, and equal treatment, this goes for black and white people!!!

This new music, most of it is anti-life, especially the Rap music, which was the opposite for me. It's cool sounding when you're young but as you age, you won't want to hear or reminisce to, lets get high, shoot that nygga, kill that nygga, bytch suck my dick. You'll want to hear some "Soul Music", that other madness is simply not good for the Soul!!! Lastly, I admit that I'm not familiar with any of the folks you've mentioned, and it's possible they may mimic some of the things I've stated here about good music for the soul, which is probably why I've never heard them. Mainstream media doesn't push artists to the front that are not about self-destruction.

Last edited:

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Oh no, I totally agree that there was still much more diversity. Especially in Hip Hop.
I was only addressing his claim of similarity in R&B. Mad producers was chasing that Teddy Riley sound from around '89 to '92.
Even then, there was still lots of different sounds and styles happening.
yeah
producers were also chasing Jam & Lewis and LAFace equally as those copying Eddie F and Teddy

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Prove it? Want me to start posting songs from the 90s that sounded alike?
sure ...

every era has some songs that sound a like - but majority still vary tempo vocal tone style etc

only in this new era do the majority of songs sound the same

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
Sampling: taking the words, music, and/or effects from a song or songs crafted by gifted,
long revered musical artist in bits and pieces, stringing them together with a rhyme or three,
and calling oneself an "artist" because of it.

a.k.a. taking somebody else's shit and calling it your own.
Chopping up songs is an art form and I’d like all the shit talkers who think sampling is easy or stealing to make a banging samples beat. I get tired of people dissing sampling when everybody samples. Everybody has sampled shit at some point. Putting together the right drums and percussions with a chopped sample ain’t some basic task a random idiot can do and make it sound good. I will battle any nigga here talking shit about sampling and see if you can actually do it or just sit around like a 80 year old out of touch nigga complaining. Sampling is hiphop

FOH

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
In the 90's if someone had a hit the lables,production companies,producers,hustlers, all tried to copy the look,the sound or whatever hit but it was done before the 1990's you can go back to Motown and before them;Do you know how many record lables,groups,singers cut records back in the days that went no where but the trash can?to many to count,thousands...."Wait a minute mr.Postman"....."Wait a minute Mr.Milk man"...."Wait a minute Mr.Police man".....all flops.There's proof of that with this commercial that comes on about Christmas and a hispanic man buying his dog a gift....it's an R&B song done by a group from Ohio,three brothers and their sister who wrote a few songs,cut a few albums and it never went past their local radio station back in the days.....fast forward decades 2011 some white dude found the record and added it to a sountrack to some movie,had to find the people on the song so they could use it,at that time one of the siblings was dead the other's not doing well and the sister had retired from the post office after working 30yrs,which after reading the article it sounds like she had passed away too cause they were talking to her daughter who had no idea about a group or an album......2021-2022 that song is in a commercial getting played several times a day a cross the country.
LL.Bean commercial and the groups name is Penny & The Quarters and the song is "You and me"

Today there's no difference their chasing a hit,stealing,but I believe real talent and timing kills all of that.

Last edited:

sorcererforemost

Rising Star
Registered
Folks say this but they state of music won't change until the listeners demand more variety.

The older acts are not to blame.

TeEdIzZeL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
To keep it simple....one of the differences with todays music vs old school is studio sessions. Nowadays artist just send everything via email so they never have a chance to pick up on anything to ever progress so thats why they ALL sound the same

Back in the day when you had Pac in the studio with Snoop, Big in the studio with Jay, etc. You cant tell me that someone said "ohh the way he did that was dope, Ima try that out" or " Ohh so thats how he writes his hooks...i never knew that" etc etc. Thats what allowed artist to grow and get better with time.