Concerts: Good Ones, Bad Ones and Meh Ones You've Been To

godofwine

Supreme Porn Poster - Ret
BGOL Investor
Last night I was on IG and somebody mentioned ice cube and said he was on tour. I looked and come to find out he was going to be in my city today, so I said what the fuck.

I went on Tick Pick and got tickets in Row J for $120. I make an appointment not to go to a concert if I am sitting so far I can't tell the difference between Jill Scott and Kelly Clarkson. Ain't no sense of going to a concert when you're sitting that goddamn far

That said, it was a phenomenal show. He rapped for almost the entire 2 hours outside of when he let special guests Scarface and WC perform.

So many concerts you go to and they don't know the words to their songs, they're reading the teleprompter, they're pointing the microphone at the crowd (He actually spoke about that. "I paid my money to see you and hear you sing, not me"), they have a myriad of issues, but this was not one of them. He knew all of his songs. I recorded the whole show while watching the show (I might post it in the basement)

Ice Cube



Well worth the money. The fact that he knew all of his songs, had energy, the vibe was great, and I was close as fuck led to a very entertaining show. This is by far the best hip hop concert I've been to that wasn't laden with theatrics. Missy Elliot put on a great show, but there was a lot of theatrics, and that was okay for her act, I get it. For most of Ice cubes show it was just him on stage with a mic just flowing, and the theatrics were behind the show not the show, if you know what I mean.

The best concerts I've been to work Celine Dion - that skinny ass white women did her thing in 2019. God damn. Her voice was so powerful for a 100 lb woman.

Next best show, John Mayer. That motherfucker put on a goddamn show. That motherfucker sang for about 65 minutes, told the crowd, "Hey, I'm about to take a break, why don't you all go take a break too. Y'all go get a drink and I'll see y'all back out here in 20 minutes," - then the dude proceeded to come out and do another about 90 minutes, even remixing some other songs he played during the first half of the set. Amazing show

Babyface - that dude has written so much music and giving it away It's almost criminal. I heard someone say he would be in the Hall of Fame if he hadn't given away most of his greatest songs. I've seen him at the Cincinnati Music fest and again last month in Detroit with Charlie Wilson' and K-Ci. He was also my first concert as he opened for Boyz II Men in 1995

Charlie Wilson - I've seen him at the Cincinnati Music fest and he was dancing around belying his age. This was 5 years ago or so. When I saw him recently last month, I'd heard he had recently had surgery so he wasn't dancing around as much. Still an amazing voice

It's also cool that one of my high school classmates, Walter Barnes has been playing with Babyface for the past 10 years or so I guess.
* *
Jill Scott, Jilly from Philly also put on a great show. Her voice sounds so beautiful and I've seen her three times. Great performance is each time. At the Cincinnati Music fest a couple years ago she went on before Al Green, and while Al Green was singing she was dancing and having a good time on the floor beside the stage. I got the video here somewhere


Meh
Meh, The Queens - Gladys Knight, Stephanie Mills, Chaka Khan and Patti LaBelle. (May 30, 2025)

Stephanie Mills did her motherfucking thing. Her performance was by far the best although it was the shortest. It should also be noted that she's the youngest of these four ladies, but Patti LaBelle couldn't remember the lyrics of her songs and the teleprompter broke halfway through the show, so she paused while they fixed that. It should be noted that Patti LaBelle is 81. Patti LaBelle put on a great show when I saw her in 2019, and father time is undefeated.

Chaka Khan was high as fuck and on at least two separate occasions POINTED to her backup singer who sang the notes She was famous for singing. Her high ass needs to sit her ass down. If it was just her at the concert it would have been a waste of money. The backup singers for the other three did the lion share of the work, So Stephanie Mills was the only performer in this group that was worth the money at this point in their careers
 
My top 3 best shows I’ve seen was
Erykah Badu she sounded and looked so amazing did the hits (full songs no medleys) then came out for an encore and did almost the full album of New Amerykah pt1

Mint Condition with Eric Roberson as the opener I had never heard of him before that show and I’m a fan now that boy was cold. I would have been satisfied with just his performance but Mint came out and destroyed all the hits Stokley even stopped mid show and let the band go OFF them dudes are nasty with the instruments. I’m pretty sure that was the night my youngest was conceived lol

My #1 so far is OutKast saw them in Louisville on the waterfront. Even tho the crowd was mostly pinktoes it was still pure energy and fun. Did the hits talked shit with the crowd and when B.O.B came on the whole spot lost they fuckin minds! I was dancing so hard I thought my heart was gonna stop and I was cool with it…it was OutKast “with a K them niggas is hard” I hope to be able to see them one more time with the whole dungeon and attic crew before I leave this place.

Other shows that were amazing was Charlie Wilson and Cameo at the Taste of Chicago they both rocked it out there and that was the week MJ died Charlie did a tribute medley that made me tear up for the King of Pop.

Seen Jigga and 50 headline in ATL they was dope too but I was really there for YoungBloodz and Bone Crusha me and my folk was A-Town stomppin all thru that bitch

My only meh I can think of was MC Hammer back in like 2009 so he was older and didn’t dance as much he did a lot of intros and let his back up dancers lead I was hoping for more energy and full songs but he still a legend to me
 
My top 3 best shows I’ve seen was
Erykah Badu she sounded and looked so amazing did the hits (full songs no medleys) then came out for an encore and did almost the full album of New Amerykah pt1

Mint Condition with Eric Roberson as the opener I had never heard of him before that show and I’m a fan now that boy was cold. I would have been satisfied with just his performance but Mint came out and destroyed all the hits Stokley even stopped mid show and let the band go OFF them dudes are nasty with the instruments. I’m pretty sure that was the night my youngest was conceived lol

My #1 so far is OutKast saw them in Louisville on the waterfront. Even tho the crowd was mostly pinktoes it was still pure energy and fun. Did the hits talked shit with the crowd and when B.O.B came on the whole spot lost they fuckin minds! I was dancing so hard I thought my heart was gonna stop and I was cool with it…it was OutKast “with a K them niggas is hard” I hope to be able to see them one more time with the whole dungeon and attic crew before I leave this place.

Other shows that were amazing was Charlie Wilson and Cameo at the Taste of Chicago they both rocked it out there and that was the week MJ died Charlie did a tribute medley that made me tear up for the King of Pop.

Seen Jigga and 50 headline in ATL they was dope too but I was really there for YoungBloodz and Bone Crusha me and my folk was A-Town stomppin all thru that bitch

My only meh I can think of was MC Hammer back in like 2009 so he was older and didn’t dance as much he did a lot of intros and let his back up dancers lead I was hoping for more energy and full songs but he still a legend to me
On your word I just bought tickets to see Erykah Badu in Detroit on November 20th. I bought two and I don't even have a date yet. Fuck it
 
Sade.. engineering was crisp. Sounded like they were in a studio.
Cameo..excellent musicians. Check out Nasty live! Excellent especially Back n Forth with horns!.
Prince...you know the deal!
 
Sade.. engineering was crisp. Sounded like they were in a studio.
Cameo..excellent musicians. Check out Nasty live! Excellent especially Back n Forth with horns!.
Prince...you know the deal!
I just saw Earth wind & Fire at the Cincinnati Music Festival. That was absolutely astounding. The percussionist Ralph Johnson is 74 years old and he was literally jumping, I'm talking about shoulder height jumping during the show at least 30 times. I was absolutely astounded. My knees were like, "How Sway?"

Just when I thought they were out of hits to play They played another one, and another one and another one
 
Personal fave shows attended ...


- Souls of Mischief - 10th anniversary show in Oct. 2003 - Little Brother and others were the opening acts

- Up in Smoke tour - floor seats - row 3 - got the tickets for cheap

- Common - small venue around 2005 or 2006
 
those were good seats for ice cube! coming up, used to see dre, yella and ren before nwa formed, getting their skills up. good times

as far as concerts, i didn't have bread like that back in the day to roll to concerts on the regular, plus not a crowds guy but...off rip...the good...

luther vandross. he had the entire audience spellbound, and sounded better than his records. can still hear the 'lou! lou! lou! ringing out at the forum

erykah badu. her style was made for concerts, neo soul vibes.

mc hammer. someone mentioned him earlier, i caught him and the crew EARLY days before they came up nationally, they were performing at a club, almost standing next to him. stage presence and energy was off the charts, and no one was ready for those frat inspired routines on stage. knew at that point that he would be a star, but had no idea how big he would get

can't think of bad ones at the moment, but it's late, will circle back if i remember
 
She's married. And she cut me off after she almost called my name while fucking her husband. She said that was too close.

It's be nice though. Never had a chick enjoy Zod so much :lol:


Damn. Yeah. She had that close call that jeopardized the marriage. Too funny!
 
Best concert I’ve ever seen was Badu, Commom and The Roots. They were all onstage through each set and Roots Crew played for all the acts.

Most consistent shows were Dave Mathews and John Mayer. No bullshit, just straight music!

Worst show was either Boys 2 Men or NAS and Badu tour.

Two biggest disappointments was Sade tour with John Legend as her opener. Place was half empty before we decided to leave. Straight ass. Sade is boring as fuck live. Seen her again with Usher. Ass.

I saw Ledisi try to be Beyonce for over an hour and it was ass. Dancing and costume changes. Nah. Nope.

My friend is friends with Vince Neil of Motley Crue so I’ve seen them a few times. It was wild as hell. So loud. I was the concert where Tommy got stuck upside down while drumming. Vince was fat as fuck. HAAA!
 
Best concert I’ve ever seen was Badu, Commom and The Roots. They were all onstage through each set and Roots Crew played for all the acts.

Most consistent shows were Dave Mathews and John Mayer. No bullshit, just straight music!

Worst show was either Boys 2 Men or NAS and Badu tour.

Two biggest disappointments was Sade tour with John Legend as her opener. Place was half empty before we decided to leave. Straight ass. Sade is boring as fuck live. Seen her again with Usher. Ass.

I saw Ledisi try to be Beyonce for over an hour and it was ass. Dancing and costume changes. Nah. Nope.

My friend is friends with Vince Neil of Motley Crue so I’ve seen them a few times. It was wild as hell. So loud. I was the concert where Tommy got stuck upside down while drumming. Vince was fat as fuck. HAAA!
I agree with you about Boyz II Men. They did the lamest show I've ever seen. They did the greatest hits, a medley and that's it. It might have been 60 minutes, maybe 65 but they could have done the fourth song on either their first three albums and everybody would have known every word

They left, no encore no nothing Just out. 30 years and all we got was a one hour show
 
Gwar when I was 19 years old. I worked at a music store and they asked if I wanted to attend to sell cds. That was the craziest and coolest shit I'd ever seen.
Wtf? I either found out about them on Headbangers ball or Beavis n Butthead, I can't exactly remember but I you to trip out on that band. That's wild that you seen them in person.
 
Worst concerts I've attended:

Genesis- I actually fell asleep during the concert. Genesis without Phil Collins is like The Beatles without Paul.
Parliament/Funkadelic- A bunch of black men in modified Kiss costumes, and a grown man in diapers playing a (bass?) guitar? Music was weak and uninspiring. I am being kind.

Best concerts I've attended:

Pat Metheny Group- the original group from way back in the 80s. Never heard of them before the concert. Grass, wine, cheese, and a beautiful date made it an event to to remember many years later.

Black Sabbath- a friend of a friend was sent to get 3 tickets for somebody else I didn't really want to see. Tickets were sold out, he opted to get 3 tickets for Black Sabbath, who I later found out started as a jazz band. The music was phenomenal- it was like listening to songs straight from the album. The musicianship was phenomenal, to say the least.

Dizzy Gillespie- THIRD ROW CENTER. Billy Eckstein was an unannounced guest. If you know, you know. If not, I am sorry for you.

David Bowie: Carlos Alomar and Earl slick on guitars. INSANE. Bowie was a true master of his craft. The musical execution was as close to flawless as I have ever seen in a live concert.

McCoy Tyner: FREE concert in Detroit. Half the people in the crowd didn't know who he was before he sat down to play. I am sure they never forgot after the fact.
 
Gwar when I was 19 years old. I worked at a music store and they asked if I wanted to attend to sell cds. That was the craziest and coolest shit I'd ever seen.
I got put on to Gwar via Bevis and Butthead their videos always looked like a nightmare that you can’t stop watching
 
Last month, took the wife to Vegas to see Chris Brown... trust me when I tell you this... as a man don't take anyone but your boys.... Dude had Allegent Stadium FULL of BITCHES 2 nights str8. I got all my reservations done in June cause dude ain't cheap at all ( 600$ tickets. Floor... up front ) ... Hellva Show ... CB "flew" across the stadium Peter Pan Style, in da dark, inna LED vest... Dude is COLD :frozen:
 
Worst concerts I've attended:

Genesis- I actually fell asleep during the concert. Genesis without Phil Collins is like The Beatles without Paul.
Parliament/Funkadelic- A bunch of black men in modified Kiss costumes, and a grown man in diapers playing a (bass?) guitar? Music was weak and uninspiring. I am being kind.

Best concerts I've attended:

Pat Metheny Group- the original group from way back in the 80s. Never heard of them before the concert. Grass, wine, cheese, and a beautiful date made it an event to to remember many years later.

Black Sabbath- a friend of a friend was sent to get 3 tickets for somebody else I didn't really want to see. Tickets were sold out, he opted to get 3 tickets for Black Sabbath, who I later found out started as a jazz band. The music was phenomenal- it was like listening to songs straight from the album. The musicianship was phenomenal, to say the least.

Dizzy Gillespie- THIRD ROW CENTER. Billy Eckstein was an unannounced guest. If you know, you know. If not, I am sorry for you.

David Bowie: Carlos Alomar and Earl slick on guitars. INSANE. Bowie was a true master of his craft. The musical execution was as close to flawless as I have ever seen in a live concert.

McCoy Tyner: FREE concert in Detroit. Half the people in the crowd didn't know who he was before he sat down to play. I am sure they never forgot after the fact.
Your list of your favorite concerts is fantastic. From that list I can definitely tell you are an OG. Music and concerts were so much better back in the day I hear. Artists took pride in their concerts, they didn't look at it as a formality. They didn't look at it as, "All right, I got to do this amount of minutes."

I had to look up Billy Eckstein. Listening to "I Apologize" on Spotify now. Smooth voice.

A friend went to a Prince concert in the early 2000s. He came out at 8:00, played until 11:00, then said, "can I just hang with y'all?" And then he just played until 2:00 in the morning.

Imagine that shit. A 6-hour concert from Prince.
 
Best concert I’ve ever seen was Badu, Commom and The Roots. They were all onstage through each set and Roots Crew played for all the acts.

Most consistent shows were Dave Mathews and John Mayer. No bullshit, just straight music!




Agreed on John Mayer.

Saw him around 2006 or 2007. Somewhere around there. He was co-touring with Sheryl Crow.

He did 75 mins, followed by her doing about 90. Venue was an older hockey arena, but the acoustics were surprisingly good.

Guitar work from Mayer had the heaux creaming themselves in the crowd.
 
Your list of your favorite concerts is fantastic. From that list I can definitely tell you are an OG. Music and concerts were so much better back in the day I hear. Artists took pride in their concerts, they didn't look at it as a formality. They didn't look at it as, "All right, I got to do this amount of minutes."

I had to look up Billy Eckstein. Listening to "I Apologize" on Spotify now. Smooth voice.

A friend went to a Prince concert in the early 2000s. He came out at 8:00, played until 11:00, then said, "can I just hang with y'all?" And then he just played until 2:00 in the morning.

Imagine that shit. A 6-hour concert from Prince.
Yeah, both Gillespie and Eckstein died not long after that concert. I was not familiar with his music at the time, but had heard of him because I liked jazz (real jazz, not this krab with a k crap they pass off as "smooth jazz") way back when I was in high school. I knew when Eckstein took the stage I was witnessing something extraordinary.

I agree about the differences then and now. The last concert I attended was about 3-4 years ago. The concert was SUPPOSED to feature one of my favorite bands on the planet, WAR.

Unfortunately, it seems like one of the guys from the original band retained rights to the band's name and got some people to play their songs (and other peoples songs! WAR playing other people's songs is just WRONG) as if they were the original band. It was very much like the time my then girlfriend got us free tickets to see Earth Wind and Fire. Let me tell you... EWF without Philip Bailey or Maurice White is NOT Earth Wind and Fire.

It supports my stance about music: it used to be played exclusively my MUSICIANS.

Today, it's all about a "look", "style" or "persona" rather than talent. Back in the day, musicians and audiences had a rapport. During a live performance, that rapport lasted until it lasted, like in the Prince scenario you referenced.
 
Last edited:
Best:

Stevie Wonder at Orchestra Hall in Chi. 90 minutes with just him and a piano. Brother Steve was amazing.

Parliament/Funkadelic in Grant Park. They had all of us out of our seats and in the aisles dancing. Funktastic.

Gregory Porter. The man is IMO the best male singer out. My lady and I talked with him a bit after his concert. He's a really down to earth, personable, humble brotha.

B.B. King and Bobby 'Blue' Bland sharing a stage.

Meshell Ndege'ocello. Her band was among the best that I've ever seen live. Meshell was getting down on bass guitar.


Mid:

Maze f/ Frankie Beverly. No shade. This is my favorite all time group after the Isleys, but Brother Frankie's voice was nearly gone and he had to rely on the audience to finish a lot of lines- especially higher notes. Even still, the mood was chill and right.
 
Back
Top