Is every action understandable when you know the back story?

Are all actions understandable with a full knowledge of someone's history?

• Total voters

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
Not asking if it is justifiable, but are all actions understandable with a full knowledge of someone's history?

Whether it comes down to environment or genetics, I suspect the answer is yes.

Formally stated, Newton's third law is: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

I would apply this principle to the biggest "monsters" in history. From Hitler and bin Laden to Jon Benet Ramsey's parents and every abusive Catholic priest. From Caligula and the Koch brothers to every slave owner and slave trader back to Saddam Hussein and George Bush.

It doesn't mean nothing is ever wrong. It doesn't mean there is no such thing as crime or should be no such thing as punishment. It just means we have to think differently.

I think Mike Tyson is a good example. (This example is just intended as a starting point and this is not meant as a Mike Tyson thread. The examples are infinite.) Tyson has been dehumanized as a monster or animal millions of times and even uses those labels to describe himself. But, right or wrong, isn't he who he is for a reason?

And-- applying that standard to other people-- isn't everyone?

Mike Tyson rips into host for bringing up rape conviction

Mike Tyson is a terrible human being. He is an animal. That is why he was such a good boxer and such a good entertainer. He did things that not many other boxers have ever done, both good and bad.

Despite being a known convicted rapist and being infamous for biting off part of Evander Holyfield's ear during one of their huge bouts in the 1990's, Tyson is actually quite popular these days.

Softer side is just a lie

Since his retirement, Tyson has managed to carve a career out of reliving the past while remaining calm and collected in interviews and showing his softer, more reflective side.

It looks nice for the audience at home to think that Tyson actually has a softer side, which he does, but only when he is getting his own way.

But the reality of what Tyson has done over the course of his life hit home again on Wednesday. We were treated to a little bit of the old Tyson. A bit of the former Boxing Heavyweight Champion's character that he tries so hard to keep locked away and hidden from the public eye these days. The animal returned.

Heated interview

During an interview this week live on Canadian television, Tyson was interviewed about Toronto Mayor Rob Ford's candidacy for re-election. Ford is well known as a bit of a mad man, and go figure, the mayor hung out with Tyson recently.

The interviewer proceeded to ask Tyson whether or not he thinks that Ford's attempt to get re-elected will be affected by his decision to hang out with a convicted rapist.

As you can imagine, Tyson was not impressed by the interviewer's comments and went mad. He proceeded to call the host a piece of sh** and told him to **ck off." Take a look at the video below for the full interview, but it does come with a WARNING, there's obviously plenty of foul language used by Tyson.

Unacceptable reaction

Granted what the interviewer asked was slightly off topic, but at the end of the day, Tyson was indeed convicted for rape and we should not feel sorry for him.

This resurgence of popularity for Tyson is great for his bank account and reputation as a man that still has something to offer entertainment wise. The Hangover movie franchise definitely saw that in him when they offered him a cameo in their movies.

He offers up the crazy side of life on a plate for us all to trivialise and pretend that there's nothing wrong with what he has done in life.

[URL="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2814981/He-snatched-street-Mike-Tyson-reveals-sexually-abused-child-stranger-Brooklyn.html"]Mike Tyson reveals he was sexually abused as a child
Published November 02, 2014[/URL]

In an interview with Opie Radio this week, Mike Tyson said that at age 7, an older man "bullied me, sexually abused me and stuff ... snatched me off the street." Tyson, 48, claims he ran away and never saw the man again.

Tyson said he never told anyone, including the police, about the abuse.

The former boxing champ never reported the abuse, which he says only happened once. "It's nobody's business to know," he said during the interview.

"I just went on with my life," he said.

When asked by the interviewer whether the event changed him, Tyson answered: "I don't know if it did or not."

He added: "I don't always remember, but maybe I do but I don't. I'm not ashamed or embarrassed by it."

Tyson was doing the interview to promote his new show "Mike Tyson Mysteries."

Born in Cumberland Hospital in Fort Greene, Brooklyn, in 1966, Tyson never really knew his father. The man on his birth certificate, Percel Tyson was a man he never met.

And the man his mother, Lorna Mae, told him was his ‘biological father,’ Jimmy ‘Curlee’ Kirkpatrick Jr was an infrequent presence in both their lives..

By the time Tyson was seven his mother had lost her job as a matron at the Women’s House of Detention in Manhattan, and she and her clutter of children had been evicted.

As a seven year old, small and nimble he began a career of petty crime – clambering in windows of houses through which older boys were too large to fit to steal whatever he could get his hands on.

His early boyhood took on a relentless rhythm of crime sprees, being hauled in by police only to be taken home and brutally beaten by his despairing mother.

By the time he was 12 he was a ‘zonked out zombie’ on Thorazine and a regular attendee of reformatory school, or ‘special-ed crazy school.’ There are not many light spots in the childhood that Tyson recalls. But one that stands out happened during a stint in the Reformatory school of Sporford.

He recalls: ‘We watched a movie called “The Greatest” about Muhammad Ali. When it was over…we were shocked when Ali himself walked out on that stage, ‘ he says. ‘I thought, I want to be that guy.’

He didn’t want to be a boxer. He wanted to be great.

Tyson, nicknamed 'The Baddest Man On The Planet,' was undisputed world heavyweight boxing champion in the 1980s. In 1992, Tyson himself was he was convicted of raping teenage beauty queen Desiree Washington in Indiana and served three years in prison.

He added to his notoriety later in the decade when he bit rival Evander Holyfield on both ears in a 1997 bout, for which he was disqualified and temporarily suspended from boxing. Tyson declared bankruptcy in 2003 and retired from professional boxing in 2006.

Since his retirement, Tyson has appeared in the TV shows Entourage and Brothers, and had a cameo role in the 2009 hit comedy movie The Hangover.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
when tyson says what u gonna do about it juss run...that host lucky that segment was short..tyson had that look in his eyes like he was gonna go full drago

PLEX

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Maybe it's just me, but I'm completely thrown off by the Mike Tyson example. In my personal OPINION, I don't think he raped that woman. The example seems to lean on the warped perception that being found guilty/convicted of a crime somehow equates to actual guilt. With our justice system, nothing could be further from the truth. I would have to see video completely corroborating her account of the incident to ever believe her claim. She was too excited to meet him in the pageant videos. Plus, Johnny Gill wanted to testify (though he wasn't allowed) that Mike told her straight up that he wanted to have sex with her that night, and she replied "okay." This in front of not only Johnny, but a few other pageant contestants. I feel like she was expecting to become his wife or at least his girlfriend, but when she wasn't even invited to stay the night after sex, she was scorned... and hell hath no fury.

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
Maybe it's just me, but I'm completely thrown off by the Mike Tyson example. In my personal OPINION, I don't think he raped that woman. The example seems to lean on the warped perception that being found guilty/convicted of a crime somehow equates to actual guilt. With our justice system, nothing could be further from the truth. I would have to see video completely corroborating her account of the incident to ever believe her claim. She was too excited to meet him in the pageant videos. Plus, Johnny Gill wanted to testify (though he wasn't allowed) that Mike told her straight up that he wanted to have sex with her that night, and she replied "okay." This in front of not only Johnny, but a few other pageant contestants. I feel like she was expecting to become his wife or at least his girlfriend, but when she wasn't even invited to stay the night after sex, she was scorned... and hell hath no fury.
As I said, Tyson has often been labeled an animal or monster... While those charges are definitely a factor, it's only one among many.

hussla's paradice

Chubby Chasing Connoisseur
Registered

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Peoples actions are understandable when you know the context surrounding what happened.

A persons history may give you a picture of what they could be capable of what they have/had potential for but I dont think it can determine there actions in any given situation based on just that history.

The man might be totally different person than he was years ago. If I didn't know his history I could only determine his actions based on how he deals with me right now.

If one day you seen him beating my ass up and down the street you might think Mike hasn't changed a bit. But if you knew before hand that I kicked him in the nuts and spit in his face, you'd better understand why he was beating my ass, not based on his history but on present disrespect I showed him.

shaddyvillethug

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
colin_young.jpg

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
Dude might be slow.

all joking aside?

I SERIOUSLY think its a mental issue

and I hope we don't attach CTE to it.

I wasn’t joking, bruh. Lol.

At this point he may just claim CTE.

Thing is he might CLAIM it..

but I LEGIT think it s VERY possible.

Problem is so MANY receivers took the DIVA thing and ran with it...

I'm prone to agree

Something isn't right.

but then I think that can be REAL problematic

cause from the extreme of Aaron Hernandez to the highly questionable antics of Big Ben?

CTE can be used as a an "excuse".

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
none of us is qualified to connect those dots. We just talking.

Prayers go out with all those who got family and friends suffering from the effects of brain trauma and injury.

But as a society, we connect those dots very frequently. And the conclusion in too many instances is "Lock 'em up and throw away the key." Or get rid of them, in some other fashion.

So many mentally ill people in prison, so many people deprived of education. Victims of molestation and other types of abuse. We're just beginning to scratch the surface in terms of knowledge mental health.

I think we don't just come up short as far as understanding but often we completely fail to make any effort to understand.

"There but for the grace of God go I" is a great phrase. I don't believe in God nor grace but I do believe if people considered the concept more often, we'd be much better off as a society.

How many people need help and receive only condemnation and punishment? We need to apply this to the very worst people in society. It's not easy to do and I know I fail at it. But I wish people would try.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
im-109287

170419064604-03-aaron-hernandez-patriots-09192010-file-exlarge-169.jpg

Aaron Hernandez was beaten and sexually abused as a child, 'Spotlight' team reports
By Eric Levenson, CNN
October 18, 2018

Former NFL star and convicted murderer Aaron Hernandez was often beaten by his father, told people close to him that he was sexually molested as a boy, and had a sexual relationship with his high school quarterback, according to an explosive report from the Boston Globe's acclaimed Spotlight team. Those are among the new details in the in-depth investigative series, which also reports that Hernandez struggled with his sexual identity until his suicide in April 2017 at age 27.

The reporting is based on scores of interviews, thousands of court and government records, and recordings of nearly 300 jailhouse phone calls between Hernandez and others, the Globe writes. The Spotlight series consists of 6 stories which have run each day since October 14. The first story examined Hernandez's troubled childhood, while the second put a lens up to his time at the University of Florida. Other parts focused on his time with the New England Patriots, his role in three murder cases, his time in prison, and his brain damage from repeated hits to the head. The ultimate goal of the series is to try to explain the lasting, and perhaps unanswerable, question about Hernandez: Why?

Why did a talented football star with a $40 million contract kill Odin Lloyd in June 2013? Why did he kill himself in prison just days after he had been acquitted in a separate double murder trial? The first two parts put forward several details that may have played a role in shaping his early life.

His father beat him

In interviews with people who knew the Hernandez family in their hometown of Bristol, Connecticut, Hernandez's father, Dennis Hernandez, has long been held up as the well-respected anchor of the family. He was a high school sports star in the town and closely raised Aaron and his older brother Jonathan to follow in his footsteps. "His father was pretty strict," Sheriff Thomas Hodgson of Bristol County told CNN in 2015. "I mean, he told me his father used to make him -- to shoot 500 shots before he went, sometimes to play with his friends. His dad clearly kept them anchored."

Dennis Hernandez died in 2006 of an infection contracted during hernia surgery, a tragic loss for Hernandez that has sometimes been cited as a key moment in his eventual downfall. Author James Patterson, who wrote a best-selling book on Hernandez, told CNN that if Hernandez's father hadn't died, he would have kept his son away from some troubled people in Bristol.

However, the Globe reports that Dennis Hernandez was an abusive father who often severely beat his children, according to Jonathan Hernandez, whose upcoming memoir, "The Truth About Aaron," comes out this month. Jonathan Hernandez said that he once threatened to call the police about the abuse, but didn't follow through.

"I picked up the phone once to call, to seek help," he told the Globe. "And his response was, 'Call them.' And he handed me the phone, and he said, 'I'm going to beat you even harder, you and your brother, and they're going to have to pull me off of you when they knock down the door.'" Rachel Elinsky of HarperCollins, the company publishing his memoir, said Jonathan Hernandez is not doing interviews until the book's publication date of October 30. CNN was not able to reach Terri Hernandez, Aaron's mother.

Jeff Morgan, a former assistant football coach at Bristol Central, Hernandez's high school, told the Globe that he wondered if his father went too far after Hernandez got in trouble for drinking before a school dance. "Then, the next time we saw him, he looked like I guess his father did discipline him some," he told the Globe. "He had a black eye. I'm assuming that's where that came from.'' Morgan declined to comment for this story.

Hernandez was sexually molested

Though the details are few, Aaron Hernandez disclosed as an adult that he had been sexually molested as a young boy, Jonathan Hernandez told the Globe. He declined to say more about it or identify the person responsible. George Leontire, one of Hernandez's attorneys, also said Hernandez had spoken to him of sexual abuse as a child, the Globe reports.

"He had been molested fairly intensely as a very young kid," Leontire told the Globe. Leontire also recalled that Hernandez seemed to think the abuse had made him gay, the Globe wrote.

In a short interview with CNN, Leontire said he did not take issue with anything in the Globe's reporting. "There was nothing I was surprised about," he said. "There was nothing I disagree with."

Hernandez struggled with his sexuality

The Spotlight team also reported that Hernandez had a sexual relationship with a man, an oft-rumored theory that has been tabloid fodder for years.

Hernandez's high school quarterback, Dennis SanSoucie, told the Globe that they had an intermittent sexual relationship that began in middle school and continued through high school. It was the first time SanSoucie had spoken to a media outlet about their relationship. "Me and him were very much into trying to hide what we were doing. We didn't want people to know," SanSoucie said. SanSoucie said he came out after Hernandez's suicide and believes his former teammate would be proud of him for acknowledging their past. "I really truly feel in my heart I got the thumbs-up from him," he told the Globe.

Jonathan Hernandez said that his father was not accepting of any behavior he viewed as unmanly, including when Aaron was young. "I remember (Aaron) wanted to be a cheerleader. My cousins were cheerleaders and amazing," Jonathan told the Globe. "And I remember coming home and like my dad put an end to that really quick. And it was not OK. My dad made it clear that ... he had his definition of a man."

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
There is an old story about a reporter that followed a set of twins when they were kids. 20 years later he followed up to see what became of them.

The first was an unemployed alcoholic that had been jailed multiple times for domestic violence. When asked why he replied "I grew up seeing my dad get drunk and beat on my mother. Why would I turn out any other way?"

The second twin had a great job, successful marriage, a spotless criminal record and didn't drink at all. When asked why he replied "I grew up seeing my dad get drunk and beat on my mother. Why would I turn out any other way?"

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
There is an old story about a reporter that followed a set of twins when they were kids. 20 years later he followed up to see what became of them.

The first was an unemployed alcoholic that had been jailed multiple times for domestic violence. When asked why he replied "I grew up seeing my dad get drunk and beat on my mother. Why would I turn out any other way?"

The second twin had a great job, successful marriage, a spotless criminal record and didn't drink at all. When asked why he replied "I grew up seeing my dad get drunk and beat on my mother. Why would I turn out any other way?"

Yeah, fictional accounts can be ridiculously simple. That was your point with that old wive's tale, right?

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
Yeah, fictional accounts can be ridiculously simple. That was your point with that old wive's tale, right?

old wives tale? Like you and every other person on this planet hasn't seen this exact same scenario play out at least a hundred times?

But then again let's suppose it is an old wives tale with no basis in reality. By that logic any child is born into an abusive situation or to unfit parents should be killed otherwise they'll just grow up to be a problem for the rest of the world. Right?

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
old wives tale? Like you and every other person on this planet hasn't seen this exact same scenario play out at least a hundred times?

But then again let's suppose it is an old wives tale with no basis in reality. By that logic any child is born into an abusive situation or to unfit parents should be killed otherwise they'll just grow up to be a problem for the rest of the world. Right?

That's a very poor reading of the logic. The point is not that people are doomed or pre-destined to be criminals. The point is that the deck is stacked against some people and society should try to help the disadvantaged rather than destroy them.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
MAGA hat-hiding Tom Brady can be pretty woke, at least when being more understanding has the side benefit of him not being deprived of playing with one of the best wide receivers in the world.

Whatever you want to say about him or his motives, he's right about this.

Patriots QB Brady hints WR Brown needed more support
SEPTEMBER 23, 2019

Tom Brady declined to share specific personal feelings about the New England Patriots releasing wide receiver Antonio Brown, but hinted the team could have done more to support his teammate of a mere 11 days.

“Everyone needs something a little bit different. Everybody’s upbringing was a little bit different. Everybody’s emotional states are different,” Brady said Monday in a radio interview on WEEI in Boston. “How do you contribute — whether someone is hurting physically, mentally, emotionally — how do you provide to them what they may need in order to support them to help us all grow and evolve. Not only as individuals. Not only as members of the team. Not only as members of the family. Not only as members of a community.

“But everybody has different challenges. I think you recognize those challenges, try to provide them as best as possible, and go to bed at night trying to do the best you can do. If things don’t work as you hoped, then absolutely when you put your heart on the line, there’s emotions that come up. A lot of things are not always in our control. But you wake up the next day and try to find hope and optimism.”

Brown was released Friday, likely losing his $9 million signing bonus, and became a free agent for the second time in 13 days. Agent Drew Rosenhaus claimed Sunday morning that teams have reached out regarding Brown. But Brown said via social media he’s done with the NFL, criticizing Patriots owner Robert Kraft on his way out of Boston.

NFL teams are also going to be looking for clarity on Brown’s availability. The league investigation into sexual assault claims against Brown by his former trainer is active, and he could be a candidate for the Commissioner’s Exempt List if signed.

“I do have a lot of personal feelings — none of which I really care to share,” Brady said of the move.

“I’ve had a lot of teammates over the years, so you invest — not just your head, but your heart. You invest your soul. That’s what makes a great team. That’s what makes a great brotherhood. So I think in the end, the endearing trait about sports for me is the relationships I get to build, because they’re very meaningful. That’s at the heart, I think, philosophically, (of) my life. It’s really about great relationships and seeing guys from all different backgrounds. I think it brings all of us together in so many ways.”

Brady did offer insight into his thoughts on the matter and how the Brown situation is reflective of today’s culture.

“It’s so easy for us to blame and shame because everyone has a voice now,” he said. “A lot of them can just be nameless, faceless comments that are very difficult for people. You love too much, that’s a problem. You hate too much, that’s a problem. You win too much, that’s a problem. You lose too much, that’s a problem. Everything ends up being a problem. So you just have to focus on, look at yourself, and ‘What do I believe in? What are my beliefs?’ I’m responsible for my own beliefs. I’m responsible for my own actions. And I’m going to do the best I can do to contribute in the best way possible. I’m not going to add on. I’m not going to be a part of this culture that can become very negative, can become very blaming, very much point fingers.”

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
Not asking if it is justifiable, but are all actions understandable with a full knowledge of someone's history?

Whether it comes down to environment or genetics, I suspect the answer is yes.

Formally stated, Newton's third law is: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

I would apply this principle to the biggest "monsters" in history. From Hitler and bin Laden to Jon Benet Ramsey's parents and every abusive Catholic priest. From Caligula and the Koch brothers to every slave owner and slave trader back to Saddam Hussein and George Bush.

It doesn't mean nothing is ever wrong. It doesn't mean there is no such thing as crime or should be no such thing as punishment. It just means we have to think differently.

I think Mike Tyson is a good example. (This example is just intended as a starting point and this is not meant as a Mike Tyson thread. The examples are infinite.) Tyson has been dehumanized as a monster or animal millions of times and even uses those labels to describe himself. But, right or wrong, isn't he who he is for a reason?

And-- applying that standard to other people-- isn't everyone?

Mike Tyson rips into host for bringing up rape conviction

Mike Tyson is a terrible human being. He is an animal. That is why he was such a good boxer and such a good entertainer. He did things that not many other boxers have ever done, both good and bad.

Despite being a known convicted rapist and being infamous for biting off part of Evander Holyfield's ear during one of their huge bouts in the 1990's, Tyson is actually quite popular these days.

Softer side is just a lie
Since his retirement, Tyson has managed to carve a career out of reliving the past while remaining calm and collected in interviews and showing his softer, more reflective side.

It looks nice for the audience at home to think that Tyson actually has a softer side, which he does, but only when he is getting his own way.

But the reality of what Tyson has done over the course of his life hit home again on Wednesday. We were treated to a little bit of the old Tyson. A bit of the former Boxing Heavyweight Champion's character that he tries so hard to keep locked away and hidden from the public eye these days. The animal returned.

Heated interview
During an interview this week live on Canadian television, Tyson was interviewed about Toronto Mayor Rob Ford's candidacy for re-election. Ford is well known as a bit of a mad man, and go figure, the mayor hung out with Tyson recently.

The interviewer proceeded to ask Tyson whether or not he thinks that Ford's attempt to get re-elected will be affected by his decision to hang out with a convicted rapist.

As you can imagine, Tyson was not impressed by the interviewer's comments and went mad. He proceeded to call the host a piece of sh** and told him to **ck off." Take a look at the video below for the full interview, but it does come with a WARNING, there's obviously plenty of foul language used by Tyson.

Unacceptable reaction

Granted what the interviewer asked was slightly off topic, but at the end of the day, Tyson was indeed convicted for rape and we should not feel sorry for him.

This resurgence of popularity for Tyson is great for his bank account and reputation as a man that still has something to offer entertainment wise. The Hangover movie franchise definitely saw that in him when they offered him a cameo in their movies.

He offers up the crazy side of life on a plate for us all to trivialise and pretend that there's nothing wrong with what he has done in life.

Mike Tyson reveals he was sexually abused as a child
Published November 02, 2014

In an interview with Opie Radio this week, Mike Tyson said that at age 7, an older man "bullied me, sexually abused me and stuff ... snatched me off the street." Tyson, 48, claims he ran away and never saw the man again.

Tyson said he never told anyone, including the police, about the abuse.

The former boxing champ never reported the abuse, which he says only happened once. "It's nobody's business to know," he said during the interview.

"I just went on with my life," he said.

When asked by the interviewer whether the event changed him, Tyson answered: "I don't know if it did or not."

He added: "I don't always remember, but maybe I do but I don't. I'm not ashamed or embarrassed by it."

Tyson was doing the interview to promote his new show "Mike Tyson Mysteries."

Born in Cumberland Hospital in Fort Greene, Brooklyn, in 1966, Tyson never really knew his father. The man on his birth certificate, Percel Tyson was a man he never met.

And the man his mother, Lorna Mae, told him was his ‘biological father,’ Jimmy ‘Curlee’ Kirkpatrick Jr was an infrequent presence in both their lives..

By the time Tyson was seven his mother had lost her job as a matron at the Women’s House of Detention in Manhattan, and she and her clutter of children had been evicted.

As a seven year old, small and nimble he began a career of petty crime – clambering in windows of houses through which older boys were too large to fit to steal whatever he could get his hands on.

His early boyhood took on a relentless rhythm of crime sprees, being hauled in by police only to be taken home and brutally beaten by his despairing mother.

By the time he was 12 he was a ‘zonked out zombie’ on Thorazine and a regular attendee of reformatory school, or ‘special-ed crazy school.’ There are not many light spots in the childhood that Tyson recalls. But one that stands out happened during a stint in the Reformatory school of Sporford.

He recalls: ‘We watched a movie called “The Greatest” about Muhammad Ali. When it was over…we were shocked when Ali himself walked out on that stage, ‘ he says. ‘I thought, I want to be that guy.’

He didn’t want to be a boxer. He wanted to be great.

Tyson, nicknamed 'The Baddest Man On The Planet,' was undisputed world heavyweight boxing champion in the 1980s. In 1992, Tyson himself was he was convicted of raping teenage beauty queen Desiree Washington in Indiana and served three years in prison.

He added to his notoriety later in the decade when he bit rival Evander Holyfield on both ears in a 1997 bout, for which he was disqualified and temporarily suspended from boxing. Tyson declared bankruptcy in 2003 and retired from professional boxing in 2006.

Since his retirement, Tyson has appeared in the TV shows Entourage and Brothers, and had a cameo role in the 2009 hit comedy movie The Hangover.

"Is every action understandable when you know the back story?"

obviously no .... everyone doesn't handle a situation the same way .... that's fully obvious by the numerous different replies in any thread here ..... waste of a thread post ...

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
"Is every action understandable when you know the back story?"

obviously no .... everyone doesn't handle a situation the same way .... that's fully obvious by the numerous different replies in any thread here ..... waste of a thread post ...

What is understandable is not always understood.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
That's a very poor reading of the logic. The point is not that people are doomed or pre-destined to be criminals. The point is that the deck is stacked against some people and society should try to help the disadvantaged rather than destroy them.

My point was that while a person's upbringing or circumstances might predict what they're likely to do their actions are still up to them.

My ex-wife grew up in a family with drug abuse and domestic violence. Her mom was one of the best paper hustlers in East Oakland. She a became a violent alcoholic. Her younger sister became a violent alcoholic who's in and out of jail.

Her older sister rarely drinks, earned an MFT from UC Davis, and now runs a drug rehab center near Lake Merritt. She's never had so much as a speeding ticket.

Three sisters, same upbringing, but one took something completely different from it than the other two did.

If we're going to do anything we need to figure out what made her different and how to encourage that mindset in others going through similar issues.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
My point was that while a person's upbringing or circumstances might predict what they're likely to do their actions are still up to them.

My ex-wife grew up in a family with drug abuse and domestic violence. Her mom was one of the best paper hustlers in East Oakland. She a became a violent alcoholic. Her younger sister became a violent alcoholic who's in and out of jail.

Her older sister rarely drinks, earned an MFT from UC Davis, and now runs a drug rehab center near Lake Merritt. She's never had so much as a speeding ticket.

Three sisters, same upbringing, but one took something completely different from it than the other two did.

If we're going to do anything we need to figure out what made her different and how to encourage that mindset in others going through similar issues.

How do you know it is a matter of mindset? Perhaps the circumstances of that pregnancy were different. Perhaps there were environmental factors. Simply being siblings does not mean people had identical upbringings. It's not a good example. You know for a fact that the youngest sister has the exact same mental faculties, that she did not suffer from a brain tumor that the others didn't? Are you positive that the woman you hold up as a bad apple wasn't raped as a child where the others (at least, so far as your description might be read to suggest) were not?

You don't. Yet you judge as if you do.

THE ILLUSION OF FREE WILL

The question of free will touches nearly everything we care about. Morality, law, politics, religion, public policy, intimate relationships, feelings of guilt and personal accomplishment—most of what is distinctly human about our lives seems to depend upon our viewing one another as autonomous persons, capable of free choice. If the scientific community were to declare free will an illusion, it would precipitate a culture war far more belligerent than the one that has been waged on the subject of evolution. Without free will, sinners and criminals would be nothing more than poorly calibrated clockwork, and any conception of justice that emphasized punishing them (rather than deterring, rehabilitating, or merely containing them) would appear utterly incongruous. And those of us who work hard and follow the rules would not “deserve” our success in any deep sense. It is not an accident that most people find these conclusions abhorrent. The stakes are high.

In the early morning of July 23, 2007, Steven Hayes and Joshua Komisarjevsky, two career criminals, arrived at the home of Dr. William and Jennifer Petit in Cheshire, a quiet town in central Connecticut. They found Dr. Petit asleep on a sofa in the sunroom. According to his taped confession, Komisarjevsky stood over the sleeping man for some minutes, hesitating, before striking him in the head with a baseball bat. He claimed that his victim’s screams then triggered something within him, and he bludgeoned Petit with all his strength until he fell silent.

The two then bound Petit’s hands and feet and went upstairs to search the rest of the house. They discovered Jennifer Petit and her daughters—Hayley, 17, and Michaela, 11—still asleep. They woke all three and immediately tied them to their beds.

At 7:00 a.m., Hayes went to a gas station and bought four gallons of gasoline. At 9:30, he drove Jennifer Petit to her bank to withdraw $15,000 in cash. The conversation between Jennifer and the bank teller suggests that she was unaware of her husband’s injuries and believed that her captors would release her family unharmed.

While Hayes and the girls’ mother were away, Komisarjevsky amused himself by taking naked photos of Michaela with his cell phone and masturbating on her. When Hayes returned with Jennifer, the two men divided up the money and briefly considered what they should do. They decided that Hayes should take Jennifer into the living room and rape her—which he did. He then strangled her, to the apparent surprise of his partner.

At this point, the two men noticed that William Petit had slipped his bonds and escaped. They began to panic. They quickly doused the house with gasoline and set it on fire. When asked by the police why he hadn’t untied the two girls from their beds before lighting the blaze, Komisarjevsky said, “It just didn’t cross my mind.” The girls died of smoke inhalation. William Petit was the only survivor of the attack.

Upon hearing about crimes of this kind, most of us naturally feel that men like Hayes and Komisarjevsky should be held morally responsible for their actions. Had we been close to the Petit family, many of us would feel entirely justified in killing these monsters with our own hands. Do we care that Hayes has since shown signs of remorse and has attempted suicide? Not really. What about the fact that Komisarjevsky was repeatedly raped as a child? According to his journals, for as long as he can remember, he has known that he was “different” from other people, psychologically damaged, and capable of great coldness. He also claims to have been stunned by his own behavior in the Petit home: He was a career burglar, not a murderer, and he had not consciously intended to kill anyone. Such details might begin to give us pause.

Whether criminals like Hayes and Komisarjevsky can be trusted to honestly report their feelings and intentions is not the point: Whatever their conscious motives, these men cannot know why they are as they are. Nor can we account for why we are not like them. As sickening as I find their behavior, I have to admit that if I were to trade places with one of these men, atom for atom, I would be him: There is no extra part of me that could decide to see the world differently or to resist the impulse to victimize other people. Even if you believe that every human being harbors an immortal soul, the problem of responsibility remains: I cannot take credit for the fact that I do not have the soul of a psychopath. If I had truly been in Komisarjevsky’s shoes on July 23, 2007—that is, if I had his genes and life experience and an identical brain (or soul) in an identical state—I would have acted exactly as he did. There is simply no intellectually respectable position from which to deny this. The role of luck, therefore, appears decisive.

Of course, if we learned that both these men had been suffering from brain tumors that explained their violent behavior, our moral intuitions would shift dramatically. But a neurological disorder appears to be just a special case of physical events giving rise to thoughts and actions. Understanding the neurophysiology of the brain, therefore, would seem to be as exculpatory as finding a tumor in it.

How can we make sense of our lives, and hold people accountable for their choices, given the unconscious origins of our conscious minds?

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
How do you know it is a matter of mindset? Perhaps the circumstances of that pregnancy were different. Perhaps there were environmental factors. Simply being siblings does not mean people had identical upbringings. It's not a good example. You know for a fact that the youngest sister has the exact same mental faculties, that she did not suffer from a brain tumor that the others didn't? Are you positive that the woman you hold up as a bad apple wasn't raped as a child where the others (at least, so far as your description might be read to suggest) were not?

You don't. Yet you judge as if you do.

THE ILLUSION OF FREE WILL

The question of free will touches nearly everything we care about. Morality, law, politics, religion, public policy, intimate relationships, feelings of guilt and personal accomplishment—most of what is distinctly human about our lives seems to depend upon our viewing one another as autonomous persons, capable of free choice. If the scientific community were to declare free will an illusion, it would precipitate a culture war far more belligerent than the one that has been waged on the subject of evolution. Without free will, sinners and criminals would be nothing more than poorly calibrated clockwork, and any conception of justice that emphasized punishing them (rather than deterring, rehabilitating, or merely containing them) would appear utterly incongruous. And those of us who work hard and follow the rules would not “deserve” our success in any deep sense. It is not an accident that most people find these conclusions abhorrent. The stakes are high.

In the early morning of July 23, 2007, Steven Hayes and Joshua Komisarjevsky, two career criminals, arrived at the home of Dr. William and Jennifer Petit in Cheshire, a quiet town in central Connecticut. They found Dr. Petit asleep on a sofa in the sunroom. According to his taped confession, Komisarjevsky stood over the sleeping man for some minutes, hesitating, before striking him in the head with a baseball bat. He claimed that his victim’s screams then triggered something within him, and he bludgeoned Petit with all his strength until he fell silent.

The two then bound Petit’s hands and feet and went upstairs to search the rest of the house. They discovered Jennifer Petit and her daughters—Hayley, 17, and Michaela, 11—still asleep. They woke all three and immediately tied them to their beds.

At 7:00 a.m., Hayes went to a gas station and bought four gallons of gasoline. At 9:30, he drove Jennifer Petit to her bank to withdraw $15,000 in cash. The conversation between Jennifer and the bank teller suggests that she was unaware of her husband’s injuries and believed that her captors would release her family unharmed.

While Hayes and the girls’ mother were away, Komisarjevsky amused himself by taking naked photos of Michaela with his cell phone and masturbating on her. When Hayes returned with Jennifer, the two men divided up the money and briefly considered what they should do. They decided that Hayes should take Jennifer into the living room and rape her—which he did. He then strangled her, to the apparent surprise of his partner.

At this point, the two men noticed that William Petit had slipped his bonds and escaped. They began to panic. They quickly doused the house with gasoline and set it on fire. When asked by the police why he hadn’t untied the two girls from their beds before lighting the blaze, Komisarjevsky said, “It just didn’t cross my mind.” The girls died of smoke inhalation. William Petit was the only survivor of the attack.

Upon hearing about crimes of this kind, most of us naturally feel that men like Hayes and Komisarjevsky should be held morally responsible for their actions. Had we been close to the Petit family, many of us would feel entirely justified in killing these monsters with our own hands. Do we care that Hayes has since shown signs of remorse and has attempted suicide? Not really. What about the fact that Komisarjevsky was repeatedly raped as a child? According to his journals, for as long as he can remember, he has known that he was “different” from other people, psychologically damaged, and capable of great coldness. He also claims to have been stunned by his own behavior in the Petit home: He was a career burglar, not a murderer, and he had not consciously intended to kill anyone. Such details might begin to give us pause.

Whether criminals like Hayes and Komisarjevsky can be trusted to honestly report their feelings and intentions is not the point: Whatever their conscious motives, these men cannot know why they are as they are. Nor can we account for why we are not like them. As sickening as I find their behavior, I have to admit that if I were to trade places with one of these men, atom for atom, I would be him: There is no extra part of me that could decide to see the world differently or to resist the impulse to victimize other people. Even if you believe that every human being harbors an immortal soul, the problem of responsibility remains: I cannot take credit for the fact that I do not have the soul of a psychopath. If I had truly been in Komisarjevsky’s shoes on July 23, 2007—that is, if I had his genes and life experience and an identical brain (or soul) in an identical state—I would have acted exactly as he did. There is simply no intellectually respectable position from which to deny this. The role of luck, therefore, appears decisive.

Of course, if we learned that both these men had been suffering from brain tumors that explained their violent behavior, our moral intuitions would shift dramatically. But a neurological disorder appears to be just a special case of physical events giving rise to thoughts and actions. Understanding the neurophysiology of the brain, therefore, would seem to be as exculpatory as finding a tumor in it.

How can we make sense of our lives, and hold people accountable for their choices, given the unconscious origins of our conscious minds?

i do know that her younger sister never displayed any of the symptoms of a brain tumor during the 4 years I knew her and is still very much alive today.That makes a brain tumor unlikely. As harmful as her actions were, at least they were consistent. I have no way to know if she was ever raped as a child, but I know for a fact that Oprah was and still managed to become one of the most successful media moguls that ever lived.

As far as judging people goes all I care is that a person's destructive behaviors don't destroy me. I work around them if possible and avoid them completely if necessary. On the other hand, I'll also turn to them for guidance, encouragement or assistance whenever it's of benefit. If I get less of the former and more of the latter that person becomes a friend.

At the the end of the day there's no such thing as good or bad people.