Incarcerated No Limit rapper McKinley "Mac" Phipps may get new trial

spider705

Light skin, non ADOS Lebron hater!
BGOL Investor
This has been blowing up like crazy. If it's a repost MY BAD.

But more and more facts are coming out about his case, and it seems that he got railroaded by the DA. it's only coming out because the DA that tried Mac recently retired.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6612074

Fourteen years after rapper McKinley "Mac" Phipps was convicted of manslaughter in the shooting death of a teenage fan at a show, five prosecution witnesses have told The Huffington Post that police and prosecutors bullied them into fingering the once-promising hip-hop artist as the gunman.

The star witness, Yulon James, who testified she saw Phipps fire the fatal shot, said she was repeatedly threatened by the parish district attorney's office, headed by DA Walter Reed, who left office in January*amid a reported federal grand jury investigation*into campaign funds and side businesses.

"They stalked my house, they stalked my job and they stalked my family," said James, who now acknowledges she "didn't see anything" and testified falsely against Phipps. "The DA came over to my parents' house and told me I would have my baby in prison if I didn't testify."

Reed's office has not responded to calls and emails from The Huffington Post, nor has his attorney, Richard T. Simmons. The St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office declined to comment.

James said she came forward with the story because Reed is no longer in power. Reed's 30-year run as DA ended this year after he decided not to seek a seventh term amid the ongoing investigation. There has been no indication that the probe involves cases his office prosecuted.

In a four-month review of Phipps' conviction, The Huffington Post identified four other witnesses -- former nightclub owner Dwight Guyot, the victim's cousin Jerry Price, Phipps' cousin Larnell Warren and club-goer Jamie Wilson -- who said they were threatened, jailed or flat-out ignored by authorities. The claims, along with James' recantation, appear to cast doubt on Phipps' conviction.*

'Murda, Murda, Kill, Kill'

On Feb. 21, 2000, Phipps was performing at Club Mercedes in Slidell, Louisiana. A fight broke out and at least one shot was fired. A fan, Barron Victor Jr., 19, fell dead.

James, then a 24-year-old nursing student, had gone to the club that evening with friends.

Phipps, 22, was a rising star in the New Orleans area.*Master P*had signed him to*No Limit Records, alongside Snoop Dogg and Mystikal. He was known as "Mac the Camouflage Assassin," and had recently released "World War III," featuring cuts such as "Assassin Nation," "Genocide" and "War Party." He had planned to leave No Limit to start his own label -- Camouflage Entertainment.

“He [was] definitely one of the smartest, most intelligent lyrical wizards over there" at No Limit, Michael Render, the rapper better known as Killer Mike, told HuffPost.

Investigators said witnesses told them they saw Phipps with a gun. He was arrested hours after the killing. The following year, he was convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to 30 years in prison.

The murder weapon was never found and no forensic evidence tied Phipps to the crime. Still, the prosecutor portrayed Phipps as a gangsta rapper who was as brutal as some of the imagery in his lyrics, quoting generously from "Murda, Murda, Kill, Kill," a top cut from "Shell Shocked," his first No Limit album.

"This defendant who did this is the same defendant whose message is, 'Murder murder, kill, kill, you f--k with me you get a bullet in your brain," assistant district attorney Bruce Dearing told jurors in his closing argument. "You don't have to be a genius to figure out that one plus one equals two."

Jurors didn't know the prosecutor had selectively grabbed quotes from different songs, juxtaposing lyrics in a way Phipps never intended. Phipps maintains he was rapping about his Vietnam veteran father in "Shell Shocked" with the line: "Big Mac, that's my daddy, rotten dirty straight up soldier … Ya f--k with me, he'll give you a bullet in yo brain."

Phipps' song never said, as the prosecutor told the jury, "you f--k with me you get a bullet in your brain." And the line "Murder, murder, kill, kill," is from a different song.

Dearing declined to comment on the case.*

I'm just here so I don't get fined

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
Thought this cat was never gettin out. If he does Id love to hear some new music. I was a huge fan of that Shell Shocked CD.

"Whoooooooooooaaa!!!" :cool:

spider705

BGOL Investor
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6928582

Bullied Eyewitnesses Blast Rapper's Wrongful Conviction, Join Family In Plea For New Trial

David*Lohr*[http://s]

Posted: 03/24/15 03:48 PM ET*Updated: 03/24/15 08:59 PM ET

HAMMOND, La. -- In 2001, they say, they were bullied into silence or forced to lie in court to help prosecutors wrongfully convict a 22-year-old rap artist of shooting a fan. Now, they will no longer keep silent.

Five eyewitnesses -- including the prosecution's star witness -- have signed affidavits to swear they didn't see McKinley "Mac" Phipps Jr. shoot a young fan. The witnesses claim in the documents, which have been assembled by Phipps' attorney, that authorities intimidated them into falsely testifying, kept them from sharing their version of events or simply ignored them.

Phipps, who was convicted in 2001 on a manslaughter charge, is serving a 30-year prison term.

"He didn't do it," said Jamie Wilson. "He was standing right next to me when it happened. He didn't shoot."

Wilson was 19 years old on the night of Feb. 21, 2000, when Barron Victor Jr., also 19, was gunned down at Club Mercedes in Slidell, Louisiana. She is certain the singer then known as "Mac The Camouflage Assassin" did not commit the crime.

Phipps was convicted in September 2001 by an all-white jury, despite a lack of physical evidence and conflicting witness accounts.

The witnesses who signed affidavits said they were only willing to come forward now because former District Attorney Walter Reed, who led the prosecution, is no longer in power. After nearly 30 years, Reed decided to not seek re-election amid a reported federal grand jury investigation into campaign funds and side businesses. He left office in January.

Phipps' family is hoping the affidavits, along with Reed's departure, will get the musician a new trial. They point to a*Huffington Post investigative report*last week, in which all five of the eyewitnesses claim they were threatened, intimidated or outright ignored by investigators.

Wilson said Monday that she told police 15 years ago that she witnessed the shooting -- and that Phipps was not the triggerman. She stands by that story now.

According to Wilson, police were not interested in what she had to say after the shooting.

"They treated me like they wished I wasn't there," Wilson said. "They made me feel like I was telling a story different from the one they wanted me to tell."

spider705

BGOL Investor
Killer Mike weighs in

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6944404

NEW ORLEANS -- Rap musician Michael Render, better known as Killer Mike, stood up for jailed recording artist McKinley "Mac" Phipps on Wednesday, telling Dillard University students that a prosecutor's twisting of Phipps' lyrics during his manslaughter trial threatens everyone's free speech.

"If we let this stand, what you're going to see is that tool is going to be used to wipe out an entire potential generation of [artists] out of our community," Killer Mike told students of the historically black college in Cook Auditorium.

"It becomes a danger to you ... because it just becomes another tool that prosecutors can now use to ... strip you of your freedom of speech, which is guaranteed to every American," Killer Mike said. "So we must stand with artists like Mac."

Phipps, serving 30 years for manslaughter in the Feb. 21, 2000, shooting death of a fan at a concert in nearby St. Tammany Parish, was convicted by a jury that heard from an eyewitness who now says she lied when she fingered him as the gunman because of prosecutors' threats to charge her, and a prosecutor who misleadingly spliced together lyrics from two Phipps songs, according to a*four-month Huffington Post review of Phipps’ convictionpublished last week. Four other witnesses to the shooting told HuffPost they also were threatened, intimidated or outright ignored by investigators.

The witnesses in recent days*have signed sworn affidavits,*which Phipps' lawyer plans to use to ask for a new trial.

Killer Mike, who was invited to the Dillard campus by university President Walter Kimbrough to discuss hip-hop ethical behavior and community relations, devoted a significant portion of his lecture to Phipps' case.

"I was a diehard No Limit fan," Killer Mike said, referring to Phipps' recording label. "Mac had some jamming records, seemed like a great guy and all of a sudden he was locked up and convicted of murder and it turns out that at that time many of us fans had heard Mac was not guilty and was essentially being framed."

In the late '90s, Phipps was a young hip-hop artist known as "Mac the Camouflage Assassin." Master P had signed him to No Limit Records, alongside Snoop Dogg and Mystikal. He was a member of the 504 Boyz, and their 2000 album, "Goodfellas," went gold, reaching No. 2 on the Billboard 200.

In 2000, when Phipps was 22, he was swept up in the investigation of 19-year-old Barron Victor Jr.'s killing. He was sentenced to 30 years in prison.

Brother Blues

Deceased - Nov. 4, 2015
BGOL Legend
And when all this is found to be true,that he was railroaded...

The low-life pigs who did this,will just say oh well....walk away and do it to someone else.

There is never anything done to the people who do this,who are worse than the supposed criminals they are locking up.

The former DA should be tarred and feathered...

dHustla

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

The low-life pigs who did this,will just say oh well....walk away and do it to someone else.

There is never anything done to the people who do this,who are worse than the supposed criminals they are locking up.

:yes::smh::angry:

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Pretty much, without consequences shit won't change