Illinois Governor Arrested & Convicted on Corruption; TRUMP RELEASES

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Illinois Governor Suspends Business With Bank Of America

source: Huffington Post

llinois Governor Rod Blagojevich announced Monday that he is asking all Illinois government agencies to suspend business with Bank of America. Blagojevich contended that Bank Of America received a multi-billion dollar bailout from the government and should accordingly restore credit to the Republic Windows & Doors company in Chicago

About 200 workers have been staging a sit-in on the factory floor of their former Chicago employer since Friday to protest abruptly losing their jobs.

About 60 workers were at the plant this morning. They are occupying the building in eight-hour shifts.

The workers are demanding severance and vacation pay. They have attracted media attention and become a national symbol for thousands of employees laid off nationwide as the economy continues to sour.

Illinois Atty. Gen. Lisa Madigan said Sunday her office is investigating the company.

President-elect Barack Obama said during a news conference Sunday that the company should follow through on its commitments to the workers.

Leaders say they've been trying to get Republic's creditor, Bank of America, to reinstate the company's line of credit and save hundreds of jobs.

The bank has said it isn't responsible for Republic's financial obligations to its employees.

Rep. Luis Gutierrez, who said the meeting would be held this afternoon, said the workers under federal law are entitled to 60 days' pay in the event of a shutdown.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich
arrested on federal charges

43789308.jpg

Gov. Rod Blagojevich arrives at the Tribune Tower on Monday for an interview at
CNN's Chicago office. (Tribune photo by Nancy Stone / December 8, 2008

Chicago Tribune
By Jeff Coen and Rick Pearson
Tribune staff reports
December 9, 2008

Gov. Rod Blagojevich and his chief of staff, John Harris, were arrested today by FBI agents for what U.S. Atty. Patrick Fitzgerald called a "staggering" level of corruption involving pay-to-play politics in Illinois' top office.

Blagojevich is accused of a wide-ranging criminal conspiracy, including alleged attempts by the governor to try to sell or trade the U.S. Senate seat left vacant by President-elect Barack Obama in exchange for financial benefits for the governor and his wife. Blagojevich also is accused of obtaining campaign contributions in exchange for other official actions.

Blagojevich was taken into federal custody at his North Side home this morning--one day shy of his 52nd birthday.

At a news conference late this morning, Fitzgerald said Blagojevich "has taken us to a truly new low" and went on "a political corruption crime spree. We acted to stop that crime spree."

Fitzgerald also accused Blagojevich of attempting "to sell the U.S. Senate seat" that President-elect Barack Obama vacated. Robert Grant, FBI special agent in charge of the Chicago office, said the arrest of Blagojevich should serve as notice that "business as usual will no longer be tolerated. That selling your office for personal gain is a thing of the past."

Lt. Gov. Pat Quinn today called on Blagojevich to step aside, at least temporarily, because the governor is "seriously impeded from carrying out his oath of office."

"I think that should certainly be considered by the governor today. I think he knows what he needs to do for the people," Quinn said at a news conference this afternoon.

Quinn would assume control of the governor's office if Blagojevich were to step aside under the Illinois Constitution.

Obama told reporters he was "saddened and sobered" by Blagojevich's arrest.

"I was not aware of what was happening," Obama said. "I had no contact with the governor or his office and so I was not aware of what was happening."

Tribune Editor Gerould W. Kern said today that the newspaper delayed publishing some stories at the request of the U.S. attorney's office during the course of reporting on the accelerating investigation of Blagojevich.

"On occasion, prosecutors asked us to delay publication of stories, asserting that disclosure would jeopardize the criminal investigation." Kern said. "In isolated instances, we granted the requests, but other requests were refused."

The stunning, early morning arrest came amid revelations that federal investigators had compiled secret recordings of the governor with the cooperation of a longtime confidant. In recent days, the focus of federal investigators turned to the possibility that Blagojevich's appointment to the Senate had become tainted by pay-to-play politics.

The Democratic governor has said he expects to make a decision on the state's next senator in weeks.

Blagojevich and Harris were arrested simultaneously at their homes at about 6:15 a.m., according to the FBI. They were transported to FBI headquarters in Chicago. Blagojevich is slated to appear at 1:30 p.m. before U.S. Magistrate Judge Nan Nolan today, according to Randall Samborn of the U.S. attorney's office.

On the issue of the U.S. Senate seat that Obama resigned Nov. 16, federal prosecutors said they had numerous recorded conversations of Blagojevich discussing the merits of potential candidates, including their abilities to benefit the people of Illinois as well as the financial and political benefits he and his wife, First Lady Patricia Blagojevich, could receive.

Ald. Dick Mell (33rd), Blagojevich's father-in-law, said it was a "terrible day." Mell, who often feuded with Blagojevich, said, "My main concern right now is for my daughter and my grandchildren."

Mayor Richard Daley, reacting at a news conference, said today is "a sad day. If it's true, it's very, very sad because the selection of a U.S. senator is vitally important."

Prosecutors also alleged Blagojevich expressed feeling "stuck" as a sitting governor and spent a large amount of time weighing whether he should appoint himself to the vacancy--possibly to avoid impeachment and help remake his image for a potential 2016 run for the presidency. A recent Tribune poll found Blagojevich with a record low 13 percent job approval rating.

Under state law, the governor has the sole unfettered discretion to name Obama's appointment.

Prosecutors alleged Blagojevich sought appointment as Secretary of Health and Human Services, secretary of the Energy Department or gain an ambassadorship in the new Obama administration, or get a lucrative job with a union in exchange for appointing a union-preferred candidate. An Obama spokesman had no immediate comment.

Blagojevich also was alleged to be using a favors list, made up largely of individuals and firms that have state contracts or received taxpayer benefits, from which to conduct a $2.5 million fundraising drive before year's end when a new tougher law on campaign donations, prompted by the governor's voracious fundraising, would take effect.

Even Blagojevich's recently announced $1.8 billion plan for new interchanges and "green lanes" on the Illinois Tollway was subject to corruption, prosecutors alleged. The criminal complaint alleges Blagojevich expected an unnamed highway concrete contractor to raise a half-million dollars for his campaign fund in exchange for state money for the tollway project. "If they don't perform, (expletive) 'em," Blagojevich said, according to the complaint.

Blagojevich and Harris also allegedly conspired to demand the firing of Chicago Tribune editorial board members responsible for editorials critical of Blagojevich in exchange for state help with the sale of Wrigley Field, the Chicago Cubs baseball stadium owned by Tribune Co.

In addition, federal prosecutors alleged Blagojevich and Harris, along with others, obtained and sought to gain financial benefits for the governor, members of his family and his campaign fund in exchange for appointments to state boards and commissions, state jobs and state contracts.

"The breadth of corruption laid out in these charges is staggering," U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald said in a statement.

"They allege that Blagojevich put a 'for sale' sign on the naming of a United States senator; involved himself personally in pay-to-play schemes with the urgency of a salesman meeting his annual sales target; and corruptly used his office in an effort to trample editorial voices of criticism."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-blagojevich,0,2326073.story

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
'Blago’ Busted:
The Republican Comeback, Part 2

James P. Pinkerton
The Fox Forum
December 9, 2008

“Blago Busted.” My fellow Chicagoans know exactly who I am talking about: today’s arrest of Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich on corruption charges. To which any true son or daughter of the Windy City would say, “What took ‘em so long?”

Blago,” as he is nicknamed, is a true Chicagoan, loyal to local political traditions. So of course, he was dogged by corruption charges, even before he took office in Springfield back in 2003.
Politicos and news junkies can look to the bright side of this tawdriness. In addition to lurid testimony, all those Senate-seat-buying conversations, recorded on tape, are sure to spill into the news soon enough. Grab the popcorn! This is entertainment!​
But the new accusation is that he was literally trying to sell Barack Obama’s senate seat. Now that Obama has moved on toward the White House, the Illinois governor has the power to appoint a successor to the senate. Needless to say, the new appointment is supposed to be based on merit, not on moolah. Apparently, many of these “sales pitches” are on tape.
Yes, it’s sad that my home state is so full of crooks.​
Yes, it’s sad that my home state is so full of crooks—in the past four decades, no fewer than three of Blago’s gubernatorial predecessors, Otto Kerner, Dan Walker, and George Ryan—have ended up in the clink, as well as countless lesser officials. But back to Blago in the here and now: Politicos and news junkies can look to the bright side of this tawdriness. In addition to lurid testimony, all those Senate-seat-buying conversations, recorded on tape, are sure to spill into the news soon enough. Grab the popcorn! This is entertainment!

But of course, the Blago saga is more than an Illinois story; because of the Obama connection, it’s a national story.

Nobody is accusing Obama of having anything to do with this scandal, Blago & Co. seem perfectly capable of being crooks without any help, and in fact, Obama and Blago do not seem to have been close. But one does have to ask: Where was young Obama during all these corruption cases? What was he doing in Chicago at the same time? Who did he know? And what did he know? After all, he made a meteoric rise in Chicago and then in Illinois politics. How did he do that, exactly?

And there are others in the mix, too: Consider this headline, “How Rahm Emanuel Made Mega-Millions and Bought His Way to Power,” from Pro Publica, a new watchdog Web site that seeks to take the place of muckraking newspapers.

Does the story of Emanuel—another hard-charging Chicago pol, who succeeded Blagojevich in Congress and is now Obama’s White House chief of staff—stoke any journalistic curiosity? It should. And eventually, the 44th President, and his team, will have to answer a few questions. More than a few.

As noted in this space, the Republican comeback began last week in Georgia and Louisiana. Blago-gate is Part 2.

http://foxforum.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/12/09/pinkerton_blagojevich/

blaquechylde

Potential Star
Registered
Chicago and Illinois corrupt?:eek: Wake me when you get to Miami, Atlanta, Detroit, Dallas, and please don't forget about New York and Los Angeles (two cities that keep rewriting the book on corruption) and pretty much the whole United States both before during and after Bush!:angry::angry::smh:

monsterman

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Glad Obama hasn't been named in this. In fact he said some things that made Obama look very honest. :lol::lol:

Blago you dumb muthafucker.
The Republicans and FAUX news are damn sure gonna have a field day with this. Obama needs to watch himself, and his cabinet. So what will become of the senate seat?

keysersoze

Star
Registered
The Republicans and FAUX news are damn sure gonna have a field day with this. Obama needs to watch himself, and his cabinet. So what will become of the senate seat?

I agree - Obama needs to distance himself from this dumbass. :smh:

Greedy. That's all that needs to be said.

cthomas0964

Star
Registered

Sorry, looking at Fox News now and reading the text of the recordings. It looks like Obama wasn't going to play ball with him cause he called him a Muthafucker. SO FAR... Obama hasn't really been mentioned. Not on Fox News or in the affidavit. They are now talking about a special election. Which is expected because of the flack from this.

Ok watching H & C and they are trying to pull Obama's name in it but nothing concrete. Can't get mad because if McCain had won and this was somebody in his past the other news agencies would be all over it doing the same thing to McCain. The end result is that the Attorney General says there was nothing implicating Obama.

Last edited:

Chitownheadbusa

♏|God|♏
BGOL Investor
Glad Obama hasn't been named in this. In fact he said some things that made Obama look very honest. :lol::lol:

read the indictment .
all 78 pages...i did.

sad and pure comedy.
obama did get mentioned.

and i think more wil get mentioned as time goes on.
illinois/chicago got a lot of corrupt shit going on.
i hope Daley gets caught up in something.
if Obama was invovled in something...i doubt the ful story wil get mentioned.
i honestly think one of the Jackson wil be mentioned.
maybe Jr.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Obama speaks out
in his first newspaper interview

Los Angeles Times
December 10 2008

Have you ever spoken to [ Illinois] Gov. [ Rod R.] Blagojevich about the Senate seat?
I have not discussed the Senate seat with the governor at any time. My strong belief is that it needed to be filled by somebody who is going to represent the people of Illinois and fight for them. And beyond that, I was focused on the transition.​

And that was before and after the election?
Yes.​

Are you aware of any conversations between Blagojevich or [chief of staff] John Harris and any of your top aides, including Rahm [Emanuel]?
Let me stop you there because . . . it's an ongoing investigation. I think it would be inappropriate for me to, you know, remark on the situation beyond the facts that I know. And that's the fact that I didn't discuss this issue with the governor at all.​

Could you talk to the point of whether an appointment by Gov. Blagojevich would taint whoever your successor would be, given what we know?
I think what the people of Illinois deserve is somebody they can trust, somebody that's going to fight for them and, you know, I think we've got to make sure that whatever process emerges gives them that assurance. I haven't examined all the options that are out there at this point.​

This is an edited transcript of an interview conducted Tuesday in Chicago with President-elect Barack Obama. The interviewers were Peter Nicholas and Christi Parsons of our Washington bureau and reporter John McCormick of the Tribune.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...ama-excerpts10-2008dec10,0,3688350,full.story

Sango

Rising Star
Platinum Member
What about the Axelrod comment back in November saying that Obama has talks with "Blago"? It just looks like a bit more can be drawn from this and it's only the beginning.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
. . . Ut Oh . . .

In Blagojevich investigation,
'Individual D' seeks immunity

Raghuveer P. Nayak -- a supporter of Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. who allegedly had been pressured by Blagojevich for funds -- agrees to cooperate.

Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich is accused of trying to sell a vacant U.S. Senate seat.

M. Spencer Green / Associated Press

Los Angeles Times
By David Kidwell and John Chase
December 22, 2008

Reporting from Chicago -- A key figure in Illinois Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich's alleged scheme to sell a U.S. Senate seat has sought immunity from federal authorities in return for his cooperation.

Businessman and political fundraiser Raghuveer P. Nayak is Individual D in the federal complaint, sources said. Individual D was being squeezed by the governor for campaign cash, according to prosecutors, in order to appoint Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. (D-Ill.) to the Senate seat vacated by President-elect Barack Obama.

Investigators appeared at Nayak's home in Oak Brook, a Chicago suburb, the morning the FBI arrested Blagojevich, the sources said. Federal agents that day contacted a number of people connected to the case.

Nayak has not been accused of wrongdoing.

He declined to comment for this article.

A 54-year-old millionaire who made his fortune in medical businesses, he was little-known outside Chicago's close-knit Indian community and Illinois political fundraising circles until the governor's Dec. 9 arrest, which has made him a central figure in the scandal.

The Chicago Tribune has reported that Nayak hosted an Oct. 31 luncheon where he discussed raising $1 million for Blagojevich to help persuade the governor to choose Jackson.

The congressman's brother Jonathan appeared at a Nayak-sponsored fundraiser for the governor three days before Blagojevich was arrested.

The congressman has acknowledged speaking with Nayak about his desire for the Senate seat but said he was not aware of a fundraising effort to support his bid.

Jackson's lawyer, James Montgomery Sr., reacted to the news of Nayak's bid for immunity by saying, "If that is indeed the case, and if that cooperation relates to my client, then [Nayak] is trying to save his own skin. That's all I have to say."
Attempts to reach the congressman were unsuccessful Sunday evening

Only Blagojevich and his chief of staff are charged in the federal complaint, which alleges the two-term Democrat put a price on many of his official actions.

Federal prosecutors say the case epitomizes the worst excesses of a political system in which public officials raise money from people who want something from their government. Those who supply the money are never far from government's most powerful players. And that system wouldn't exist without people like Nayak.

Federal and state election reports show that Nayak, his wife and his businesses for the last decade have donated more than $779,000 and raised hundreds of thousands more for candidates ranging from the Cook County circuit court clerk to Obama.

He has contributed primarily to Democrats but also to Republicans.

Nayak has been a notable contributor and fundraiser for three state officials who have been among the governor's harshest critics since the scandal broke -- Atty. Gen. Lisa Madigan, Lt. Gov. Patrick Quinn and Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias.

Nayak and his longtime business attorney refused to discuss the Blagojevich case. But the attorney, Thomas Conley, said his client is "just a good guy" and an honest businessman who stepped up when "the Indian community recognized that it needed to have its interests heard by politicians."

Nayak has been a longtime supporter of Rep. Jackson, and he's traveled with the congressman's father, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, to India.

He also was a partner of Jonathan Jackson on a failed land deal.

jchase@tribune.com

dkidwell@tribune.com

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-blagojevich22-2008dec22,0,2658390.story

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
Blago on GMA

<object width="450" height="370"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/e/966_1232975692"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/966_1232975692" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="370"></embed></object>
:confused::smh::angry:

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
LIVE Speech Given By Disgraced Illinois Governor After Getting Booted

<object width="450" height="370"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/e/256_1233274641"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/256_1233274641" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="370"></embed></object>
:lol:

59-0: Bye, Bye Blagojevich

MSNBC: The Illinois Senate unanimously voted to remove Gov. Rod Blagojevich from office on Thursday after an FBI investigation revealed he tried to sell a U.S. Senate seat to the highest bidder. In a long-shot attempt to save his job, Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich insisted Thursday he had done nothing wrong and shouldn't be removed from office over unproven criminal charges and complaints a More..bout his management decisions. "You haven't proved a crime, and you can't because it didn't happen," Blagojevich said at his Senate impeachment trial. "How can you throw a governor out of office with insufficient and incomplete evidence?"
<object width="450" height="370"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/e/0b8_1233273024"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/0b8_1233273024" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="370"></embed></object>

Last edited:

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Re: LIVE Speech Given By Disgraced Illinois Governor After Getting Booted

Blagojevich Trial

Jury has reached a verdict on 18 Counts; Deadlocked on 2 others.

Verdict will be read today between 1:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m., presumably Eastern Time.

Whats your guess: Innocent or Guilty on the 18 Counts ???

Greed

Star
Registered
Does Blagojevich’s time fit his crime?

Korecki: Does Blagojevich’s time fit his crime?
BY NATASHA KORECKI
December 14, 2013 2:02AM

It’s been a year and a half since Rod Blagojevich started his prison sentence in Colorado.

Now that we’re this far in, does anyone feel any better?

Because as it stands now, under even the best of circumstances, the former governor, congressman and state lawmaker of Illinois will be behind bars until he’s in his late 60s. Both his daughters will have grown beyond their school-age years. Last week, one of them sang to him over the phone.

That’s how they celebrated his 57th birthday.

The 14-year sentence doled out by U.S. District James Zagel in December 2011 was perhaps the lengthiest imposed on a defendant convicted of public corruption in Illinois history.

It’s more than many murderers get, including one sentenced by Zagel.

That’s because Blagojevich’s crimes were so unequivocally wrong, and his case, so unquestionably opened and shut, right?

Right?

Well, that’s just the problem.

When it comes to Blagojevich’s criminal case, there are two questions I’m asked again and again by various observers: Isn’t 14 years way overboard for Blagojevich? And was his conduct really considered criminal?

For years, the government, as well as Zagel, who oversaw the case, batted down those theories as essentially nonsense.

On Friday, however, the fundamental question about whether Blagojevich’s attempts to benefit from appointing someone to Barack Obama’s Senate seat surfaced in the most weighty of legal environments in our district.

The former chief judge of the U.S. 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, the conservative Frank Easterbrook, grilled the government about whether Blagojevich’s conduct amounted to nothing more than political horse trading.

It was an upside-down few minutes when Easterbrook extolled a theory that Blagojevich himself had attempted, unsuccessfully, to put forth in court.

With some passion behind his remarks, Easterbrook asked if there was “any criminal conviction in U.S. history” other than Blagojevich’s in which a politician was convicted for trying to trade one job for another.

“I’m aware of none,” responded the government’s Debra Bonamici.

Her answer seemed to hang in the air for a bit as courtroom observers took that in.

Easterbrook described how in the run-up to the 1952 presidential election, then-California Gov. Earl Warren offered to use his post to “deliver California” for Eisenhower in return for a seat on the Supreme Court. It was a deal that Eisenhower eventually honored.

“If I understand your position, Earl Warren should have gone to prison, Dwight Eisenhower should have gone to prison,” Easterbrook implored. “Can that possibly be right?”

Her eventual answer was nuanced, including explaining the allegations included Blagojevich’s attempt to have a 501c (4) set up for him to head if he appointed Valerie Jarrett to the U.S. Senate.

Yet, the exchange crystallized the questions that for years circled the very heart of this case. They then beg a bigger question — is 14 years fair in a case that still draws those fundamental questions?

Though there’s little benefit from trying to telegraph the jurists’ decision in the case, the Blagojevich side — which also got quizzed by Easterbrook — has got to be feeling hopeful at the least after Friday.

The best chance of getting any reduction in Blagojevich’s sentence would be to knock out counts, since he cannot separately appeal the length of his sentence.

Besides the legal arguments, however, Blagojevich probably has done himself the biggest service yet by maintaining radio silence through his appeal.

There have been no blockbuster interviews or courtroom shenanigans. There’s no assembly of supporters lining up, outside court, asking for autographs.

That’s in sharp contrast to reality TV and the news conferences he would call before his first trial started.

On Friday, Patti Blagojevich kept up the new tradition, keeping her remarks brief.

“I just want to say that during the holiday season, that there isn’t a day or moment that goes by that my daughters and I don’t feel the emptiness of the absence of my husband,” she said. “He’s missed so many birthdays and holidays and . . . now we’ve just gone through our second Thanksgiving, coming up on our second Christmas without him. We just hope and pray that he’ll be home soon with his family.

“We have the utmost confidence in the court, and we put our trust and faith in God.”

It’s an unusual situation for the former political power couple — keeping relatively quiet and letting their legal arguments speak for themselves.

The sobering reality of missed holidays and birthdays will do that.

Regardless of the nuances of legal arguments and motions, the real question is just how many Christmases does Blagojevich need to miss to make up for what some are still not fully convinced was a crime.

http://www.suntimes.com/24360970-761/korecki-does-blagojevichs-time-fit-his-crime.html

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Trump commutes Rod Blagojevich's sentence

President Trump on Tuesday commuted the prison sentence of former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, along with other high-profile convicts.

"He'll be able to go back home with his family after serving eight years in jail," Trump said of Blagojevich, calling his sentence "ridiculous."

Blagojevich was convicted on corruption charges in 2011 after trying to essentially sell former President Barack Obama's Senate seat and was sentenced to 14 years in prison.

Trump also pardoned former San Francisco 49ers owner Eddie DeBartolo Jr., who was convicted in a gambling fraud case; New York City police commissioner Bernard Kerik, who was charged with tax fraud and lying to the government; and financier Michael Milken, who was convicted of securities fraud.

Source: The New York Times, NBC

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
"I am a political prisoner," former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich tells Anderson Cooper

"I am a political prisoner," former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich tells Anderson Cooper, adding "if you were to ask Nelson Mandela whether he thought the process was fair back in the early '60s in South Africa, he would say what I'm saying today." https://cnn.it/2wFDHtH