How important is it to recover a body?

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
Budget cuts are taking place all over the country.

Search missions are one thing. Recovery missions are another. To what extent should resources be expended to find a badly decomposed body?

"We're using all the assets that are available to us. We're using technology like sonar. We have experts who have dove this lake, that know it inside and out, that know where debris pockets might be," he said. "We're relying on their expertise to help us in that endeavor. We're going to do everything that we can to find her. We're going to continue to search."
While the search is ongoing now, Donoghue said that it won't continue indefinitely.
"Those that are responsible for managing the overall search, they may get to a point in time where they've expelled every resource, they've searched every area, the probability of detection, of finding someone in a particular area, they've exhausted," he said. "When we get to that point, that's when they would probably have to suspend the search."

Naya Rivera 'May Never' Be Found in Lake Piru, Police Say

Naya Rivera's body may never be found. In a press conference on Thursday, Ventura County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Kevin Donoghue discussed how Lake Piru's "terrible" visibility is affecting the search for the former Glee actress, who went missing on July 8 after taking a boat ride with her 4-year-old son, Josey. Rivera's son was found safe on the boat.

"In this particular lake, in that area, there's a lot of trees and plants and such that are under the water that can cause entanglements. It makes it unsafe for the divers and it makes it a more complicated search," Donoghue explained. "If the body is entangled in something beneath the water, it may never come back up. We don't know."

Diver Max O'Brien also addressed the media and gave further insight into how difficult their search efforts have been.

"The visibility is about one to two feet and then in some clearings it's up to three to five. There's a lot of tree branches and overgrowth from when the lake was lower, so we're digging through, breaking through sticks and searching a heavy brush bottom," O'Brien said. "Under the water, it's a lot by feel. Again, there's a lot of shrubbery and sticks that we have to break through as we're going through, so it's kind of a Braille search."

Though the search is a difficult one, Donoghue said that his team is "putting forth our best foot forward to try and locate her."

"We're using all the assets that are available to us. We're using technology like sonar. We have experts who have dove this lake, that know it inside and out, that know where debris pockets might be," he said. "We're relying on their expertise to help us in that endeavor. We're going to do everything that we can to find her. We're going to continue to search."

While the search is ongoing now, Donoghue said that it won't continue indefinitely.

"Those that are responsible for managing the overall search, they may get to a point in time where they've expelled every resource, they've searched every area, the probability of detection, of finding someone in a particular area, they've exhausted," he said. "When we get to that point, that's when they would probably have to suspend the search."

“But we’re not there yet” he added

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.etonline.com/naya-rivera-may-never-be-found-in-lake-piru-police-say-149469?amp

Star

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
To Me , Not very much, I can put up a Memorial Stone
BUT to Many people, They will want that body back no matter what it takes.
These people will demand a never ending search to the far corners of the earth.
If only one Leg or jaw bone can be found then and only then will they be satisfied

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
Budget cuts are taking place all over the country.

Search missions are one thing. Recovery missions are another. To what extent should resources be expended to find a badly decomposed body?

Ask a grieving family

Gods_Debris

Rising Star
Registered
Society can't do everything.

Ask an evicted family. Then ask a lead-poisoned family. Then ask a family without healthcare. Then ask...
Okay while true, all the things you listed are ENTIRELY societies' fault.

Housing is a human RIGHT. Notice they don't make prisoner's live in caves they themselves are forced to carve into the side of a mountains on some game of thrones shit.

Lead poisoned families... was the lead naturally occurring? Oh no you say?! It was dumped there by a private company or lead was used for its cheap price point despite us knowing lead helped bring down the Roman Empire....

or maybe even the gub'ment herself decided it would just put dirt on top of toxic waste site and let black folks live there because society created the lane that allowed the shit to go on to the point while cities have contaminated "potable" water.

Healthcare... is for one a massive and far reaching concept that includes preventive measures that have nothing to do with a physician. Furthermore, I'd propose that in a healthy society, a system of maintenance definitely falls under the societal purview considering healthy citizenry is the foundation of an advancing, productive and safe social environment.

This whole shit is handshakes and gentlemen's agreements... backstopped by explody killing things

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's not unusual for the government to send a bill to someone if they deem that the costs incurred was do to negligence.

With that being said, the OP's comparison's are really apples and oranges. She paid taxes and some of that money went toward fire, rescue, and police.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
I'd say that if a municipality or other body put a reasonable limit, which could vary by region, season, or location, on search and recovery efforts, I could understand that.

Searching the ocean for a body that went overboard or the vast forests of Alaska and Montana is different than searching a wooded area or local lake.

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
Personally I have a very callous view when it comes to death after my father passed.
Personally i dont see the benefit to searching for a body or visiting a grave after one has passed.
But thats me.

Its a horrible time for her family & loved ones. And hopefully finding the body will give them some closure.
I wonder in cases where the person isnt a celeb or white child if they go to same measures to find the body?

lazarus

waking people up
BGOL Investor
First of all, OP is an asshole.

Second of all, it brings closure and eliminates possibility and hope she is alive. For more clarification, speak to a therapist about the grieving process. It seems like common sense to me but I understand some don't possess that.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Shit I just posted this story in the appropriate thread; bodies been in the rubble since October :smh:

It's been so long I'd forgotten about it. Given the circumstances, I can see why the bodies were left in place and at this point I'd only hope that they CAN be recovered for the families.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Personally I have a very callous view when it comes to death after my father passed.
Personally i dont see the benefit to searching for a body or visiting a grave after one has passed.
But thats me.

Its a horrible time for her family & loved ones. And hopefully finding the body will give them some closure.
I wonder in cases where the person isnt a celeb or white child if they go to same measures to find the body?
Search and rescue happen all the time. I have seen plenty of stories over the years where non-celebrities get the same treatment in terms of search, rescue, or recovery. I think the only issue is whether or not it gets reported as a major news item.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
Okay while true, all the things you listed are ENTIRELY societies' fault.

Housing is a human RIGHT. Notice they don't make prisoner's live in caves they themselves are forced to carve into the side of a mountains on some game of thrones shit.

Lead poisoned families... was the lead naturally occurring? Oh no you say?! It was dumped there by a private company or lead was used for its cheap price point despite us knowing lead helped bring down the Roman Empire....

or maybe even the gub'ment herself decided it would just put dirt on top of toxic waste site and let black folks live there because society created the lane that allowed the shit to go on to the point while cities have contaminated "potable" water.

Healthcare... is for one a massive and far reaching concept that includes preventive measures that have nothing to do with a physician. Furthermore, I'd propose that in a healthy society, a system of maintenance definitely falls under the societal purview considering healthy citizenry is the foundation of an advancing, productive and safe social environment.

This whole shit is handshakes and gentlemen's agreements... backstopped by explody killing things

I agree with your response on each example. That was precisely the point, which you missed. A society has to prioritize and every item I named is essential. Once hopes of finding a person has been eliminated and the sole objective is to recover a body, the possible gains have been entirely redefined. When we have living people with no housing security, no healthcare and without safe water to drink, our society's focus needs to be on improving the lives of the living.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
It's not unusual for the government to send a bill to someone if they deem that the costs incurred was do to negligence.

With that being said, the OP's comparison's are really apples and oranges. She paid taxes and some of that money went toward fire, rescue, and police.

How incredibly sad it is that you think citizenship and paying taxes should even be factors here.

Aren't you one always complaining about society not not doing enough for people?

I am. Living people who could tangibly benefit.

ORIGINAL NATION

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Aren't you one always complaining about society not not doing enough for people?
Devils look out for devils. We should have learned from those who were before us. Why do you think the big devils cannot be touched. Only wise choice for blacks that think they got money is to use it toward separation of white devils.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
I'd say that if a municipality or other body put a reasonable limit, which could vary by region, season, or location, on search and recovery efforts, I could understand that.

Searching the ocean for a body that went overboard or the vast forests of Alaska and Montana is different than searching a wooded area or local lake.

I agree. People are acting like I said to leave hit and run victims decomposing in the streets but my question was how important it is.

In the example in the OP, the Sgt. said the were "going to do everything that we can," employing "technology like sonar," bringing in experts, expelling "every resource" until "the probability of detection is exhausted."

I understand the emotion. I would say it is essential to expend every resource to save someone. But once they have given up and are only searching for a body, the effort should be limited unless we're talking about a society where all the more paramount needs have been met.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
First of all, OP is an asshole.

Second of all, it brings closure and eliminates possibility and hope she is alive. For more clarification, speak to a therapist about the grieving process. It seems like common sense to me but I understand some don't possess that.

If you think I'm an asshole for pointing out that you are a dumbass for thinking that searching every corner and crevice OF THE BOTTOM OF A LAKE has anything to do with hoping that someone is alive, I only take that as validation.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How incredibly sad it is that you think citizenship and paying taxes should even be factors here.

I am. Living people who could tangibly benefit.
dude your argument was off to begin with. YOU mentioned resources to begin with. Those resources to find her in the first place were paid for by tax dollars which she was paying as well. Fire and rescue first priority was to assume she was alive somehow and do whatever was possible to find her. After a certain amount of time, it is ASSUMED that she is dead and to proceed to find the body to return to the family.

Every military vet will tell you how important it is to retrieve a body if all possible. Vietnam vets and families spent decades looking for relatives that were presumed killed in Vietnam. In our time, we literally saw the entire country come together in an effort to find every body that was lost in the 9/11 attacks. So it has been made pretty fuckng clear body retriveal has always been an important factor in this country and probably most other countries as well.

I'm pretty sure California is an Obamacare state. Although not perfect, Obamacare states tend to go out of their way to insure as many as possible. Therefore, your argument about dying from lack of medical insurance loses weight with places like cali that have accepted Obamacare.

What happened in Michigan ain't got shit to do with Cali. Michigan's water problem is something for the federal government to deal with.

When are you going to Michigan to help out? How many GoFundMe campaigns have you given to to help someone with their rent or help pay a medical bill? Why are all your posts about what everybody else should do?

lazarus

waking people up
BGOL Investor
If you think I'm an asshole for pointing out that you are a dumbass for thinking that searching every corner and crevice OF THE BOTTOM OF A LAKE has anything to do with hoping that someone is alive, I only take that as validation.
you are an idiot because it does. you are an asshole and you need to research the grief process. its not rational when you experience loss.

Last edited:

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
you are an idiot because it does. you are an asshole and you need to research the grief process. its not rational when you experience loss.
I understand the point that you're making Bruh, but how long does search and rescue efforts continue due to a family's grieving. The Therapist that you mentioned serves THAT purpose.

This country has Cold Cases by the thousands. There's a limit to how much the Village of Trevor, population 2400 can expend, all while relying heavily on volunteers from the community to assist with their personal assets.

They then have to turn it over to either the larger towns for assistance or County and State to step in.

If and when a body DOES turn up by chance, then things are reinvigorated from there and hopefully, closure is found by the family and the agency itself.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Very important to the propaganda and faux patriotism thats sold and used to prop up the military industrial complex.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

33582816-0-image-a-150_1601035207404.jpg

33574886-8765469-Nickayla_is_pictured_in_a_previous_Instagram_post_with_Naya-a-75_1601309120630.jpg

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member

33582816-0-image-a-150_1601035207404.jpg

33574886-8765469-Nickayla_is_pictured_in_a_previous_Instagram_post_with_Naya-a-75_1601309120630.jpg
Yeah, sure...it's for their son. Ooookay!