HBO Series: Watchmen (2019) (drops 10/20/19) Thread

yaBoi

X-pert Professional
Platinum Member
We're already 2 episodes in and I have yet to see an op ed piece from some butthurt CAC about how the show focuses too much on race or how people just want to be entertained instead of getting a history lesson or any other excuse they give. You know how they hate it when the light gets shined on their misdeeds.
hell to be fair after watching the second episode i came here to ask the same thing..so this is pretty much an alternate universe race relations story with watchman slapped on..?

or will next season take on a new story line..

Database Error

You're right dawg
OG Investor
In the pilot, young Will is watching a movie about real-life lawman Bass Reeves in the moments before the Tulsa massacre, in which Reeves chases down a sheriff and lassoes him up because he "doesn't deserve" to wear his badge. While doing so, Reeves dons a black hood and carries a lasso, not unlike the costume later worn by Hooded Justice. It's clear that Will was affected by the Bass Reeves movie - and the tragedy that soon followed it - as he appears to have adopted the same last name as his hero. If that's the case, the idea of him embodying the costume of his hero when he eventually becomes a vigilante doesn't feel impossible. Later on in the episode, Will asks Angela if she thinks he can lift 200 pounds -- which he certainly would've been able to, if he was Hooded Justice.

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
That was a little known fact... I ended up schooling my girl on it.

I really love how this show is showing Black history that kats have forgotten about.

Yep and just so you know Special Operations isn't just for people like Seals and Tac P (deadliest warrior you never heard of) but the Psy Ops units as well.

And Nzinga, this is for you! You ol Bastard!

BTW most of these ACs are Nuclear Capable

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member

Database Error

You're right dawg
OG Investor
mh-screen-shot-2019-10-27-at-10-39-14-pm-1572230378.jpg

"THE MAN"

Resident Cool Nerd
BGOL Investor
I can understand wanting to come in with no knowledge of the comic. I have been wrong on some things but with Ozymandias I called it based on the comic. We should just include a spoiler tag for comic book stuff. Not everyone has read the books and trying to process that information while trying to watch the show weekly could be a hassle. But after the show ends we are gonna have a great convo about all of this.
Loved the opening. White folks need to see shit like that. They hold on to this fantasy that we are out fighting for our freedom and completely ignore other citizens who don't even have it yet. Still to this day. Might be too many truth bombs for this to pick up a cult following. They just gonna label it a SJW show and move on. But my black ass will be here supporting it week after week. Its funny that yesterday I was listening to coworkers talk about the show. One guy said it was ok but he is having a hard time with it. Said it's because none of the Watchmen characters are really in the show. Yea ok buddy. I mean how many were actually fuckin left at the end of the damn book. 3 will show up at least and we know that for a fact. Excuses excuses.

"THE MAN"

Resident Cool Nerd
BGOL Investor
Side note, read that link I posted before of the backstory after the books. Has an update on someone who survived the books and may not show up. Also makes me think that Ozy is somewhere completely unexpected.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
They still did the same thing in Wwi...

I just couldn’t find a story.

But this is what they really did.

That note is the same note they used in World War 2... exactly the same note.

They didn't just do that there. They've done that in any war Black men fought for America up to Vietnam

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor
Watchmen Explains Robert Redford’s Presidency (& Why It’s Controversial)

Robert-Redford-in-Captain-America-Winter-Soldier-Watchmen.jpg

HBO's Watchmen has explained Robert Redford's position as president on the series and his controversial "Redfordations." The Watchmen story is set in an alternate history where the presence of the superhuman known as Dr. Manhattan helped the United States win the Vietnam war, thus providing Richard Nixon with the popularity required to run for consecutive presidential terms all the way from 1969 to 1985.

Taking place roughly 30 years after the events of the original Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons comic book series, the Watchmen TV series reveals that Nixon was finally ousted as president following the giant squid attack on New York and replaced with the actor Robert Redford, who has remained in the position ever since. In Watchmen's series premiere, a bratty schoolkid taunted Regina King's Angela with mention of "Redfordations," something that angered both Angela and her son, Topher, who branded his classmate a racist. However, the episode wasn't clear on the nature of these reforms, or why they're used as fuel by white supremacists in Watchmen's America.

The second episode of HBO's Watchmen unveils much more about Redford's presidency, the Redfordations and the racial split within the country. Redford was elected on a manifesto of left-leaning politics, evident in the "liberal" slurs used by characters such as the news stand vendor, and perhaps also the over-the-top censorship warning that precedes "American Crime Story." One of the primary tenets of Redford's election campaign was the Victims of Racial Violence act, a piece of legislation that would require the government to apologize for historic race attacks, such as the 1921 Tulsa Massacre that opened Watchmen's first episode.

Watchmen-Presidents.jpg

In addition to an apology, victims of racial violence and their descendants would receive financial reparations (the so-called Redfordations) as compensation for the crimes. These come in the form of tax breaks, which is why the rude schoolboy asked if Redfordations paid for Angela's bakery, and why Jim Beaver's character makes a similar comment when Angela wrote him a check. This concept is taken directly from real-life, and although such legislation has never come to pass, some form of financial reparation has been discussed for victims of racial violence repeatedly in the past, and remains an active topic in the current lead-up to the 2020 elections.

In a grim irony, these financial benefits have apparently led to an upsurge in discrimination and racial violence. While some casually criticize Redford's policy, others are seen protesting outside the center where citizens can analyze their heritage and discover whether they are entitled the Redfordations or not. Heading into even more extreme territory, the reparations also seem to be one of the biggest points of contention for the Seventh Kavalry and other white nationalist groups. In Watchmen's premiere, Looking Glass asks whether "all Americans should pay taxes" during an interrogation - clearly attempting to unearth any racial resentment. Additionally, the police round-up scene in this week's installment features a white nationalist camp site with a massive statue of Nixon out front.

The open discontent among some sections of white people regarding the Redfordations is likely going to boil over into a presidential battle, as Joe Keene seems positioned to ride to the right-wing's rescue. Although Keene acted cordially enough to Angela, he was apparently a friend of Judd's, who now has question marks over his own racial stance. Watchmen also appears to be setting Keene as the polar opposite to Redford, suggesting he's a more conservative candidate that could potentially repeal the Redfordations.

Although deriving from reality, the passing of the Redfordations is perhaps a depiction of what might happen if a single politician could campaign indefinitely to remain in office; traditionally divisive policies would breeze through congress. It's also significant that Watchmen seems to act as a critique of the entire political spectrum. On one hand, the anti-Redfordation camp are presented in a negative light, but the legislation itself has clearly worsened racial relations, suggesting Redford's liberal tenure hasn't been wholly successful.

"THE MAN"

Resident Cool Nerd
BGOL Investor
Just don't like the last sentence of that article. Seems like they are trying to use kids gloves to not piss off certain folks. You could say the extreme rules that the police have against them shows that the liberal tenure hasn't been completely successful. Making race relations worse is an issue with the white citizens being unable to process why it was needed or why they choose to fuck with us for no reason. Nothing can be done to ever make things better in this country.

Eclipse99

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
First two episodes have my attention... but like I said before, I hope they dont fuck up Dr. Manhattan

PliggaNease

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
We all knew the white tears would show up soon.

"Were You Truly A Fan Of The Graphic Novel?": Regina King Addresses Hypocritical Fans Over 'Watchmen' Series
BY ELIJAH C. WATSON
1 MIN AGO
“With some people, I wonder if it’s one of two things: were you truly a fan of the graphic novel? Because if you were, you’d realise there was a political story in there,” King said during a recent interview.
Fans of the original Watchmen have been complaining about the HBO series that made its debut recently, with their primary objection being that the show is too political.

In a post from Esquire, the outlet pulled a couple of quotes from disgruntled fans, which can be seen below.
They took everything that was good about Watchmen and Rorschach, then defecated all over it Last Jedi style. This isn’t Watchmen, it’s Wokemen, sorry, Wokepersons. – Lotheravanti
They took my favorite comic series and used it as a vessel for delivering political/ ideological rhetoric. Was really looking forward to this. – James C
Somehow a show about gritty heroes became another show pandering to the SJWs of the world and inciting race divide and preaching an agenda. – Bill W
The irony of this is that the original Watchmen comics were very, very political. Aside from offering critiques on liberal and conservative ideas, the series explored an alternative history where Richard Nixon used Doctor Manhattan to win the Vietnam War. What fans seem to be umcomfortable with is the very specific way in which the HBO series of Watchmen has shifted its lens to focus on topics like race, and how one of the comics most beloved but troubled characters, Rorschach, has become the face of white supremacy. And Regina King is calling out fans to wrestle with their discomfort with the show.

“With some people, I wonder if it’s one of two things: were you truly a fan of the graphic novel? Because if you were, you’d realise there was a political story in there,” King said in an interview with Digital Spy. “And two, did it feel less political for you because you, as a white man right now, watching this, it’s making you uncomfortable? Which one is it? A combination of both?”

“I won’t be satisfied with an answer that says, ‘I don’t like it because it wasn’t anything like the graphic novel.’ That wasn’t the intention,” King continued. “…I won’t be satisfied with that as your answer. I need you to dig a little deeper to tell me what it was that made you feel uncomfortable. I feel that that’s very fair…Now, tell me why you feel uncomfortable?”

The first episode of HBO’s Watchmen began with the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921. Known by other names like the Tulsa race massacre, Greenwood Massacre and the Black Wall Street Massacre, the incident found mobs of white residents attacking black residents and businesses of the Greenwood District in Tulsa, Oklahoma on May 31 and June 1, 1921.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
“With some people, I wonder if it’s one of two things: were you truly a fan of the graphic novel? Because if you were, you’d realise there was a political story in there,” King said in an interview with Digital Spy. “And two, did it feel less political for you because you, as a white man right now, watching this, it’s making you uncomfortable? Which one is it? A combination of both?”

“I won’t be satisfied with an answer that says, ‘I don’t like it because it wasn’t anything like the graphic novel.’ That wasn’t the intention,” King continued. “…I won’t be satisfied with that as your answer. I need you to dig a little deeper to tell me what it was that made you feel uncomfortable. I feel that that’s very fair…Now, tell me why you feel uncomfortable?”
:inlove:

militantmidget

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

"Were You Truly A Fan Of The Graphic Novel?": Regina King Addresses Hypocritical Fans Over 'Watchmen' Series
BY ELIJAH C. WATSON
1 MIN AGO
“With some people, I wonder if it’s one of two things: were you truly a fan of the graphic novel? Because if you were, you’d realise there was a political story in there,” King said during a recent interview.
Fans of the original Watchmen have been complaining about the HBO series that made its debut recently, with their primary objection being that the show is too political.

In a post from Esquire, the outlet pulled a couple of quotes from disgruntled fans, which can be seen below.

The irony of this is that the original Watchmen comics were very, very political. Aside from offering critiques on liberal and conservative ideas, the series explored an alternative history where Richard Nixon used Doctor Manhattan to win the Vietnam War. What fans seem to be umcomfortable with is the very specific way in which the HBO series of Watchmen has shifted its lens to focus on topics like race, and how one of the comics most beloved but troubled characters, Rorschach, has become the face of white supremacy. And Regina King is calling out fans to wrestle with their discomfort with the show.

The first episode of HBO’s Watchmen began with the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921. Known by other names like the Tulsa race massacre, Greenwood Massacre and the Black Wall Street Massacre, the incident found mobs of white residents attacking black residents and businesses of the Greenwood District in Tulsa, Oklahoma on May 31 and June 1, 1921.

Isn't the show the aftermath of what happened in the graphic novel? The show isn't a true adaptation of the graphic novel to begin with. I love the show. Regina King is killing the role. Them whiteboys need to keep quiet and enjoy the show.

"THE MAN"

Resident Cool Nerd
BGOL Investor
Soft ass bitches. Its funny because I worked with a guy who was a Republican when the movie came out. He felt that Obama winning was a scary future. Hilarious I know. But what makes it funny is that he never read the graphic novel and went to see the movie because of the hype and he LOVED Rorschach. Guess they missed him dogging liberals in the book and movies.

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Soft ass bitches. Its funny because I worked with a guy who was a Republican when the movie came out. He felt that Obama winning was a scary future. Hilarious I know. But what makes it funny is that he never read the graphic novel and went to see the movie because of the hype and he LOVED Rorschach. Guess they missed him dogging liberals in the book and movies.

word...I mean...dude (Rorschach) was also a devout reader of the "New frontiersman" and left his journal with them.
The "New Frontiersman" is a right wing newspaper, so is it surprising that the right wing audience read his journal, twisted his words and elevated him as a cult hero?

CAC's have cognitive dissonance embedded in their DNA

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member

BY ELIJAH C. WATSON
1 MIN AGO

Funny you should drop this article. I saw this video this morning after watching Thought Crimez' take on CACs being in their feelings.
The butthurt is quite evident here. He's referencing the same article. I'm sure these fucks are on their bad review campaign.

Watchman Leads To VILE Takes & Blames "Trolls" For Bad Reviews

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

BY ELIJAH C. WATSON
1 MIN AGO

Funny you should drop this article. I saw this video this morning after watching Thought Crimez' take on CACs being in their feelings.
The butthurt is quite evident here. I'm sure these fucks are on their bad review campaign.

Watchman Leads To VILE Takes & Blames "Trolls" For Bad Reviews

13707669-1082742188478004.jpg

raze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This theory might be a little out there but how do we know Judd is dead? We know cloning technology is available in this world because we've seen Ozymandias' servants. The police seem to have access to his tech. Also, the show within the show featured a strongman who fakes his death so he can become a vigilante. Maybe that's what Judd did. It would also explain who strung up the body, and how Will got out of the handcuffs at the bakery. He could also be the one piloting the craft that dropped the magnet on the car and took Will away.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
This theory might be a little out there but how do we know Judd is dead? We know cloning technology is available in this world because we've seen Ozymandias' servants. The police seem to have access to his tech. Also, the show within the show featured a strongman who fakes his death so he can become a vigilante. Maybe that's what Judd did. It would also explain who strung up the body, and how Will got out of the handcuffs at the bakery. He could also be the one piloting the craft that dropped the magnet on the car and took Will away.
I don't think it's that far fetched. When you listen to Hooded Justice's dialogue, he mentioned putting on another skin like a mask. He doesn't know who he is and is still trying to find out it seems. I was wondering how that tied into it and the thoughts of clones had crossed my mind too.
Will hasn't been home in a loong time so where has he been and where does he live now?
Was HE Hooded Justice in a mask of white skin?

raze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't think it's that far fetched. When you listen to Hooded Justice's dialogue, he mentioned putting on another skin like a mask. He doesn't know who he is and is still trying to find out it seems. I was wondering how that tied into it and the thoughts of clones had crossed my mind too.
Will hasn't been home in a loong time so where has he been and where does he live now?
Was HE Hooded Justice in a mask of white skin?

Sorry, forgot to get back to you.

That's a really good point. Also, young Will was a Bass Reeves fan, who is said to be the inspiration for the Lone Ranger. Maybe the writers are taking another page from history and putting their own spin on it.