HBO’s Game of Thrones prequel is happening, first details revealed

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
HBO’s Game of Thrones prequel is happening, first details revealed

Night_King_Beyond_the_Wall.0.jpg

The future of Game of Thrones is officially in the past.

Though Game of Thrones season eight will conclude the television adaptation of George R.R. Martin’s Song of Ice and Fire in 2019, it won’t be the end of the franchise: HBO announced last May that several spinoff ideas were in the works from a variety of writers. At the time, Max Borenstein (Kong: Skull Island), Jane Goldman (X-Men: First Class), Brian Helgeland (A Knight’s Tale) and Carly Wray (Mad Men) were all announced as being involved with the development process of a new Thrones series, with Martin overseeing and directly collaborating on several of the pitches (with current showrunners D.B. Weiss and David Benioff handing off the baton and staying on only in executive producer roles).

Like the many theories burning inside the heads of Game of Thrones Reddit maesters, the spinoff announcement made the who/what/where/when gears crank away. Yes, there would be more Thrones — and the possibilities were endless.

Now, we know exactly what HBO and Martin have cooking.

According to Variety, HBO has given a pilot order to a prequel series from Goldman. Set thousands of years before the events of the current Thrones series, this expansion to the universe will chronicle the world’s shift from a golden Age of Heroes into “its darkest hour,” says Variety’s report. “From the horrifying secrets of Westeros’ history to the true origin of the white walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend — it’s not the story we think we know.”

Could Goldman’s series follow Bran the Builder and depict the creation of the North’s magical ice wall? Might we see the legend of the Long Night play out into the War for the Dawn? HBO’s carefully worded description hints at the historic story, and previously made promises — the company plans to spend well beyond $50 million per season on the new series — tease an epic episodic.

It’s unclear whether the ideas pitched from the other writers will be incorporated into Goldman’s series or spun off into their own ventures — with season seven finale drawing nearly 16.5 million eyeballs in its first 24 hours of existence, there’s no doubt HBO wants to keep the mega-franchise going for as long as possible. So far, the storylines of those unused scripts remain undisclosed.

As far as what might show up in Goldman’s series, Martin has ruled out plot lines mentioned in his Thrones tomes that fans have obsessed over for years. This will not be a secret Dunk and Egg series. We will not see Robert’s Rebellion depicted — this show’s going way back in time.

But Goldman should bring a decidedly different flavor to Thrones; with whimsical, dark fantasies like Stardust, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, and The Limehouse Golem under her belt (not to mention her big hits like Kick-Ass and Kingsman), the writer is a Brit through and through, which can’t be said for Weiss and Benioff. What that means for Thrones’ magical lore and medieval riffs is anyone’s guess — but we’ll have to wait until the first Game of Thrones wraps up next year before we can dedicate too much speculative energy to that. Saddle up.

https://www.polygon.com/tv/2018/6/8/17443056/game-of-thrones-prequel-spinoff-george-rr-martin

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
I’m trying to cut back on TV.

This year the only new show I have gotten involved with is “Lost in Space”.

The only other one I plan on getting invested in is the Soms Of Anarchy “Mayan” series debuting this fall.

They gonna have to pull out the big Gunn’s to get me invested in this.

godmc

International
International Member
The prequel is gonna take place thousands of years before the current series.

Didn’t realize that. I’m wondering where the source material is going to come from. Lots of backstory on YouTube minus personalities.

TheFuser

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I was hoping for Dunk and Egg, but I'm all in for the Children of the Forest and the pact with the first men.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
They gonna cast the kid who plays Brandon Stark as the Dude who becomes the Night King...