Have you ever worked as hard at anything as Kobe Bryant did/does at basketball?

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
I Knew Kobe Bryant Was Dedicated, But This Is Amazing.

People forget Kobe Bryant works harder than anyone else in the game. For instance, most people don't realize that he is on a polyphasic sleep schedule, just part of his total body optimization. He does dual core 2x naps. This first person account by an athletic trainer does an incredible job of showing his undying dedication to the game.

a_670_20150707143735.png

I've been a professional athletic trainer for about 16 years and have been able to work with a range of athletes from the high school to professional level. Right now I run in a clinic in Cincinnati and have most recently been training with some players on the Bengals.

Let me just state by saying that this story doesn't touch on anything we don't know about Kobe but rather that he simply is not human when he is working on his craft.

I was invited to Las Vegas two summers ago to help Team USA with their conditioning before they head off to London, and as we know they would eventually bring home the Gold (USA). I've had the opportunity to work with Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade in the past but this would be my first interaction with Kobe. We first met three days before the first scrimmage, on the day of the first practice, early July. It was a brief conversation where we talked about conditioning, where he would like to be by the end of the summer, and we talked a little bit about the hustle of the Select Team. Then he got my number and I let him know that if he ever wanted some extra training he could hit me up any time.

The night before the first scrimmage I remember I had just watched "Casablanca" for the first time and it was about 3:30 AM. I lay in bed, slowly fading away when I hear my cell ring. It was Kobe. I nervously picked up.

"Hey, uhh Rob, I hope I'm not disturbing anything right?"

"Uhh no, what's up Kob?"

"Just wondering if you could just help me out with some conditioning work, that's all."

I checked my clock. 4:15 AM.

"Yeah sure, I'll see you in the facility in a bit."

It took me about twenty minutes to get my gear and out of the hotel. When I arrived and opened the room to the main practice floor I saw Kobe. Alone. He was drenched in sweat as if he had just taken a swim. It wasn't even 5AM.

We did some conditioning work for the next hour and fifteen minutes. Then we entered the weight room, where he would do a multitude of strength training exercises for the next 45 minutes. After that we parted ways and he went back to the practice floor to shoot. I went back to the hotel and crashed. Wow.

I was expected to be at the floor again at about 11 AM. I woke up feeling sleepy, drowsy, and almost pretty much every side effect of sleep deprivation. Thanks, Kobe. I had a bagel and headed to the practice facility.

This next part I remember very vividly. All the Team USA players were there, feeling good for the first scrimmage. LeBron was talking to Carmelo if I remember correctly and Coach Krzyzewski was trying to explain something to Kevin Durant. On the right side of the practice facility was Kobe by himself shooting jumpers. And this is how our next conversation went -- I went over to him, patted him on the back and said, "Good work this morning."

"Huh?"

"Like, the conditioning. Good work."

"Oh. Yeah, thanks Rob. I really appreciate it."

"So when did you finish?"

"Finish what?"

"Getting your shots up. What time did you leave the facility?"

"Oh just now. I wanted 800 makes so yeah, just now."

My jaw dropped. Mother of holy God. It was then that I realized that there's no surprise to why he's been as effective as he was last season. Every story about his dedication, every quote that he's said about hard work all came together and hit me like a train. It's no surprise to me now that he's dunking on players ten years younger than him.

Thanks for reading and allowing me to share you my Kobe Bryant story.

Rob.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Didn't read the obvious puff piece but I know one thing; Wobe's basketball IQ was so low if he truly spent time dedicated to the game he would've been as good as his stans made him out to be.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
while kobe is a hard worker,

he didnt work hard to get where he is at,

when you love doing what you do, there is nothing

hard about it..

and a lot of it is genetics.... tons of people work harder

than he does, and will never make the high school or college

basketball team

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
Didn't read the obvious puff piece but I know one thing; Wobe's basketball IQ was so low if he truly spent time dedicated to the game he would've been as good as his stans made him out to be.

As dedicated as you are to hating Kobe, you didn't even take time to read the article. Pathetic. You're nothing but a sorry excuse for a hater. Cranrab, the Kobe of Kobe-haters, would have had an intelligent response. You just came with "I don't like the way he plays the game." :smh:

Kobe loves to practice. He's so dedicated to devoting time to basketball, he would rather fuck chicks in their asshole than take an extra .3 seconds to stick it into the pussy. devotion.

That doesn't even make sense.

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered

hard about it..

basketball team

You're insane.

Did you read the article? Do you think Allen Iverson or Nate Robinson worked as hard as Kobe? Or the 90+% of NBA players who never make an all-star team? Much less the 99% of all basketball players with hoop dreams?

Yes, there are genetic prerequisites to be in the NBA and, in a vast majority of cases, the players have genetic gifts. But there are a lot of 6'7 baggage handlers. A lot of tall, fast, gifted people who don't even make it. A lot of Andrew Bynums who make it and flame out, not for lack of gifts and talent but lack of focus and determination. A lot of Allen Iversons who are great and legendary but still not Kobe.

Tons of people work harder? Again, did you read the article?

People are ignoring the question I asked but I doubt you have ever worked as hard at anything in your life as Kobe Bryant does at basketball. In his 30s after having made tens of millions. You never worked that hard in your life. And, as Stephen A. Smith would say, you have the gall, the temerity, the utter audacity, outlandishness, foolishness and lack of consciousness and integrity to claim that "tons of people" work as hard at Kobe Bryant? Get the fuck outta here!

Soul On Ice

Democrat 1st!
Certified Pussy Poster
Man when a similar thread like this was posted in the past about Jordan, it was 5 pages of props :smh:
People don't like Kobe so this'll be 2 pages of mostly hate.

Props to Kobe tho. Question the man, but the player is/was a bad man!

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You're insane.

Did you read the article? Do you think Allen Iverson or Nate Robinson worked as hard as Kobe? Or the 90+% of NBA players who never make an all-star team? Much less the 99% of all basketball players with hoop dreams?

Yes, there are genetic prerequisites to be in the NBA and, in a vast majority of cases, the players have genetic gifts. But there are a lot of 6'7 baggage handlers. A lot of tall, fast, gifted people who don't even make it. A lot of Andrew Bynums who make it and flame out, not for lack of gifts and talent but lack of focus and determination. A lot of Allen Iversons who are great and legendary but still not Kobe.

People are ignoring the question I asked but I doubt you have ever worked as hard at anything in your life as Kobe Bryant does at basketball. In his 30s after having made tens of millions. You never worked that hard in your life. And, as Stephen A. Smith would say, you have the gall, the temerity, the utter audacity, outlandishness, foolishness and lack of consciousness and integrity to claim that "tons of people" work as hard at Kobe Bryant? Get the fuck outta here!

dude he puts a fuckin ball in a fuckin hoop, he jumps higher and runs faster than most people in the world..

I once had to lead school children through war torn Laos...

so dont tell me about hard fuckin work muthafucka..

ok Im lyin about the school children and shit...

but you get my point...

RepostKing

Back up Modrator
Registered
at first I was going to troll this post, well, because that's what I do. But then I thought about it and realized I have the same devotion when it comes to real-estate investing. After buying my first property then using the equity to by a duplex I was hooked. 10 units later I make more in passive income than I do at my job.

I'm addicted to real-estate, this aint work to me. I listen to podcast all day long on real estate investing, more than music actually.

Last edited:

D Kline

PROUD BLACK AMERICAN !
Registered
Excellent article. They will miss His Greatness when He's gone.

Got my tickets for when the Kobe show comes to town. :dance:

Many want the glory, the money and the women yet they hate the work.

People are lazy as fuck .

D-TOWN REP

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You're insane.

Don't play Iverson like that

He the best 6 foot player or under the NBA has seen besides Isaiah Thomas

If he was 6'6 then yeah he could be right up there with Kobe I really believe that

He was just as fierce the competitor if not more

I've never seen him quit we've seen Kobe quit a couple times

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
at first I was going to troll this post, well, because that's what I do. But then I thought about it and realized I have the same devotion when it comes to real-estate investing. After buying my first property then using the equity to by a duplex I was hooked. 10 units later I make more in passive income than I do at my job.

I'm addicted to real-estate, this aint work to me. I listen to podcast all day long on real estate investing, more than music actually.

:cool:

I can't verify, obviously, but this is what I was looking for in this thread.

I loved what I do years ago but I'm not working at it like that anymore. I never did on some 5 AM shit.

But I don't want to wake up in 20 years wishing I worked harder with time that I don't have anymore.

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered

If he was 6'6 then yeah he could be right up there with Kobe I really believe that

I don't believe that.

Kobe quitting in a game is something different entirely. Whether it was him being stubborn, proving a point to management/coaching/teammates/media/whatever-- that's the long game and it's something different entirely.

We're not talking about games.

We're talking about practice.

We're talking about work ethic. We're talking about putting yourself in a position to be the best. Doing the hard grunt work when nobody is looking.

Maybe I'm wrong-- I don't know Iverson like that. I wasn't in that gym with him or his teammates. But I've never heard people talk about him like Kobe and I don't get the impression that he has the same type of work ethic.

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
dude he puts a fuckin ball in a fuckin hoop, he jumps higher and runs faster than most people in the world...

There are a lot of genetically gifted people in the NBA.

But I'm not convinced Kobe is in the top 10% of shooting guards ever in terms of genetics and physical talent. But he's, by consensus, in the top .0001% of shooting guards ever.

Is he really that much more gifted than Latrell Sprewell, Jamal Crawford, Lamar Odom, etc, etc, etc?

Yes, he "puts a fuckin ball in a fuckin hoop." Obviously. We all know what basketball players do. I don't know what you do but I think Kobe works harder at putting a fuckin ball in a fuckin hoop than 99% of people who have ever put a fuckin ball in a fuckin hoop.

I don't think he's in the gym before 5 AM because it's meaningless and he can just coast off of natural ability. If it was just about running the fastest and jumping the highest, the only NBA draft busts would be due to injury. Beyond that, they'd draft the best guy and know he was going to be the best his entire career because he runs faster and jumps higher. But it's more than that.

I once had to lead school children through war torn Laos...

so dont tell me about hard fuckin work muthafucka..

ok Im lyin about the school children and shit...

but you get my point...

Just answer the question honestly. Your deflection speaks volumes.

I say Kobe works harder at basketball than you ever have at anything and you respond with ducktales and by belittling basketball as an occupation.

But the point and question remain. Have you ever worked that hard at anything? Have you ever even known anyone who did?

Big Philly

Rising Star
Registered

hard about it..

basketball team
In 1992 I was hired to run the pool at the Jewish Community Center in Wynnewood Pa right on the border of Philly. Joe Bryant had just been hired to run the weight room there. I was 4 years out of college where I had been an all conference shooting guard so Joe and I talked a lot. He told me about Kobe and that he was no mistake. He married a tall girl with basketball genes (Pam Bryant is 6'1" and is the sister of John "Chubby" Cox who played at USF and Villanova before getting a cup of coffee with the Bulls). He had kids until he had a boy then immersed him in basketball first while he was with the 76ers then overseas.

A couple of weeks later when Kobe finally came to the gym he was in 8th grade and he was doing a workout routine of the type that I hadn't done until I got to college. He came every day and sometimes with his two cousins (John Cox jr. who followed his dad to USF and another cousin who was built like Kobe and was the same height but I forget his name and don't know what happened to him) We started to play one on one and at first I was too much man for him but by the time he was in 11th grade I only wanted to play h-o-r-s-e.

Even when Kobe was rated as the top high school player in the country and he was taking Brandy on the prom he showed up and worked out. I'm sure its partly genetic with Joe being 6'9" 1/2 and Pam being 6'1" but he worked as hard as anyone. There may be someone out there working as hard as Kobe but no one was working harder. He got the most out of his situation and everything came together perfectly for him.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
In 1992 I was hired to run the pool at the Jewish Community Center in Wynnewood Pa right on the border of Philly. Joe Bryant had just been hired to run the weight room there. I was 4 years out of college where I had been an all conference shooting guard so Joe and I talked a lot. He told me about Kobe and that he was no mistake. He married a tall girl with basketball genes (Pam Bryant is 6'1" and is the sister of John "Chubby" Cox who played at USF and Villanova before getting a cup of coffee with the Bulls). He had kids until he had a boy then immersed him in basketball first while he was with the 76ers then overseas.

A couple of weeks later when Kobe finally came to the gym he was in 8th grade and he was doing a workout routine of the type that I hadn't done until I got to college. He came every day and sometimes with his two cousins (John Cox jr. who followed his dad to USF and another cousin who was built like Kobe and was the same height but I forget his name and don't know what happened to him) We started to play one on one and at first I was too much man for him but by the time he was in 11th grade I only wanted to play h-o-r-s-e.

Even when Kobe was rated as the top high school player in the country and he was taking Brandy on the prom he showed up and worked out. I'm sure its partly genetic with Joe being 6'9" 1/2 and Pam being 6'1" but he worked as hard as anyone. There may be someone out there working as hard as Kobe but no one was working harder. He got the most out of his situationa and everything came together perfectly for him.

rating_5.gif

:lol: @ "At first I was too much man for him but by the time he was in 11th grade I only wanted to play h-o-r-s-e."

Kobe's cousin "I forgot his name" is exactly the point that I was trying to make to Mrfreddygotbitter. There are a lot of tall guys out there who are just as fast and can jump just as high. Genetics might get you in the door but they won't carry you onto the court and certainly won't make you great.

Even LeBron-- I believe he is far more athletically gifted than Kobe but you can't just chalk it all up to that. Being one of the smartest players ever with all those abilities has a lot to do with his greatness.

"There may be someone out there working as hard as Kobe but no one was working harder."-- You don't hear that about everyone. I've never heard that about A.I. Hell, I've never heard that about LeBron. Everybody ain't lying. Kobe's work ethic is what sets him apart.

Now imagine that tenacity and drive applied to other fields. It's not as easy to observe but it makes the difference for a lot of people.

Maxxam

Rising Star
Platinum Member
"So when did you finish?"

"Finish what?"

"Getting your shots up. What time did you leave the facility?"

"Oh just now. I wanted 800 makes so yeah, just now."

:lol:

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

There are a lot of genetically gifted people in the NBA.

But I'm not convinced Kobe is in the top 10% of shooting guards ever in terms of genetics and physical talent. But he's, by consensus, in the top .0001% of shooting guards ever.

Is he really that much more gifted than Latrell Sprewell, Jamal Crawford, Lamar Odom, etc, etc, etc?

Yes, he "puts a fuckin ball in a fuckin hoop." Obviously. We all know what basketball players do. I don't know what you do but I think Kobe works harder at putting a fuckin ball in a fuckin hoop than 99% of people who have ever put a fuckin ball in a fuckin hoop.

I don't think he's in the gym before 5 AM because it's meaningless and he can just coast off of natural ability. If it was just about running the fastest and jumping the highest, the only NBA draft busts would be due to injury. Beyond that, they'd draft the best guy and know he was going to be the best his entire career because he runs faster and jumps higher. But it's more than that.

Just answer the question honestly. Your deflection speaks volumes.

I say Kobe works harder at basketball than you ever have at anything and you respond with ducktales and by belittling basketball as an occupation.

But the point and question remain. Have you ever worked that hard at anything? Have you ever even known anyone who did?

well so, kobe is a social retard, if I was a social retard I would probably work hard at one thing to, to take my mind of the fact

Im a social retard..

most social retards are successful and work hard at one thing,

kanye west, bill gates, kobe byrant, so yes you are correct,

but its obvious you know nothing about social retards..

I respect that fact that kobe came to terms that he is a social

retard, and dont give a fuck, its like this is me, either you accept it

or dont...

gotta respect it..

but dont have to respect the fact that you know nothing of social retards..

and social retards usually work hard at one thing to make up for the fact they are social retards

mike jordan the biggest social retard in the game....

Now Lebron James is the exact opposite of a social retard..

and he is my Pick for someone that works harder than kobe

ON and OFF the field...

wanting me to compare myself to a social retard,

you gotta a lot of fuckin nerve buddy..

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Even when Kobe was rated as the top high school player in the country and he was taking Brandy on the prom he showed up and worked out. I'm sure its partly genetic with Joe being 6'9" 1/2 and Pam being 6'1" but he worked as hard as anyone. There may be someone out there working as hard as Kobe but no one was working harder. He got the most out of his situation and everything came together perfectly for him.

cool,

so you saying we both right, but you know for a fact kobe works hard..

coool..

buuuuut...

Is he a social retard???

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
With all that practice, how come is shooting efficiency has always been so low? How come he never created a signature move not based off someone else?

They are creating this mythical athlete , that was never as great as the generated image. Shaq was finals MVP three times, and fuck the media vote Pau Gasol deserved at least one if not both of the other two.

Damn is top ten player of all time not a high enough regard, I wish these writers would stop slurping Kobe so damn hard when he hasn't even played in two years, while fiscally locking his team down for the future.

Get paid, but damn help the team out too

D Kline

PROUD BLACK AMERICAN !
Registered
With all that practice, how come is shooting efficiency has always been so low? How come he never created a signature move not based off someone else?

They are creating this mythical athlete , that was never as great as the generated image. Shaq was finals MVP three times, and fuck the media vote Pau Gasol deserved at least one if not both of the other two.

Damn is top ten player of all time not a high enough regard, I wish these writers would stop slurping Kobe so damn hard when he hasn't even played in two years, while fiscally locking his team down for the future.

Nigga shut up. Y'all did the same shit in terms of jock riding for Jordan and now Lebron.

Built4Life

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You can't negatively criticize someone for having an excellent work ethic. It is easy to be that way when you do something you love which most people will never have the chance in all honesty. If you say otherwise then you aren't observant of the world you live in.
So props to Kobe. Yes he is genetically gifted. That only gets you so far. Plenty of other NBA players should follow suit. Cats like Jamal Crawford basically said he never practiced his game until a few years ago which is pathetic, but he still made his cash and probably would be a better player if he did. Not everyone has the same desires, and I am sure that plenty of cats don't love basketball like Kobe. They have other interests and his vision is singular. I would think that with that attitude he would have been a better passer or better at making his teammates better. Jordan didn't do it. They relied on Pippen to do. So maybe it is his maniacal love for basketball that makes him a great individual player but not the greatest teammate.

Sent from Nexus

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
well so, kobe is a social retard, if I was a social retard I would probably work hard at one thing to, to take my mind of the fact

Im a social retard..

most social retards are successful and work hard at one thing,

kanye west, bill gates, kobe byrant, so yes you are correct,

but its obvious you know nothing about social retards..

I respect that fact that kobe came to terms that he is a social

retard, and dont give a fuck, its like this is me, either you accept it

or dont...

gotta respect it..

but dont have to respect the fact that you know nothing of social retards..

and social retards usually work hard at one thing to make up for the fact they are social retards

mike jordan the biggest social retard in the game....

Now Lebron James is the exact opposite of a social retard..

and he is my Pick for someone that works harder than kobe

ON and OFF the field...

wanting me to compare myself to a social retard,

you gotta a lot of fuckin nerve buddy..
Got it. You don't work as hard as him because you have friends. :rolleyes:

Whatever. Make your excuses but the question is whether you've ever had that sort of dedication. Whether you'd rather hang with the boyz, chase women or play N64, the answer is obviously NO for you.

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered

This isn't a Kobe versus Jordan thread... Top 10 is more than enough. Or top 20. Imagine being among the 20 best at something which hundreds of thousands-- if not millions-- have aspired to.

And many of those hundreds of thousands had every bit as much potential as him if not more.

Smoke Van Gundy

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Props to Bean

I remember when the Lakeshow was in the middle of that 3 peat run. Kobe would be in the gym 2 3 hours before anyone else working on his shot.

DirtyCake

Superstar *****
Platinum Member

Thanks for not making me spaz on you my nigga :lol: