Harlem's restaurant supply owner shoots two dead after botched robbery

ganjababy

Rising Star
Platinum Member
A shotgun-wielding owner of a Harlem restaurant-supply company blasted two robbers to death and wounded two others on Thursday when he caught them pistol-whipping his employee, police said.

Turning the tables on the brutish bandits, 72-year-old Charles (Gus) Augusto opened fire with a 12-gauge shotgun he kept handy for such occasions, cops and witnesses said.

"He's been robbed before, so I'm not totally amazed," said Stefany Blyn, who rents a space above the store from Augusto.

"They ran into some tough stuff today," witness Vernon McKenzie, 48, said of the stickup men, including one whose bloody corpse was splayed on the sidewalk in front of Augusto's store on W. 125th St. near Amsterdam Ave.
The robbers stormed into the business, Kaplan Brothers Blue Flame, just after 3 p.m. demanding cash.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/08/13/2009-08-13_harlem_biz_owner.html

Last edited:

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
I applaud the old man for sticking up for his shit. No backing down, too bad he is going to be charged with a Misd for the shoot gun not being registered but who cares he protected his shit.

gameboy

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i wish that double decker tour bus would have been riding down 125th at the time,,, you know how all those white tourist be on the bus riding through harlem scared like it's a zoo exhibit,,, would have loved to see their facial expressions

BlackRob

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
39135a2672f74ddb2fbe13a6bf716934.jpg

Four brothas with guns let some 'ol white dude get the jump on them.

No one was watching??

Shurnuff

5 More Years Bitches!!
OG Investor

No one was watching??

Usually Dumb ass wanna be gangster thugs have no plan. :(
So them getting shot and caught is of no surprise!
The streets will not miss them!!

Darrkman

Hollis, Queens = Center of the Universe
BGOL Investor
The rest of the story is hilarious:

Blue Flame owner kills two: Harlem's restaurant supply owner shoots two dead after botched robbery

BY Kerry Burke, Alison Gendar and Bill Hutchinson
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Friday, August 14th 2009, 5:07 AM
Keivom/News

Charles Augusto, (in blue shirt and white T-shirt) owner of the Kaplan Brothers Blue Flame Co. is led out after apparently shooting four people with a shotgun during a robbery.

A shotgun-wielding owner of a Harlem restaurant-supply company blasted two robbers to death and wounded two others on Thursday when he caught them pistol-whipping his employee, police said.

Turning the tables on the brutish bandits, 72-year-old Charles (Gus) Augusto opened fire with a 12-gauge shotgun he kept handy for such occasions, cops and witnesses said.

"He's been robbed before, so I'm not totally amazed," said Stefany Blyn, who rents a space above the store from Augusto.

"They ran into some tough stuff today," witness Vernon McKenzie, 48, said of the stickup men, including one whose bloody corpse was splayed on the sidewalk in front of Augusto's store on W. 125th St. near Amsterdam Ave.

The robbers stormed into the business, Kaplan Brothers Blue Flame, just after 3 p.m. demanding cash.

"He did a large cash business," a police source said. "They were probably watching the place and made a move after a sell."

Neighbors said Augusto, who was not charged last night, had sold a stove earlier in the day.

The stickup crew - three 21-year-olds and a 29-year-old - came prepared with a pistol and plastic handcuffs. They tried to tie up two of Augusto's employees - a 35-year-old man and his 47-year-old female co-worker, said Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne.

"The male employee started to struggle, and then, as he did that, the perp with the gun struck him once in the head," Browne said.

"... That's when the owner opened fire with the shotgun."

As the bandits bolted from the store, Augusto squeezed off three blasts from the pistol-grip shotgun from 20 to 30 feet away from the pistol-whipped employee.

He was deadly accurate. The four bandits - who were all from Manhattan - were hit.

Two of the robbers were struck in the back. One, identified as James Morgan, dropped dead inside the store among the sparkling gas stoves, a pistol near his body.

The other - Raylin Footmon, a nephew of a cop in the NYPD's 25th Precinct - made it across the street before collapsing on the sidewalk, police and witnesses said. He was later pronounced dead at St. Luke's Hospital.

The furious employee who had been pistol-whipped ran out of the store and leaned over the mortally wounded Footmon, cursing at him, witnesses said.

The worker went back into the store and dragged Morgan's body onto the sidewalk, yelling at him and kicking him, witnesses said.

"He stood over the body cursing him and shaking him, even though he was dead," said Matthew Viane, 38, who lives in the neighborhood. "He was screaming at him and stomping him. "He [the employee] said, 'You were going to kill me? Now you're dead!'"

Viane said he overheard the 35-year-old employee - whom cops took away from the scene in handcuffs, but later released - thanking Augusto.

"Gus, you saved my life. You saved my life," Viane quoted the worker as saying.

A man who worked at Blue Flame a couple of years ago unloading trucks said Augusto was just sticking up for himself.

"He's a respectable businessman. ... He wouldn't hurt a fly. He found a deer by his house and nursed him back to health. He loves animals," said the man, who declined to give his name.

Cops followed a bloody trail to Amsterdam Ave., where they found the third suspect, Bernard Whitherspoon. He was in police custody last night at St. Luke's where he was being treated for his wounds. He was in stable condition.

The remaining robbery suspect, Shamel McCloud, was nabbed at 128th St. and St. Nicholas Terrace after being identified by a witness. He was also in stable condition at St. Luke's last night.

Augusto told cops he bought his shotgun after a robbery nearly 30 years ago. Browne said it was unclear Thursday night if Augusto has a license for the weapon.

"He's being treated as a witness and the victim of an attempted robbery," Browne said of Augusto. "He has not been arrested or charged."

A police source said that if Augusto is hit with a charge, it will be a minor one. "It doesn't look too bad for him," the source said.

whutchinson@nydailynews.com

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Brotha was pissed!!

Acur

wannabe star
Registered

No one was watching??

Fuck them. I'm he put that thug down. He even kept it real and talk to the thug after. He should have woke the thug up and did it again. :dance:

Acur

wannabe star
Registered
:(:(:(....for the loss of life.

But.....:dance: for the right to defend your shit!

You are sad because some young thug lost their life you are sick. It would have been them or the hardworking owner. It was classic how he talked to him after. :lol:

babalou

Star
Registered
The shotgun was 20 yrs old but still worked just fine:

cop_carries_shotgun.jpg

Pistol grip pump on my lap at all times

them dudes fucked with the WRONG old man and got their asses served. I'm sure Satan had a "welcome home" party for them bitch-ass niggas.

bborn

Rising Star
Registered
peace

Fuck the pics of ole Gus.....
I wanna see and they shouldve showed that pic of one of the dudes that got pistol whipped in that shop (Black), standing over one of them youngbuoys who caught them buckshots, berating him b4 he died.
The furious employee who had been pistol-whipped ran out of the store and leaned over the mortally wounded Footmon, cursing at him, witnesses said.

The worker went back into the store and dragged Morgan's body onto the sidewalk, yelling at him and kicking him, witnesses said.

"He stood over the body cursing him and shaking him, even though he was dead," said Matthew Viane, 38, who lives in the neighborhood. "He was screaming at him and stomping him. "He [the employee] said, 'You were going to kill me? Now you're dead!'"

Viane said he overheard the 35-year-old employee - whom cops took away from the scene in handcuffs, but later released - thanking Augusto.
:hmm: but :lol:
TakeThat3x

peace

Heist

Rising Star
Registered
Just another reason why I always say - A SHOTGUN IS THE BEST HOME/PERSONAL DEFENSE WEAPON period.

You can load it with several types of ammo. Anything from non-deadly rocksalt and stingy birdshot ... to big ass magnum slugs.

You don't need accurate aim.

You don't need to even see your target.

You just need to point the muzzle in the general direction and anything within 50 ft is going to catch hell.

Hell, most of the time you don't even need to shoot at them. One "Chick-chk" of the action is enough to get people to stop in their tracks. A warning shot in the air makes most people trickle a little pee down their leg.

Fuck it. I hope they don't charge his ass either. It's been a minute, but I thought Shotgun were legal to own in NYC -- you didn't need a permit or license for them.

marcvoi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i wish that double decker tour bus would have been riding down 125th at the time,,, you know how all those white tourist be on the bus riding through harlem scared like it's a zoo exhibit,,, would have loved to see their facial expressions

no joke they probably did past by lol. during the week of michael jackson's funeral I saw saw so many double deck buses cheering and shit passing by at such an alarming rate . LOL

Cock Head Jones

Rising Star
Registered
You just need to point the muzzle in the general direction and anything within 50 ft is going to catch hell.

I agree with the shotgun being the best home/ personal defense weapon but that "just point the muzzle" thing is exaggeration.