Hal Willner: music producer and SNL supervisor dies aged 64

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Hal Willner: music producer and SNL supervisor dies aged 64
Willner, who produced albums for Lou Reed and Marianne Faithfull, was said to be experiencing symptoms consistent with the coronavirus
Laura Snapes
Wed 8 Apr 2020 04.34 EDTLast modified on Wed 8 Apr 2020 05.21 EDT
Shares
Comments

‘Gentle genius’ … Hal Willner performing in New York in 2007. Photograph: Bill Tompkins/Getty Images

The music producer and long-term Saturday Night Live music supervisor Hal Willner has died aged 64. No cause of death has been confirmed, but he was said to be experiencing symptoms consistent with the coronavirus.

“Some people are such a gift to the world,” Judd Apatow tweeted in tribute. “They just put good stuff out there and make our lives better.”

Willner started work as sketch music producer at SNL in 1981. Seinfeld and Veep star Julia Louis-Dreyfus, who was an SNL cast member from 1982-85, paid tribute to Willner on Twitter: “Absolutely devastated to get this news about my weird and lovely pal, Hal. We are heartbroken.”

Paula Pell, an SNL writer from 1993-2003, tweeted: “Hal Willner was the gentlest genius at SNL. He bemoaned artists abandoning weirdness and authenticity but never gave up searching for it. We love you forever. Fuck off this disease and especially its enablers.”
Advertisement

As a producer, Willner worked on albums by Lou Reed (Ecstasy, The Raven, Lulu), which led to the pair becoming “kind of best friends”, Willner told the New York Times in 2017. “[Reed] did not accept that he was going to die. Bowie did. Leonard [Cohen] did. Lou just ranted. He just loved being alive.”

Willner also produced the album Strange Weather for Marianne Faithfull – who was recently hospitalised with symptoms of the coronavirus. His work on the record led Americana star Lucinda Williams to ask Willner to produce her 2007 album, West.

He was also known for his idiosyncratic covers albums. In 1980, he produced Amarcord Nino Rota, an album of jazz covers of music from Fellini films, featuring artists including Debbie Harry and Chris Stein of Blondie, trumpeter Wynton Marsalis and guitarist Bill Frisell.

Sinéad O’Connor, Sun Ra and His Arkestra, and the Replacements played on 1988’s Stay Awake: Various Interpretations of Music from Vintage Disney Films. Leonard Cohen, Chuck D, Diamanda Galás, Keith Richard and Charlie Watts were among the stars who performed on 1992’s Weird Nightmare: Meditations on Mingus, which featured instruments designed and built by the American composer Harry Partch.

Joan Jett, who performed on an as-yet-unreleased T-Rex tribute album curated by Willner, tweeted that he was a great producer: “The music industry has lost an incredible member of our community.”

He was said to have played a key role in the career of Jeff Buckley, inviting him to a 1991 tribute concert for Buckley’s father, Tim, which introduced him to the New York music scene that would launch his career.

In 2017, he told the New York Times he was worried the culture that had defined his life was becoming less important. “I don’t know what inspires people now,” he said.

“Maybe they don’t need to be inspired in that way. Do these last two generations have heroes? I’m not sure they do. I go to Avenue A now and listen to what people are talking about, and it isn’t culture.

“When John Lennon died, I couldn’t go to work for two days. I wonder if they have someone that they look at like that – an author, a poet, whatever. Those are people who made us what we are.”

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Last week, long-time Saturday Night Live music producer Hal Willner passed away at the age of 64, after experiencing symptoms consistent with the novel coronavirus. This weekend, SNL writers and cast members, current and former, harmonized remotely for a rendition of “Perfect Day” by Lou Reed. The late musician had befriended Willner while the latter worked under New York record producer Joel Dorn in the late ‘70s. After joining Saturday Night Live in 1980, Willner scored the show’s sketches until his death, in addition to organizing eclectic concerts and musical collaborations on both coasts.

“Everything at SNL happens really quickly, except some of the sketches the writers write are more cinematic in quality, and so they need to be scored more like a movie in order for them to make sense and make the jokes land,” Kate McKinnon explained at the end of Saturday’s episode. “On SNL, the guy who scores it only has a few hours. The guy who scores it is Hal Willner, and we lost him this week.”

In the tribute, McKinnon, Adam Sandler, Bill Hader, Kenan Thompson, John Mulaney, Fred Armisen and Pete Davidson shared memories of Willner, while alums like Tina Fey, Maya Rudolph, Amy Poehler, Paula Pell, Molly Shannon and Rachel Dratch sang along.

Says Mulaney, “I don’t know why someone who was already friends with Miles Davis had a big enough heart to include me in their life, but he did.” Concludes Davidson, “I’ve been through a lot over the last six years, especially as being part of the show, and Hal always has always treated me, open arms and warm smile, and was always the funniest dude. Just want to say he will be very well-missed, and we’re all thinking about you. We love you very much.”

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Hal Willner, 'SNL' Staple And Acclaimed Music Producer, Has Died
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Flipboard
  • Email
April 7, 20205:44 PM ET
ANASTASIA TSIOULCAS
TwitterFacebookInstagramTumblr

Hal Willner, onstage at the Celebrate Brooklyn! music festival in Brooklyn, New York in 2007.

Bill Tompkins/Getty Images

The creatively voracious music producer Hal Willner, who for decades selected the music used in "Saturday Night Live" sketches, died Tuesday, one day after his 64th birthday. He had symptoms consistent with those caused by COVID-19.

Along with his work at "SNL" — where he began in 1980 — Willner was a multifaceted presence in the music community, earning fans and drawing critical praise for his work as a live event and record producer.

A message he posted on Twitter on March 28 suggested that he was suffering from COVID-19. "I always wanted to have a number one - but not this," he wrote alongside a map that shows New York as the epicenter of the coronavirus crisis in the U.S., adding: "In bed on upper west side."
Hal Willner: In Memoriam

Since 1980, Willner was responsible for selecting the music used in "Saturday Night Live" skits. He also was the music coordinator for a short-lived "SNL" offshoot called "Sunday Night" (later called "Night Music"), a jazz showcase hosted by Jools Holland and David Sanborn.

But he was perhaps best known as the curator of incredibly wide-ranging tribute projects, and for bringing vastly eclectic creative personalities together. As a 2017 New York Times profile put it, "If you see Mikhail Baryshnikov moving to the novelty song "They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!" or Conway Twitty sharing a bill with the Kronos Quartet and the cult experimental band the Residents, chances are Mr. Willner was behind it."

Some of his most admired recorded projects include 1985's Lost in the Stars and 1995's September Songs, two tribute albums to composer Kurt Weill that included William S. Burroughs, Elvis Costello, Charlie Haden, P.J. Harvey, Lou Reed, Tom Waits and John Zorn, among many others, as well as 1988's Stay Awake, an eclectic homage to old Disney tunes performed by such disparate talents as Sun Ra and his Arkestra, Ringo Starr, Michael Stipe and the Replacements. His first such project was Amarcord Nino Rota, from 1981, featuring such acclaimed jazz musicians as Jaki Byard, Muhal Richard Abrams, Bill Frisell and Carla Bley.

Additionally, he produced full albums for Reed, Laurie Anderson, Marianne Faithfull, Lucinda Williams and Frisell, as well as Allen Ginsberg.
His musical curiosity seemed to know no bounds: He produced two albums that featured such rock icons as Tom Waits, Keith Richards, Patti Smith, Iggy Pop, Marianne Faithfull and Shane MacGowan, among many others, singing pirate songs and sea shanties.

No official cause of death was given at time of publication.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

See ‘SNL’ Alum Pay Tribute to Hal Willner With ‘Perfect Day’ Cover

Adam Sandler, John Mulaney, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler and more remember show’s longtime music producer who died April 7th from COVID-19 complications

By
DANIEL KREPS

Saturday Night Live cast members and alumni paid tribute to the show’s longtime music producer Hal Willner with a group performance of “Perfect Day,” a song by Willner’s good friend Lou Reed.

Former cast members like Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Maya Rudolph and Molly Shannon participated in the socially distanced rendition of “Perfect Day,” while Adam Sandler, John Mulaney, Bill Hader, Fred Armisen and more provided video remembrances of Willner, who died April 7th at the age of 64 after suffering from symptoms consistent with the coronavirus.

“I’ve been through a lot of the last six years, especially as being part of the show, and Hal always treated me [with] open arms and warm smile, and was always just the funniest dude,” Pete Davidson said.

Mulaney added, “I don’t know why someone who was already friends with Miles Davis had a big enough heart to include me in their life, but he did.”

The tribute also featured clips of Willner talking about his role at SNL and why he loved it. “When it’s all working, there’s nothing like it,” Willner said. “I kinda get off on the danger… This could really [fuck] up, or this is gonna be so magical.”

In the days following Willner’s death, the beloved musical figure has also been remembered by artists and collaborators like Metallica, Nick Cave and Elvis Costello.