First Colonoscopy Completed

MasonPH650

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Hey fam! Just finished my first colonoscopy yesterday, and it was the experiences of others on the board that helped to alleviate my biggest concerns. The hardest part, honestly, was not being able to eat solid food for a full day. The worst part of the actual procedure was difficulty inserting the IV due to dehydration making the veins hard to raise.

But I have no memory of the actual procedure. One minute I'm on my side in the surgery suite waiting for the Propofol to kick and the next I'm waking up in the recovery room. Just like with general anesthesia, you don't remember dozing off or having a sense of time passage. From your point of view it's essentially instantaneous. No polyps found and my next procedure is in ten years.

There really is no reason not to get it done.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Unfamiliar username I'm guessing OP rarely posts, but decided to post today just to tell us that he had a doctor dig in his ass?

the-office-walk-away.gif

MasonPH650

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Unfamiliar username I'm guessing OP rarely posts, but decided to post today just to tell us that he had a doctor dig in his ass?

the-office-walk-away.gif
That's right. I do rarely post, but I've been on this board since 1997 and have supported it financially for years. I'm more concerned about black men and women dying from a preventable disease because of unfounded fear than being ragged on by some idiot more concerned about appearing manly than saving lives.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Hey fam! Just finished my first colonoscopy yesterday, and it was the experiences of others on the board that helped to alleviate my biggest concerns. The hardest part, honestly, was not being able to eat solid food for a full day. The worst part of the actual procedure was difficulty inserting the IV due to dehydration making the veins hard to raise.

But I have no memory of the actual procedure. One minute I'm on my side in the surgery suite waiting for the Propofol to kick and the next I'm waking up in the recovery room. Just like with general anesthesia, you don't remember dozing off or having a sense of time passage. From your point of view it's essentially instantaneous. No polyps found and my next procedure is in ten years.

Glad to hear that you got it done and glad that the board helped you get to the procedure.

That's the biggest part, thinking about it and getting it done.

The most difficult part to most is the prep, the actual procedure's the easy part.

Glad that you got it done, glad that there was no polyps and glad that you came back to share how the board helped!

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That's right. I do rarely post, but I've been on this board since 1997 and have supported it financially for years. I'm more concerned about black men and women dying from a preventable disease because of unfounded fear than being ragged on by some idiot more concerned about appearing manly than saving lives.

Damn, now I'm kinda saddened that I had such kind words for you :lol:

Regardless I'm glad that you got it done and glad that you're in the clear!

And yes, we ALL need to get colonoscopies!

For future reference I'm not and idiot and not concerned with appearing manly.

What I am is a person that jokes.

MasonPH650

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
And my joke brought life to this thread so we both saved lives and I'm off to save more!

giphy.gif
Trust me, I've been on the board long enough to understand the inherent danger of making a post like that. LOL! But I've also spoken to many of my close friends who are over 50 by a few years and still haven't gotten it done. Discussing my experience has already lead two to schedule their appointments. If I can convince one person on the board it was worth it.

MasonPH650

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Damn, now I'm kinda saddened that I had such kind words for you :lol:

Regardless I'm glad that you got it done and glad that you're in the clear!

And yes, we ALL need to get colonoscopies!

For future reference I'm not and idiot and not concerned with appearing manly.

What I am is a person that jokes.
No problem Bro! LOL!

Kaotic

Dancing with the devil in the pale moon light...
Platinum Member

Props to you for having your procedure done... Too many of us black men fall victim to colon and prostate cancers because we fear the procedures. Had my first one two years ago... More of us need to promote selfcare and health awareness to those that look like "us", especially your close ones.

This part though "But I have no memory of the actual procedure." They DEFINITELY Bill Cosby yo ass in there... You don't remember nothing!
:lol: :lol:

MasonPH650

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
it's not a big deal getting it done
the prep is the hard part
Indeed! My prep was two Dulcolac pills at 3pm the day before, followed by 32 ounces of Gatorade mixed with Miralax an hour later. Two more Dulcolax at 8pm, then the final two Dulcolax and the remaining 32 ounces of Gatorade/Miralax around three in the morning.

Sixty four ounce of Miralax mixed with Gatorade or your favorite non-red drink of choice sounds a lot easier than the gallon of salty prep I've heard about in the past. However, it's still a lot of liquid to put down.

Last edited:

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Trust me, I've been on the board long enough to understand the inherent danger of making a post like that. LOL! But I've also spoken to many of my close friends who are over 50 by a few years and still haven't gotten it done. Discussing my experience has already lead two to schedule their appointments. If I can convince one person on the board it was worth it.

One of the things that makes this board special is personal threads to help people.

No one's gonna make jokes about someone getting a colonoscopy except for...

Me!
j-jbtzxclsv-lol-jbtzxclsv-laugh.gif

And the joke wasn't even about getting a colonoscopy.

But yes, spread that awareness and educate people on colonoscopies because we all need to get one.

The saddest thing about colon cancer is it's damn near 100% preventable. People just have to get colonoscopies.

Keep up the good work and keep spreading the awareness and info!

kesq

Rising Star
Platinum Member
One of the things that makes this board special is personal threads to help people.

No one's gonna make jokes about someone getting a colonoscopy except for...

Me!
j-jbtzxclsv-lol-jbtzxclsv-laugh.gif

And the joke wasn't even about getting a colonoscopy.

But yes, spread that awareness and educate people on colonoscopies because we all need to get one.

The saddest thing about colon cancer is it's damn near 100% preventable. People just have to get colonoscopies.

Keep up the good work and keep spreading the awareness and info!
You can stop.

MasonPH650

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So a group of men sat around in a circle like a rectum discussing getting their assholes opened and that made you decide that you needed to join in?
tumblr_m7otno8WVF1qkiabg.gif

I'm sorry @MasonPH650

Yes the joke was childish and unnecessary but I couldn't help it :roflmao:
No worse than the joke the anesthesiologist told me before putting me under. Something like you know diarrhea is genetic, right? Yeah, it runs in your jeans.

RUDY RAYYY MO

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Indeed! My prep was two Dulcolac pills at 3pm the day before, followed by 32 ounces of Gatorade mixed with Miralax an hour later. Two more Dulcolax at 8pm, then the final two Dulcolax and the remaining 32 ounces of Gatorade/Miralax around three in the morning.

Sixty four ounce of Miralax mixed with Gatorade or your favorite non-red drink of choice sounds a lot easier than the gallon of salty prep I've heard about in the past. However, it's still a lot of liquid to put down.
The prep sucks. I need to stop bullshitting and get it done, I did the fecal test last year came back negative. But I was advised to get a colonoscopy cause it more thorough and colon cancer runs in my fam.

During my mother in laws colonoscopy four polyps were found, they were removed same-day

MasonPH650

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The prep sucks. I need to stop bullshitting and get it done, I did the fecal test last year came back negative. But I was advised to get a colonoscopy cause it more thorough and colon cancer runs in my fam.

During my mother in laws colonoscopy four polyps were found, they were removed same-day
Honestly. I would say the prep was nowhere near as bad as I expected. I think the new prep alternatives are a game changer. I was starving the day of prep, but wasn't that hungry the morning of the procedure.

If you have a family history you definitely need to get it done.

HellBoy

Black Cam Girls -> BlackCamZ.Com
Platinum Member
I've never had this procedure done. In 2019 I got the cologuard test that came back clear. My doctor recommended that since I dont have a family history of colon cancer. What is the determining factor for going the traditional route?

MasonPH650

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I've never had this procedure done. In 2019 I got the cologuard test that came back clear. My doctor recommended that since I dont have a family history of colon cancer. What is the determining factor for going the traditional route?
Cologuard detects the altered DNA that could be indicative of cancer or blood due to a burst polyp. But if your polyps aren't bleeding they could be missed. I think the biggest issue is that it may not detect the polyps that eventually turn cancerous.

mrcmd187

Controversy Creates Cash
BGOL Investor
All jokes aside this is nothing to play with, I kept putting it of but, when family members started dropping out of nowhere from it one right before her 25th birthday I went ahead and got it done. Seems like as soon as people got diagnosed things went straight downhill :smh:

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
All jokes aside this is nothing to play with, I kept putting it of but, when family members started dropping out of nowhere from it one right before her 25th birthday I went ahead and got it done. Seems like as soon as people got diagnosed things went straight downhill :smh:

That's because once you have symptoms it's too late.

That's why it's best to get it done and why we should encourage others to get it done.

There's usually a 10-20 year window when the polyp could've been detected before it turned into cancer.

stroka69

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
A month ago today I went to the emergency room because I was passing blood while doing #2. I have a colonoscopy scheduled for the 22nd of this month. I'm 63 and had my first one done in 2016 as part of my routine exams after age 55. They found and removed a couple of polyps but nothing malignant. I haven't passed any more blood beyond a few days after the emergency room visit.

I wish you the best with your results and pray for me as I await mine in a few days.

da Stroka