FedEx driver fired after Ring camera catches racial slur outside Kansas City business

MASTERBAKER

DEMOTED MOD
BGOL Investor


The Kansas City Defender​

July 15 at 7:23 PM ·







This afternoon, a FedEx driver was standing at the door of a Black women-owned brokerage in the West Plaza, frustrated the office hadn't answered fast enough. The Ring camera he activated caught what he said next: "What the f*ck is this n*@@ers number?"
Murrell is the founder of Murrell Homes Real Estate Group.
"When it started playing, and I heard those things, it kind of took me back," she told The Defender in an interview Tuesday. "I was like, did I just hear what I thought I heard? So I played it again." She called her colleagues over and played it a third time. "It shocked us all."
Then she went and found the package, dropped on the ground at her doorpost, her company's name on the label.
"When I determined, okay, you were coming for me, then that's when the anger came in," she told us. "That was not necessary."
She called the FedEx station that serves her area. They answered and hung up. She plans to file a formal report, and she wants answers about their standards. "There needs to be accountability," she said. "That's a grown man. He has to be accountable for his actions. He made his bed. So now he got to lay in it."
Murrell Homes launched in December 2021 as fourteen Black women real estate professionals. Five years later they are nearly forty strong, putting families into homes in a city that spent a century trying to keep Black families from owning anything at all. "I was born and raised in Kansas City, and I believe that our community deserves positive professional representation," Murrell told The Defender. "We're here sharing love and support for our community. And that's what I expect from everybody else."
Visit kansascitydefender.com

to read the full story.
 


FedEx driver fired after Ring camera catches racial slur outside Kansas City business​


A FedEx driver is no longer working for the company after a Ring camera captured him using a racial slur during a delivery to a Kansas City real estate office.
By Ale Espinosa
Published: Jul. 16, 2026 at 6:17 PM EDT

https://google.com/preferences/source?q=https://www.kctv5.com
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (KCTV) - A FedEx driver is no longer working for the company after a Ring camera captured him using a racial slur during a delivery to a Kansas City real estate office.

The incident happened Wednesday afternoon at Murrell Homes Real Estate Group. The driver arrived with a package, and when no one came to the door immediately, he made a comment that was recorded on the office’s Ring camera.

A FedEx driver is no longer working for the company after a Ring camera captured him using a...

A FedEx driver is no longer working for the company after a Ring camera captured him using a racial slur during a delivery to a Kansas City real estate office.(Courtesy Murrell Homes)
The driver has not been charged with a crime, and FedEx has not released his name.


Shawnna Murrell, owner and managing broker of Murrell Homes Real Estate Group, said she heard the comment in real time.

“I heard what he said and I just kinda stopped. I was like, ‘wait a minute. Did I just hear what he said?’ So I put the phone up to my ear, and I was like ‘wow,’” Murrell said.

Murrell started her real estate group five years ago. The company has nearly 40 Black and minority agents who help Kansas City families buy homes. She said she has no doubt the slur was directed at her business.

‘A long time coming’: KC burglary ring leader that hit 100+ businesses sentenced​

“Especially if you are out here performing in a negative way with your company, and with a company shirt on. That’s a reflection of the company. As a company owner, as a business owner, I stand by that,” Murrell said.


Murrell said she contacted FedEx and asked for accountability. By Thursday, the company responded. In a statement to KCTV5, FedEx said: “The behavior depicted in the video is unacceptable and inconsistent with our company values. We have taken this matter seriously and can confirm this individual is no longer providing service on behalf of FedEx.”

Murrell said the incident will not change how she operates.

‘It was a gut punch’: Northland artist Fearless Jack Rabbit’s World Cup mural found off I-35​

“I’m out here spreading love. I’m out here being what I can be, the best that I can be for my community. I’m not gonna let one person change that,” she said.

Copyright 2026 KCTV. All rights reserved.
 
jpstudiochicago
1d
Ahhhh!! Well done, indeed, Sir. Just rolls so effortlessly off the tongue. And at such a great time in human history to be unemployed.

639140717_2286418685171957_2720340558725033539_n.gif


Shaniece Owens-Sims
·

He'll just get a job with UPS unfortunately. However, I do wonder what his reaction was when they told him he was getting fired for what he did.

Kay Williams
·

What's in the heart
❤️
comes out the mouth
1f5e3.png
....it's inevitable.
 
Back
Top