Federal prison guards are working double shifts for no pay

(0_0)..l.. finger

A GOD
Certified Pussy Poster
Prison guard Brian Shoemaker was patrolling the halls of Lee penitentiary in southwestern Virginia Friday when an inmate tried to squeeze past him into a restricted area. Seconds after Shoemaker told the prisoner to turn around, the inmate lunged at him, punching him in the shoulder.

Shoemaker did not sustain a major injury. But it did not escape him that he is working without a paycheck at one of the most dangerous federal jobs in America during the partial government shutdown. Fears for his other prison staff members’ safety are escalating as 16-hour shifts become routine as a growing number of guards call in sick in protest or to work side jobs to pay their bills.

“I don’t think we should be subjected to that kind of thing and not receive a paycheck,” said Shoemaker, 48, a 17-year veteran of Lee penitentiary.”I’m walking in here and doing my job everyday, and it’s very dangerous.”

Shoemaker is one of 36,000 federal prison workers nationally deemed “essential employees” by the federal government, which means he is expected to report for work during the shutdown even though he will not get paid until after the government reopens.

Even though these employees are supposed to work, union officials at 10 prisons reached by The Washington Post, including Lee, say the number of employees who are not showing up for work has at least doubled since the shutdown began.

As a result, those showing up are routinely working double shifts, correctional officers and other prison staff members say. Secretaries, janitors and teachers are filling in for absent officers. At least one prison – Hazelton Federal Correctional Complex in West Virginia – has seen the number of assaults on officers increase since the shutdown, according to a union official there.

“There has been a rise in people calling in sick and taking leave during the shutdown,” said Richard Heldreth, president of the corrections officer union at Hazelton prison in West Virginia. “The staff who are showing up are dealing with this violence, long hours and extra overtime with the uncertainly of when we will be compensated.”

The Federal Bureau of Prisons, which houses nearly 180,000 inmates, did not respond to repeated requests for comment, nor did they respond to written questions. Several wardens also declined to comment, directing questions to the bureau. The public affairs office for the bureau said they would not be commenting “due to the government shutdown.”

There are numerous reasons that correctional officers – commonly called prison guards – are unique among federal employees. They are in the rare position of risking injuries, even their lives, every time they report to work. Prison staff members also are among the lowest paid of those working in federal law enforcement, with average annual salaries of between $40,000 to $50,000.

Many work in remote rural towns where there is no mass transit and commutes are often an hour or more each way. The prisons are frequently the lifeblood of these rural towns.

Rep. Tim Ryan, D-Ohio, whose district includes a federal prison in Lisbon, said the safety conditions of the prisons were already tenuous due to staffing shortages but the dangers have spiked since the shutdown.

“I do know the anxiety level is going up and the stress levels are going up. It’s been building for some time. This is putting gasoline on the fire,” said Ryan, who toured the prison Tuesday.

The tense nature of the situation is evident at Hazleton, the high-security facility where crime boss Whitey Bulger was killed by inmates in October.

Union and prison officials say seven officers have been attacked in three separate incidents since Friday. None of the officers received serious injuries. The high-security prison typically sees that many assaults over the course of a month, said Heldreth.

Prison officials acknowledged the three incidents took place, but did not provide further comment.

The number of officers and other staff members calling in sick has quadrupled at the prison, Heldreth said, citing data providing to him by the prison – rising from an average of 15 to 20 employees a day to about 80 a day.

Officers are being asked to work 16-hour shifts once or twice a week as opposed to once or twice a month, Heldreth said. Staff members who are not law enforcement officers are being told to leave their desk jobs to backfill for absent guards on nearly a weekly, as opposed to a monthly, basis. At the time of their hiring, these workers receive three weeks of training at the Federal Bureau of Prison’s academy in Georgia.

That was 20 years ago for 52-year-old Opal Brown, a secretary in the prison’s education department. Since the shutdown, Brown has worked two shifts as an officer, once in the high-security penitentiary patrolling inmates who she never encounters during her regular job.

“I have no rapport with them. They know you are not an officer, and they want to push you to see how far they can go. It’s very dangerous,” Brown said.

One particularly humiliating aspect of the shutdown for prison guards has been that inmates are aware of the shutdown – and of the fact that the guards are not getting paid.

On New Year’s Day, prisoners even received special meals like steak or Cornish game hen, which was served by officers who were not receiving pay.

Sensing their insecurity, the prisoners are taunting officers and even testing them to see if they can be bribed, union leaders and staff members say.

“Inmates know about the shutdown; they know we aren’t getting paid. They play on that stress,” said Shoemaker, the correctional officer in Virginia.

Meanwhile, few things have changed for prisoners, who continue to receive food and medical care out of a fund that has already been appropriated for the year by Congress.

Prisoners perform various jobs – mostly to maintain the facilities – for between 12 cents to $1 an hour, plus the occasional bonus. Inmates aren’t making much money, but their paychecks felt like a slap in the face, said Shane Fausey, the local union president at the prison in Allenwood, Pennsylvania. Fausey said they are funded through commissary profits.

“We are risking our lives, but we aren’t getting paid,” Fausey said. “We are paying the guys who molest our kids and steal from the elderly.”

At a prison complex in Lompoc, correctional officer Ryan Enos said that since the shutdown began, two inmates have taunted him about not being paid and one tested him to see if he was susceptible to be bribed.

Enos works in a place called “the hole,” where inmates who are being disciplined are locked in their cells 23 hours a day. The first taunt, Enos said, came last week as Enos was walking an inmate in restraints back to his cell after his one-hour break.

“He said, ‘Hey are you getting paid yet? That’s why you should work for the cartels, they never close,’ ” Enos recalled.

“They are always looking for an angle,” he said. “Anytime anyone shows any type of weakness, they will use that to their advantage.”

Several prison workers said there is widespread anger directed at Washington, especially since President Donald Trump and members of Congress are still receiving pay during the shutdown while they are failing to resolve the budget impasse. They also said they feel abandoned by Trump and Congress.

“These are honest, hard-working people who are paying the price for this game of political cat and mouse,” Fausey said. “They just want to go home safe and sound and be able to take care of their families. I think the government needs to show them some loyalty and pay them for a good day’s work.”

At a news conference with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-San Francisco, and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., on Wednesday, the national president for the union that represents correctional officers said Trump’s argument about the wall is disingenuous.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.me...rds-are-working-double-shifts-for-no-pay/amp/

roots69

Support BGOL
Registered
Those prison guards are making money of the illegal drug trade they run.. Why do you think their putting up a big fuss to keep cannabis illegal?? Because thats how they make their under the table money..

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
Those prison guards are making money of the illegal drug trade they run.. Why do you think their putting up a big fuss to keep cannabis illegal?? Because thats how they make their under the table money..
Even if weed is legalized federally prisoners won’t be granted access to blaze in there. It will remain illegal tonthem and nothing changes

Lexx Diamond

Art Lover ❤️ Sex Addict®™
Staff member

My niggaz in jails and prisons say you can't even smoke cigarettes anymore. They get tops tobacco or the preferred one in the blue package smuggled in by gaurds. I don't remember the name of the brand.

dasmybikepunk

Wait for it.....
OG Investor
My niggaz in jails and prisons say you can't even smoke cigarettes anymore. They get tops tobacco or the preferred one in the blue package smuggled in by gaurds. I don't remember the name of the brand.
buglerbluepouch.1.jpg

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I stopped reading after it said inmate lunged at him and punched him

In the shoulder.. ....

I'm like they need to do a better job expressing how dangerous it is to be a prison guard because that shit he said indicates one thing only and its

That they are severely over paid...

Punched in the shoulder

Rikers island guards will smack that muthafucka talkin that pussy shit

Last edited:

roots69

Support BGOL
Registered
More American lives are at risk due to the shutdown than due to illegal or legal immigration.

Yeap.. Those officials use the people as pawns, to push their agendas..The sad thing is, the people have become adjusted to believing the lies. They wont stand up anymore and all they do is shut up!! A large percentage of the people are deathly afraid of the money class!!

dade305

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You know how many fat people going to die if they can’t get Mexicans to mow their lawns anymore ??? :roflmao2:
You bring up a serious topic.
People with high blood pressure and hypertension can't be doing too much.

I have a friend who has/had high blood pressure, felt the impact of doing to much yard work. He could have fell out and died in the yard if he wasn't attentive.

KA$H

GoldMember
BGOL Investor
Working a double for free? Really paying to work, because I'm sure they have to get some sort of transportation to get to work being buying gas, bus, or train. Not to mention paying for lunch & dinner. Every day they go in they are losing money. At least $20 a day. Why????

I'm not being funny. I really want to know.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Working a double for free? Really paying to work, because I'm sure they have to get some sort of transportation to get to work being buying gas, bus, or train. Not to mention paying for lunch & dinner. Every day they go in they are losing money. At least $20 a day. Why????

Them prisons ain't gonna guard themselves... It's time like this when you find out whose the real unsung heroes and whose part of what circuit

COINTELPRO

Transnational Member
Registered
They need to start snitching on the white supremacists on their job, talking bizarrely about strange plots to compromise the security of the government.

deputy dawg

~wait a cotton pickin' minute...
BGOL Investor

Vets are looking at pensions/retirement just around the corner
(do the minimum years to get the good benefits then move on to the next life)

New guards wanna keep that good job they just got, hoping for a quick resolution.

supreme_kos

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Hope all these fed workers are logging their hours for themselves, via pics of time punches or something. When it comes time to payout, I got a feeling some workers are gonna get shorted. I foresee "Malfunctions with the KRONOS system"