!!! ... FeBRuaRy 2016 BLaXPLoiTaTioN BeaT BaTTLe ... !!! (You're Vote is needed)

WHoSe BLaXPLoiTaTioN BeaT WuZ Yo FaV???

• mufasa672

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • inkone

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Selfscience

• Skinnie Talls

• Drowzie

• Jaquez

• LargeBillsOnlyPlease

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skinnie Talls

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Introducing the "Blaxploitation Battle"
Blaxploitation-OST.jpg

Basically this month participants dug in their own crates, chose their own blaxploitation soundtrack(s), and added their own home cooking to it.
All the originals samples used are credited in this link http://www.bgol.us/forum/index.php?threads/february-2016-beat-battle.882413/#post-16237530

Give 'em a listen and don't forget to vote. If you got a sec leave commentary. Some of these beats are tough, and deserve some sort of praise.

1. LargeBillsOnlyPlease

2. JACQUEZ

3. drowzie

4. Skinnie Talls

BLaX PoWeR... produced by Ecks.mp3

<a href="" target="_blank" class="zippyshare_link">BLaX PoWeR... produced by Ecks.mp3</a>
<script type="text/javascript">var zippywww='www66';var zippyfile='38IlwoX8';var zippydown='ffffff';var zippyfront='00000';var zippyback='ffffff';var zippylight='000000';var zippywidth=680;var zippyauto=false;var zippyvol=80;var zippydwnbtn = 1;</script><script type="text/javascript" src="http://api.zippyshare.com/api/embed.js"></script>

5. Selfscience

Download

6. inkone

7. mufasa672

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=""></iframe>

drowzie

Rising Star
Registered
I think All of the beats were tight, I ranked them in order as (not going to discuss my own track) follows:

1. LBOP - I'm feeling the use of multiple samples in one song, you brought them shits together well and topped it off with a smooth bassline. Good work on that joint, you showed more versatility than everyone else in my opinion.

2. Self-Science - When I heard the intro, I thought to myself "Laid back drums over a good sample, here it comes", but you chopped the sample to a nice melody that I wasn't expecting with some nice change ups in there. I like being caught off guard like that. Nice work fam!

3. Skinnie Talls - Love the rugged sample and the drums compliment it well. I can hear Beanie Segal ripping the fuck out of this joint. That real head nod Hardcore Backstreet Bully shit right there. I likes!

4. Inkone - Nice Track, but needs some cleaning up with the sample chops, I kept hearing some pops at the end when you transition to another sound. But over all pretty good. Like the "it's a little dirty, raw" phrase. I guess you were explaining the pops and clicks in the beat. Nah, you ain't that clever, are you?!! LOL

5. Jacquez - Love the drum programming on this joint. You really have a talent for programming, i gotta give you that. I wasn't too impressed with the sample, It was too soft for my taste, especially when the assignment was a blaxploitation sample. I think of hardcore hard hitting shit when I think of Blaxploitation. Good effort otherwise.

6. mufasa672 - Man, sorry for the last spot, but it seemed as though you just looped the original and slapped some drums over it. I was disappointed because a lot of kats already raped this track, I would expect you to step out of the box more and make it your own, but hey.

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
1. LargeBillsOnlyPlease - Easy there fam, don't kill em with the 1-2 combo. That second bit had me going.

2. JACQUEZ - Good use of the sample, but given the nature of the beat, (very storytelling), it could do with a changeup here and there. Other than that, good work.

3. drowzie - Smooth. Gimme Styles P over this one talking about hood life and it's a solid album track.

4. Skinnie Talls - On some sleuth shit here. Hearing a Heist-esque/Phone Tap scenario over this is money. Well done.

5. Selfscience - Black super hero music. Those drums and that mini break at 0:49 mate... whew.

6. inkone - Good track but i'm struggling to find the direction with it.

7. mufasa672 - One of my favorite samples ever, but it's border line untouchable at this point. So much so that I just leave this track alone when I come across it. Any changes to it seem to take away from it's originality. Good looping though.

Man it's refreshing to know you guys are still doing it up. Every track was fire in its own unique way.

In the end, it's splitting hairs between LBOP and Skinnie Tails but I'm gonna have to give it to Skinnie overall. Both beats painted the picture for me of some kinda Heist beforehand, and the after party celebrations at the crib following. Find a Ten Crack Commandments acapella and put that together and send it to me. You'll get play in the whip no doubt.

Great work everyone.

"Two words... i'm goooonnneee"

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Thanks for taking the time to give your reviews fellas. That's very important for us. Much appreciated.

inkone

Rising Star
Registered
I think All of the beats were tight, I ranked them in order as (not going to discuss my own track) follows:

1. LBOP - I'm feeling the use of multiple samples in one song, you brought them shits together well and topped it off with a smooth bassline. Good work on that joint, you showed more versatility than everyone else in my opinion.

2. Self-Science - When I heard the intro, I thought to myself "Laid back drums over a good sample, here it comes", but you chopped the sample to a nice melody that I wasn't expecting with some nice change ups in there. I like being caught off guard like that. Nice work fam!

3. Skinnie Talls - Love the rugged sample and the drums compliment it well. I can hear Beanie Segal ripping the fuck out of this joint. That real head nod Hardcore Backstreet Bully shit right there. I likes!

4. Inkone - Nice Track, but needs some cleaning up with the sample chops, I kept hearing some pops at the end when you transition to another sound. But over all pretty good. Like the "it's a little dirty, raw" phrase. I guess you were explaining the pops and clicks in the beat. Nah, you ain't that clever, are you?!! LOL

5. Jacquez - Love the drum programming on this joint. You really have a talent for programming, i gotta give you that. I wasn't too impressed with the sample, It was too soft for my taste, especially when the assignment was a blaxploitation sample. I think of hardcore hard hitting shit when I think of Blaxploitation. Good effort otherwise.

6. mufasa672 - Man, sorry for the last spot, but it seemed as though you just looped the original and slapped some drums over it. I was disappointed because a lot of kats already raped this track, I would expect you to step out of the box more and make it your own, but hey.

To be honest fam thats just how how it was put together no lie thats why the intro its a lil dirty its a lil RAW... I was testing my self to see just off the fly how fast i could make something with what i had in my mpc

Skinnie Talls

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This contest wasn't supposed to be difficult. When I posted originally I already had in mind a sample I wanted to try, but then Selfscience made a post with a kazillion soundtrack options and that is where the challenge came. I listened to about 4-5 soundtracks before I even liked a sample and 3-4 more before I eventually settled. Bottom line the most challenging part for me wasn't doing the beat it was choosing a sound from sooooooo many options.

When Mufasa posted 110th Street I wanted to flip it out of spite. When Self posted his stuff I wanted to go all out and completely obliterate his track but things didn't happen that way. When I heard Drowzie's sample choice I raised an eyebrow, not in doubt of my own track but more like taking notice this guy isn't some flash in the pan he's getting better every time around. I woke up 1 morning to wrap up the thread and saw Largebills posted a joint, I gave a listen and almost had that moment in the movie "Heat" when DeNiro hit the u-turn/exit on the interstate to go finish off Wayne Grow. I decided to take the high road. Inkone and Jaquez are also making recurring appearances making things very interesting. You used to be able to do a nice little crossover and a lay-up to win this contest. Now we gotta hop over cars from the freethrow line and reverse dunk & stick the landing just to stay competitive.

I just wanna say thank you all for making this contest what it is. Win/Lose/Draw

Also thanks to all who leave comments, it makes my day even when its not relevant to me.

PS: My original soundtrack I wanted to use was "The Lost Man" OST- Quincy Jones

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
These are never easy. :smh: Bills takes the lead leg and mufasa brings up the anchor with a solid finish, everyone in between did they thing.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
This battle was very special. If you know me around here, I am the administrator to blaxploitation pride.org. I have collected nearly 200 soundtracks. Some very rare and many well known. The first beat I ever made was sample from the "Trouble Man" soundtrack. Since, I have sample various songs from many soundtracks.

I wasn't disappointed in the none of the entries. Everyone showcased their styles and skills and it was a nice turn out.

I think drowzie has the best sample choice. While it was a nice track, I have demolished (not in a good way, lol) so many of those type of track from blaxploitation soundtracks that I was actually expecting more of an uptempo feel. But never the less, the beat was raw hip-hop. Props.

Jacquez has a very relax feel in his beat making. On the lines of drowzie, the sample choice was nice. Good drum usage and smooth from start to finish.

Mufasa chose the sample I was hoping that wasn't going to get chose. I understand why though, but because this track has been sampled to death and I have played it completely out, it was going to be hard for me to feel any type of way for someone trying to sample it. Good deliverance on the track, but I'm think the bar is way to high for many to touch that track anymore.

Inkone, Im in agreement with the other guys. Raw and dirty beat, but you could add some change up here or there.

Skinnie, you track embodied that blaxploitation and hip-hop feel and it was very clean sounding. Nice sample choice and use of the drums. Hardcore beat that could be use with my boys, D Block.

Bills beat is the most musically inclined for obvious reason. First it was 7 minutes long, so you know the effort is there. The groove at the beginning was a nice mood setter for the 2nd beat. That's that conscious rap. The 2 beat is where I really go into the track. I'm all about those unique sounds and you provided one that was a good melody. Good stuff folk.

As for myself, I was blaxploitation burntout when this beat battle came up. I was happy to find a sample that I felt like wasn't beat to death. I was just happy that this sample battle was the choice and I got to participate in it.

Overall, my top choices boils down to drowzie, bills, and skinnie (in no order).

All three beat are different. So it depends on my mood. Drowzie's beat is chilling wit that homies chiefing good while we freestyle. Bills beat is the music that helped me get my PhD because I needed to focus. Skinnies beat should be rapped on my a legend. These are the top three tracks in this thread, so I voted for myself :D because I needed a vote. Great job fellas.

TFN Crew

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
First of all, If you are listening to these beats on your phone or ipad you are doing it wrong - lol. Listening to these beats on a laptop with no computer speakers doesn’t do the basslines and kicks on some of these beats any justice. I wanna thank everybody who listened to and critiqued my beat. I really appreciated the feedback, whether it was good or bad. I enjoyed listening to everybodys beat and I appreciated the different styles. Sciences site, blaxploitationpride.org, came in handy b/c I didn’t know where to start. I know I didn’t wanna use something that had already been sampled a thousand times. Some of the soundtracks I had never heard of and that’s I how ended up with the black girl sample. I decided to use Ableton live this go around so this beat came out a little different than what I would normally do.

Large Bills – the beat was hella nice – listening to the beat was like a journey. the bassline complimented the sample nicely, the vocal chops were a nice touch and they made me wanna hang around and see what else was he gonna add to the beat. That mountain long red vocal sample fit the sample perfectly. The horns mellowed that shit out for real. My only critique was that the first beat went on for too long. The second beat was nice too – I can see the Clipse on the second beat. Bassline was nice on that one too. The way you ended it was classic too. I love it when producers pay homage to the original sample by using a portion of it in their beat.

Drowzie- nice sample choice. I like how you changed up the sample around the 1 minute mark – the beat could have used more change ups b/c the loop started to get a little repetitive after awhile.

Skinnie Talls – I’m loving the first beat. The way you laid the drums down with the sample had a playas head nodding. The bassline was nice as hell on the first beat. I can see Rick Ross on the first one and the Lox on the second one.

SelfScience – I always listen to Sciences beats from beginning to end so I wont miss anything. I like how you started the beat off. The way you changed and triggered the sample played well over the synthetic substitution drumbreak.

Inkone – I love the intro and the theme of the beat. I love the vocal samples - They helped drive the beat along. You had some nice ass sample chops. I really enjoyed this one.

Mufasa672 – I could hear Outkast or somebody from the Dungeon family on this one. I like the tempo. Because the beat was so smooth, uptempo and someone could dance to it, not having many change-ups didn’t bother me. I love the way you ended it too.

Raeeb7

Rising Star
Registered
Respect to all the participants. I missed the poll but was impressed by everyone. Peace Manolo I could hear a Ghost Story on ya joint he'd go bananas. Good work tho I'm on the lookout for next month.

Skinnie Talls

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Respect to all the participants. I missed the poll but was impressed by everyone. Peace Manolo I could hear a Ghost Story on ya joint he'd go bananas. Good work tho I'm on the lookout for next month.
Salute! Appreciate the feedback Black. Stay chizzeled

TEN

Tensei - Admin
Staff member
I have to give it to the track that got me dancing and turning up my big speakers. Great movement, thunderous percussion,
and funkier than george clinton socks, yet simple and to the point. My winners vote goes to:
4. Skinnie Talls

Well done to you all, I appreciate the incredible music. Long Live the PML (producers music lounge)