Every Marvel Movie Villain Ranked from Worst to Best

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You are correct.. But winter soldier did kill starks parents which was gonna cause friction and separation regardless.. I actually meant the battle of iron man/ captain... The divide was gonna come due to captain being loyal to bucky
Yes.
But the Stark's deaths and ALL deaths committed by Winter Soldier were bought about because of Zola's brain washing.
Winter Soldier did it because he was following his programming. He didn't do it willingly... :dunno:

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yes.
But the Stark's deaths and ALL deaths committed by Winter Soldier were bought about because of Zola's brain washing.
Winter Soldier did it because he was following his programming. He didn't do it willingly... :dunno:
Mastermind vs cold blooded killer... Zola great concept..winter soldier better execution... On screen I prefer winter soldier relentless pursuit than Zola talking.. Winter soldier for the win

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Mastermind vs cold blooded killer... Zola great concept..winter soldier better execution... On screen I prefer winter soldier relentless pursuit than Zola talking.. Winter soldier for the win

If Lex Luthor programs Metallo to kill Superman, who's the TRUE villain....?
Metallo is nothing more than a tool, Luthor is the mastermind.

Zola brainwashed Bucky.
Bucky is just a tool. A dangerous tool, but just a tool nonetheless.
Also remember; the Russians created dozens of Winter Soldiers AFTER Bucky.
And in fact; during a sparring exhibition, one of those soldiers was about to whip Bucky's ass as they were on the cusp of rebelling against their creators. Remember...? :eek2:
So, in the end, it's STILL all about Zola and the effectiveness of his brainwashing techniques.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
If Lex Luthor programs Metallo to kill Superman, who's the TRUE villain....?
Metallo is nothing more than a tool, Luthor is the mastermind.

Zola brainwashed Bucky.
Bucky is just a tool. A dangerous tool, but just a tool nonetheless.
Also remember; the Russians created dozens of Winter Soldiers AFTER Bucky.
And in fact; during a sparring exhibition, one of those soldiers was about to whip Bucky's ass as they were on the cusp of rebelling against their creators. Remember...? :eek2:
So, in the end, it's STILL all about Zola and the effectiveness of his brainwashing techniques.
If that corny ass nig who plays lex Luther activated winter soldier nobody gonna scream more lex they gonna scream more bucky... Hell by your definition the guy who stuck drago with the steroids in rocky 4 was a better villain than drago.. Nope not gonna agree... Drago killing Apollo, drago greatest villain line ever "if he dies he dies", drago giving rocky brain damage, the drago workouts, all goes to drago... Drago vs steroid pumper, drago for the win... Jus's like winter soldier for the win.. Bucky should've told tony if your parents died, they died

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If that corny ass nig who plays lex Luther activated winter soldier nobody gonna scream more lex they gonna scream more bucky... Hell by your definition the guy who stuck drago with the steroids in rocky 4 was a better villain than drago.. Nope not gonna agree... Drago killing Apollo, drago greatest villain line ever "if he dies he dies", drago giving rocky brain damage, the drago workouts, all goes to drago... Drago vs steroid pumper, drago for the win... Jus's like winter soldier for the win.. Bucky should've told tony if your parents died, they died

Not a great comparison bro.
Yes, Ivan Drago was the "villain" in Rocky IV but Drago was STILL just a tool to be used at the direction of the Soviet government.
The point of Drago as a fighter was to show the world of the strength, power and superiority of the athletes of the U.S.S.R during the Cold War.
He himself was NOT an evil person. He was a carefully crafted tool used by his government, his handlers, his trainers & (to a lesser degree) his own wife.
Think about it:
- Drago's goal was always just to fight Rocky.
- Drago didn't set out to kill Apollo. (Although he wasn't too busted up about it).
- When they fought, Drago set out to just beat Apollo in an exhibition bout.
- Apollo didn't properly train & grossly underestimated Drago's strength and power.
- Apollo's unfortunate death merely helped to establish Drago as a major contender to "fight real champion". (In Drago's voice)

Again, a dangerous weapon if far deadlier with the right person properly crafting, wielding and utilizing it.
And NONE of the heinous murders or assassinations in the MCU at the hands of The Winter Soldier would've been possible without the manipulations of Zola.

c7cf0682352d528c9a3e38ad7c817ceb9c5bd6a0_hq.jpg

FACT... :dunno:

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Not a great comparison bro.
Yes, Ivan Drago was the "villain" in Rocky IV but Drago was STILL just a tool to be used at the direction of the Soviet government.
The point of Drago as a fighter was to show the world of the strength, power and superiority of the athletes of the U.S.S.R during the Cold War.
He himself was NOT an evil person. He was a carefully crafted tool used by his government, his handlers, his trainers & (to a lesser degree) his own wife.
Think about it:
- Drago's goal was always just to fight Rocky.
- Drago didn't set out to kill Apollo. (Although he wasn't too busted up about it).
- When they fought, Drago set out to just beat Apollo in an exhibition bout.
- Apollo didn't properly train & grossly underestimated Drago's strength and power.
- Apollo's unfortunate death merely helped to establish Drago as a major contender to "fight real champion". (In Drago's voice)

Again, a dangerous weapon if far deadlier with the right person properly crafting, wielding and utilizing it.
And NONE of the heinous murders or assassinations in the MCU at the hands of The Winter Soldier would've been possible without the manipulations of Zola.

c7cf0682352d528c9a3e38ad7c817ceb9c5bd6a0_hq.jpg

FACT... :dunno:
Actually you Jus's made my point perfectly clearer... 2 individuals with bigger agendas than what mostly could see with the naked eye.. They both use henchmen to go push their agendas with violent tactics.. That set off various plots... Drago and winter soldier are 1 of the same perfectly crafted tools that are used for violent motives.. At the end of the day both are great soldiers.. Without the two the agendas can't be pushed.. An idea is pointless when there is no action behind them.. Drago and Bucky are the action... They are why asses are put into the seats.. Nobody gonna sit down for 2 hrs listening to bad guys ideas we want to see action or things put into motion... People wanna see thanos go into action mode not hear him talk about how powerful the stones are for hours, they don't want to hear his ideas about ruling the world for hrs.. Action wins..so bucky wins

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Actually you Jus's made my point perfectly clearer... 2 individuals with bigger agendas than what mostly could see with the naked eye.. They both use henchmen to go push their agendas with violent tactics.. That set off various plots... Drago and winter soldier are 1 of the same perfectly crafted tools that are used for violent motives.. At the end of the day both are great soldiers.. Without the two the agendas can't be pushed.. An idea is pointless when there is no action behind them.. Drago and Bucky are the action... They are why asses are put into the seats.. Nobody gonna sit down for 2 hrs listening to bad guys ideas we want to see action or things put into motion... People wanna see thanos go into action mode not hear him talk about how powerful the stones are for hours, they don't want to hear his ideas about ruling the world for hrs.. Action wins..so bucky wins

But, you paid to see Thanos USE others to further his agenda.
Thanos was behind the scenes using Loki, Gamora, Nebula, Ronan and others to further HIS goals without really lifting a finger, right...? :dunno:
But now he has to step into the fray because his tools all failed. :D

In the end, he is just like Zola. :)
He used, guided and had others do his dirty work while he just sat back to collect the spoils. :yes:

SamSneed

Disciple of Zod
BGOL Investor
Shit you Jus's explained why winter soldier number 1... Look at his kill count... He killed tony stark parents, black panthers father, almost killed nick fury, almost killed iron man, cause the civil war, reason why captain america on the run... Winter soldier for the win

Killermonger number 2
Ws didn't kill t'chaka, zemo did.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
But, you paid to see Thanos USE others to further his agenda.
Thanos was behind the scenes using Loki, Gamora, Nebula, Ronan and others to further HIS goals without really lifting a finger, right...? :dunno:
But now he has to step into the fray because his tools all failed. :D

In the end, he is just like Zola. :)
He used, guided and had others do his dirty work while he just sat back to collect the spoils. :yes:
I paid nothing..I waited for a clear stream to see boring as Loki fail and only be good in 2 scenes both in which he gets his ass kicked..hulk slamming him and him getting blown up by an arrow.. Did I mention I wasn't the biggest fan of avengers?... Ronan lost to a breakdancing whiteboy, nebula is a female Loki as far as her role as he was in the 3rd Thor..Jus's there as a pesky sidekick.. So thanos got a bunch of useless rocky opponents that you never care about and are Jus's stat padders that are only there to run the movie along until you see the drago, the Apollo, the Mr t. In fact he kno they so useless he had to go do it himself to save the movie/franchise... You Jus's showed why bucky still the man he carried his own movie without you giving a fuck about a thanos...bucky for the win

AL-T

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
Y'all ain't seen shit yet, THANOS is the reason the Infinity Wars has 2 parts. If he gets all the Infinity stones life as we all know it will all be over period. Plus THANOS and Deadpool were in love with Hella (Mistress Death).

Last edited:

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
Y'all ain't seen shit yet, THANOS is the reason they the Infinity Wars has 2 parts. If he gets all the Infinity stones life as we all know it all over period. Plus he is in love with Hella.
I believe it's no longer two parts. The next movie after this will be Avengers 4.

AllUniverse17

Rising Star
Registered
Y'all ain't seen shit yet, THANOS is the reason they the Infinity Wars has 2 parts. If he gets all the Infinity stones life as we all know it all over period. Plus he is in love with Hella.

We dont know if they gonna include being in love with Hela yet.

Personally I doubt it.

But I hope so cause I loved her in Ragnarok.

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member

AllUniverse17

Rising Star
Registered
i disagree. we can agree to disagree.

the rationale is that humans pose a threat to skynet's existence. thus the humans need to be exterminated. skynet was a sentient AI.

and keeping it real the first terminator movie was pretty much a horror flick with sci fi elements. no one was expecting a franchise off of that. it took off and became the phenomenon we now know. alot of the lore was written in terminator 2 after the success of the first one.

horror films generally have thin antagonists. the first friday the 13th movie wasn't even really about jason. it was about his mother. but people don't know that anymore. jason is a paper thin antagonist. his mother was not.

i still contend that the strength of a movie is determined by how well fleshed out the antagonist is. nothing is absolute. but my favorite films by far have the protagonist overcoming substantial odds or the antagonist coming out ahead.

You can certainly have your preferences all of that is fine, but theres nothing you can come up with that will give T-800 and T-1000 any kind of depth. Their backstory is an assembly line. They never actually make any choices of their own. They start and end the movies as the exact same characters. Their object is to push the protagonists to their limit but that was done without giving them any depth.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Infinity War is no longer two parts .

Marvel has made a small but important changeto its film schedule: it's still planning to release Avengers films in 2018 and 2019, but they'll no longer be two parts of the same story. The first film will keep the title Avengers: Infinity War, but the second picture is now untitled, dropping its previous Infinity War — Part II moniker.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/7/29/12330184/avengers-infinity-war-no-longer-two-movies-marvel-disney
Wtf is this... Nope will not believe thanos is a 1 and done... If so fuck you marvel in advance

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
You can certainly have your preferences all of that is fine, but theres nothing you can come up with that will give T-800 and T-1000 any kind of depth. Their backstory is an assembly line. They never actually make any choices of their own. They start and end the movies as the exact same characters. Their object is to push the protagonists to their limit but that was done without giving them any depth.

Which addressed the other part of my post. Protagonists over coming substantial odds.

And IMO Skynet is the antagonist . The T-???? are tools .

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
tumblr_p5ouu0Kl8I1sejmmmo4_400.gif
tumblr_p5ouu0Kl8I1sejmmmo7_400.gif

Every Marvel Movie Villain Ranked from Worst to Best

MCU-Bad-Guys.jpg

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has been an unprecedented success, the kind that has never been seen in Hollywood. Ten years, 18 films, almost all of which are critically acclaimed and box office hits. And yet, if they have a flaw, it’s that their villains aren’t always the most memorable. However, there are diamonds in the rough among the Marvel bad guys, and maybe some of these villains have been under-appreciated. So let’s countdown the MCU’s bad guys, from worst to best, and see where they all rank in the halls of villainy.

18. Malekith (Thor: The Dark World)

giphy-1-5.gif

Thor: The Dark World isn’t the worst Marvel Studios film — that honor goes to Iron Man 2. It’s near the bottom, but it is fun and entertaining enough that I always stop and watch when I catch it flipping though channels. Nevertheless, poor Christopher Eccleston’s turn as Malekith the Dark Elf is absolutely the least memorable and most boring of all the MCU villains. Everything about his performance, make-up, etc., is just totally forgettable. Maybe it was his direction, or the way he was written, but it was just yawn inducing.

17. Darren Cross (Ant-Man)

giphy-10.gif

Ant-Man ended up being a delightful surprise, despite all the negative behind-the-scenes drama surrounding its production. One thing that they didn’t nail though was the villain, Darren Cross. Played by Corey Stoll, this bad guy is really just a rip off of Obidiah Stane from the first Iron Man. Basically, he’s another jealous corporate CEO type who feels that a paternal scientific genius figure should have paid more attention to him and not his actual children. While his final fight with Ant-Man is one of the movie’s best moments, I’m more than okay if we never see Cross again in the MCU.

16. Ronan the Accuser (Guardians of the Galaxy)

giphy-2-2.gif

Credit where credit is due: actor Lee Pace has such a charming, nice guy face, it’s amazing that he was able to come off as evil as the Kree villain Ronan the Accusser in the first Guardians of the Galaxy. Although he is convincingly an evil tyrant, he’s also pretty much just your standard monologuing alien bad guy, who goes off on insane rants which end with his killing someone. He’s everything we hated about Steppenwolf in Justice League, minus the terrible CGI. Ronan’s makeup looks convincing at least.

15. Aldrich Killian (Iron Man 3)

giphy-3-2.gif

The memorable villain in Iron Man 3 is the fake-out villain in the movie. Played by Ben Kingsley, both his villainous persona of the Mandarin, which parodies every “scary voice” movie baddie ever, to the clueless actor who portrays him, Trevor Slattery, are a joy to watch on screen. Sadly, since he’s a decoy to the the movie’s real bad guy, he can’t be used on this list.

Iron Man 3’s true villain is actually Guy Pearce as Aldrich Killian, another genius who Tony Stark slighted in his younger hedonistic days. Killian just feels like any bad guy in an ’90s action movie, except he breathes fire. He just never has enough personality to make an impression.

14. Justin Hammer (Iron Man 2)

giphy-4-1.gif

Watching Sam Rockwell chew the scenery as jealous weapons manufacturer Justin Hammer in Iron Man 2 is somewhat diverting, because it’s among the few times that the movie isn’t super boring. I’ll go on record as saying I think Iron Man 2 is the weakest of all the MCU films (yes, even over Thor: The Dark World and Incredible Hulk. Don’t come for me), but it least it sparks to some kind of life when Rockwell is on screen.

13. Ivan Vanko (Iron Man 2)

giphy-5-1.gif

It’s hard to decide who sucked more of Iron Man 2’s villains: Justin Hammer or Ivan Vanko, a weird combination of old school Iron Man bad guys Whiplash and the Crimson Dynamo. While Sam Rockwell chews the scenery in a fun way, Mickey Rourke does so in a grating way. But, he edges out Rockwell’s Justin Hammer only because he got a cool action scene in an otherwise boring movie. When he was fighting Tony Stark, I at least remembered this was an Iron Man movie still, and not “RDJ and friends throw out the script and improv.”

12. Emil Blonsky/The Abomination (The Incredible Hulk)

giphy-7-1.gif

The Incredible Hulk is the red-headed stepchild of the MCU, maybe because it’s the only one that under performed at the box office, and had to have their lead replaced. Personally, I think it’s a perfectly decent comic book movie with some nifty action scenes, and Tim Roth gives a pretty good performance as an over the hill military operative who just wants to be able to keep kicking ass. No, he’s not the most nuanced villain, but I understood him, and he was fun to watch on screen.

11. Kaecilius (Doctor Strange)

giphy-6-1.gif

I don’t have anything really bad to say about Mads Mikkelsen’s turn as rogue sorcerer Kaecilius from Doctor Strange. I mean, this guy can to do sophisticated Euro evil in his sleep. And whenever he was on screen, he was actually threatening. I realize this movie didn’t dive deeply into his backstory and motivations, but it was just enough for me to be satisfied with the final product. Plus he had cool glittery eyes. That helped.

10. Ultron

giphy-8-1.gif

In some circles, the Avengers’ second big villain Ultron gets a lot of hate. Is it because he’s an all CGI character? Is he just too classic Whedon “Jokey-jokey” for some? While I understand the complaints, I get Ultron as a character and his motivations, and I enjoy James Spader’s slimey delivery of every line he utters. If Tony Stark is Ultron’s “father,” then he sure inherited Daddy’s tendency towards snarky delivery. We probably won’t, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Ultron again down the line sometime.

9. Helmut Zemo (Captain America: Civil War)

giphy-11.gif

The best villains have simple motivations that are easy to understand, and Helmut Zemo, played by German actor Daniel Brühl, is absolutely one of those. Having lost his family due to the events of Age of Ultron, he blames the Avengers, and frankly, it’s hard not to see where he’s coming from. His complicated plot to make the Avengers fight against one another actually holds up upon multiple viewings, which is more than can be said for most of these villains. He’s not onscreen a lot in Civil War, but when he is, he makes good use of his screen time.

8. Obidiah Stane (Iron Man)

giphy-9-1.gif

The very first villain of the MCU, going back to Iron Man. The whole “I was your right hand man but I really hate you” thing has been played out in a million movies before this one, and probably done better, but Jeff Bridges brings so much smarmy glee to the role, you kind of can’t help but enjoy him every second he’s on screen. Ok, less so when he’s in the Iron Monger suit, but in every other part of the movie? He’s aces. He gets points just for the way he yells “Tony Stark built one of these in a Cave! With a bunch of scraps!!!”

7. Alexander Pierce (Captain America: The Winter Soldier)

giphy-10-1.gif

It was something of a stroke of genius to get Robert Redford, the star of so many paranoid conspiracy thrillers back in the ’70s, to play the man behind the giant conspiracy in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. But it’s not just stunt casting here; not only is Pierce’s evil HYDRA plan scary in almost a real world way, Redford sells you on the fact that he’s a true believer in this kind of authoritarian rule. Also, watching an Oscar winner and acting royalty like Robert Redford say lines like “Hail HYDRA” meant comic book movies were no longer marginalized, second rate entertainment.

6. The Red Skull (Captain America: The First Avenger)

giphy-12.gif

While most of the MCU villains try not to go for over-the-top comic book style theatrics for their live-action incarnations, the same can’t be said for Hugo Weaving as the Red Skull…and that’s a good thing. Maybe because the first Cap movie is a 1940s period piece, but we forgive a lot of the heavily accented mustache twirling that the Red Skull does here, because it’s just so era appropriate, and Weaving just seem to be having so much fun here. And really, how does one play a guy with a red skeleton face in a subtle way? You don’t, and I’m glad Weaving just went for the jugular. I hope there is someway this underappreciated baddie returns to the MCU. Because he totally went to Asgard at the end there right??

5. The Vulture (Spider-Man: Homecoming)

giphy-13.gif

The best Marvel villains have motivations that make sense, and among those are Adrian Toomes, a.k.a the Vulture, in Spider-Man: Homecoming. Played with the perfect balance of empathetic working class everyman mixed with terrifying criminal (that scene with Peter Parker going to the prom!), Michael Keaton just nails it, and makes you genuinely care about his character and hope he doesn’t get killed off by the end (spoilers: he doesn’t). While not the best cinematic Spidey villain –that award still goes to Doc Ock– the MCU Spider-Man rogue’s gallery get off on the right foot here.

4. Ego, the Living Planet (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2)

giphy-14.gif

In many ways the polar opposite of Michael Keaton’s Vulture (one’s a god, the other lives in New Jersey), they both fall under the category of villains that you can’t help but kind of like. OK, less so with Ego, who is a mass murderer, but in the scenes where he’s just hanging out with his son Peter Quill, you honestly get the sense that he really does care about him, in his own weird and twisted way. Of course, a lot of the reason Ego works at all is due to the fact that he’s played by Kurt Russell, who can’t help his rugged charm. Impeccable casting is always Marvel Studios’ strength.

3. Hela (Thor: Ragnarok)

giphy-15.gif

Does Thor: Ragnarok’s Hela have a great deal of complex motivation beyond the obvious? Well, no….but man, does Oscar winner Cate Blanchett just tear up the screen every second she’s in this movie. Vamping it up like a modern day version of Julie Newmar or Eartha Kitt’s ’60s Catwoman, Blanchett is having so much fun it’s just infectious. That’s a costume that could wear her, it’s so over-the-top, but make no mistake, she wears it. The role is thin on paper, but when you’re acting at 110%, it doesn’t really matter. Some roles are so memorable just because they’re fun to watch, and Hela fits into this category.

2. Erik Killmonger (Black Panther)

giphy-16.gif

Michael B. Jordan as Erik Killmonger in Black Panther is the best kind of villain, because though he might be misguided, he isn’t wrong. Much like Magneto over in the X-Men films, Killmonger makes a ton of good points that you can’t help but agree with. In this instance, his points about why T’Challa and his father before him have let their people down for centuries as they hid Wakanda away from the outside world are hard to debate. But like Magneto, his methodology is twisted, and his moral compass is skewed by his own horrible life experience, which is what ultimately makes him a villain. In a movie that is filled with memorable characters, Killmonger shining so brightly is no small thing.

1. Loki (Thor, Thor: The Dark World, Thor: Ragnarok, Avengers)

giphy-17.gif

People might not love the Thor movies, but there is just no question that they gave us the best villain in not only the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but just one of the best villains in movie history. Tom Hiddleston brings a metric ton of Shakespearean level weight to the role of the adopted son of the King of Asgard, and yet manages to make him endearingly witty as well. As I’ve said for many of the previous entries on this list, the key to a great villain is that you kind of have to like like them on some level and root for them, and Loki is the epitome of that notion. Whether he’s destroying New York or brooding in a jail cell, we all can’t help but love the god of mischief.

https://nerdist.com/every-marvel-movie-villain-ranked-from-worst-to-best/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=nerdist&utm_content=Every Marvel Movie Villain Ranked from Worst to Best

Reactions: LSN