Earl Graves Sr. Black Enterprise Founder Dies

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Where do I even begin with this?

I met Mr. Graves on numerous occasions during my early 80s NYC Messenger days. I always felt He was one of the Coolest Brothers I ever met (Gordon Parks Jr. tops that) back in those Messenger times. And I always felt Mr. Graves carried that "mutton-chop" look with Class.

And though I saw that Mr. Graves ran a tight ship in that BE office due to being notoriously image and business conscious, that still didn't stop him and those BE employees from being lively at times. Especially on Friday nights. Because I would run into quite a few of them at various Jazz and R&B concerts in the city.

And BLACK ENTERPRISE Magazine was a staple in both The Mom's and GrandParents Households.

R.I.P.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Rest in peace

This magazine helped me figure out paying for my college, opening a bank account, writing a resume, interviewing, investments, and black business.

And I think most importantly for me

that publication was recognizing OUR ability to be exceptional not just in sports and music

at a time when nearly all other media outlets primary objective seemed to be to say the opposite.

Thank you Mr. Graves.

Last edited:

Ballatician

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
41J6ZTflKTL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I read his book my sophomore year in college. Dope book with timeless jewels....RIP!

Mr. Met

So Amazin
BGOL Investor
I’ll just leave this here....lol. I expect a certain somebody to really fuck up before the day is out.

Earl Gilbert Graves is from Brooklyn, New York; his parents were Earl Godwin Graves and Winifred Sealy Graves, long-time West Indian residents of the Bedford-Stuyvesant area.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Awww wow. I seen the name and immediately remembered the face with those sideburns.

RIP To Earl Graves Sr and condolences to his family.