Do you think Obama can win? If not, who will you support?

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor
I don't know if all the polling is just bullshit to bamboozle us or what, but so far I'm not too optimistic about Obama's chances.
If Obama isn't the nominee, who will you vote for?

I personally can't support Shillary- no matter what. The same goes for Bloomberg, if he decides to run. Seems like Im pretty much fucked on a decision. Its like being asked to choose between being raped and being beaten.

younggiftedandblack

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't think he can win. Not because I don't like his politics, even though I disagree with a few things he's said. I just don't think America is going to vote for a black President. I'm sorry. Look at the controversy when there was a black American Idol winner, you actually think racists whites, Asians and Hispanics are going to vote for a black man??? Hell he even has black people going against him :smh: I also doubt if Hillary gets the nod she will pick him as VP, there's been too much bad blood said between the camps, I think she will pick Edwards first.

Cristar Mymine

Star
Registered
I don't think he can win. Not because I don't like his politics, even though I disagree with a few things he's said. I just don't think America is going to vote for a black President. I'm sorry. Look at the controversy when there was a black American Idol winner, you actually think racists whites, Asians and Hispanics are going to vote for a black man??? Hell he even has black people going against him :smh: I also doubt if Hillary gets the nod she will pick him as VP, there's been too much bad blood said between the camps, I think she will pick Edwards first.
If anyone, Shillary Cunton will have Richardson or Biden be her VP.

I'm voting for Ron Paul. Fuck what y'all liberals say, he's the best damn choice out of all people... and what are the republicans doing? Voting for McCain... I tell ya, this country is full of dumbasses who haven't read the constitution.

Besides, why the hell do any of you want Obama for president? He has an authoritarian approach to health care... punishing people who don't want health care is not something that belongs in a free society where people get to choose.

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
I'm waiting to the see grand voter rallies of recent years, pariticualarily from the hip hop community. On the flip side, who even has a chance to win? Call me a skeptic, or and educated voter, fuck it, at least I try...

actinanass

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
other than obama, I dont give a 2 shits about the democrats right about now.

Ya'll foolish for even considering anyone else BUT obama IMO.

If its not Obama, I'll support the republicans. ANY of the front runners. I don't trust Ron Paul at all, so he won't get my vote.

Call me an uncle tom if you want, but being an individual puts me in the Uncle Tom category, then fuck it!

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor

If its not Obama, I'll support the republicans. ANY of the front runners. I don't trust Ron Paul at all, so he won't get my vote.

Call me an uncle tom if you want, but being an individual puts me in the Uncle Tom category, then fuck it!

What is it that makes you see Huckabee or McCain or Romney as being better for the country or yourself than Clinton?

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
I voted Obama.

I would support Edwards among Democrats, but that's like being a Kucinich supporter at this point.

I will not support Hillary Clinton.

Huckabee is an idiot-- a Canadian show preying upon ignorant American tourists got him to congatulate Canada on preserving its national Capitol in an igaloo; just this week he equates legal gay marriage with beastiality when only an idiot would still be using that comparison (an animal cant give consent just as a 15 year old can't) but stands up for the Confederate flag (on grounds of states rights, on the same day as attacking the gay issue on which states have certainly already spoken)... He's a shallow candidate being propped up by a nutty evangelical movement and I don't know why anybody would want to legitimize that movement by voting for him.

I will not vote for any Republican except John McCain. I was never a Democrat until yesterday and I've never been all that comfortable with their stance on the war in Iraq; the vast majority of Americans don't know what's going on beyond that they don't like it and it seems easy to pander to an overwhelmingly anti-war public by saying how horrible the war is and trying to out-posture one another in promises of how quick you'll end it. I understand, despite the public's desire to change the channel, how unintended consequences could stem from the manner in which it that is executed. Hillary Clinton has gotten easy applause for years now yelling to audiences about "Bush's war" but I know what she said in 2002 and I don't trust her judgment or believe the way she represents what happen. Don't trust or believe, and that could go for Edwards as well... McCain called for a greater troop presence from the beginning of the war and its hard for me to believe things would have been as bad with him as president. I also have a lot of respect for his position on immigration when it seemed suicidal within the Republican party. He's made efforts toward campaign finance reform and at least understands that problem (which is one of the main appeals of the Obama campaign, though Obama seems much more equipped to take that to another level). He's notorious and applauded for reaching across the aisle... I think he's clearly the man to support on the Republican side.

Clinton vs. any Republican beyond McCain, I'm not voting.

leemajors

Star
Registered
No, I don't think Obama will win the presidency. However, I will be voting for him. Sometimes I wonder if black folks truely understand the degree to which white supremacy is ingrained within the minds of White people. 2007 was more like 1937. White folks thought it was cool to hang nooses, wtf. Jena 6, nooses, the overturning of Brown v Board of Ed, 'nappy headed hoes', and public character assination of black celebs is was marked 2007. And now muthafuckas actually think these assholes are about to vote a Black man into the highest office of this land. :smh: When will we realized that what 'comes out of they mouth' doesn't mean a damn thing, their actions is what matters. And white folks track record isn't the best when it comes to free thinking, openmindedness.

Cristar Mymine

Star
Registered

You'll vote for any of the frontrunners, but you won't vote for Ron Paul (the best candidate)?

You do remember that many of the frontrunners didn't show up in the Tavis Smiley debate?

da_monumental_1

LinuxGawd & BOFH
BGOL Investor
brewsterdo7.jpg

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>Will the Black Anti-Clinton
Crowd Vote McCain if it Comes to That </font size>
<font size="4">
Is McCain Liberal Enough for Anti-Clinton Black Voters? Will it Matter?</font size></center>

<font size="3">Ebony/Jet</font size>
brandedHEADERS_dailyblog.gif

Wednesday, January 23rd, 2008

In the underground, quite a few of those highly educated voters who have embraced Obama are now discussing the possibilities of a Clinton nomination. In their estimation, the Clintons have succeeded in turning Obama into a Black candidate, effectively damaging all the work he’s done to overcome that image.

So their payback?

A vote for McCain in the general election (assuming as many do that he wins the GOP nomination). Would it be enough to push such a race over the top for McCain? Hard to tell.

The wildcard in this argument is that Hispanics may stand in the gap if African Americans duck out in a wholesale way.

Certainly there is evidence at the state and local level that Hispanic communities (of various nationalities) will vote for African American candidates. But I’m still struck by comments made to me by Latino buddies just after what’s famously known in Washington DC as the Mount Pleasant Riots.

To recap briefly, an insurrection of sorts by El Salvadoran youths was started after a Black female cop shot and killed a drunk Hispanic man who came at her with a hunting knife. The agenda of the riot began as an action against poor police relations and a lack of Spanish speakers on the force, but quickly evolved into a referendum on the seeming stranglehold that Blacks had on local government power.

A somewhat odd assertion given that at the time authentic home rule in DC was scarcely more than a decade old. From my friends’ points of view, in urban center across America where there was Black leadership, there was resentment about the perceived inability of Latinos to gain a foothold in the areas of government jobs, and more importantly, government contracts.

Though there have been attempts at Black/Latino coalitions led by LULAC and other organizations - some successful and some not, there’s no logical reason to imagine that today’s political environment presents anything more than an uneasy peace - in DC and elsewhere. So on Super Tuesday, what happens in places like California?

http://www.ebonyjet.com/bigideas/?p=132

Finito

Star
Registered
I dont think Obama can win at this point but i still support him. If this country was "what it says on the tin", he could and most likely would win. Billary is "of royal blood" though. Everything else is an illusion.

Van Allen

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't know if all the polling is just bullshit to bamboozle us or what, but so far I'm not too optimistic about Obama's chances.
If Obama isn't the nominee, who will you vote for?

I personally can't support Shillary- no matter what. The same goes for Bloomberg, if he decides to run. Seems like Im pretty much fucked on a decision. Its like being asked to choose between being raped and being beaten.

TAKE RAPE>>>>>>VOTE HILL, RELAX AND ENJOY IT.:lol::lol:

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Clinton v. Obama = 0

<IFRAME SRC="http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/03/27/lasting_harm_feared_in_democrats_battle/?page=1" WIDTH=750 HEIGHT=1500>
<A HREF="http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/03/27/lasting_harm_feared_in_democrats_battle/?page=1">link</A>

</IFRAME>

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Re: Clinton v. Obama = 0

Of those voters who support Hillary Clinton as the democratic nominee; if she loses:

- 59% of them say they would vote for Obama in November; and

- 28% of them say they would vote for McCain in Novcember.​

Of those voters who support Barack Obama as the democratic nominee; if he loses:

- 72% of them say they would vote for Hillary in November; and

- 19% of them say they would vote for McCain in November.​

What does this say ???

And, which would you do if the one you're supporting, lost ???

Personally, I support Barack; and I couldn't support Hillary.

`

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

Here's something else I see in those numbers. Obviously, those who support Hillary appear ready to hand-off to McCain if she doesn't get it; and those who support Obama are much more likely to support Hillary, if Obama does not get the nomination.

• Obama has more Black support than does Hillary. Doesn't that mean that Black Americans are still the most forgiving people on the face of the damn planet ???

• Clinton has more white and, perhaps, hispanic support than does Obama. Does that mean that despite the overwhelming historical support that Blacks have given the democratic party, whites and, perhaps, hispanics are saying "Fuck You" if the white female doesn't get it ???

• Do you all see something different in this ???

`

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor

^^^

Que.

I agree with your assessment above...i would expound.but I would basically be cosigning...

VegasGuy

Star
OG Investor

Here's something else I see in those numbers. Obviously, those who support Hillary appear ready to hand-off to McCain if she doesn't get it; and those who support Obama are much more likely to support Hillary, if Obama does not get the nomination.

• Obama has more Black support than does Hillary. Doesn't that mean that Black Americans are still the most forgiving people on the face of the damn planet ???

• Clinton has more white and, perhaps, hispanic support than does Obama. Does that mean that despite the overwhelming historical support that Blacks have given the democratic party, whites and, perhaps, hispanics are saying "Fuck You" if the white female doesn't get it ???

• Do you all see something different in this ???

`

Are you saying Hispanics vote more independent than black people? I've always heard we are loyal but in the context of this post. Better than that let me ask you, are saying that Hispanics are in fact not loyal to the democrat party? That if Hillary does not get the nod, they pick up their tacos and move to McCain?

-VG

Greed

Star
Registered

Of those voters who support Hillary Clinton as the democratic nominee; if she loses:

- 59% of them say they would vote for Obama in November; and

- 28% of them say they would vote for McCain in Novcember.​

Of those voters who support Barack Obama as the democratic nominee; if he loses:

- 72% of them say they would vote for Hillary in November; and

- 19% of them say they would vote for McCain in November.​

What does this say ???

And, which would you do if the one you're supporting, lost ???

Personally, I support Barack; and I couldn't support Hillary.

`
You didn't answer your own question. You couldn't support Senator Clinton if Senator Obama lost, but you didn't say you would support McCain.

Are you adding a third option of not voting or is it implied that you would vote Republiklan in November?

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
If McCain vs. Obama, 28% of Clinton Backers Go for McCain

If McCain vs. Obama, 28% of Clinton Backers Go for McCain
LiveLeak-dot-com-167227-lain2.jpg
:angry:
PRINCETON, NJ -- A sizable proportion of Democrats would vote for John McCain next November if he is matched against the candidate they do not support for the Democratic nomination. This is particularly true for Hillary Clinton supporters, more than a quarter of whom currently say they would vote for McCain if Barack Obama is the Democratic nominee.

These conclusions are based on an analysis of Democratic voters' responses to separate voting questions in March 7-22 Gallup Poll Daily election tracking. In each day's survey, respondents are asked for their general election preferences in McCain-Clinton and McCain-Obama pairings. Democratic voters are then asked whom they support for their party's nomination.

The accompanying graph displays the results of the relationship between support for the Democratic Party's nomination and the general election vote between Obama and McCain.

As would be expected, almost all Democratic voters who say they support Obama for their party's nomination also say they would vote for him in a general election matchup against McCain. But only 59% of Democratic voters who support Clinton say they would vote for Obama against McCain, while 28% say they would vote for the Republican McCain. This suggests that some Clinton supporters are so strongly opposed to Obama (or so loyal to Clinton) that they would go so far as to vote for the "other" party's candidate next November if Obama is the Democratic nominee.

The results follow the same pattern, but not to quite the same extent, when the relationship between Democratic support and a general election matchup between Clinton and McCain is examined.

Here again, as expected, almost all of those who support Clinton for the Democratic Party's nomination say they would vote for her against McCain. Seventy-two percent of those who support Obama for the party's nomination would vote for Clinton against McCain, while 19% would desert and vote for the Republican.

Implications

The data suggest that the continuing and sometimes fractious Democratic nomination fight could have a negative impact for the Democratic Party in next November's election. A not insignificant percentage of both Obama and Clinton supporters currently say they would vote for McCain if he ends up running against the candidate they do not support.

Clinton supporters appear to be somewhat more reactive than Obama supporters. Twenty-eight percent of the former indicate that if Clinton is not the nominee -- and Obama is -- they would support McCain. That compares to 19% of Obama supporters who would support McCain if Obama is not the nominee -- and Clinton is.

It is unknown how many Democrats would actually carry through and vote for a Republican next fall if their preferred candidate does not become the Democratic nominee. The Democratic campaign is in the heat of battle at the moment, but by November, there will have been several months of attempts to build party unity around the eventual nominee -- and a focus on reasons why the Republican nominee needs to be defeated.

Additionally, some threat of deserting the party always takes place as party nomination battles are waged, and this threat can dissipate. For example, in answer to a recent Gallup question, 11% of Republicans said they would vote for the Democratic candidate or a third-party candidate next fall if McCain does not choose a vice president who is considerably more conservative than he is. (And another 9% said they just wouldn't vote.) These results suggest that it may be normal for some voters to claim early on in the process -- perhaps out of frustration -- that they will desert their party if certain things do not happen to their liking. And it may be equally likely that they fall back into line by the time of the general election. It is worth noting that in Gallup's historical final pre-election polls from 1992 to 2004, 10% or less of Republicans and Democrats typically vote for the other party's presidential candidate.

Still, when almost 3 out of 10 Clinton supporters say they would vote for McCain over Obama, it suggests that divisions are running deep within the Democratic Party. If the fight for the party's nomination were to continue until the Denver convention in late August, the Democratic Party could suffer some damage as it tries to regroup for the November general election.

Survey Methods

Results are based on telephone interviews with 6,657 national Democratic voters, aged 18 and older, conducted March 7-22, 2008. For results based on the total sample of national adults, one can say with 95% confidence that the maximum margin of sampling error is ±2 percentage points.

Interviews are conducted with respondents on land-line telephones (for respondents with a land-line telephone) and cellular phones (for respondents who are cell-phone only).

In addition to sampling error, question wording and practical difficulties in conducting surveys can introduce error or bias into the findings of public opinion polls.
LiveLeak-dot-com-167227-lain1.jpg.thumb.jpg

LiveLeak-dot-com-167227-lain1.jpg.thumb.jpg

Jim_Browski

Star
BGOL Investor
Re: If McCain vs. Obama, 28% of Clinton Backers Go for McCain

Sounds fair because I'm going to vote for McCain in 2008 and 2012 (when Hillary runs again) if Clinton beats out Obama....

Mc Cain is practically guaranteed the White House until his deathbed....

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

You didn't answer your own question. You couldn't support Senator Clinton if Senator Obama lost, but you didn't say you would support McCain.

Are you adding a third option of not voting or is it implied that you would vote Republiklan in November?
No third option and I don't believe in staying home. Its McCain. I stated the same in another thread discussing the issue with poster Kesq, but I couldn't locate it.

QueEx

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

<IFRAME SRC="http://www.blackpressusa.com/News/Article.asp?SID=3&Title=Hot+Stories&NewsID=15555" WIDTH=750 HEIGHT=1500>
<A HREF="http://www.blackpressusa.com/News/Article.asp?SID=3&Title=Hot+Stories&NewsID=15555">link</A>

</IFRAME>

[hide]On Anniversary of King Assassination: Top Black in Congress Warns that Unfairness to Obama Could Cause Voter Relapse
by Hazel Trice Edney
Editor-in-Chief

WASHINGTON (NNPA) – House Democratic Whip Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.), the highest ranking Black member of Congress, is warning on the 40th anniversary of the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. that perceived unfairness toward U. S. Sen. Barack Obama in the electoral process could cause a relapse back to voter apathy.

“If we were to fail to nominate Barack at the end of this process and he’s still leading in delegates, then we’ve got a serious problem that will affect the participation of Black people in a big way for the next 40 years,” says Clyburn, who has staunchly declined to publicly endorse either Obama or Sen. Hillary Clinton in order to avoid conflicts in his whip job to unite Democrats behind legislation.

In an interview with the NNPA News Service, Clyburn illustrated as an example the mood of the country in 1968 when King and Sen. Bobby Kennedy were assassinated only months apart and five years after the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, Nov. 22, 1963. “You have to ask yourself what was going on in the country at the same time as the King assassination. King was assassinated around the same time as Bobby Kennedy and just [five] years after John F. Kennedy, he said. “Those three assassinations launched and thrusted us into a real [state of apathy] that we all of a sudden seem to be coming out of at this point in time. If something were to short-circuit that and people think it was unfair, we could collapse right back into that.”

Americans around the nation this week are commemorating the 40th anniversary of the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. amidst the contentious Democratic Primary that has inspired a groundswell of activism not seen since before King’s death on April 4, 1968. The Nobel Peace Prize winner was a champion for voting rights and civil rights.

Clyburn’s concerns appear to reflect those of the Democratic Party leadership overall as some voters have threatened not to go to the polls or to vote for Republican John McCain if unfairness is perceived in the Democratic process.

Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean said his greatest concern is that the party is united before the August convention in Denver.
“I hope that the super delegates will make their views publicly known some time between now and the first of July because we don’t want to take this convention into Denver divided because if we go in divided, we’ll come out divided,” he says.

Super delegates, including Clyburn, are party leaders who can vote any way that they perceive is best. Technically, they could throw their vote to Clinton even if Obama has won the most pledged delegates based on primaries and caucuses. He leads by 157 pledged delegates.

The next primary is April 22 in Pennsylvania, where 158 delegates are up for grabs. North Carolina, which votes May 6, offers 115 delegates. The final contests are in Montana and South Dakota on June 3. But, it is mathematically impossible for either candidate to win the 2,024 pledged delegates before the August 25-28 convention.

Meanwhile, normally apathetic constituents have attended debate parties, hastened to watch post-primary “election-bowl” reports, and attended rallies from city to city. Political observers and issue advocates are now wrestling with ways to maintain the record enthusiasm, voter registration and overwhelming turnouts with hopes to impact local and state elections as well as issues beyond the November 4 election.

“You’ve got people registering to vote without even encouragement. You’ve got people going on their own registering to vote. People want to participate. So, you’ve got an upsurge in registration and upsurge in turnout,” says Melanie Campbell, president and CEO of the National Coalition on Black Civic Participation. “I don’t have a crystal ball or the historical perspective to say I know exactly what’s going to happen in the fall because we’ve never seen anything like this; especially for African-Americans, who’ve only had unfettered access to the ballot for a little more than 40 years.”

The mission of Campbell’s Coalition is to keep the Black electorate engaged, particularly at the grassroots level. The bottom line is that the battle between Democratic contenders Sens. Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and Republican John McCain have sensitized people to issues that they know realistically impact them, she says.

Political scientists speculate that the number of youth voters make up the largest turn out at the polls.

“Something has happened that more people are attuned and seeing this thing as something viable and impactful for their lives,” says Campbell. “In Alabama, we’ve got 200 young people who’ve asked, ‘How do I stay involved?’ So, what we’re doing is going back into Alabama and trying to get people involved in Black Youth Vote,” the youth activism arm of the coalition.

Campbell says the Coalition is building a data base of young Black activists who want to be involved in civic engagement.

“It allows for us to communicate with people beyond just the election cycle to get them involved. Where ever we have an affiliate, we’re sharing this with our membership. Young people are blogging and utilizing the technology. We also encourage people to volunteer for other organizations.”

Fueling the interest is the possibility of Clinton, the first woman, or Obama, becoming the first African-American to receive the Democratic nomination for president. But, issues such as health care, education, the war in Iraq and the economy are also causing people of all ages to be anxious about the future.

Gary Flowers, executive director of the Black Leadership Forum says civics must be reincorporated into mandatory school curricula in order to maintain educated engagement from elementary school to college.

“In other words, we must make civic education cool again. And the candidates this year have given us a good head start on that journey,” Flowers says. “If we are to continue the excitement around election 2008, we must do so with an informed citizenry.”

Ron Daniels, president of the Institute of the Black World – 21st Century, a New York-based organization, says the real challenge will be maintaining the momentum of excitement through the election. Daniels echoed Clyburn's sentiments.

“If in fact somehow there’s a sense that Barack Obama has been treated unfairly by these super delegates, then there’s going to be a lot of these young people who are going to be discouraged and they’re just going to drop out,” says Daniels. “But, beyond the election, we don’t have many structures in place to capture that excitement into order to maintain the pressure. My view is that no matter who is elected, we can’t just sort of relax. We have to say, there is still an agenda here and a progressive agenda that we need to continue to push forward.”

Clyburn concludes that maintaining the groundswell of voters will be contingent upon much more than just enthusiasm.

“It all depends on the degree of success that we have between now and November,” he says. “I would hate to say what the strategy should be at this point because we just don’t know what the results are going to be.”

http://www.blackpressusa.com/News/Article.asp?SID=3&Title=Hot+Stories&NewsID=15555[/hide]

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>Will black voters stay home
if Obama loses nomination?</font size></center>

By David Lightman and William Douglas
McClatchy Newspapers
May 1, 2008

INDIANAPOLIS — Many black voters are making it very clear: They're concerned that Barack Obama is going to be denied the Democratic presidential nomination that they see as rightfully his, and if that happens, a lot of them may stay home in November.

"It would hurt me not to vote," said Charles Clark, an Indianapolis retiree. He's thinking about leaving the presidential box on his ballot blank this fall if Hillary Clinton is the Democrats' nominee.

"There was a heck of a push made so blacks could vote. I know that," he said. "But it would also be very unfair if they pushed Barack Obama to the side."

Michelle Moore, an Indianapolis housewife, is less gentle: "Hillary Clinton would not even still be in the race if Obama was a white man," she said.

Her tough tone was common this week in this city's black community. Why, people asked, is the Illinois senator's relationship with the Rev. Jeremiah Wright being judged so harshly? Why won't Democratic Party officials acknowledge that Obama's in the lead and unite around him?

African-Americans have been the Democratic Party's most reliable bloc, giving about 90 percent of their votes to former Vice President Al Gore and Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., in the last two presidential elections.

In a close election this year, an African-American exodus from the voting booth could be costly to Democrats, particularly in the South, where blacks are a large proportion of the electorate.

If Obama isn't the nominee, "there would be a significant number of African-Americans who would stay home. They're not voting for (presumptive Republican nominee) John McCain," predicted David Bositis, a senior analyst at the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies, which researches black voting trends.

Todd Shaw, a University of South Carolina political science professor, agreed, citing a groundswell of African-American disenchantment with both Bill and Hillary Clinton. They're particularly annoyed by Bill Clinton's performance during the South Carolina primary and by Clinton supporter James Carville's description of New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, a Latino, as "Judas" for endorsing Obama over Hillary Clinton.

"The comment plays very badly with African-Americans and Latinos," Shaw said. "They remind them of 'Look what we've done for you; you should stay in line.' That doesn't sit well with voters of color. They view it as Northern machine politics or Old South boss politics."

Hunter Bacot, an associate professor of political science at Elon University in North Carolina, saw another piece of political history haunting black Obama backers.

"There's a sentiment among blacks that they've been taken for granted by the Democratic Party," Bacot said. "If Obama loses, it's as though their candidate's victory was overturned."

Democratic National Committee officials acknowledge that there could be some falloff of African-American voters if Obama isn't the nominee. Still, Karen Finney, a DNC spokeswoman, said the party expects African-Americans — frustrated by the war in Iraq, the sagging economy and high gasoline prices — to go to the polls in their usual numbers when they compare whomever the Democratic nominee is with McCain.

"We are aware that this has been an intense race, that there have been some tough feelings, and there are concerns," she said. However, how those feelings are soothed and concerns resolved will depend largely on how Clinton and Obama personally handle victory and defeat.

Several African-Americans in Indiana, which holds a crucial Democratic primary on Tuesday, said they could be seeing yet another effort by the white establishment to crush any African-American who's earned a powerful position.

"Here we go again," said Eddie Pryor, an Indianapolis retiree.

"It's like there's a ceiling for us," added Bangen Finley, an Indianapolis machinist.

Feelings are similar elsewhere. Former Rep. Floyd Flake, D-N.Y., an African Methodist Episcopal church pastor and president of a private black college in Ohio, said he constantly hears the angst of African-American and young voters about Obama's fortunes.

"If he doesn't get it, there will be a response," Flake said. "The young people will not be showing up to vote for Hillary Clinton if she gets it. I think given the turnout coming from young people and African-Americans (for Obama), I don't think they will go to the polls if she is the candidate."

But Jerry Mondesire, the president of the Philadelphia chapter of the NAACP and publisher of The Philadelphia Sunday Sun, an African-American weekly newspaper, said it's foolish for any Democrat to refuse to vote if his or her candidate isn't the nominee.

"It's a stupid way for Obama supporters to think and a stupid way for Hillary Clinton supporters to think," said Mondesire, a pledged Clinton delegate. "It's a selfish and destructive way to think. I can't think of what the Supreme Court would look like if McCain were elected. Roe v. Wade could be diminished, and Brown v. Board of Education could be impacted."

Some African-American voters in Indiana acknowledge that they might come around even if Clinton wins.

"I am offended by Hillary Clinton. What's going on now is unwarranted," said Shirley Graham, an Indianapolis auto company worker. But she will vote Democratic in the fall. "I am a Christian. I can't allow myself to have lingering bitterness," she said.

Others are undecided.

"They're criticizing Obama in ways that are not really relevant," said Bill Davis, a Carmel electrical engineer. "I will make a determination about voting in November at that time."

Michelle Moore, however, has made up her mind: Clinton is out.

"Senator Obama is just not being treated fairly," she insisted. "You would think everything that Reverend Wright says is coming right from Obama's mouth."

McClatchy Newspapers 2008

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/35516.html

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

<font size="5"><center>Clinton may see black backlash
if Obama loses nomination</font size>
<font size="4">
Some minority voters say they'll feel cheated and won't vote
or former first lady, causing trouble for Democrats in fall.</font size></center>

image_7009717.jpg

If Sen. Barack Obama doesn't
get the nomination, some African
Americans say they won't go to
the polls.

image_7009730.jpg

American Statesman
By Ken Herman
WASHINGTON BUREAU
Saturday, May 03, 2008

HICKORY, N.C. — It spans the spectrum from moderate to militant, but it's not difficult to tap into a potential backlash among African American supporters of Sen. Barack Obama if superdelegates give the Democratic presidential nomination to Sen. Hillary Clinton.

Some people in North Carolina, site of a key primary on Tuesday, say they fear a backlash will happen. Some say they expect it.

Some even say it could cause a rift in blacks' long-standing allegiance to the Democratic Party.

And some, such as Sharon Crosby of Lawndale, N.C., say they'd stay home rather than vote for Clinton in November.

"How would I feel? I would feel cheated, cheated ... We need to do it right," said Crosby, 51, who is self-employed.

And what of failing to exercise a basic right that blacks fought many years to get?

"I wouldn't feel good about it because I have always voted," she said. "But sometimes you just have to stand for what you believe in, and, no, I wouldn't (vote)."

For Democrats eager to recapture the White House, that's not good news. In a year when close races in a handful of swing states could determine the election's outcome, neither party can afford erosion in its core.

"We're talking about quite a few swing states in terms of the kinds of states that Democrats would be looking to win," said David Bositis of the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies.

Bositis said he thinks that in the end many black voters would choose to support Clinton should she win the Democratic nomination.

But it's not hard to find black supporters of Obama who say there's no way they'd back Clinton.

"I'd feel dissatisfied, really dissatisfied, because I think in other words if (Obama) is leading in all categories and if something like that comes by I know he has been shafted," said Jack Corpening of Valdese, N.C., a postal worker who is retired from the military. "I'm pretty well seeing that's what's going to happen."

Corpening said that would make him a nonvoter. He said he could not bring himself to back Clinton or probable Republican nominee Sen. John McCain of Arizona. He said it's a scenario that could damage the black-Democratic alliance.

"When you separate the party, it's going to cause a lot of problems," he said.

Delores Littlejohn, 68, of Gastonia, N.C., said she doesn't take such an extreme view.

She is an Obama fan — so much so that she hobbled on an injured ankle to the Illinois senator's recent appearance at Hickory High School — and she said she'd be upset if Obama is not nominated. However, Littlejohn said she'd back Clinton if she prevails.

"I probably wouldn't like it, but I still would support her," she said.

Clinton spokesman Phil Singer spoke mostly in general terms when asked about black voters' concerns about the New York senator. "Both candidates have strong and passionate supporters who we believe will come together to send a Democrat to the White House," Singer said.

Obama supporter Edith Childs, a Greenwood, S.C., council member credited with bringing Obama's signature "Fired up" chant to the campaign, declined to even speculate about the possibility of Obama not winning the nomination. When asked if she could guarantee she would in November continue her longtime policy of voting for Democratic presidential nominees, she said: "Well, kind of, sort of, probably. That's the best I can do."

Former Dallas Mayor Ron Kirk, an Obama backer and unsuccessful 2002 candidate to become the first black Texan in the U.S. Senate, cautioned against reading too much into the rhetoric.

"Asking people (now) what they think is not at all going to be indicative of how they're going to behave in November," Kirk said.

"I'm as guilty as anyone of parroting some of that," he said of anti-Clinton talk.

"Sen. Clinton, if you believe her rhetoric that she's uniquely suited to lead the country ... she ought to be good enough based on her background and experience to win without having to kneecap Barack Obama," Kirk said. "The tenor and tone of her campaign speaks for itself."

Political scientists who study the voting patterns of black people say Kirk is right in cautioning against assuming April anger will equal November action.

"Some of it is an expression of frustration and anger of the moment," said Michael Fauntroy of George Mason University. "Some of them say they are not going to vote for Hillary Clinton. Many of the people who say that will ultimately end up voting for Hillary Clinton because they will conclude that the McCain alternative is unacceptable."

But Fauntroy warns against underestimating concerns among black voters about what's going on.

"I believe this is a very touchy subject because there are some African Americans who are so distrustful of the political system that they believe that it is going to be stolen from them anyway," he said. "If Obama does not end up with the nomination these voters are going to feel he had it stolen from him."

Even a sliver of resentment toward Clinton could make a difference in swing states such as Missouri, Pennsylvania, Florida and Illinois if black voters don't back her, Fauntroy said.

Ron Walters, a University of Maryland political scientist who advised the Rev. Jesse Jackson's campaigns, also has heard the talk.

"People have used all of those terms — cheated, stolen — and more. And the thing of it is the passion," he said. "It's going to probably cost the Democrats from 8 to 10 percentage points this fall, and that could decide the election. At least half of those people probably mean what they say."

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/nation/05/03/0503demsblacks.html

Obadiah Plainman

Potential Star
Registered
Re: If Obama Loses . . .

Danny glover's take on Obama.
Part 1
[FLASH]http://www.youtube.com/v/cir1jbkN3Rg&hl=en[/FLASH]

I'll upload part 2 tomorrow.​

femmenoire

Modded Moderator Modding
BGOL Investor
Re: If Obama Loses . . .

I don't believe in active non-participation but I cannot vote for the man that voted against the MLK holiday.

vitrifier

Star
Registered

I think the people who would rather vote for McCain than Obama represent the section of our population that simply will not vote for a black person for president. The same white lower to middle income people that are most pissed off about Wright and the whole 'bitterness' angle would probably not vote for Obama if he had absolutely no blemishes and had a platform that mirrored their interests.

And, in my experience with a biracial family... I wouldn't be surprised if some of those staunch democrats who simply would not vote for him might be related to him.