Debate: Why Kenan Thompson Is the Most Underrated SNL Cast Member Ever UPDATE: Record 1500 SKETCHES!

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I've never laughed from anything he did even when he was on the kids network and I've never seen that movie "Good burger" or whatever.

But I'm happy for his success but him being funny...I don't find him funny at all.

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
He was a good cast member for a long time... I think the Phil Hartman comparison is a decent one. He was never gonna be the standout like Eddie or Murray or even Billy Crystal, but he created some memorable characters and was able to play the kinda straight man in skits to make them work.

I'm still mad at how they used Garrett Morris in the 70's.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Kenan and Young Rock Head Back to NBC for Another Round With Season Renewals
By Halle Kiefer@hallekiefer
Photo: Casey Durkin/NBC/NBCU Photo Bank via Getty Images
Great news for Dwayne Johnson’s (currently) fictional run for the presidency: NBC has renewed his autobiographical sitcom Young Rock for a second season, according to Variety. Network mate Kenan Thompson’s self-titled sitcom Kenan has also received a second-season order. “It has been a true joy to watch Dwayne Johnson and Kenan Thompson on NBC every week and see families connect with their relatable, entertaining, and heartwarming stories,” NBCUniversal Television and Streaming’s president of scripted programming Lisa Katz said Friday. “We’re thrilled to renew both of these shows for another season and can’t wait to see more from Dwayne, Kenan, and the incredibly talented casts and producing teams behind each of them.”
One Great Story
The one story you shouldn’t miss, selected by New York editors

Young Rock follows the actor and wrestler’s fictionalized childhood through three increasingly large Rocks, played by Adrian Groulx, Bradley Constant, and Uli Latukefu, and implies Johnson will land himself in the White House one day. Kenan, meanwhile, stars the Saturday Night Live cast member as a widowed father of two daughters Bridget and Aubrey (Dannah and Dani Lane) in Atlanta, struggling to balance single fatherhood with his job as the host of a morning show. Luckily, he has his brother Gary (Chris Redd) and father-in-law Rick (Don Johnson) to help out. And who knows? Keep these shows on long enough, and we might eventually get to see Kenan scoring an invite to President Dwayne Johnson’s inauguration. Why not? It’s 2021! There are no rules when it comes to network television anymore!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Kenan Thompson wants at least 20 seasons at SNL: 'Why should I ever have to leave?'

By Derek Lawrence
July 19, 2021 at 03:47 PM EDT

ADVERTISEMENT
SaveFBTweetMore

00:31
33:49

Kenan Thompson isn't going anywhere.
Already the longest-tenured cast member in Saturday Night Live history with 18 seasons under his belt, Thompson, who has five Emmy nominations and one win for his work on the NBC sketch show, has no plans to walk away.
"I keep saying I'm trying to get to 20 [seasons]," Thompson tells EW. "So if they don't throw me out of there before, I'm trying to get to 20. And then, I don't know if it makes sense for me to leave even after that point. As long as the show keeps going and they want me to be there and I don't feel like I'm in the way of somebody else's opportunity, should I just oblige? I don't really know what to do at this point, as far as leaving is concerned. Like, why should I ever have to leave?"

'SNL' cast members Aidy Bryant, Kate McKinnon, Cecily Strong, and Kenan Thompson during season 46 finale cold open

| CREDIT: NBC
While many other SNL mainstays have eventually departed over the years to take on other projects, Thompson has managed to balance staying on SNL with branching out with his NBC sitcom Kenan. And as if just having the two high-profile jobs at the same time wasn't enough, Thompson earned Emmy nominations last week for his performances on both.
"It's like nobody thought to do it that way," he explains. "Because it would seem like a hindrance in your career or something, like you're stuck. But, for me, it's the exact opposite. It's always been a thing that makes people want to have me when I'm unattainable. So it's worked in my favor to be busy 10 months of the year."

Fellow SNL veterans Cecily Strong and Pete Davidson recently faced similar questions about whether they will return in the fall for season 47, but have been much more noncommittal than Thompson, both declaring their future "up in the air."

Adroit

Rising Star
Registered
Anybody on SNL for as long as he has been is because they aren't really that funny. He's like a guy that was an Offensive Coordinator for 10 years. If he was good enough to move to a HC, he would've done it by now. He is pretty funny in some of his sketches though.

*Marcus Graham*

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Anybody on SNL for as long as he has been is because they aren't really that funny. He's like a guy that was an Offensive Coordinator for 10 years. If he was good enough to move to a HC, he would've done it by now. He is pretty funny in some of his sketches though.

Facts... SNL has been producing legendary comedy stars for decades... This dude can't even hold his own "sitcom"...

bgbtylvr

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Keenan isn’t funny, he’s fun to watch. He’s a great role player. Stand one, he isn’t LOL funny. I like him though. Would you go to the movies to see anything he was starring in? Sketch is his lane.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Universal Orlando hides Kenan Thompson in concept art for new theme park land​

A rendering of Thompson hilariously appears in concept art for Epic Universe's new "How To Train Your Dragon" land.
By
Joey Nolfi

Published on March 29, 2024

The world of How to Train Your Dragon is coming to Universal Orlando Resort's new theme park Epic Universe — and Kenan Thompson is along for the ride.

Universal unveiled new concept art Thursday for its planned Isle of Berk land heading to the resort's fourth overall park that's set to open in 2025. Included in it is a drawing of the Saturday Night Live star, who can be seen in the bottom-left corner of an artist's rendering previewing the area's dragon-inspired theming adapted from the popular animated film series.

Universal Studios Orlando How to Train Your Dragon concept art

Kenan Thompson in Universal Epic Universe's 'How to Train Your Dragon' — Isle of Berk concept art.
UNIVERSAL STUDIOS ORLANDO
As pointed out by theme park blogger Alicia Stella on social media, the image of Thompson in the Isle of Berk concept art appears to be a replication of a photograph originally released in 2020, when the 45-year-old partnered with Universal Orlando as a spokesperson for the Florida destination.

EW has reached out to Universal for more information.

Universal Studios Orlando How to Train Your Dragon concept art, Host Kenan Thompson arrives to the 2021 People's Choice Awards held at Barker Hangar on December 7, 2021 in Santa Monica, California

Universal hides Kenan Thompson in new Epic Universe concept art.
UNIVERSAL STUDIOS ORLANDO; CHRISTOPHER POLK/E! ENTERTAINMENT/NBCUNIVERSAL/NBCU PHOTO BANK VIA GETTY
Thompson is no stranger to the resort, as he filmed Nickelodeon sketch show All That and spinoff series Kenan & Kel there back in the 1990s. The Universal Studios park's New York-themed section is featured in the All That opening credits sequence.

"It was unbelievable," Thompson previously told EW of getting to run around the theme park between takes in his youth. "We didn't feel that we could do any better. We hit the goal, I guess we can retire now."

Universal Orlando's first park, Universal Studios, served as the filming location for numerous network productions inside the Nickelodeon Studios, which opened on park property in 1990 before closing in 2005.

In addition to hosting a rendering of Thompson, Epic Universe's Isle of Berk features three new rides — including a launched roller coaster, Hiccup's Wing Gliders — as well as a theater show, The Untrainable Dragon, set to highlight a massive dragon figure flying over the audience's heads.

Universal Studios Orlando How to Train Your Dragon concept art

'How to Train Your Dragon — Isle of Berk' concept art for Universal Epic Universe.
UNIVERSAL STUDIOS ORLANDO
Isle of Berk was first announced as one of five themed sections slated to debut alongside Epic Universe, with the others being themed to Nintendo titles (Super Nintendo World), classic Universal monsters like Frankenstein and Dracula (Dark Universe), the Harry Potter franchise (The Wizarding World of Harry Potter — Ministry of Magic), and astrological elements (Celestial Park).

See Thompson in the How to Train Your Dragon — Isle of Berk concept art for Epic Universe above.