DAMN SAD Kareem is auctioning off his NBA rings

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar auctioning off four of his five Lakers championship rings

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is auctioning off four of his five Lakers championship rings — 1980, 1985, 1987 and 1988 — among a collection of hundreds of personal memorabilia.

“One of the reasons I’m here is to mention my auction,” Abdul-Jabbar said after a news conference announcing this year’s Basketball Hall of Fame finalists. “I have a charity where we send kids to camp to learn about STEM [Science, Technology, Engineering, Math]. I’m gonna auction off all my stuff.

“I can’t afford to pay all the rental fees and insurance. I’m just tired of it. It can help me support my foundation. … A significant portion of the proceeds will go to help me help the kids learn about STEM education. That’s one of the main reasons I’m here, to get some support from my friends in the NBA.”

The minimum bid for each ring is $60,000. The auction also includes game and practice-worn jerseys, All-Star rings and a “Wells Fargo Carriage Figurine Presented To Kareem Abdul-Jabbar For Amazing Coaching.”

On the site hosting the auction, GoldinAuctions.com, Abdul-Jabbar says he is not experiencing personal financial hardship. Abdul-Jabbar went into millions of dollars of debt in the 1980s related to a bad investment entered into by his then-financial advisor.

“My sports memorabilia also have a history,” Abdul-Jabbar said in his blog post. “My history. My life. And, oddly, since my life is still happening and ever-evolving, I am less personally attached to those items than I am to my desire to create new history for myself — and futures for others.”

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
MJ and a slew of other's to purchase the rings and give them back to him just off of the respect for the game and I mention MJ because he's a billionaire and I would rather see him or other's that are fit in the money department do it rather than some ol white owner who would just keep em as collectors items and brag about how he owns Kareem's shit.

He's already in the books,no one can erase what he's done and a ring is nice but it can't and won't compare .

Good luck....60?I'll get out bidded at 61 so no need for me to even waste my time.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So current NBA players are supposed to buy the rings and give them back to Kareem? BGOL is always tryin to tell another man how to spend HIS money. :lol:

"Supposed to" no. But it'd be a nice gesture for all he's done for the game and the league.

BGOL always gotta have one thoughtless person being THOUGHTLESS.
tenor.gif

thundercat

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
"Supposed to" no. But it'd be a nice gesture for all he's done for the game and the league.

BGOL always gotta have a thoughtless person being THOUGHTLESS.
tenor.gif

If you don't cut that bullshit out. Kareem has a reputation for being an asshole and not dealing with this generations players, but they're supposed to come to his aid, even though he explicitly said the money wasn't for him. Some of you people live in a dreamworld I swear.

datboi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If you don't cut that bullshit out. Kareem has a reputation for being an asshole and not dealing with this generations players, but they're supposed to come to his aid, even though he explicitly said the money wasn't for him. Some of you people live in a dreamworld I swear.
I would say fuck this new niggas too.
Imagine you worked for Amazon 20 years ago making peanuts and you retired and watch these new niggas doing half the productions work ethic is lazy as hell and they have A.I. and automation creating one of the richest companies. You helped build that mother fucking and these new cats are making ten times the amount as one of the all time greatest producers in the company history.

thundercat

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Some of you people live in a shittier world than the rest of us.

Yeah, keep being naive and thinking other men who you have ZERO relationship with are going to come to your rescue. If you had said the Lakers doing it in gratitude for everything he's done for the franchise, I'd be with you, but strangers? Nigga please. And this is coming from a lifelong Lakers fan.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah, keep being naive and thinking other men who you have ZERO relationship with are going to come to your rescue. If you had said the Lakers doing it in gratitude for everything he's done for the franchise, I'd be with you, but strangers? Nigga please. And this is coming from a lifelong Lakers fan.

You're being naive and thoughtless. Players spend more than a 100k on a night at the club. They can easily write the cost of the rings off as a charitable donation on their taxes being that the rings are for charity.

Again, you're not recognizing the bigger significance and that's ok.

thundercat

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I would say fuck this new niggas too.
Imagine you worked for Amazon 20 years ago making peanuts and you retired and watch these new niggas doing half the productions work ethic is lazy as hell and they have A.I. and automation creating one of the richest companies. You helped build that mother fucking and these new cats are making ten times the amount as one of the all time greatest producers in the company history.

If he was having real financial troubles(Which he said he isn't. I don't know why people are glancing over that part and creating their own narrative), it should be the Lakers who step in to make sure one of their ambassadors is in a good place in life.

thundercat

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You're being naive and thoughtless. Players spend more than a 100k on a night at the club. They can easily write the cost of the rings off as a charitable donation on their taxes being that the rings are for charity.

Again, you're not recognizing the bigger significance and that's ok.

:lol:...right. Enjoy the rest of your evening, dude.

Soul On Ice

Democrat 1st!
Certified Pussy Poster
I would rather someone(s) with the means just make a large donation to his foundation.

Doesn't seem quite right, to me, that a man has to sell of his personal belongings to help educate kids.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
One of the two greatest mindfucks ever growing

Up was

Seeing this legend named Kareem and Up

On the cover of jet magazine with a weird looking tiny white bitch..

At a very young age I KNEW there was something wrong with that..

Never cared for him since....

He had a fuck you I'm doing me fuck what ubthink attitude

Which is cool but be consistent with it...

Is all I'm saying..

And it's cool he ain't begging nobody for nothing

But you don't sell that stuff you pass it on to your seeds...

And it ain't for no foundation..

It's for his foundation to wash that money up so he can use it to maintain his lifestyle...

GangGangOrca

Rising Star
Registered
and I mention MJ because he's a billionaire and I would rather see him or other's that are fit in the money department do it rather than some ol white owner who would just keep em as collectors items and brag about how he owns Kareem's shit.

LOL MJ? Cheese Eyes MJ? Mr. "I don't take pictures with niggas" MJ? Mr. "Republicans buy sneaker too" MJ? Michael the boot cut bandit Jordan?

Sheeeeeit.

Hell would freeze over first

alexw

Unapologetically Afrikan!
Platinum Member
This is the classic example of why athletes need to get their maximum worth and not give these owners discounts to chase rings.

Melo will never get a ring but he got every dollar possible.

What good is this ring when you go broke and have to sell it anyway?

Get that paper

JazzyBenz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
the rising all-start winners last night got what...25k each for winning....that'd be a start...ijs

ronmch20

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Imagine if this was a Jew needing funds to continue a work to help other Jews, especially the young. You can bet he or she wouldn't have to sell off personal property to keep a much needed social project afloat. Unfortunately way too many of us especially the wealthy turn a blind eye toward donating money to help the race progress. In the case of Kareem, the excuse is we're not giving him a dime because he's an asshole and a loner, not because he is, but rather because saying so eases their conscious for not supporting a proud black man who apparently has never and will never kiss whitey's ass for anything be it a job in the NBA or anything else .

Such conviction shines a shameful light on those of us who can but won't donate to a worthy cause like STEM but have no problem spending millions on ridiculous bling. Every other race and, in the case of Jews, religion will dig deep to support their own; we too often make excuses not to. How often, if ever, have you seen a destitute Jew? Hopefully the MJs, Tylers, Oprahs and multi-millionaire sports, entertainment and business figures who can step up, will. And yes I'll walk the walk too and donate. If anyone else is so inclined here's the link : http://skyhookfoundation.org :hmm: