Crazy landlord disrupts 2-year-old’s birthday party demanding the tenants pay rent early!

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
It's better ways to handle that than disrupting a child's birthday party. If they are behind on rent do you think they are going to give it to you there?

Some landlords believe that if they're big enough assholes they can intimidate tenants to paying the rent without calling the authorities. I hate to say it, but it works.

Facebook just reminded me that I was in a rent strike 9 years ago. In response this landlord cut off the power and padlocked the water mains. He also came in with a crew of six guys who took back all the rental furniture, tore the blinds off the windows, cut out all of the electrical outlets and ripped the front door from the hinges.

He also tried to have me arrested on false charges and told the police that I was an illegal immigrant. He sent me multiple threatening text messages saying that I would be deported if I didn't leave or pay rent immediately. On a couple occasions he even threatened my life.

According to the tenancy guide I could have sued him for up to $1,000 over this kind of harassment. Problem was, when I called my former roommates they refuse to go to court. They basically told me "I don't ever want to see that guy again. I was lucky to get out with my life and freedom."

We eventually won the strike, but that assholegot everything he wanted minus a few month's rent.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
Not if you haven't paid your rent for the 3rd time big homie.

You'd be doing the same shyt.

Here's how evictions work in California.

Rent is due on the 1st. After that you have four grace days to make the payment.

If you don't pay by the 5th the landlord can issue a pay or quit notice. That means you have 3 days to either pay rent in full or move without it affecting your rental history.

If you don't pay by the 9th the landlord can hire a process server to post an eviction notice. It will include a court date which usually occurs within 2 to 4 weeks.

If you lose your case, or don't show up to court, you have 48 hours to get everything out of the home before the sheriff padlocks the doors and the landlord sells all remaining positions.

Assuming Connecticut has a similar procedure the only way that these people could stay there 3 months without paying rent is if either

1) the landlord never started the eviction process

2) she's about to do something that will lose her case.

145evil

Rising Star
Registered
Some landlords believe that if they're big enough assholes they can intimidate tenants to paying the rent without calling the authorities. I hate to say it, but it works.

Facebook just reminded me that I was in a rent strike 9 years ago. In response this landlord cut off the power and padlocked the water mains. He also came in with a crew of six guys who took back all the rental furniture, tore the blinds off the windows, cut out all of the electrical outlets and ripped the front door from the hinges.

He also tried to have me arrested on false charges and told the police that I was an illegal immigrant. He sent me multiple threatening text messages saying that I would be deported if I didn't leave or pay rent immediately. On a couple occasions he even threatened my life.

According to the tenancy guide I could have sued him for up to $1,000 over this kind of harassment. Problem was, when I called my former roommates they refuse to go to court. They basically told me "I don't ever want to see that guy again. I was lucky to get out with my life and freedom."

We eventually won the strike, but that assholegot everything he wanted minus a few month's rent.
Damn, I hate that s.o.b put you through all of that.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
Damn, I hate that s.o.b put you through all of that.

It sucked, but it took a lot of bad decisions to get to that point. It was inevitable that I would run into an asshole that would take advantage of my desperation.

That was also the point that I started to make better choices and turn my life around. I'm incredibly lucky to have as many chances as I did.