Cory Booker 2020 ???

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
ELECTIONS

‘You don’t give a speech like this unless you’re running for president’: Cory Booker roars into Iowa
The New Jersey senator unofficially launched his 2020 campaign Saturday.

“He’s been a face of the resistance,” said one Iowan of New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker, who spoke Saturday at the Iowa Democratic Party’s annual Fall Gala in Des Moines. | Charlie Neibergall/AP Photo

Politico
By NATASHA KORECKI
10/07/2018

DES MOINES — Just hours after casting a vote in one of the most contentious Supreme Court confirmation battles in history, Cory Booker stepped on stage in a packed Iowa conference hall and unofficially launched his 2020 campaign.

Speaking before 1,500 energized Democrats at the party’s premier Fall Gala event, the New Jersey senator acknowledged their likely feelings of defeat and anger after the confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh earlier that day. He then delved into race struggles, poverty, his own personal political defeats and finding faith, despite it all.

If other top-tier potential contenders weren’t rethinking their decision to avoid Iowa this far in advance of 2020, they might be now.

Booker had the room silently mesmerized at some points and wonroaring standing ovations at others.

“How long will it take? I’m going to tell you, not long now,” Booker roared, quoting from Martin Luther King Jr.’s legendary 1965 speech in Montgomery, Ala. “Because it’s not long until November!”

Then to an energizedcrowd, on its feet and responding in unison to his question: How long? “NOT LONG.”

This was a prized speaking slot for Booker, putting him in front of Iowa’s political luminaries, including ex-governor and former U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack, every 2018 statewide nominee, and scores of the party’s most active members.

It was at this event in 2007, then called the Jefferson-Jackson Dinner, where another 40-something, African-American senator — Barack Obama — delivered soaring remarks, leading some to declare that Obama won the 2008 Iowa caucuses that verynight.

“You don’t give a speech like that unless you’re running for president,” Scott Brennan, Iowa Democratic National Committee member and a former state party chairman, said afterward.

Booker’s appearance couldn’t come at a better time for him politically, just as he comes off one of the most prominent stretches of his political career. Before a nation captivated by the Brett Kavanaugh hearings, the New Jersey Democrat played an outsized role as agitator: releasing key documents, walking out at one point, and seizing the spotlight at another by saying he was willing to risk expulsion from the chamber in what he called his “‘I am Spartacus’ moment.”

Booker’s hard-charging performance in the Senate Judiciary Committee commanded the attention of Iowa Democrats before he even arrived in Des Moines.

“He’s been a face of the resistance,” Brennan said. “We Iowans are stuck with Chuck Grassley and have been since the beginning of time. It was nice to see somebody who wanted to get to the truth.”

Still, it will take far more than one speech for Iowans, who are more than accustomed to seeing presidential prospects up close, to settle on any one candidate just now.

“He was pretty good,” Tim Gannon, Democratic candidate for state secretary of agriculture, shrugged flatly after Booker’s speech. Noting he’d reserve judgment until he sees all the other possible 2020 contenders, he added: “I’m from Iowa.”

“He can’t just fly in and fly out of Des Moines,” said Patty Judge, a former Iowa lieutenant governor and secretary of agriculture. “Iowans expect candidates to meet people face to face — and multiple times.”

Booker seems to understand as much. He has in-state events planned for the next several days, including a series of stops that will help Iowa Democrats launch a major push for early voting, which begins on Monday.

Booker’s appearance at the marquee Iowa fundraising event comes as other top-tier 2020 potentials have shied away from showing up to this first presidential state, fearing they’d be accused of taking their eye off the criticalmidterm elections.

Even if Booker hasn’t officially announced a presidential run, he’s considered among the top candidates with such aspirations. He’s visited 15 different states to support other candidates since 2017 and is planning an event in South Carolina later this month. And the first-term senator has been careful not to give the impression his eye is fixed beyond his home state: He is holding 20 events this year supporting New Jersey candidates.

Asked whether he is running in 2020, Booker on Saturday said he is thinking only about the midterm elections at the moment.

Still, President Donald Trump seems to view him as a potential rival: Booker was among the potential 2020 challengers Trump specifically criticized at a rally in Kansas on Saturday night, and the president singled him out last week at a news conference, calling Booker “a horrible mayor” in reference to his prior service as the mayor of Newark.

“I will never let him pull me so low as to hate him,” Booker, talking to reporters after the event, said of Trump. “I’m going to continue to be a voice in this country for the love, for bringing the nation together, not driving the nation apart.”

In Iowa, Booker proved to be a top draw for the state party — the gala was sold out, with 1,500 seats filled. That’s compared with two years ago, when 600 people attended, Iowa Democratic Party Chair Troy Price said.

“People will be fired up and that will all be on display,” Price told POLITICO. Price described soaring Democratic energy across the state, with absentee ballots coming back almost 5-to-1 in the party’s favor, then pointing to the doubling in size of the party’s premier event on Saturday, saying it will serve only to further energize Democrats. “They’ll see how far our party has come.”

One day before Booker’s anticipated appearance, California Sen. Kamala Harris — another Democratic 2020 prospect who has yet to make her first Iowa trip— made calls within the state giving word that she would appear here after all, likely sometime during the week beforethe November election.

Rep. Tim Ryan of Ohio was touring the state over the past couple of days. Washington Gov. Jay Inslee, who also serves as Democratic Governors Association chair, will headline an event here next week. Later this month, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders will campaign with Democratic congressional candidate J.D. Scholten. That’s all on top of Rep. John Delaney of Maryland, who’s already visited each of the early state’s 99 counties, and billionaire activist Tom Steyer, who has been investing heavily in Iowa voter registration and GOTV efforts.

Iowans have already had a taste of Booker from his multiple trips to the state as a Hillary Clinton surrogate in 2016. On Saturday, he made clear he also had roots here, detailing family ties to Buxton, an old mining community in rural Iowa. During his remarks, Booker introduced his mother, his 99-year-old great aunt and what he described as “50 cousins” from Iowa, after weaving through a personal narrative that traced back to his relatives’ trek to the state.

He recounted what his mother told him before he was sworn in as a U.S. senator.

“Boy, don’t you forget where you came from,” Booker said his mother told him as he approached then-Vice President Joe Biden to be sworn in. “The title doesn’t make the man, the man has got to make the title.”

Republicans here were prepped for Booker’s run through the state, arguing that his visit served to reinvigorate their party, since he’s among the Democrats the GOP views as an obstacle to Trump’s agenda. On Saturday, the GOP party chair trolled Booker, derisivelycalling him “Senator ‘Spartacus.’”

“Cory Booker’s warm welcome in Des Moines tonight tells Iowans all they need to know about what these Democrats will do if elected - and that’s an approach that puts obstruction, political stunts, and resistance over results and promises kept,” Republican Party of Iowa Chairman Jeff Kaufmann said in a statement. “Senator ‘Spartacus’ thinks his vapid stunts in New Jersey and DC have earned him front runner status for 2020, but voters across Iowa will grow tired of his premeditated outrage.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/10/07/cory-booker-iowa-2020-880192

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
don't think this country will put a black bachelor in the white house. Solid VP pick at best.

If you happen to know where I can go to nominate someone to the Good Sense Democratic Strategy Committee, please let me know !!!

muckraker10021

Superstar *****
BGOL Investor
I don't think this country will put a black bachelor in the white house. Solid VP pick at best.

Booker loves women. Who is this mysterious, reserved woman that has captured Booker’s heart? and is his girlfriend?
cory-booker-2.png

Chandra Gibson
Gibson is a scholastic genius. She graduated from elite American institutions, having acquired her undergraduate degree in political science and African American studies from Stanford University before getting her juris doctorate degree from the University of Southern California Law School in Los Angeles.

Now a practicing attorney, Gibson went on to work at the prestigious Goldman Sachs and then a few other places before taking on her current role at the Council of Urban Professionals.

Your Tango reports that Gibson became involved with Booker by being introduced to the charismatic senator through her sister and then working on his campaign.

“Around that time my sister introduced me to Senator Cory Booker, who was getting ready to run for Newark mayor. Cory became a kind of spiritual adviser on those days when I would say ‘What am I doing with my life?’ One day, he said: ‘If you want to do something you believe in, quit your job and come help me run for Mayor’,” she said

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Cory Booker ends 2020 presidential campaign

1578934219168.png

CNN
By Rebecca Buck
Mon January 13, 2020

(CNN) Sen. Cory Booker announced Monday that he will end his campaign after failing to qualify for the Democratic debate planned for Tuesday in Iowa.

"It was a difficult decision to make, but I got in this race to win, and I've always said I wouldn't continue if there was no longer a path to victory," Booker said in an email to supporters Monday.

The New Jersey Democrat's announcement came a day before six presidential candidates will participate in the CNN/Des Moines Register's debate in Des Moines, Iowa. He did not qualify for the event. It also came as the Senate gears up for the impeachment trial of President Donald Trump.
"Our campaign has reached the point where we need more money to scale up and continue building a campaign that can win -- money we don't have, and money that is harder to raise because I won't be on the next debate stage and because the urgent business of impeachment will rightly be keeping me in Washington," Booker wrote.

His announcement marks another departure of a high-profile black candidate from the 2020 race. After not making the December debate, Booker criticized the rules that kept him from qualifying for the event and was outspoken about the growing lack of diversity on stage.
Booker made the decision over the weekend to drop out of the race, a campaign aide tells CNN.

The looming impeachment trial, which would have kept Booker off of the trail for some time, was "a piece, but not a big piece" of his decision. Most importantly, Booker believed he did not have the resources to truly be competitive moving forward. Booker reported raising $6.6 million in the last quarter of 2019, a fraction of the amounts raised by the top Democratic candidates. It's not clear how much money he had left in the bank.
It is also not clear whether Booker plans to endorse another Democratic candidate in the primary, the aide said, but as his statement made clear, he will support the nominee.

The New Jersey Democrat ran for president aiming to restore a sense of community and mend the moral fabric of America.
Booker launched his candidacy in February 2019 with a message he would remain faithful to throughout his campaign, calling on Americans who are feeling "a common pain" to come together in "common purpose" for greater justice and systemic change.

Booker pressed for reforming the nation's gun laws, including establishing a national gun license program. He advocated expansive criminal justice reform, including legalizing marijuana and expunging records of those already convicted for marijuana-related crimes. And Booker frequently shone a light on policy blindspots concerning marginalized communities, citing his own low-income, minority-majority neighborhood in Newark.

But unlike some of his rivals, Booker focused less on policy than on the "spiritual" side of the presidency. He viewed the White House as a moral post from which to inspire and guide a dispirited nation.

Even as his campaign failed to pick up steam, Booker rejected pivoting from that message or overhauling his strategy. Instead, he continued to preach the need for "radical love" -- resisting the political incentive structure, in the age of Trump, that rewards channeling the anger of some Democratic activists.

At times, Booker's stump speech could assume the quality of a TED Talk or a sermon, moving members of the audience to tears and converting many to supporters. But ultimately that small-scale passion did not translate into broader support for Booker, who polled in the low single digits for much of his campaign.

His advisers maintained that if only Booker could introduce himself to more voters, he stood a chance of becoming more competitive. But a few factors prevented the sort of breakout moment that many political prognosticators believed would come for Booker, but never did.
Throughout 2019, Booker's fundraising paled in comparison to that of the top-tier Democratic candidates, limiting his capacity to expand his campaign team and advertise on television. In December, Booker failed to qualify for the debate stage, in part because his campaign did not have enough money to boost his polling.

Booker could also be difficult to define as a candidate. Although he aimed for a middle-road between the party's most progressive candidates and its moderate entrants, Booker might have landed in a political no-man's-land, without a clear ideological brand to attract undecided voters.
Booker's background as a former mayor and Rhodes Scholar did not receive the same attention as those of others, like Pete Buttigieg, another Rhodes Scholar and now-former mayor of South Bend, Indiana, who became an object of the public's and media's fascination.
Booker also was not eager to highlight contrasts with his rivals, even as other candidates benefited from such attacks.

One exception was when Booker, over the summer, took on former Vice President Joe Biden for using the term "boy" in a manner demeaning to African Americans. When Biden suggested Booker should be the one to apologize, Booker did not back down.

"I was raised to speak truth to power and that I shall never apologize for doing that," Booker told CNN's Don Lemon at the time. "And Vice President Biden shouldn't need this lesson."

Booker was consistently lauded for his debate performances, when he often commanded the stage. But those were ultimately not enough to boost his profile in the crowded 2020 primary.

When Booker failed to meet the polling requirements for the December Democratic debate, he acknowledged it was a setback for his campaign, but vowed to keep pushing on, citing his strong organization in Iowa and other early states.

But his path to an upset was further complicated by the looming impeachment trial in the Senate, which would have pulled him off the campaign trail.
In his announcement to supporters, Booker said he would do "everything in my power to elect the eventual Democratic nominee for president, whomever that may be, and to elect great Democrats to the Senate and up and down the ballot."