Corporate Externalities (We Make the Money You Clean Up The Messes)

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
source: The Corporation

Loyal to the country or the corporation? Who is dying for what?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aCGTD5Bn1m0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aCGTD5Bn1m0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Obadiah Plainman

Potential Star
Registered
Thanks, interesting topic. I've noted "externalities" before, didn't know the name of it, but the idea of passing the buck is prevalent among the higher echelon of our corporate society. I'll probably watch that whole series on Youtube later.

Last edited:

nittie

Star
Registered
Get new people in those positions. Anyone who couldn't see that Americans paying $4.00 per gallon for gas would ruin the world's economy don't need to be making decisions.

Obadiah Plainman

Potential Star
Registered
Again, good documentary. Watched the whole thing on youtube. For those confused readers, this documentary is actually about the nature of corporations, and has nothing to do with bailouts, unions or auto industry executives. It breaks down the history and objectives of Multi National Corporations. Well done, pretty informative stuff .

Last edited:

watchin

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
Again, good documentary. Watched the whole thing on youtube. For those confused readers, this documentary is actually about the nature of corporations, and has nothing to do with bailouts, unions or auto industry executives. It breaks down the history and objectives of Multi National Corporations. Well done, pretty informative stuff .

Thank you! Bookmarked. Looks quite interesting.

Greed

Star
Registered
For us confused readers, were we supposed to ignore the subject line of this thread.

Anyway, if you believe the goals of corporations are varied but all lead to the same anti-social results, then you should still agree with my previous post.

Obadiah Plainman

Potential Star
Registered
For us confused readers, were we supposed to ignore the subject line of this thread.

Anyway, if you believe the goals of corporations are varied but all lead to the same anti-social results, then you should still agree with my previous post.

I think the title was a general comment reflecting the intense focus or tunnel vision of some corporations. They do in fact create wealth while plundering; illegal dumping, with disregard for the interest of their workers safety or that of the communities they service. They do this and routinely leave the cleanup for the tax payers, while leaving the impression that they care.

Sure your point speaks to the conservative point of view that in a free market system bailouts are unlikely to resolve the core issues (i got it). btw the recent $17.4b was a loan not a gift(bailout), furthermore it was necessary in for the greater good, the interest of the American economy. Multi-Nationals are hardly equipped to incorporate such factors as (the human cost) in their bottom line analysis. I may be wrong, I got your connection anyway. Funny Newhart clip.

Last edited:

Greed

Star
Registered
Corporations have your money when you don't want them to have it because your government gave it to them. When you look at that scenario you blame the corporation. When I look at that scenario I blame the government.

In my perfect world, a corporation would only hold a dollar, that use to be your dollar, because they created a product that you wanted, and then you voluntarily handed over your money. For some reason you call that logic a conservative point of view.

I wonder how can a corporation plunder. If you don’t buy their product, they don’t come to your house and take your money. The plunder - coming to your house if you refuse to pay - is done by a form of government that is based on your and the OP’s principles. Need-based government.

The world we live in is where anybody can get money from you, without your consent, if they can effectively say to a politician they need it. You aren’t against the logic in general, because you want the average Joe to have access to money that isn’t his. However, the system is flawed because the people or entities most effective at begging like pathetic dogs are usually rich and can afford lobbyist. Corporations and individuals do not have a duty to look out for anyone other than themselves. Politicians are different in that regard. I don’t blame corporations for taking essentially free money from politicians giving it away. I blame the politician for giving it away.

This also goes for everything else you complain about regarding corporations. What do they really do on a large scale that government isn't letting them get away with if it’s bad for others?

Obadiah Plainman

Potential Star
Registered
Corporations have your money when you don't want them to have it because your government gave it to them. When you look at that scenario you blame the corporation. When I look at that scenario I blame the government.

In my perfect world, a corporation would only hold a dollar, that use to be your dollar, because they created a product that you wanted, and then you voluntarily handed over your money. For some reason you call that logic a conservative point of view.

I wonder how can a corporation plunder. If you don’t buy their product, they don’t come to your house and take your money. The plunder - coming to your house if you refuse to pay - is done by a form of government that is based on your and the OP’s principles. Need-based government.

The world we live in is where anybody can get money from you, without your consent, if they can effectively say to a politician they need it. You aren’t against the logic in general, because you want the average Joe to have access to money that isn’t his. However, the system is flawed because the people or entities most effective at begging like pathetic dogs are usually rich and can afford lobbyist. Corporations and individuals do not have a duty to look out for anyone other than themselves. Politicians are different in that regard. I don’t blame corporations for taking essentially free money from politicians giving it away. I blame the politician for giving it away.

This also goes for everything else you complain about regarding corporations. What do they really do on a large scale that government isn't letting them get away with if it’s bad for others?

First off, I don't blame corporations for having my money. Not sure if you're commenting on the recent $14b loaned to Chrysler GM or corporations in general. Either way I personally was not against the auto loans. I believe that it was necessary in order to prevent the total collapse of the American economy, the big three knew it was necessary too, which is why they went to congress and why congress capitulated so quickly.

Anyway greed, I think you should watch the video. Much of the responses I make directly relate to opinions expressed there in. When I speak to conservative views being against bailouts, I do so because the Vocal majority of Senators that voted against the auto Industry "bailout", and some who argued against the 700b bank bailout were in fact Republicans who describe themselves as conservative. That's not an insult or put down its just a fact. Southern conservatives were against aiding the big three, its suppliers, and its blue collar employees in their time of need.

The plunder that I reference is a direct quote from one of the speakers; a CEO from the documentary that this thread is actually about. He discusses how over 21 years he never gave a care about the land he raped in their resource grab. He describes what he and most corporations did and do now as "plundering the earth", makes comments along those lines several times through out.

Don't get me wrong I understand exactly what the responsibilities of a corporation are, this documentary goes further the basics. Corporate obligations revolve around the acquisition of wealth for its members. Corporate decisions are primarily based on the algorithms of the market place, with this platform they are successful at building revenue. This financial success doesn't however guarantee that societies run under this governmental tangent are capable of sustainability. There is no precedent for a corporately dominated nation or world for that matter, a world wherein nation states are beholden to the companies that surf across planet looking for the perfect deal, surfing the planet affecting lives for the good and bad strictly according to economic doctrine. Having no soul, they are shady if you like it or not.

The point is our nation is moving away from democratic control an into the uncharted waters corporately sponsored democracy. This movie gives one point of view on this and other topics, I enjoyed it. Maybe you should check it out.

Cruise

Star
Registered
I've seen the Corporation before, but there are so many gems in it.

I always appreciate clips like this.

The point is our nation is moving away from democratic control an into the uncharted waters corporately sponsored democracy. This movie gives one point of view on this and other topics, I enjoyed it. Maybe you should check it out.

The US was never a democracy. It was never based on democratic control.

The sooner people realize the US is/was/never will be a DEMOCRACY, the sooner they can understand why the government is the way it is.

A corporation is like a SUPER-CITIZEN. In fact, in the sense of a monarchy, it is like a nobleman.

The US was founded on the concept of noblemen (landed gentry) controlling the nation.

As the laws developed, these noblemen organized into lawful groups, called corporations. They allowed for individual profit WITHOUT individual responsibility.

These corporations now dictate the policy, direction, and legal framework of the United States.

The rest of us are just commoners, serfs, and chattel for the corporations. We are without power and without voice. As unincorporated individuals, we control very little and are controlled by the corporate agent.

Obadiah Plainman

Potential Star
Registered
.............The US was never a democracy. It was never based on democratic control.

The sooner people realize the US is/was/never will be a DEMOCRACY, the sooner they can understand why the government is the way it is.

A corporation is like a SUPER-CITIZEN. In fact, in the sense of a monarchy, it is like a nobleman.

The US was founded on the concept of noblemen (landed gentry) controlling the nation.

As the laws developed, these noblemen organized into lawful groups, called corporations. They allowed for individual profit WITHOUT individual responsibility.

These corporations now dictate the policy, direction, and legal framework of the United States.

The rest of us are just commoners, serfs, and chattel for the corporations. We are without power and without voice. As unincorporated individuals, we control very little and are controlled by the corporate agent.

Was my congresswoman selected by noblemen to represent my community or was she elected by her congressional district?

Democracy-government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.

Republic-a state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them.

Corporation-an association of individuals, created by law or under authority of law, having a continuous existence independent of the existences of its members, and powers and liabilities distinct from those of its members.

Declaration of Independence
........We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness..............
http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/document/index.htm

The US Constitution

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html

My point with all these quotes and links is only to point to reality and suggest to you that the United States of American is and always has been in fact a Representative form of Democracy, called a Republic. That the noblemen and their systems that you speak of are in fact the very peoples that the colonists were attempting to escape from when they began coming to the new world. Because the wealthy and the powerful of our nation have been allowed by the people to control major portions of this Republic through coercion and or bribery does not in anyway negate the initial framing.......Its always possible that I may be wrong.

Cruise

Star
Registered
Was my congresswoman selected by noblemen to represent my community or was she elected by her congressional district?

Democracy-government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.

Republic-a state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them.

Corporation-an association of individuals, created by law or under authority of law, having a continuous existence independent of the existences of its members, and powers and liabilities distinct from those of its members.

The US Constitution

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html

My point with all these quotes and links is only to point to reality and suggest to you that the United States of American is and always has been in fact a Representative form of Democracy, called a Republic. That the noblemen and their systems that you speak of are in fact the very peoples that the colonists were attempting to escape from when they began coming to the new world. Because the wealthy and the powerful of our nation have been allowed by the people to control major portions of this Republic through coercion and or bribery does not in anyway negate the initial framing.......Its always possible that I may be wrong.

Can't the same be said of a one-party fascist government or a one-party communist government? You get a vote but it doesn't really matter because all candidates advance the same agenda. You are only choosing based on the superficial differences.

They all say they are government by the people, for the people, chosen by the people.

It's just that the people really have no choice in the matter.

These are all illusions used by the noblemen to give the appearance of power while, in fact, the people have no power at all.

As far as your congresswoman, who cares if the people "elected" her, if once she gets in office, she serves the purposes and agenda of the noblemen/corporate interests.

Power by the people is impossible if the people don't know what the hell is happening. It is impossible for them to act in their own interests.

This is the nature of all current governments, including the United States. The government wants to know all about you, but you don't get to know about the government.

The United States form of government is no better than any other form of government.

When people realize this, they can take action, and begin to advance their own interests rather than the corporate ones.

Last edited:

Obadiah Plainman

Potential Star
Registered
Can't the same be said of a one-party fascist government or a one-party communist government? You get a vote but it doesn't really matter because all candidates advance the same agenda. You are only choosing based on the superficial differences.

I don't agree that all party's or candidates advance the same agenda. The Democractic, Republican, Libertarian, Green........parties all have varying differences as to how they believe the US should be piloted. I believe on many topics their lines merge (sometimes to the detriment of the peoples interest)but ultimately with the best wishes of the Nation at hand.

This however doesn't ally American Democracy with the systems you've attempted to compare us with.

The Civil war was a prime example, Lincoln may have been indifferent to slavery in theory, but when it came to the success of this young nation he saw it was an evil that would destroy the unity and could no longer be tolerated. This is the essence of a Democracy, ready to go to blows for what you believe.

They all say they are government by the people, for the people, chosen by the people.

It's just that the people really have no choice in the matter.

These are all illusions used by the noblemen to give the appearance of power while, in fact, the people have no power at all.

Your theory of the all powerful "noblemen" is merely conspiratorial conjecture without supporting evidence. To just say "they", or to simply lay out a thought snagged out of thin air, is weak. I agree that evil exist, that powerful entities infiltrate the halls of justice as they do the halls of government. But to suggest that "their" will be done consistently, since this nations inception, without any shred of proof is laughable.

As far as your congresswoman, who cares if the people "elected" her, if once she gets in office, she serves the purposes and agenda of the noblemen/corporate interests.

Power by the people is impossible if the people don't know what the hell is happening. It is impossible for them to act in their own interests.

This is the nature of all current governments, including the United States. The government wants to know all about you, but you don't get to know about the government.

The United States form of government is no better than any other form of government.

When people realize this, they can take action, and begin to advance their own interests rather than the corporate ones.

In this entire passage you seem to suggest that the people have no portals to knowledge, that their somehow being restricted from what really goes on in the our government. If so, you're incorrect. In fact in this day and age there are more outlets to the truth than have ever existed. Nearly every day just on this site posters are attempting to open the eyes of the blinded. Those who focus not on C-Span but American Idol remain lost. Those who bore quickly are the ones who have chosen not to "know what the hell is happening". The power of the people is dependent on the people being involved. If one chooses to not to be and allow themselves to be distracted by the "super citizen", all while the hired hands of the corporation choose to be very involved, the people lost from inaction.

Last edited:

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

Another crock-of-shit explanation of government and corporations. Why do people just make shit up to explain that which they don't understand ? ? ?

QueEx

Cruise

Star
Registered
I don't agree that all party's or candidates advance the same agenda. The Democractic, Republican, Libertarian, Green........parties all have varying differences as to how they believe the US should be piloted. I believe on many topics their lines merge (sometimes to the detriment of the peoples interest)but ultimately in the best wishes of the Nation at the forefront.

This however doesn't ally Democracy with the systems you've attempted to compare us with.

The Civil war was a prime example, Lincoln may have been indifferent to slavery in theory, but when it came to the success of this young nation he saw it was an evil that would destroy the unity and could no longer be tolerated. This is the essence of a Democracy, ready to go to blows for what you believe.

You're theory of the all powerful "noblemen" is merely conspiratorial conjecture without supporting evidence. To just say "they" or lay out an entire thought snagged out of thin air, is weak. I agree that evil exist, that powerful entities infiltrate the halls of justice as they do the halls of government. But to suggest that "their" will be done consistently since this nations inception without any shred of proof is laughable.

In this entire passage you seem to suggest that the people have no portals to knowledge, that their somehow being restricted from what really goes on in the our government. If so, You're incorrect. In fact in this day and age there are more outlets to the truth than have ever existed. Nearly every day just on this site posters are attempting to open the eyes of the blinded. Those who focus not on C-Span but American Idol remain lost. Those who bore quickly are the ones who have chosen not to "know what the hell is happening". The power of the people is dependent on the people being involved. If one chooses to not to be and allow them selves to be distracted by the "super citizen", all while the hired hands of the corporation choose to be very involved, the people lost from inaction.

There are many who have the idealistic view this country is "good" and that it limits the "evil" because of its will.

I don't believe in "good" and "evil" or any moral argument when it comes to government.

My only point is the interests of the people are always superseded by the interests of the state, I don't care what kind of government you have.

Before you start worshipping the holy honkey of Lincoln (sorry, just had to get my dig in there:D),
I see the Civil War more as a conflict between the northern manufacturing interests (slavery by wage) fighting the southern agricultural interests (slavery by force).

Lincoln was neither "good" nor "evil" in his actions. He simply acted in the interests of those noblemen/supercitizens he represented. Similarly, Jefferson Davis did likewise. The average joe got nothing out of the bargain but death, misery, and sacrifice.

For the hundreds of thousands who lost their lives (and really the slaves), how did life really improve in the following decades?

The state, or US government (or any government) always exercises its will to the detriment of the people.

Why? The government is a tool by which the powerful control the weak.

The weak, let's define as those ignorant, without access to information.

It is the role of government, therefore to limit the access to information available to the majority of the population (with an "education" system, propaganda, secretive law-making process), to the benefit of a minority (could be lords, could be party leaders, could be corporate agents, could be landowners, could be intellectuals, etc.).

The masters of information, in the case of the US, are the corporate interests. Before that, it was the landowners. Either way, the people were/are merely "resources" for exploitation.

These "human resources" are given the illusion that they matter, that they are important, that they count to make them easier to control. But, in the end, the only ones with control, today, are the corporations and their agents.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Corporations are the enemy of democracy. The more power corporations acquire, the less democracy we have. I suggest you visit your local library and rent The Corporation DVD. It is two plus hours of powerful information and it has a separated DVD with interviews of the participants in the documentary.

Ironically, corporations became powerful using the laws that were constructed to emancipate African Americans.

jeanzy5342

Support BGOL
Registered
Corporations are the enemy of democracy. The more power corporations acquire, the less democracy we have. I suggest you visit your local library and rent The Corporation DVD. It is two plus hours of powerful information and it has a separated DVD with interviews of the participants in the documentary.

Ironically, corporations became powerful using the laws that were constructed to emancipate African Americans.

:eek: could you provide a little more detail on the last comment please :yes:

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
:eek: could you provide a little more detail on the last comment please :yes:

Is this enough information for you? I have continually posted information about this subject on this board for years only to be labeled a "lefty" or "liberal", labels I welcome proudly. I guess now that I have some of your attention, I am vindicated. I suggest you search more of my posts on this board. You might become enlightened!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8SuUzmqBewg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8SuUzmqBewg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.bgol.us/board/showthread.php?t=188385

http://en.wikipedia.org

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_personhood

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Clara_County_v._Southern_Pacific_Railroad

http://www.de-fact-o.com/fact_read.php?id=33

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
When The Corportist Tried To Overthrow The US Goverment

source: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,929957-1,00.html

Plot Without Plotters
Monday, Dec. 03, 1934

One frosty dawn in November 1935, 500,000 War veterans rolled out of their blankets in the pine barrens around the CCC camp at Elkridge, Md. The brassy bugle notes of "Assembly" hurried them to the camp's parade ground, where, mounted on a white horse and surrounded by his staff, they found their leader, Major General Smedley Darlington ("Old Gimlet Eye") Butler, U. S. M. C., retired.

"Men," cried General Butler, "Washington is but 30 miles away! Will you follow me?"

The answer was a mighty shout: "We will!"

Squad by squad, half a million men tramped briskly out onto U. S. Highway No. 1 and turned south. A lumbering ammunition train, supplied by Remington Arms Co. and E. I. du Pont de Nemours & Co., brought up the rear. At the head of the long column as it swung along through the misty morning rode General Butler with his high command. Straddling a charger was that grim, oldtime cavalryman, General Hugh Samuel Johnson. General Douglas MacArthur, who only a year before had been the Army's Chief of Staff, trotted jauntily beside him. Behind them clop-clopped three past commanders of the American Legion — Hanford MacNider, Louis Johnson and Henry Stevens. Between them and the first squad of marching men glided a shiny limousine. On its back seat, with a plush robe across their knees, were to be seen John P. Morgan and his partner, Thomas William Lament, deep in solemn talk.

It was nearly sundown before Washington was reached and Pennsylvania Avenue was filled from end to end with this citizen army. His spurs clinked loudly as General Butler strode into President Roosevelt's study. "Mr. President," barked the general, "I have 500,000 men outside who want peace but want something more. I wish you to remove Cordell Hull as Secretary of State."

The President promptly telephoned across the street for Mr. Hull's resignation.

"And now, Mr. President," continued General Butler, "I ask you to fill the vacancy which has just occurred in your Cabinet by appointing me Secretary of State." It took Mr. Roosevelt less than a minute to sign the commission. "Let it be understood," the new Secretary of State told the President, "that henceforth I will act as the nation's executive. You may continue to live here at the White House and draw your salary but you will do and say only what I tell you. If not, you and Vice President Garner will be dealt with as I think best. In that event, as Secretary of State, I shall succeed to the Presidency, as provided by law." The President nodded assent and the U. S. became a Fascist State. Such was the nightmarish page of future U. S. history pictured last week in Manhattan by General Butler himself to the special House Committee investigating Un-American Activities.

No military officer of the U. S. since the late, tempestuous George Custer has succeeded in publicly floundering in so much hot water as Smedley Darlington Butler. After a gallant career in all quarters of the globe with the Marines, General Butler was ''borrowed" by Philadelphia in 1924 to clean up that city's bootlegging. The hot-headed general resigned the following year, declaring that he had been made the respectable "front" for a gang of political racketeers. In 1927 he made front pages again by preferring charges of drunkenness against a Marine colonel in San Diego, Calif, following a party at the colonel's home. Four years later General Butler himself was almost court-martialed for telling a Philadelphia audience that Benito Mussolini was a murderous hit-&-run driver. He was soon embroiled in a row with the Haitian Minister who was quoted as saying that a fort General Butler said he had captured in Haiti had never existed. After these highly embarrassing incidents, General Butler found it best to resign from the Marines in 1931 to devote himself to politics and public speaking as a private citizen. In 1932 he went to Washington to harangue the Bonus Army, was an unsuccessful candidate for Senator from Pennsylvania on a Dry ticket. Last December he exhorted veterans: 'If the Democrats take care of you, keep them in —if not, put 'em out." In May the current Butlerism was: "War Is A Racket." Last month he told a Manhattan Jewish congregation that he would never again fight outside the U. S. General Butler's sensational tongue had not been heard in the nation's Press for more than a week when he cornered a reporter for the Philadelphia Record and the New York Post, poured into his ears the lurid tale that he had been offered leadership of a Fascist Putsch, scheduled for next year.

Congressmen Samuel Dickstein, from Manhattan's lower East Side, and John W. McCormack, from South Boston, picked up the fantastic story and summoned the doughty warrior from his home at Newtown Square, Pa., to a closed hearing of the Un-American Activities Committee.

The general began by saying that last summer Gerald McGuire, a bond salesman for G. M.P. Murphy & Co. of Manhattan, had approached him in behalf of a big private investor named Robert Sterling Clark, offered him $18,000 to address the American Legion convention in behalf of hard money. This the general refused to do. Then, said the general, McGuire. a onetime Connecticut Legion commander, had broached the big plan for the Fascist coup. Du Pont and Remington were putting up the arms. Morgan & Co. and G. M.P. Murphy & Co. were putting up $3,000.000 to raise an army of 500.000 veterans which apparently would be concentrated at Elkridge. If General Butler refused to be "the man on the White Horse" who would lead it into Washington and wrest the Government from Franklin Roosevelt, command would be offered to others in on the scheme—General Johnson, General MacArthur, the three ex-commanders of the American Legion. General Butler said he had "bided his time" until he had heard the whole plot, then made his revelations.

Thanking their stars for having such sure-fire publicity dropped in their laps, Representatives McCormack & Dickstein began calling witnesses to expose the "plot." But there did not seem to be any plotters.

A bewildered army captain, commandant at the Elkridge CCC camp, could shed no light on the report that his post was to be turned into a revolutionary base.

Mr. Morgan, just off a boat from Europe, had nothing to say, but Partner Lamont did: "Perfect moonshine! Too unutterably ridiculous to comment upon!"

"He had better be pretty damn careful," growled General Johnson. "Nobody said a word to me about anything of this kind, and if they did I'd throw them out the window."

G.M.-P. Murphy & Co.'s President Grayson Mallet-Prevost Murphy, Wartime lieutenant colonel, snorted: "A fantasy! . . . and I don't believe there is a word of truth in it with respect to Mr. McGuire."

Investor Clark, in Paris, freely admitted trying to get General Butler to use his influence with the Legion against dollar devaluation, but stoutly declared: "I am neither a Fascist nor a Communist, but an American." He threatened a libel suit "unless the whole affair is relegated to the funny sheets by Sunday."

"It sounds like the best laugh story of the year," chimed in General MacArthur from Washington.

From San Francisco, Socialist Norman Thomas wryly doubted that "it would be worth $3,000,000 to any Wall Street group to attempt to overthrow the Government under the present Administration, because Wall Street and Big Business have flourished under it more than any other group."

Dr. William Albert Wirt, Gary, Ind. school superintendent, who thought the Reds were about to capture the Government last spring, took a practical view of General Butler's Fascist uprising. "Three million dollars would be a mere bagatelle for a revolution," said he. "Why, that would be only $6 a head for an army of 500,000. . . ."

Only public figure to support General Butler's story was Commander James Van Zandt of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. He said he had known about the plot all along, that he had refused to participate in it.

Though most of the country was again laughing at the latest Butler story, the special House Committee declined to join in the merriment. Turning from the Fascist putsch yarn to investigate Communism among New York fur workers, Congressman Dickstein promised Commander Van Zandt a later hearing in Washington. "From present indications," said the publicity-loving New York Representative, "General Butler has the evidence. He's not making serious charges unless he has something to back them up. We will have some men here with bigger names than Butler's before this is over."

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
11361807_e371122a22.jpg

:lol:

The silence is deafening.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Rewarding failure

Obama Caps Executive Pay Tied To Bailout Money (SPEECH TRANSCRIPT)

ShareThisAP | JIM KUHNHENN | February 3, 2009 10:33 PM

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama imposed a $500,000 pay cap on some senior executives whose firms receive government financial rescue money, a dramatic intervention into corporate governance in the midst of financial crisis.

Standing with his Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, Obama said the United States doesn't disparage wealth nor does it begrudge those who succeed, but lavish bonuses for executives at companies seeking taxpayer dollars was unfair.

Read the President's remarks:

Thank you, Tim, for your hard work on this issue and on our economic recovery.

The economic crisis we face is unlike any we've seen in our lifetime. It's a crisis of falling confidence and rising debt. Of widely distributed risk and narrowly concentrated reward. A crisis written in the fine print of sub-prime mortgages, on the ledger lines of once-mighty financial institutions, and on the pink slips that have upended lives and cost the economy 2.6 million jobs last year alone.

We know that even if we do everything we should, this crisis was years in the making, and it will take more than weeks or months to turn things around.

But make no mistake: A failure to act, and act now, will turn crisis into a catastrophe and guarantee a longer recession, a less robust recovery, and a more uncertain future. Millions more jobs will be lost. More businesses will be shuttered. More dreams will be deferred.

That's why I feel such a sense of urgency about the Economic Recovery and Reinvestment Plan that is before Congress today. With it, we can save or create more than three million jobs, doing things that will strengthen our country for generations to come. It is not merely a prescription for short-term spending - it's a strategy for long-term economic growth in areas like renewable energy, health care, and education.

Now, in the past few days I've heard criticisms of this plan that echo the very same failed theories that helped lead us into this crisis - the notion that tax cuts alone will solve all our problems; that we can ignore fundamental challenges like energy independence and the high cost of health care and still expect our economy and our country to thrive.

I reject that theory, and so did the American people when they went to the polls in November and voted resoundingly for change. So I urge members of Congress to act without delay. No plan is perfect, and we should work to make it stronger. But let's not make the perfect the enemy of the essential. Let's show people all over our country who are looking for leadership in this difficult time that we are equal to the task.

At the same time, we know that this Recovery and Reinvestment plan is only the first part of what we need to do to restore prosperity and secure our future. We also need a strong and viable financial system to keep credit flowing to businesses and families alike. My administration will do what it takes to restore our financial system; our recovery depends upon it. And so next week, Secretary Geithner will release a new strategy to get credit moving again - a strategy that will reflect the lessons of past mistakes while laying a foundation for the future.

But in order to restore our financial system, we've got to restore trust. And in order to restore trust, we've got to make certain that taxpayer funds are not subsidizing excessive compensation packages on Wall Street.

We all need to take responsibility. And this includes executives at major financial firms who turned to the American people, hat in hand, when they were in trouble, even as they paid themselves their customary lavish bonuses. As I said last week, that's the height of irresponsibility. That's shameful. And that's exactly the kind of disregard for the costs and consequences of their actions that brought about this crisis: a culture of narrow self-interest and short-term gain at the expense of everything else.

<SPAN style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00">This is America. We don't disparage wealth. We don't begrudge anybody for achieving success. And we believe that success should be rewarded. But what gets people upset - and rightfully so - </SPAN><SPAN style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: RED">Example are executives being rewarded for failure. Especially when those rewards are subsidized by U.S. taxpayers.</SPAN>

For top executives to award themselves these kinds of compensation packages in the midst of this economic crisis is not only in bad taste - it's a bad strategy - and I will not tolerate it as President. We're going to be demanding some restraint in exchange for federal aid - so that when firms seek new federal dollars, we won't find them up to the same old tricks.

As part of the reforms we are announcing today, top executives at firms receiving extraordinary help from U.S. taxpayers will have their compensation capped at $500,000 - a fraction of the salaries that have been reported recently. And if these executives receive any additional compensation, it will come in the form of stock that can't be paid up until taxpayers are paid back for their assistance.

Companies receiving federal aid are going to have to disclose publicly all the perks and luxuries bestowed upon senior executives and provide an explanation to the taxpayers and to shareholders as to why these expenses are justified. And we're putting a stop to these kinds of massive severance packages we've all read about with disgust; we're taking the air out of the golden parachute.

We're asking these firms to take responsibility, to recognize the nature of this crisis and their role in it. We believe that what we've laid out should be viewed as fair and embraced as basic common sense.

Finally, these guidelines we're putting in place are only the beginning of a long-term effort. We're going to examine the ways in which the means and manner of executive compensation have contributed to a reckless culture and quarter-by-quarter mentality that in turn have wrought havoc in our financial system. We're going to be taking a look at broader reforms so that executives are compensated for sound risk management and rewarded for growth measured over years, not just days or weeks.

We've all got to pull together and take our share of responsibility. That's true here in Washington. That's true on Wall Street. The American people are carrying a huge burden as a result of this economic crisis: bearing the brunt of its effects as well as the costs of extraordinary measures we're taking to address it. The American people expect and demand that we pursue policies that reflect the reality of this crisis - and that will prevent these kinds of crises in the future.

Thank you.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
source: Huffington Post

Stewart Parnell, Peanut Corp Owner, Refuses To Testify To Congress In Salmonella Hearing

WASHINGTON — See the jar, the congressman challenged Stewart Parnell, holding up a container of the peanut seller's products and asking if he'd dare eat them. Parnell pleaded the Fifth.

The owner of the peanut company at the heart of the massive salmonella recall refused to answer the lawmaker's questions _ or any others _ Wednesday about the bacteria-tainted products he defiantly told employees to ship to some 50 manufacturers of cookies, crackers and ice cream.

"Turn them loose," Parnell had told his plant manager in an internal e-mail disclosed at the House hearing. The e-mail referred to products that once were deemed contaminated but were cleared in a second test last year.

Summoned by congressional subpoena, the owner of Peanut Corp. of America repeatedly invoked his right not to incriminate himself at the House Energy and Commerce subcommittee hearing on the salmonella outbreak that has sickened some 600 people, may be linked to nine deaths _ the latest reported in Ohio on Wednesday _ and resulted in one of the largest product recalls of more than 1,900 items.

Parnell sat stiffly, his hands folded in his lap at the witness table, as Rep. Greg Walden, R-Ore., held up a clear jar of his company's products wrapped in crime-scene tape and asked if he would eat them.

"Mr. Chairman and members of the committee, on advice of my counsel, I respectfully decline to answer your questions based on the protections afforded me under the U.S. Constitution," Parnell responded.

After he repeated the statement several times, lawmakers dismissed him from the hearing.

Shortly after Parnell's appearance, a lab tester told the panel that the company discovered salmonella at its Blakely, Ga., plant as far back as 2006. Food and Drug Administration officials told lawmakers more federal inspections could have helped prevent the outbreak

"We appear to have a total systemic breakdown," said Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Mich., chairman of the committee's investigations subcommittee.

Cookies, candy, crackers, granola bars and other products made with contaminated peanuts have been shipped to schools, stores and nursing homes, prompting the massive recall. The government raided the company's Georgia plant on Monday, and Peanut Corp. closed its Plainview, Texas, facility.

A federal criminal investigation is under way.

The House panel released e-mails obtained by its investigators showing Parnell ordered products identified with salmonella to be shipped and quoting his complaints that tests discovering the contaminated food were "costing us huge $$$$$."

In mid-January, after the national outbreak was tied to his company, Parnell told Food and Drug Administration officials that he and his company "desperately at least need to turn the raw peanuts on our floor into money."

In a separate message to his employees, Parnell insisted that the outbreak did not start at his plant, calling that a misunderstanding by the media and public health officials. "No salmonella has been found anywhere else in our products, or in our plants, or in any unopened containers of our product," he said in a Jan. 12 e-mail.

In another exchange, Parnell complained to a worker after they notified him that salmonella had been found in more products.

"I go thru this about once a week," he wrote in a June 2008 e-mail. "I will hold my breath .... again."

Last year, when a final lab test found salmonella, Parnell expressed concern about the cost and delays in moving his products.

"We need to discuss this," he wrote in an Oct. 6 e-mail to Sammy Lightsey, his plant manager. "The time lapse, beside the cost is costing us huge $$$$$ and causing obviously a huge lapse in time from the time we pick up peanuts until the time we can invoice."

Lightsey also invoked his right not to testify when he appeared alongside Parnell before the subcommittee.

"Their behavior is criminal, in my opinion. I want to see jail time," said Jeffrey Almer, whose 72-year-old mother died Dec. 21 in Minnesota of salmonella poisoning after eating Peanut Corp.'s peanut butter. Almer and other relatives of victims urged lawmakers to approve mandatory product recalls and improve public notice about contaminated food.

Darlene Cowart of JLA USA testing service said the company contacted her in November 2006 to help control salmonella discovered in the plant.

Cowart said she made one visit to the plant at the company's request and pointed out problems with peanut roasting and storage of peanuts that could have led to the salmonella. She testified that Peanut Corp. officials said they believed the salmonella came from organic Chinese peanuts.

An FDA inspection report had placed the earliest presence of salmonella in June 2007, the first of a dozen times the company received private lab results identifying the bacteria in its products.

Cowart said she believed Peanut Corp. stopped using her company for lab tests because it identified salmonella too many times.

The company's internal records show it "was more concerned with its bottom line than the safety of its customers," said committee Chairman Henry Waxman, D-Calif.

Charles Deibel, president of Deibel Laboratories Inc., said his company was among those that tested Peanut Corp. products and notified the Georgia plant that salmonella was found. Peanut Corp. sold the products anyway, according to an FDA inspection report.

"What is virtually unheard of is for an entity to disregard those results and place potentially contaminated products into the stream of commerce," Deibel said.

Deibel said he hopes the crisis leads to a greater role for FDA in overseeing food safety and providing more guidance to food makers.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
source: Wall Street Journal

FEBRUARY 26, 2009

Lobbyists Line Up to Torpedo Speech Proposals
Health Care

By BRODY MULLINS and SCOTT KILMAN
WASHINGTON -- Industries from health care to agribusiness to mining that stand to lose under President Barack Obama's policy agenda are ramping up lobbying campaigns to derail or modify his plans.

The day after Mr. Obama formally laid out his policy goals in his first address to Congress, the former chief executive of HCA Inc. unveiled a $20 million campaign to pressure Democrats to enact health-care legislation based on free-market principles.

"What you see is when the government gets involved, you run out of money and health care gets rationed," former CEO Richard Scott said Wednesday, after announcing the creation of Conservatives for Patients Rights.

Mr. Obama's ambitious agenda -- ranging from expanding health-care coverage to cutting farm subsidies to cutting wasteful defense projects -- touches almost every part of the U.S. economy. It threatens to disrupt the business models of a broad swath of America's biggest companies

Opinion polls indicate that Mr. Obama's broad goals enjoy popular support. But crucial details of the president's agenda will be decided in coming months by close-in legislative fighting, where big industries and the members of Congress that support them have plenty of clout. At the same time, threatened interests are gearing up to shape the coming debates with multimillion-dollar public-relations and lobbying campaigns.

The agriculture lobby quickly recoiled Wednesday against President Obama's vow to "end direct payments to large agribusinesses that don't need them," though industry leaders and farm-state legislators weren't sure which government payments they'll have to defend.

"We were surprised President Obama included farm payments in his speech," said Bob Stallman, president of the American Farm Bureau Federation. "But it is Congress where the rubber meets the road."

A plunge in commodity grain prices since last summer is shrinking profits across the farm sector, making it even more politically dicey for farm-state legislators to go along with any cuts in federal aid. Earlier this month, the U.S. Agriculture Department predicted that U.S. net farm income, a rough measure of profitability, will drop 20% this year to $71.2 billion from last year's record-high $89.3 billion.

The line in the president's speech about agribusiness seemed to merge two distinct ideas for overhauling subsidies. While the president didn't define "large agribusinesses," he favored as a presidential candidate limiting the amount of federal subsidies an individual grower can receive to $250,000, an idea that is included on the rural agenda of the White House Web site. The Senate voted down such a proposal as recently as December 2007.

The other idea floating around Washington is to scrap a type of subsidy check called the "fixed direct payment," which since 1996 has put about $68 billion into the pockets of growers. According to farm lobbyists, Tom Vilsack, the newly minted agriculture secretary, has been telling farm trade groups in recent weeks that fixed direct payments have outlived their usefulness.

Meanwhile, an alliance of electric utilities, coal and mining companies said it will spend as much as $40 million to make sure Congress approves a global-warming plan with funding for technology to reduce emissions that includes carbon capture and storage at coal-fired plants. In his speech, Mr. Obama called for a $15 billion-a-year investment in clean-energy sources, including clean coal.

Joe Lucas, a senior vice president of communications for the industry coalition, says the industry is "winning the public-policy debate," but will continue funding advertisements in order to "continue to be out there in the public dialogue."

Even before Mr. Obama's speech, the defense industry had stepped up its advertising and lobbying efforts this week in response to the president's vow to crack down on defense-project cost overruns, and to separate proposals in Congress to cut off certain expensive weapons programs. Mr. Obama's criticism, industry officials fear, is a foreshadowing of deep cuts to come.

The Aerospace Industries Association of America has spent $2 million so far on an ad campaign urging that defense spending shouldn't be slashed to offset shortfalls in other areas.

Boeing Co. announced Wednesday new players in its Washington team, including a new top lobbyist, David H. Morrison, who hails from powerhouse firm Podesta Group.

Defense companies have a wind at their back: the jobs they create, and the congressional support that goes with them. That could provide a boost to Lockheed Martin Corp.'s F-22 Raptor, the Air Force's most advanced fighter, whose production line will have to begin shutting down if more jets aren't ordered soon.

Lockheed is mobilizing grass-roots Web efforts and traditional lobbying to keep the plane going, and the Air Force will ask Defense Secretary Robert Gates for more planes. But it's still not clear whether he will allocate money for more of the $143 million jets, which have been faulted for their high cost and for their origin as a Cold War-era system.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
<object width="640" height="392"><param name="movie" value="http://www.whitehouse.gov/flash/MediaPlayer.swf?datasrc=http://www.whitehouse.gov/flash/video_playlist.aspx?VideoId=56&captions=http://www.whitehouse.gov/flash/captions.aspx?VideoId=56&captions_spanish=http://www.whitehouse.gov/flash/captions_spanish.aspx?VideoId=56"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.whitehouse.gov/flash/MediaPlayer.swf?datasrc=http://www.whitehouse.gov/flash/video_playlist.aspx?VideoId=56&captions=http://www.whitehouse.gov/flash/captions.aspx?VideoId=56&captions_spanish=http://www.whitehouse.gov/flash/captions_spanish.aspx?VideoId=56" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="392"></embed></object>
February 28, 2009

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
<iframe src="http://www.opednews.com/articles/Monsanto-s-dream-bill-HR-by-Linn-Cohen-Cole-090309-337.html" width=800 height=1000></iframe>

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
source: Bloomberg

Fed Is Said to Seek Capital for at Least Six Banks (Update1)

April 29 (Bloomberg) -- At least six of the 19 largest U.S. banks require additional capital, according to preliminary results of government stress tests, people briefed on the matter said.

While some of the lenders may need extra cash injections from the government, most of the capital is likely to come from converting preferred shares to common equity, the people said. The Federal Reserve is now hearing appeals from banks, including Citigroup Inc. and Bank of America Corp., that regulators have determined need more of a cushion against losses, they added.

By pushing conversions, rather than federal assistance, the government would allow banks to shore themselves up without the political taint that has soured both Wall Street and Congress on the bailouts. The risk is that, along with diluting existing shareholders, the government action won’t seem strong enough.

“The challenge that policy makers will confront is that more will be needed and it’s not clear they have the resources currently in place or the political capability to deliver more,” said David Greenlaw, the chief financial economist at Morgan Stanley, one of the 19 banks that are being tested, in New York.

Final results of the tests are due to be released next week. The banking agencies overseeing the reviews and the Treasury are still debating how much of the information to disclose. Fed Chairman Ben S. Bernanke, Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and other regulators are scheduled to meet this week to discuss the tests.

Options for Capital

Geithner has said that banks can add capital by a variety of ways, including converting government-held preferred shares dating from capital injections made last year, raising private funds or getting more taxpayer cash. With regulators putting an emphasis on common equity in their stress tests, converting privately held preferred shares is another option.

Firms that receive exceptional assistance could face stiffer government controls, including the firing of executives or board members, the Treasury chief has warned.

Today, Kenneth Lewis, chief executive officer of Bank of America, faces a shareholder vote on whether he should be re- elected as the company’s chairman of the board. While Lewis has been at the helm, the bank has received $45 billion in government aid.

‘Out of Our Hands’

Scott Silvestri, a spokesman for Charlotte, North Carolina- based Bank of America, declined to comment on Lewis yesterday. Lewis said earlier this month that the firm “absolutely” doesn’t need more capital, while adding that the decision on whether to convert the U.S.’s previous investments into common equity is “now out of our hands.”

Citigroup, in a statement, said the bank’s “regulatory capital base is strong, and we have previously announced our intention to conduct an exchange offer that will significantly improve our tangible common ratios.”

Along with Bank of America and New York-based Citigroup, some regional banks are likely to need additional capital, analysts have said.

SunTrust Banks Inc., KeyCorp, and Regions Financial Corp. are the banks that are most likely to require additional capital, according to an April 24 analysis by Morgan Stanley.

Bank of America advanced 2.6 percent to $8.36 in German trading and Citigroup climbed 3.5 percent to $2.99. SunTrust slipped 0.2 percent to $13.69 in Germany.

By taking the less onerous path of converting preferred shares, the Treasury is husbanding the diminishing resources from the $700 billion bailout passed by Congress last October.

‘Politically Constrained’

“Does that indicate that’s what the regulators actually believe, or is it that they felt politically constrained from doing much more than that?” said Douglas Elliott, a former investment banker who is now a fellow at the Brookings Institution in Washington.

Geithner said April 21 that $109.6 billion of TARP funds remain, or $134.6 billion including expected repayments in the coming year. Lawmakers have warned repeatedly not to expect approval of any request for additional money.

Some forecasts predict much greater losses are still on the horizon for the financial system. The International Monetary Fund calculates global losses tied to bad loans and securitized assets may reach $4.1 trillion next year.

Geithner has said repeatedly that the “vast majority” of U.S. banks have more capital than regulatory guidelines indicate. The stress tests are designed to ensure that firms have enough reserves to weather a deeper economic downturn and sustain lending to consumers and businesses.

‘Thawing’ Markets

He also said there are signs of “thawing” in credit markets and some indication that confidence is beginning to return. His remarks reflected an improvement in earnings in several lenders’ results for the first quarter, and a reduction in benchmark lending rates this month.

Financial shares are poised for their first back-to-back monthly gain since September 2007. The Standard & Poor’s 500 Financials Index has climbed 18 percent this month, while still 73 percent below the high reached in May 2007.

Finance ministers and central bankers who met in Washington last weekend singled out banks’ impaired balance sheets as the biggest threat to a sustainable recovery. Geithner has crafted a plan to finance purchases of as much as $1 trillion in distressed loans and securities. Germany has proposed removing $1.1 trillion in toxic assets.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
source: The Washington Post

In Ecuador, High Stakes in Case Against Chevron

By Juan Forero
Washington Post Foreign Service
Tuesday, April 28, 2009

LAGO AGRIO, Ecuador -- Deep in the northern Ecuadoran rain forest, next to pits filled with noxious sludge, a lawyer on his very first case argued that a U.S. oil company had deliberately fouled a swath of jungle nearly the size of Delaware during two decades of production.

Wearing a straw hat for the recent outdoor hearing, Pablo Fajardo was delivering the final arguments in a lawsuit that began in New York in 1993 against Texaco but is wrapping up here against Chevron, which bought Texaco in 2001. The stakes are high -- and so tinged with nationalism that Ecuador's President Rafael Correa has openly sided with the plaintiffs, 48 individuals representing tens of thousands of people in the region.

If the judge rules against Chevron, the company could face the largest damages award ever handed down in an environmental case, dwarfing the $3.9 billion awarded against ExxonMobil for the 1989spill in Alaska.

A report by a court-appointed team last year concluded that pollution caused mainly by Texaco's Ecuadoran affiliate, Texaco Petroleum, had led to 1,401 cancer deaths in this stretch of Amazonian jungle. The team's leader, Ecuadoran geologist Richard Cabrera, reported finding high levels of toxins in soil and water samples near Texaco's production sites and assessed damages at up to $27.3 billion.

"This is a simple case," said Fajardo, 37, a former oil worker. "We ask, is there damage or not? If there is damage, who pays? And if there is payment, how much and to whom?"

For Fajardo and his team, two 20-something lawyers financed by a Philadelphia law firm, the blame rests squarely with Texaco and, now, Chevron. They say that for 18 years, from the time Texaco started full-scale production in Ecuador in 1972, the company unloaded drilling mud and wastewater into hundreds of unlined pits or directly into waterways. They accuse Texaco of choosing savings over safety, and say the company botched a highly publicized cleanup of its production sites in the 1990s.

Chevron argues that Texaco complied with Ecuadoran law and that the case is driven more by emotion than science. A cornerstone of its defense is that Ecuador's government relieved Texaco of responsibility after the $40 million, three-year cleanup, which ended in 1998. Chevron also blames Texaco's successor and former partner, Petroecuador, saying that the state oil company is responsible for hundreds of oil spills since it took over operations in 1990.

Attorneys for Chevron call Cabrera's report a sham and say he was cozy with the plaintiffs. The company has issued its own expert reports to support its assertion that there is no link between oil and cancer in this swath of jungle.

Judge Juan Nuñez said he will begin reviewing about 145,000 pages of evidence after reports on the effects of the discharges on fishing and agriculture are completed.

"This trial should finish this year," he said, speaking in his bare office here in Lago Agrio, a dusty oil town named for Sour Lake, Texas, where Texaco got its start in 1903. "This has taken too long."

The case has attracted the attention of energy companies worldwide and, closer to home, the interest of Ecuador's 46-year-old populist president.

Correa, who took office in 2007 and has frequently tangled with oil companies, has said that Texaco's "savage exploitation" of oil "killed and poisoned people." He has also called Texaco's cleanup a charade, in which the company simply covered polluted sites with dirt, and labeled Chevron's Ecuadoran attorneys "sellouts."

Last April, Correa called for criminal investigations of former government officials who had signed off on Texaco's cleanup in 1998. In September, the attorney general indicted two Chevron attorneys and seven former government officials -- two years after prosecutors had dismissed a similar criminal complaint against the same people.

That is not the way Chevron had hoped events would unfold when its lawyers filed motions in federal court in New York earlier this decade vouching for the professionalism of the Ecuadoran judicial system and asking that the trial be moved here. In 2003, proceedings began, alternating between Lago Agrio's ramshackle courthouse and visits to oil production sites and waste pits. But nearly six years later, Chevron's rosy assessment has given way to a sobering recognition that it may lose the case.

"We're concerned that no court in Ecuador is going to be able to hear or rule freely," said James Craig, a Chevron spokesman. "Clearly, the thumbs of politics are weighing heavily on the scales of justice in Ecuador, and the president has played a major part in that."

During the trial's latest stage, the "judicial inspections" of aging waste sites, local Cofan Indians in traditional garb and residents who say Texaco's operations left them ill showed up to watch the opposing lawyers spar. Judge Nuñez, a baseball cap worn low over his forehead, listened intently.

Among those who came on a recent day was Gabriel Ruales, who recounted how his family used to bathe and fish in a nearby river. He had brought along a 15-year-old son who suffers from a mental disorder and was seated in a wheelchair. "The water was completely salty, poisoned," Ruales said.

Carmen Isabel Bone, a nurse's assistant, also said the local drinking water had been poisoned. "I ask the authorities to give us justice," she said, blaming Texaco for ailments ranging from the flu and skin rashes to cervical cancer.

Diego Larrea, a Quito-based lawyer for Chevron, argued that no medical or scientific evidence has been presented to back such claims. "What we have here is the myth of the jungle," he told Nuñez.

Fajardo shot back, reading from a 1977 letter to state energy officials in which Texaco admitted to a serious leak from a waste pit. An internal 1972 memo, also in Nuñez's hands, instructed Texaco officials in Ecuador to report only spills that attracted the attention of the news media or regulators.

In another letter submitted in court, from 1980, Texaco officials told state energy officials that lining pits -- a precaution against leaks that is common in the United States -- would be prohibitively expensive. "It was cheaper to pay the fines than make the improvements," Fajardo told the judge.

Chevron says such documents were taken out of context and has submitted its own documentation to show that Texaco responded to accidents.

If there is a rare point of agreement in the trial, it is that Petroecuador is not blameless. Company and government officials acknowledge that the state firm also dumped waste into waterways after it assumed control, and that there were spills from its pipelines.

But for 26 years, Texaco was the sole operator, and the plaintiffs say that the waste the company left behind continues to leach into groundwater. The plaintiffs and the Ecuadoran government also argue that Petroecuador has upgraded equipment left by Texaco and modernized disposal of waste, for instance re-injecting wastewater into the ground.

The plaintiffs said that much of their strongest evidence lies in the waste pits surrounding the 356 wells that Texaco put into operation from 1967, when the company first struck oil, until 1990, when Petroecuador took over.

Chevron acknowledges that Texaco used unlined pits but argues that the use of such holding ponds is standard in the industry, including in the United States, according to Craig, the spokesman.

Unlined pits are indeed common in Texas, according to the Texas Railroad Commission, which oversees land use by oil firms. But commission officials said that in Texas, such pits are used to hold mud and heavy metals temporarily, before they are re-injected into the ground or otherwise disposed of.

The plaintiffs say Texaco did not re-inject the waste in Ecuador but instead used the shoddily designed pits for permanent storage. In 2001, Ecuador's General Controller, an office that investigates malfeasance, said that waste had oozed from pits and that Texaco's cleanup had fallen short. The plaintiffs also say that the cleanup covered only a few of the polluted sites and did not include groundwater or streams.

Kent Robertson, a Chevron spokesman, said that government inspectors later found flaws in the controller's report but that the report was never corrected. Chevron says the government-mandated cleanup it carried out at 161 pits and seven spill sites was effective, entailing removal of oil from soil, incineration of debris and revegetation.

These days, the ponds at the center of the debate have drawn Donald Moncayo, an activist who works with the plaintiffs. His specialty is taking visitors on what he calls "toxic tours."

After a walk along a forest trail, he stopped at a pool that had been used by Texaco and poked a long stick into the black sludge. Waste also dripped out through a drainage pipe and ran down to a creek below. "As you can see, there is no protection," Moncayo said. "All these waters wind up in the rivers."

Among those who have spent their lives next to wells, waste pits and polluted waterways is Carmen Chamba, 54, who said she has suffered four miscarriages.

Chamba happens to live near an installation now operated by Petroecuador. But it was Texaco that first ran production near her home, so she says the U.S. company is liable.

"They need to pay me for my loss," she said.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Corporations have a long history of supporting oppression.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pkoM8RB-kJ0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pkoM8RB-kJ0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>​