Comedy: Jerrod Carmichael Calls Dave Chappelle an ‘Egomaniac’: ‘He Wanted Me to Apologize Publicly or Some S—‘ for Criticizing His Anti-Trans Legacy

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Jerrod Carmichael Calls Dave Chappelle an ‘Egomaniac’: ‘He Wanted Me to Apologize Publicly or Some S—‘ for Criticizing His Anti-Trans Legacy​

By Zack Sharf
Plus Icon
Jerrod Carmichael Dave Chappelle

Getty Images

Jerrod Carmichael recently opened up to Esquire magazine about tensions with fellow comedian Dave Chappelle. Carmichael, who is making the press rounds in support of his new HBO series, generated headlines in June 2022 when he criticized Chappelle, who had already been earning backlash for making jokes about the transgender community.

“Chappelle, do you know what comes up when you Google your name, bro?” Carmichael asked during a GQ magazine profile at the time, referring to the comedian’s comments about trans people. “That’s the legacy? Your legacy is a bunch of opinions on trans shit? It’s an odd hill to die on. And it’s like, ‘Hey, bro. Who the fuck are you? Who do you fuck? What do you like to do?’”

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/anna-paquin-cane-red-carpet-health-issues-mobility-1235960276/

“Childish jokes aside, who the fuck are you?” Carmichael added. “It’s just kind of played. But he’s choosing to die on the hill. So, alright, let him.”
In his new Esquire interview, Carmichael expanded on his thoughts about Chappelle. Carmichael, who came out as gay publicly in his April 2022 HBO special “Rothaniel,” said that Chappelle joked about the set and “referred to it as the bravest special for 1996.”

“And it’s like, that’s a funny enough line, whatever, but I wonder if he gets the irony that the fact that you are mocking it even then is why it was hard,” Carmichael said, adding that Chappelle apparently did not take the criticism about his legacy well.

“He took it as ‘Fuck Dave Chappelle,’ because he’s an egomaniac,” Carmichael continued. “He wanted me to apologize to him publicly or some shit.”

Clarifying his original criticisms, Carmichael told Esquire that Chappelle is “not revealing anything personal about himself and he’s removed from what he’s talking about, and I think he’s smarter than that and deeper than that and has more interesting thoughts.”

Variety has reached out to Chappelle’s representative for comment. Carmichael’s latest series, “Jarrod Carmichael Reality Show,” airs new episodes on Fridays on HBO and Max.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Jerrod Carmichael Has More to Say About His Beef with Dave Chappelle​

“He wanted me to apologize to him publicly or some shit.”
By Josh RosenbergPUBLISHED: APR 01, 2024 10:50 AM EST

With any art form, it’s not unusual to see tension between the young guns and the old guard. As comedian Jerrod Carmichael will tell you, it’s even harder when you come out as gay onstage—and the stand-up world’s elder generation is less than accepting. According to Carmichael, a comment from Dave Chappelle about his 2022 stand-up special, Rothaniel, continues to live with him. “[Chappelle] referred to it as the bravest special for 1996,” Carmichael says in Esquire’s new digital cover story. “And it’s like, that’s a funny enough line, whatever, but I wonder if he gets the irony that the fact that you are mocking it even then is why it was hard.”

On Carmichael’s new HBO series, Jerrod Carmichael Reality Show, the comedian’s conflict with his own sexuality is on full display. In one particularly challenging scene, he even entertains his Christian mother with a prayer to “take the desire” away. “I still think saying you’re gay is saying something’s wrong with you,” he adds in the cover story. “And so much of comedy is just gay jokes. As long as people continue to laugh at it and mock it, and as long as it’s a punchline, it’s going to be scary for somebody. It’s scary for me.”

This wasn’t the first time that Carmichael and Chappelle commented on each other’s work. Back in 2022, Carmichael told The Hollywood Reporter that Chappelle’s legacy is currently “a bunch of opinions on trans shit,” which he called “an odd hill to die on.” Clarifying his comments, he tells Esquire that Chappelle is “not revealing anything personal about himself and he’s removed from what he’s talking about, and I think he’s smarter than that and deeper than that and has more interesting thoughts.”

According to Carmichael, Chappelle didn’t take the constructive criticism too well. “He took it as ‘Fuck Dave Chappelle,’ because he’s an egomaniac,” the comedian says. “He wanted me to apologize to him publicly or some shit.” It sounds like we shouldn’t expect that apology anytime soon.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't care what these dudes do in their personal life but these Frank Ocean, Tyler The Creator and Jarrod Carmichael dudes...I thought they be playing when they say they gay. :lol:

Aww Skeet Skeet!

The antithesis of nonsense.
BGOL Investor
I will say that The Carmichael Show was probably the best sitcom I'd seen in the last 10 years. I wish I could praise his comedy specials in the same way...

But his style/delivery is just very dry. I guess it could work if he was going for the clever angle, but it's just not that funny.

****Edit

The Upshaws...

God-Of-War-420

Mr. Pool
That's how it is, they get rich then start surrounding themselves with other rich people who have a distorted view of the world.
Sad, Dave had a giant platform and the kill and brains to turn that platform into something useful. Instead he's all but alt right/anti pc/anti sjw and obsessed with trans people.