Comcast adds motion sensing to millions of its newer routers... doesn't have to tell you who they share the data with

Maxxam

Rising Star
Platinum Member
It is opt-in, but please just buy a router instead of the bullshit your ISP provides

Comcast has rolled out a new motion-sensing technology to its latest home routers, allowing homeowners to receive notifications about activity detected inside their house while they are away.

The free feature, called Wi-Fi Motion, turns newer Xfinity gateways into motion sensors by detecting interruptions to the Wi-Fi signal of the wireless network and sends a notification through the Xfinity app.

As first reported by The Verge, the new Wi-Fi Motion feature works for advanced Xfinity gateways XB7 and newer models and is opt-in, which means users can choose whether to switch on the feature in the Xfinity app. As quoted by the publication, customers can use this feature for “motion detection in their home and for a basic level of security.”

There is a privacy trade-off. By enabling the feature, Comcast says it may disclose information generated from a customer’s use of Wi-Fi Motion to outside parties under a broad array of reasons — and Comcast says it doesn’t have to tell you.

“Comcast may disclose information generated by your Wi-Fi Motion to third parties without further notice to you in connection with any law enforcement investigation or proceeding, any dispute to which Comcast is a party, or pursuant to a court order or subpoena,” reads an Xfinity support page.


That’s something to consider before you switch on the feature, particularly if you’re privacy conscious.
 
I got verizon and they gave us a free router to upgrade.

That's only way it should be. It's their network. I like that you can log into their gateway and adjust all types of settings. I just prefer owning my Gateway. No proprietary software from my ISP is programed in it.
 
That's only way it should be. It's their network. I like that you can log into their gateway and adjust all types of settings. I just prefer owning my Gateway. No proprietary software from my ISP is programed in it.
I see you like to have more control having your own router.
 
Back
Top