Charlemagne: DEI is garbage

Chiyo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Here in California, we aren't even the face of it. CACs have created "intersectionality". "Intersectionality combines race, class, gender and LBGTQ and packages it all together to address diversity and inclusion. The DEI training that I received on my job was focused on Transgender issues. Charlemagne made some good points. Even in the videos, BLACK FOLKS were not clearly identified as the target of DEI initiatives. Statistically, the main group that benefitted from Affirmative Action was white women. Nowadays, the main people that benefit from DEI are LBGTQ and in tech, mainly Indian(from India) folks. Black folks are so quick to attack each other when we challenge initiatives conceived by CACs that we view as allies. Notice how none of the DEI supporters in this thread are able to clearly identify what Black folks have gained from DEI initiatives.
Indians dont get points for DEI at most tech companies.

They benefit because of tribalism and nepotism, both of which we can practice with the more of us that gets in via nepotism.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
How many trash people working are simply white non diversity hires? Take 2 shit candidates, 1 white, 1 black. Who do you hire? Considered 30% of your staff already includes shitty people?

It's like Chris Rock saying he lives next to a dentist. Regular and sub par white people been getting handouts for years, now they want to complain? Foh!

Is that guy worthy of discussing the merits of DEI?

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Here in California, we aren't even the face of it. CACs have created "intersectionality". "Intersectionality combines race, class, gender and LBGTQ and packages it all together to address diversity and inclusion. The DEI training that I received on my job was focused on Transgender issues. Charlemagne made some good points. Even in the videos, BLACK FOLKS were not clearly identified as the target of DEI initiatives. Statistically, the main group that benefitted from Affirmative Action was white women. Nowadays, the main people that benefit from DEI are LBGTQ and in tech, mainly Indian(from India) folks. Black folks are so quick to attack each other when we challenge initiatives conceived by CACs that we view as allies. Notice how none of the DEI supporters in this thread are able to clearly identify what Black folks have gained from DEI initiatives.
You still haven't explained how exactly white folks have been hurt by it and why do they constantly put a black face on it if only affects non black poc and women.

My issue with getting rid of DEI has more to do with the after effects. The attacks are already being spread to outside areas. A prominent black female businesses organization was sued for being racist against white people. And guess what? The lawsuit is being spear headed by the same folk who took the college admissions challenge to the Supreme Court.

Then there was this:

The black farmers who were supposed to get Reperations for what they went through,got sued under the guise of racism.

If you think this shit will stop as soon as whitey is allowed to hire all his white friends in peace, you are dilusional as fuck.

Last edited:

shinobi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

White Americans have a 405 year advantage in wealth, education and opportunity in the US. It’s only been 70 years since Brown v Board of Education. Now, White Americans who never had to compete for ANYTHING in this country are now against Diversity & Equity.

White Americans are generationally so accustomed to privilege that equality feels like oppression to them.

And here we have Charlemagne, The Coon advocating on their behalf. SMFH

Big Tex

Earth is round..gravity is real
BGOL Investor
A few years back, I was contacted by a diversity professional at Google to apply for a position there. Google has a notoriously difficult test to get into their tech org. She didn't say I didn't have to be qualified, or that I didn't have to pass their test, but what she did do was send me some documentation on what they were looking for from people taking the test, and if I was interested in applying, she would personally introduce me to the hiring manager.

I ultimately decided to stay at my job at the time.

But I wasn't going to be handed a job, I still had to be qualified, but their DEI program was going to get me out of the resume pile and get me an introduction with the person doing the hiring.

So, yeah, these DEI programs CAN help Black people.

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor
You cant honestly say DEI is garbage, yet cry on your radio show when affirmative action was canned.

DEI isnt perfect, but to say it hasnt brought black people into the table or benefitted them is simply not true. I have seen at copanies I have been in that DEI roles have led many people into jobs in tech who normally wouldnt have any look.

Im only in my early 30's, but I remember how unwelcoming corporate America was before they started caring anything about DEI. Its a much better change now at companies that take it serious.

The statistics are not supporting the observations that you are communicating.

In my observations, there just aren't that many Black folks in Tech. The few that are, are usually in Digital marketing and recruitment which are shrinking positions in Tech.
Finally, Tech is a sinking ship. Tens of thousands of tech employees have been getting laid off this past year. The pattern is expected to continue too. Tech companies are running leaner and AI is increasing efficiency. https://layoffs.fyi/

Chiyo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The statistics are not supporting the observations that you are communicating.

In my observations, there just aren't that many Black folks in Tech. The few that are, are usually in Digital marketing and recruitment which are shrinking positions in Tech.
Finally, Tech is a sinking ship. Tens of thousands of tech employees have been getting laid off this past year. The pattern is expected to continue too. Tech companies are running leaner and AI is increasing efficiency. https://layoffs.fyi/
Tech companies for sure are running leaner, but DEI initiatives still exist at the big boys.

There arent many in tech because the pipeline isnt there sadly enough, but DEI has been used to try to increase what little supply there is. I think it was entioned earlier there were more gay dudes than black dudes getting into companies. Its all the pipeline. 12 years ago when I graduated from Georgia Tech I was the one of like 5 or so black guys graduating in CS in a school in Atlanta of all places, and half of them were fresh off the boat Africans. You still have to qualify even with DEI, and if there arent numbers then it isnt DEI fault for that. Before it became saturated tech was a great place to be in as a black person.

And Tech is just my experience. I know other professions have also used DEI in hiring such as Law firms.

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor

“Black” Twitter be full of shit. Charlemagne actually called Biden and Hillary Clinton out for not addressing Black issues when he interviewed them. In this case, even supporters of DEI initiatives are unable to identify what Black folks have gained from them. We spend too much time attacking each other instead of collectively demanding what we need. We never asked for DEI policies. We have been asking for Reperations. Instead of giving us something that can directly benefit us and make a significant positive difference, they give us vague DEI programs that sound good, but haven’t and won’t do much for us. Imagine if every Black household got 600k in reperations tax free. That would actually make a significant difference in Black achievement for generations.

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor
Tech companies for sure are running leaner, but DEI initiatives still exist at the big boys.

There arent many in tech because the pipeline isnt there sadly enough, but DEI has been used to try to increase what little supply there is. I think it was entioned earlier there were more gay dudes than black dudes getting into companies. Its all the pipeline. 12 years ago when I graduated from Georgia Tech I was the one of like 5 or so black guys graduating in CS in a school in Atlanta of all places, and half of them were fresh off the boat Africans. You still have to qualify even with DEI, and if there arent numbers then it isnt DEI fault for that. Before it became saturated tech was a great place to be in as a black person.

And Tech is just my experience. I know other professions have also used DEI in hiring such as Law firms.
What do you do in Tech? Tech has been catching a beating. I know people who had worked for FAANG, been laid off for months, and considering career changes.

Law Firms have been looking to promote Black men way before DEI initiatives.

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Did y’all watch the video? I agree with him.
About 70% of the jobs in America don't really take logical thinking, straight from the book and follow orders or have the physical strength to do the job, so he's really incorrect because it's a slipperly slope that can get really bad for us really quick since technically alot of jobs don't really need highly qualified people, alot of foot soldier work out there.

cac want us working in mcdonalds and being no where near the office, drivers, fast food and etc, this is just charm being a coon for white folks as usual.

Chiyo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What do you do in Tech? Tech has been catching a beating. I know people who had worked for FAANG, been laid off for months, and considering career changes.

Im backend, but I do a little of everything as do most seniors in bigger companies. Its oversaturated for sure, but if any of them spent considerable time making good money and saved then they should be in a good spot for whatever they do next. I didnt join a big tech company until the middle of Covid and today am sitting on over 300k in RSU. Jobs at the high level should be viewed like NFL players view their jobs. You are in it for a short time, and the vast majority of your time will be spent doing other things for(in most cases) less money. The simple reality is in 2024 the average company is not going to pay someone working on CRUD apps or databases 300k+ and they certainly wont pay a recruiter 200k+.

It wasnt called DEI, but it was pretty much that though. I mean you cant tell me any other reason big law firms would hire the top at a tier 3 law school like Howard, but not the top from another tier 3 school in DC. The DEI initiatives is just putting a name(and some action) on something that a few industries were already doing.

Dota

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Let's just admit that those huge tech companies are running leaner because they over hired during the pandemic. It's hard to maintain so many $300k positions for example that Amazon was promoting and keep stock prices up (thank God I didn't jump on that set up ship). At the same time Amazon is notorious trimming the bottom 10% of performers no matter if they're super talented. What I do see an issue in is their recruiting process. I've never known those FAANG companies having direct pipelines at HBCUs for example. Talent is there but if talent never gets in the door from the start it will always be an uphill battle.

Chiyo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Let's just admit that those huge tech companies are running leaner because they over hired during the pandemic. It's hard to maintain so many $300k positions for example that Amazon was promoting and keep stock prices up (thank God I didn't jump on that set up ship). At the same time Amazon is notorious trimming the bottom 10% of performers no matter if they're super talented. What I do see an issue in is their recruiting process. I've never known those FAANG companies having direct pipelines at HBCUs for example. Talent is there but if talent never gets in the door from the start it will always be an uphill battle.
FAANG are 5 companies though. Thats not the extent of big tech.

There are plenty of big(or big-ish) tech companies that do have a pipeline with HBCUs such as IBM, Dell, and my company Microsoft. The main thing is, even if there is a pipeline to these places, the difference wont really change the make up of black people in these roles. Its always going to skew African, and in people positions like HR and Marketing, female. The average black American male in school isnt in a position to do these degrees because the foundation before hasnt set them up to be successful. Even more so the juice stops being worth the squeeze like today where the market is saturated.

The main difference is DEI wasnt set up to fix the foundational issue, but to make sure the people WHO ARE QUALIFIED get a shot at a seat at the table. In that regard it is doing that well IMO.

trstar

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The main difference is DEI wasnt set up to fix the foundational issue, but to make sure the people WHO ARE QUALIFIED get a shot at a seat at the table. In that regard it is doing that well IMO.

Yes, yes, and hell yes

Dota

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Laid off for months and career change? So are they only looking in Cali? Do they have an expected pay rate?

T_Holmes

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
DEI as a policy or principle is not a bad thing. When applied correctly, it is a useful tool for setting a balance that has been skewed for centuries.

What it is not is a blanket solution to most of the issues that many businesses have. The main problem highlighted by that montage in the segment is that businesses are tone deaf on how to promote diversity and inclusiveness. And the short answer to this is: they shouldn't. They should not be utilizing social change as a marketing tool, especially when they don't really understand how to promote it as a benefit to their business model.

What Charlemagne (and I assume the Daily Show writers) miss here is an opportunity to focus on that fatal flaw, and how businesses should be more focused on addressing actual social issues in their business instead of bragging about how cool they are for even trying. Instead, they moved to a really wack argument attempting to highlight how ineffective the programs themselves are without adding enough nuance. It's low hanging fruit when you need the best of the vine. This story was a windmill dunk with no time left on the clock when you were down by three points.

I don't expect more from Charlemagne, because he is the broke clock that proves that being right twice a day still makes you useless. And I'd say that I expect more for the Daily Show writers, but as someone who hasn't followed the show in a good long while, I mostly hear about how they keep dropping the ball, too. But in small defense to them, The Daily Show should be an entertainment show; it's kinda fucked up that we even have to look to it for anything resembling true journalism, anyway.

Chiyo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
DEI as a policy or principle is not a bad thing. When applied correctly, it is a useful tool for setting a balance that has been skewed for centuries.

What it is not is a blanket solution to most of the issues that many businesses have. The main problem highlighted by that montage in the segment is that businesses are tone deaf on how to promote diversity and inclusiveness. And the short answer to this is: they shouldn't. They should not be utilizing social change as a marketing tool, especially when they don't really understand how to promote it as a benefit to their business model.

What Charlemagne (and I assume the Daily Show writers) miss here is an opportunity to focus on that fatal flaw, and how businesses should be more focused on addressing actual social issues in their business instead of bragging about how cool they are for even trying. Instead, they moved to a really wack argument attempting to highlight how ineffective the programs themselves are without adding enough nuance. It's low hanging fruit when you need the best of the vine. This story was a windmill dunk with no time left on the clock when you were down by three points.

I don't expect more from Charlemagne, because he is the broke clock that proves that being right twice a day still makes you useless. And I'd say that I expect more for the Daily Show writers, but as someone who hasn't followed the show in a good long while, I mostly hear about how they keep dropping the ball, too. But in small defense to them, The Daily Show should be an entertainment show; it's kinda fucked up that we even have to look to it for anything resembling true journalism, anyway.
It is a comedy show at the end of the day.

The fact that people took Trevor Noah, or john Stewart for that matter, serious as journalists shows the dumbing down of America that has been happening for decades.

Names like Cronkite, Rather, Jennings.ect used to mean something. Now any talking head can say anything and be considered a journalist.

peterlongshort

Rising Star
Platinum Member
“Black” Twitter be full of shit. Charlemagne actually called Biden and Hillary Clinton out for not addressing Black issues when he interviewed them. In this case, even supporters of DEI initiatives are unable to identify what Black folks have gained from them. We spend too much time attacking each other instead of collectively demanding what we need. We never asked for DEI policies. We have been asking for Reperations. Instead of giving us something that can directly benefit us and make a significant positive difference, they give us vague DEI programs that sound good, but haven’t and won’t do much for us. Imagine if every Black household got 600k in reperations tax free. That would actually make a significant difference in Black achievement for generations.
DEI is the new BLM. Shit for gay people. Black men, not so much.