Car Heads: What cars of today will be worth a lot 40 years from now?

Real2DaC0re

Rising Star
Registered
only cars going to be worth something are the special edition and the custom cars made by great builders, like chip foose,troy trepanier

ShowroomL.jpg

Foose-16.jpg

Foose-70-Challenger-SA-Chip-1920x1440.jpg

IMG_2043.jpg

spaceball.gif

Lord T

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I appreciate everyones replies. I agreed with some choices and was surprised by some others.

As far as HALO's choice *sigh*:rolleyes:

Originally posted by manhertm
That's a vague question. What kind of cars, American, imports? What price range are you talking about? Just about any supercar or will be worth a lot of money in the future? You gotta narrow it down man.
It could be either domestic or import. I know a lot of the imports are not at these auctions because imports didn't have an impact in the '50s and '60s here in the U.S. They didn't start to take off til the '70s and they really didn't have anything that looked good except the 240Z. I also try to keep supercars out of it because we all know they will just go up in value off top.

Originally posted by Heist:
It's hard to pick cars that will be worth A LOT more. Generally speaking they had to have something very unique or desirable about them, or had been an engineering benchmark/feat for its time. They also have to be kept pretty stock, so if they're modded you'll pretty much diminish the value.
Agreed. All the cars that went for the mega-bucks were stock. That's going to cut down the Supra a lot because I haven't seen anyone keep it stock. Another thing that all of them had in common was DOCUMENTATION! I mean these dudes had documentation all the way back to when it was rolling off the assembly line! Took a picture when they first picked it up at the dealership, ANYmaintenance performed on the car no matter how small it was.

That's another reason why I said 40 years from now. You can't go by how much they're worth now to see how much they will be worth later. Remember after the Oil crisis of the 70's they couldn't give away half these cars! Everyone was trading them in for more fuel efficient models and people parked and left them to rot. Seems like history is repeating itself. I know the new ZR-1 will be worth a lot later. This will be the most powerful factory Corvette ever (even though they had plans for the C7 to get a version to have 700hp, but due to CAFE standards that plan has been cancelled) and will have limited production of 1,500 to 1,700 units a year

Like stated earlier special cars, technical achievement cars, and super flukes that turned out good will be there.

The Grand National GNX was one of the fastest cars of 1987 and was faster than the Porsche 911 of the time. It was even faster than the Corvette! GM realized they fucked up and instituted the unwritten law of "No GM car will be faster or more powerful than the Corvette". GM went out of their way to establish this by killing off the Grand National after this. It was still evident in the 90's when the C5 Corvette was released with 345hp and the 4th Gen. Camaro/Trans Am was released with 325hp in their top SS/WS6 models. All 3 cars used the new LS1 engine and people dynoed all three and was reaching the same hp in the cars but GM still put 325hp on the sticker in the window of the Cam/Am.

Ford Mustang SVO
Total production years: 1984-1986
Total made: 9835
What's special about it?: A 2.3L Turbo 4cylinder Mustang that was a great handler, but overpriced and was killed by lowering gas prices and the 5.0 V-8 version
mump_0412_8z+1986_Ford_Mustang+Front_Passenger_Side.jpg

SvoPerformance.jpg

GMC Syclone
Total Production years: 1991
Total made: 2995 Syclones were built in 1991, and 3 in 1992
What's special about it?: The Syclone was the quickest stock pickup truck being produced in the world. Auto magazines compared its acceleration favorably to a variety of sports cars including the Corvette and - in a memorable comparison test in Car and Driver magazine - a Ferrari. Powered by a turbocharged 4.3L V6 and Borg Warner all wheel drive 1372/4472 transfer case split torque with 35% forward and 65% to the rear wheels. It featured sport modifications to the standard suspensions. The Syclone was the first production truck to receive a 4 wheel anti-lock braking system. Output was 280 hp and 360 ft.lb. The Syclone, when new, was capable of accelerating from 0-60 mph in 4.6 seconds and could do a quarter-mile run in 13.4 seconds at 98 mph
1991GMCSyclone.jpg

Mercury Marauder
Total production years: 2003-2004
Total produced: 11,052
What's special about it?: Ford's answer to the 1994-96 Impala. Powered by a 4.6L V-8 making 302hp and with performance parts from the ford interceptor police car (like aluminum driveshaft) it was quite nimble.
03_MercuryMarauderVT_Article1a.jpg

1989 Turbo Trans Am (TTA) 20th Anniversary edition
Total production years: 1989
Total produced: 1,555
What's special about it?: Among the limited production of Anniversary T/As, 1,324 had Lexan T-tops and leather interiors. 187 were ordered with T-tops and a cloth interior, and only 24 hardtops had leather. Using the same Turbo 3.8L V-6 found in the Grand National, these motors were rated at 250 flywheel horsepower to appease the Corvette crowd, in actuality, the TTA motor reportedly made 301 hp on the engine dyno.
0610_hppp_01z+1989_pontiac_trans_am+full.jpg

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
It's hard to pick cars that will be worth A LOT more. Generally speaking they had to have something very unique or desirable about them, or had been an engineering benchmark/feat for its time. They also have to be kept pretty stock, so if they're modded you'll pretty much diminish the value.

That said, I can tell you the sure shots in my book are:

- McLaren F1 (These cars continue to escalate in value)

- Veyron (Set all new kinds of engineer milestones)

- Ford Lightning (Pick-up truck with Mustang performance)

- '97 Porsche 911/993 (Last model year of the air-cooled engines for Porsche. Something they did for nearly 50 years)

- 93-97 Supra Twin Turbo (Still very much in demand and hard to find)

- 2008 Nissan GT-R (Already setting the performance car height to new levels)

- 1993-2001 Honda Civic / Acura Integra Type-R (these two cars basically set-off the import tuner craze here in the states)

- 2008 Corvette ZR-1 (We'll probably never get a stock Corvette with this much power again from the factory. It was a special project for Rick Wagoner that got green lighted)

- Chrysler 300C (Kept in clean condition, this may just be the '57 Chevy of our generation)

...No Enzo, believe it or not - Ferrari fans are still not feeling this car and it's not very much in demand.

in 40 yrs this will def fetch over 1+mill

91476.jpg

Cock Head Jones

Rising Star
Registered
Most that I can think of have been mentioned:

Grand National
94 - 96 impala
Acura Legend

What about that Cadillac Allante? They are pretty rare and prices go up on those every year it seems like.

Lord T

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
TonitoX2 that's a nice looking MR2. It was the best one hands down. It could probably grow in value.

Looks like we were right about the Grand National already.
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/buick/gnx/546198.html
#11 GNX of 547
30,000 miles
$95,000

Here's a good article about the GNX for the people who don't really know about it:
http://jalopnik.com/cars/jalopnik-fantasy-garage/buick-gnx-274485.php

I'm waiting to see what the original Corvette ZR-1's will go for (I know the upcoming ZR-1 is going to be an instant classic)
Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1
Years Produced: 1990-1995
Total Produced: 6,939
What's special about it?: A 5.7L all-aluminum DOHC 4 Cam V-8 designed by Lotus (who was owned by GM then). The LT5 is the only non-pushrod engine ever to be installed in a Corvette. Ever. Had a "valet key" which would shut off 16 of its 32 valves and 8 of 16 fuel injectors to limit the car to 250hp.
http://jalopnik.com/cars/jalopnik-f...asy-garage-chevrolet-corvette-zr+1-252795.php
Corvette_ZR1.jpg

zr1aa.jpg

Since this Corvette had a Lotus-designed OHC engine, this might be the Corvette HALO like:rolleyes: