Car Heads: What cars of today will be worth a lot 40 years from now?

Lord T

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What cars do you think from at least 1980 to present that if you were to park in a barn and find 40 years from now will be worth a lot of money? I say 40 years because the Muscle cars that are bringing in the big money are 40 years old or close to it(1963-1972)

I got to thinking about this because I was looking at the Mecum Car Auction on the HD Theater channel with my dad and the muscle cars were going for crazy money! Partially restored Shelby Mustangs were going for $160K, Yenko Camaros and Chevelles were going for $250K-$350K, L88 Corvettes were going for $300K-$400k, and anything Hemi (Challenger, Charger, Roadrunner, Barracuda) were starting at $200K!

The two biggest sellers were:
1969 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 #57 sold for $480,000
SC0508-65954_1.jpg

SC0508-65954_4.jpg

SC0508-65954_6.jpg

SC0508-65954_7.jpg

Please watch the video to get the full info and to really appreciate it:
http://www.mecumauction.com/auctions...D=SC0508-65954

...and this one sold for $800,000!!:eek:
1969 Chevrolet Camaro R/S ZL1
SC0508-65934_1.jpg

SC0508-65934_6.jpg

SC0508-65934_2.jpg

SC0508-65934_5.jpg

Highlights

- 1969 Camaro COPO 9560 #55 ZL1 427/430hp 4speed

- 1 of 2 RS-equipped COPOs

- Includes original block and date-coded heads

- All original, unrestored with 7,700 actual miles

- Le Mans Blue with White vinyl top, White interior

- Highest optioned of all ZL1s

- Rear spoiler

- Special Instrument Group

- Tinted glass

- Center console

- Rear seat speaker

- Remote mirror

- Sport steering wheel

- White vinyl top

- Dealer-added double accent striping

- Power steering

- Power brakes w/ front discs

- Z23 Special Interior

- D55 Console and gauges

- U17 Special Instrument package

- Protect-O-Plate

- Formerly in the Otis Chandler Collection
Video again:
http://www.mecumauction.com/auctions...D=SC0508-65934

Another article of the $800K Camaro
http://www.hemmings.com/newsletter/newsletter.html?volume=1&issue=19
We all know that the prices of Hemi cars are crazy and they are routinely selling in excess of $300,000. In fact, a 1971 Hemi 'Cuda hardtop in B5 blue at last weekend's Mecum Auction in St. Charles, Illinois, sold for $550,000. (Though the color was the wrong shade, according to a top Mopar expert we talked to, it was still a beautiful car.)
However, that's chump change compared to the $800,000 (that's not a misprint) paid for a 1969 Chevrolet Camaro ZL-1, a record according to ZL-1 expert and COPO Connection guru Ed Cunneen. This car is one of but a handful still with its original numbers-matching, all-aluminum 427. This Dusk Blue example was on display on a turntable, and we closely examined this gorgeous number-1-condition car.
Arguably, this car is one of the finest Camaro restorations in the country, and the underside was as nice as the top. One Camaro expert told us the car had an incorrect vacuum advance on the distributor, but other than that miscue, this car is dead-on perfect. This one is number 18 of 69 and listed new at $7,324.35, when sold in Virginia. The original owner, Ronald G. Dix of South Boston, Virginia, traded in a 1969 Corvette to buy this car. Although he sold the car long ago, the current seller made out very well. Just a month ago, he refused $490,000 at an auction in New York City. Smart guy.

The funny thing is the guy who bought the Camaro said he got a deal, because he said he was at another auction and one of these ZL1's went for $1.2M!!

My dad was in shock. He use to own a 1969 Ford Mustang 428 Cobra Jet and he wished he had held on to it.

So what do y'all think? Is there anything made since 1980 (at least) that will be bringing in muscle car money 40 years from now? Besides the exotics (Lambo, Ferrari,etc) they will always be worth something. What amazes me is that these were cars anyone could buy. No one ever thought that later on they would be worth so much.

There are different factors that make these cars special. How many were produced, a special color, a special edition, unique options, low original miles, etc.

The ones that come to me off top are
1987 Buick Grand National GNX
Only one year the GNX was produced (1987)
Only 547 were made
87gnx-rw.jpg

http://www.gnttype.org/images/87gnx-rw.jpg ( for Production Numbers, Horsepower ratings and Torque figures)

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra
Only 1,000 Coupes and Convertibles were made in Mystichrome (color changing) out of a total 5,664 SVT Cobras in 2004
1st car ever with color changing leather seat inserts
Last year before the new 2005 body style
pho_mystichrome_01.jpg

jagu

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Most of today's cars are built with economy and cost cutting in mind. They don't make cars like arts anymore, so i don't see too many of today's cars being worth anything in the future save for the Bentley GT and Porsche 911 year 05 or newer. The Lexus sc430 is an interesting car that may be worth something too.

mk23666

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The same kind of cars that are worth money today will be worth money in 40 years:

Muscle Cars.
High End Luxury Cars and SUVs.
First Offs of new types like hybrids, CUVs, SUVs, etc. etc.

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
Most of today's cars are built with economy and cost cutting in mind. They don't make cars like arts anymore, so i don't see too many of today's cars being worth anything in the future save for the Bentley GT and Porsche 911 year 05 or newer. The Lexus sc430 is an interesting car that may be worth something too.

Pretty much all the cars that were made with metal will have the worth while the carbon fiber shit we drive now won't be worth he shit its made off.

Your right, Bentleys, Mclaren, Bugatti, Lambo, Ferrari, Rollys and all the other exotic hand made low production vehicles will maintain their worth and increase.

Which Lexux SC are you taking the 1st Gen or 2nd Gen version? I would say the first gen might get the run.

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That's a vague question. What kind of cars, American, imports? What price range are you talking about? Just about any supercar or will be worth a lot of money in the future? You gotta narrow it down man.

Oh let me give HALO's answer before he jumps in here "blah, blah, blah, ANYTHING NISSAN!, blah, blah blah." :lol:

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
That's a vague question. What kind of cars, American, imports? What price range are you talking about? Just about any supercar or will be worth a lot of money in the future? You gotta narrow it down man.

Oh let me give HALO's answer before he jumps in here "blah, blah, blah, ANYTHING NISSAN!, blah, blah blah." :lol:

Well to his white delusional ass credit the GT-R is a certified classic. I know if I get my hands on one I'm keeping that shit.

CobraKai

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The ZR-1 corvettes. The SHO Tauruses(maybe), The GMC Typhoons & Cyclones, Anything SVT (except the contours), SRT Dodges(Maybe, They build them in big numbers so I don't know) and finally the 94-96 impala SS.:yes:

Freedom Of Chat

Star
Registered
If you have the money to buy a car that you won't use for 40 years, or rarely use, and can keep it in pristine condition, then you probably have enough money to invest in some property. The price of land has never decreased.

Bitchassness aside, as someone mentioned, muscle cars and rare/limited cars will always be worth more in the long run. Due to the fucked up state of the economy, there isn't much production of such cars anymore (GM is closing plants that solely produced trucks and high powered vehicles). I always wanted a Grand National, but I couldn't afford the upkeep right now. I purchased a Dodge Charger R/T in September - gas has risen more than a dollar since then and the value of these bitches went down tremendously.

But it's pretty much a rule that the first and last years of a model will be worth more in the long run. Also, a car is worth more when it's kept stock. While adding shit may seem cool now, it takes away from the prestige of the car.

Heist

Rising Star
Registered
It's hard to pick cars that will be worth A LOT more. Generally speaking they had to have something very unique or desirable about them, or had been an engineering benchmark/feat for its time. They also have to be kept pretty stock, so if they're modded you'll pretty much diminish the value.

That said, I can tell you the sure shots in my book are:

- McLaren F1 (These cars continue to escalate in value)

- Veyron (Set all new kinds of engineer milestones)

- Ford Lightning (Pick-up truck with Mustang performance)

- '97 Porsche 911/993 (Last model year of the air-cooled engines for Porsche. Something they did for nearly 50 years)

- 93-97 Supra Twin Turbo (Still very much in demand and hard to find)

- 2008 Nissan GT-R (Already setting the performance car height to new levels)

- 1993-2001 Honda Civic / Acura Integra Type-R (these two cars basically set-off the import tuner craze here in the states)

- 2008 Corvette ZR-1 (We'll probably never get a stock Corvette with this much power again from the factory. It was a special project for Rick Wagoner that got green lighted)

- Chrysler 300C (Kept in clean condition, this may just be the '57 Chevy of our generation)

...No Enzo, believe it or not - Ferrari fans are still not feeling this car and it's not very much in demand.

Last edited:

CPT Callamity

Titty Feelin Villain
BGOL Investor
I knew a couple of folks with Grand Natty's. They used to race them at the tracks that used to crush Stangs. Out the box they were 276HP and easiliy blown to ridiculous horesepower.
800px-1987_Buick_Grand_National.jpg

If these young bamaz stop playing them out and stop making old taxi cabs to look like them:
Impala%20SS%20RF%201.jpg

112_0303_preowned_l%2B1994_chevrolet_impala_ss_sedan%2Bleft_front_side_view.jpg

To me that's like a fine pin striped suit. Goes well with everything.

Also:
63vetfuelie2a.jpg

Respect the Vettes.

That muscle car era was when it was cheap enough and competitive enough to do it. That's why those cars will always be tight. Imagine factory ordering specific engines or being able to rent them for the weekend.

The European rockets will keep their value and be absurd as well. Any limited production car is going to quadruple in value out of numbers. You won't see anyone flossing a 1994 Camry talking about it's a classic.

Jack Spade

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'd pick:
1996 Impala SS
Toyota Cressida
The old fox body 5.0 Mustangs
1991 Corvette ZR1 (LT5)
1996 Corvette Grand Sport (LT4)
Toyota Supra

Zero

Star
Registered
The car would have to have limited production, but some cars that I think may be worth something in the future that are hitting the street today (but probably won't be in production for long due to gas prices and other issues) are...

Shelby Mustang (It's a Shelby custom job, nuff said)
RevNews1040.jpg

Dodge Challenger (because it is only gonna be around for a hot minute)
112_0602_dodge_challenger_front_wm.jpg

Dodge Viper
dodge-viper-srt10-coupe.jpg

Nissan GT-R (A given and Nissan will limit it's production with that intent)
Nissan_gtr_%28400x300%29.jpg

Plymouth Prowler (limited production and the value is already rising)
TorqueOmata4074.jpg

Chevy Corvette ZR-1 (all Vettes increase in value eventually)
2009-chevrolet-corvette-zr1-hl.jpg

Ford GT (costs a grip now, will only increase in value)
06ford-gt.jpg

I intentionally went with American muscle cars and one Jap entry that is a given.

456.North.side

Rising Star
Registered
simple find a TOP of the Line rare corvette PARK IT and keep it from seeing sunlight or dirt as much as possible then pull it out in 40 vettes have a cult like following cant miss with that formula, the key is to keep the miles LOW as possible

klep

Star
Registered
Supras

Acura NSX

I think the sleeper Audi TT, it wasnt a marvel of speed or handling but its design at the time was far ahead of anything out under 50,000.

phillycat12

Potential Star
Registered
th_images.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IM GOIN WIT THE MARAUDER...MERCURY DIDNT MAKE TO MANY OF THEM....AND THEY ARE POPPIN RIGHT NOW IN PHILLY!!!

Osca Lee

REALNA'MUTHAFUCKA
Registered
We must remember how and why the muscle cars of the late 60's and early 70's have drawn so much hype. Many who couldnt afford them back then are now CEO's of major companies, some have saved money and attained great paying careers and then you have the Muscle Car resto companies that are creating all the hype and restoring them to sell them selling parts...making millions.

Now dont get me wrong....The real 426HEMI, 440-6PACK, 454LS6, 455 AND THE 428COBRA JET were some great engines and nothing can replace them. Those cars were hell for that era...top of the line for that time period. The same goes for cars of our era. The 1996 Impala SS will always be a beast. Chevy finally got it right the final year. I am not into the ricers due to the fact they are massed produced. American Muscle has always been a limted production run and it will continue to be.

My thoughts are this- the 2nd or 3rd Camaro IF CHEVY GIVE THE BUYERS THE 427 OPTION-will be a gold mine 40 years from now-unless they start making cars that will fly:lol: The Dodge Challenger will be amongst Mopar fans. The ford GT500 Shelby all 10,000 of them will be sought after. As for other cars.......I really dont see any that will be on that level.

aek_54

Star
Registered
I'm thinking most cars in $100.00 plus range will hold on to their value.
Even the used Bently GT Coupes, are going for over $100.00

hollywood310

Star
Registered
Man I love the SC300/400 that car is still sexy to me.

But that Mazda RX7 is a close second, it's still dope as fuck to me:dance: