Canelo: Mayweather Picked Cotto Because He's Easier

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
If you do nothing and I do even a little more (look active), I win the round. Hopkins didn't even fight 6 rounds in those fights, if he had, he would have won. If a fighter takes off at least the first half of the fight, he gives his opponent a huge headstart.
And I think it was a combination of poor matchup and strategy. After getting "robbed" in the first one, why wasn't he more aggressive in the rematch? Bernard needed those losses because he had gotten lazy and used to getting by on his bullshit. We haven't seen him pull that shit (to that degree) since.
Fights aren't judged based on the whole fight, they're judged round by round and he lost two tight fights he could have won.

Dave I've study those fights more than anything in high school. In each fight, Hopkins takes over in the 7th round. There was no match up problem, just a strategy problem. If it were a match up problem than Taylor should have been able to get his shit off. I have no argument with him losing the rounds were he is doing nothing, but making Jermaine miss. That's why I say it should be a tie each time. I have no clue why Hopkins wasn't more active in the second fight, just like I have no clue why Taylor never got his condition straighten out or at least saved some thing in the tank for those later rounds, but for whatever reason those fights played out very much the same... Talyor chasing an old man for six rounds and missing and then B-Hop out boxing him for the last 6 rounds to the point of embarrassment. I think Taylors whole career was fucked up because of that. He has had a chip on his shoulder ever since and has always been trying to go back to what he looked like before Hopkins.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Dave I've study those fights more than anything in high school. In each fight, Hopkins takes over in the 7th round. There was no match up problem, just a strategy problem. If it were a match up problem than Taylor should have been able to get his shit off. I have no argument with him losing the rounds were he is doing nothing, but making Jermaine miss. That's why I say it should be a tie each time. I have no clue why Hopkins wasn't more active in the second fight, just like I have no clue why Taylor never got his condition straighten out or at least saved some thing in the tank for those later rounds, but for whatever reason those fights played out very much the same... Talyor chasing an old man for six rounds and missing and then B-Hop out boxing him for the last 6 rounds to the point of embarrassment. I think Taylors whole career was fucked up because of that. He has had a chip on his shoulder ever since and has always been trying to go back to what he looked like before Hopkins.

The problem with Taylor is/was his lack of discipline. Dude used to blow up to close to 200 lbs between fights. He got by on sheer athleticism and it caught up to him. Throw in some bad decisions (the way he and his corner handled the last round of the Froch fight) and his career will never get back to where it was.
If you said he took over in the 7 round, that means he's already 6 rounds down. He has to fight a perfect fight from then on to just get a draw and he would have to start exactly in the 7th and I didn't think he got it going until after that.
If Hopkins fought Taylor the way he fought Pascal, he wouldn't have those two losses on his record.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
The problem with Taylor is/was his lack of discipline. Dude used to blow up to close to 200 lbs between fights. He got by on sheer athleticism and it caught up to him. Throw in some bad decisions (the way he and his corner handled the last round of the Froch fight) and his career will never get back to where it was.
If you said he took over in the 7 round, that means he's already 6 rounds down. He has to fight a perfect fight from then on to just get a draw and he would have to start exactly in the 7th and I didn't think he got it going until after that.
If Hopkins fought Taylor the way he fought Pascal, he wouldn't have those two losses on his record.

You jumped over that phase were Taylor was chasing a KO after B-Hop. He was fighting with recklessness chasing that KO. That's why Palvik got off on him.

Go back and watch those fights. I'm telling you Taylor, didn't win those fights or even come close. B Hop just didn't do enough to warrant the win either. Both fights were a tie.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
You jumped over that phase were Taylor was chasing a KO after B-Hop. He was fighting with recklessness chasing that KO. That's why Palvik got off on him.

Go back and watch those fights. I'm telling you Taylor, didn't win those fights or even come close. B Hop just didn't do enough to warrant the win either. Both fights were a tie.

I don't think he was chasing kos anymore than any other young fighter, he just didn't improve from the Hopkins fights. Pavlik popped him because he hadn't developed the patience or strategy to put him away when he had Kelly hurt.

I've seen them. I watched the night they happened and went back when people were screaming "robbery" and Jermain won just by Bernard's lack of activity in the first half of the fight. In your eyes, B didn't get going until the 7th round but two judges could say he didn't get started until the 8th or 9th, either way, he's already lost unless he scores a ko or a knockdown and he did neither. He didnt do much is still better than not doing anything.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
I don't think he was chasing kos anymore than any other young fighter, he just didn't improve from the Hopkins fights. Pavlik popped him because he hadn't developed the patience or strategy to put him away when he had Kelly hurt.

I've seen them. I watched the night they happened and went back when people were screaming "robbery" and Jermain won just by Bernard's lack of activity in the first half of the fight. In your eyes, B didn't get going until the 7th round but two judges could say he didn't get started until the 8th or 9th, either way, he's already lost unless he scores a ko or a knockdown and he did neither. He didnt do much is still better than not doing anything.

I won't call it a robbery, but I understand people who call it that. Neither guy did what they needed to do to win on the score cards, but just off who beat the other guy up... It is easily B Hop. I could give a fuck how it was scored by judges, but B Hop should have. In my eyes, B Hop is/was a better fighter and he gave away that win.

In every pre-fighter interview on HBO, all Taylor would talk about was Hopkins and getting back to his old self. The kid let that shit get to him.

Last edited:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I won't call it a robbery, but I understand people who call it that. Neither guy did what they needed to do to win on the score cards, but just off who beat the other guy up... It is easily B Hop. I could give a fuck how it was scored by judges, but B Hop should have. In my eyes, B Hop is/was a better fighter and he gave away that win.

In every pre-fighter interview on HBO, all Taylor would talk about was Hopkins and getting back to his old self. The kid let that shit get to him.

I do think it was Hopkins' fight to lose (I thought it was way too soon for Taylor to fight Bernard, which is why B picked him) but he was way too arrogant and lazy at that point and deserved the outcome he got.
He should, that was the highlight of his career. Knocking out journeymen ain't shit compared to beating a HoF champion. When you peak that early and young, it's always going to haunt an athlete.