Cabbage and Noodles! Simple, easy comfort food.

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator

OCTOBER 15, 2016
CABBAGE AND NOODLES

JUMP TO RECIPE
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.

In this Cabbage & Noodles recipe, simple pantry ingredients create a comforting dish in just minutes. Tender sweet cabbage, fluffy egg noodles and deliciously browned sausage are tossed with butter, salt & pepper. A perfectly comforting meal that your whole family will love!

Cabbage-and-Noodles-with-Sausage-37.jpg
Save

HOW TO MAKE CABBAGE AND NOODLES
PIN IT
PIN NOW TO SAVE IT FOR LATER!

Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!

When I was a kid, I loved veggies and now that I’m older, I love them even more. Right near the top of my list is cabbage!

Not only does it taste great either raw or cooked, it’s so good for you! Typically we use it in cabbage rolls or cabbage roll soup but of course it’s great in a nice crunchy coleslawtoo!

Cabbage-and-Noodles-with-Sausage-26.jpg
Save

Cabbage and Noodles (aka Haluskie) is an old Polish dish and it’s one of my favorites! Different areas have slightly different versions, Slovak Halusky is more of a potato dumpling while other areas enjoy it as cabbage and noodles.

Regardless of what you call this dish, it’s the perfect way to enjoy the sweet flavors of cabbage and a great way to get a meal on the table on a busy weeknight!

Cabbage-and-Noodles-with-Sausage-29.jpg
Save

Don’t let the simplicity of this recipe deter you from giving it a try, ingredients don’t have to be fancy to taste amazing!

When seasoning this dish, be generous with the salt & pepper, it makes this extra good! I typically use egg noodles in this dish, I love the light fluffy texture and you can use any type of sausage. If you don’t like sausage, feel free to crisp up some bacon (and sub in some of the bacon grease in place of the butter) or skip the meat altogether.

Cabbage and Noodles
Cabbage and Noodles recipe is quick and easy with tender sweet cabbage, egg noodles and browned sausage tossed in butter, salt & pepper. This Polish recipe is also known as Haluski and once you try it, it'll become a staple in your meal rotation!

Cabbage-and-Noodles-with-Sausage-29-300x300.jpg
Save
YIELD: 4-6 SERVINGS

TOTAL TIME: 40 MINUTES

PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES

COOK TIME: 30 MINUTES

CABBAGE AND NOODLES

Tender sweet cabbage, fluffy egg noodles and deliciously browned sausage are tossed with butter, salt & pepper. A perfectly comforting meal that your whole family will love!

PRINT RECIPE
5 / 5 (54 Reviews)
Did you make this recipe?
LEAVE A REVIEW »
INGREDIENTS:
  • 12 oz kielbasa or sausage , sliced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil , divided
  • 1/4 cup salted butter
  • 1 large onion , diced
  • 1/2 head cabbage , chopped (approx. 6-7 cups)
  • 1 clove garlic , minced
  • 2/3 cup frozen peas
  • 8 oz uncooked egg noodles
  • salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Cook noodles according to package directions, drain and set aside.
  2. In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cook sausage until lightly browned.
  3. Add remaining olive oil, butter and onion. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
  4. Add cabbage and garlic. Cook until tender (10-15 minutes). Stir in peas, noodles and salt & pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
NUTRITION INFORMATION

Yield: 4-6 servings, Serving Size:

• Amount Per Serving:
  • Calories: 415 Calories
(Nutriton information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)

©Holly Nilsson for SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.

MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Cabbage Roll Soup

Save

Easy Cabbage Rolls

Save

CATEGORIES:
PIZZA AND PASTA PORK AND FISH SIDE DISHES
Share34K
Tweet
+132
Yum657
Email
SHARES185K
fa4bdeb9d2aa6450536af2064fac2481
Save
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
HOLLY

Holly is a wine and cheese lover, recipe creator, shopping enthusiast and self appointed foodie. Her greatest passion is creating in the kitchen and making deliciously comforting recipes for the everyday home cook!

MORE POSTS BY HOLLY »
« PREVIOUS POSTWEEKLY MENU PLAN #70
NEXT POST »PUMPKIN DOG TREAT RECIPE
GET A FREE BONUS EBOOK!SUBSCRIBE NOW
Subscribe to recieve weekly recipes and get a FREE Bonus e-book: Quick & Easy Weeknight Meals!

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE...

LEMON RICE KRISPIE TREATS

CLASSIC THUMBPRINT COOKIES

BROCCOLI CHEESE CASSEROLE WITH HAM

399 COMMENTS ON “CABBAGE AND NOODLES”
  1. GYPSYOCTOBER 16, 2016 @ 11:36 AM REPLY
    Love your recipes
  2. JEAN OSBORNEOCTOBER 17, 2016 @ 3:22 PM REPLY
    LOVE YOUR RECIPES AND IDEAS.

3. SOCTOBER 17, 2016 @ 3:23 PM REPLY
    Yummy

4. LOU ANN STROZYKOCTOBER 17, 2016 @ 3:48 PM REPLY
    Sounds good to me. My husband is half Polish, so you know he will like it.
  5. DEANNA COLLUMOCTOBER 17, 2016 @ 4:19 PM REPLY
    Wish I had a plateful in front of me right now!

6. SUEOCTOBER 17, 2016 @ 5:58 PM REPLY
    I’m making this tonight

7. BRENDA B VANROOTSELAAROCTOBER 17, 2016 @ 6:19 PM REPLY
    OMG! Thank you Holly! This was absolutely fantastic. I was leary about the noodles and was thinking I should be using potatoes. NO!!!!!!! Noodles is the way to go! Thank you1 Love it!
  8. KELLY AOCTOBER 17, 2016 @ 11:34 PM REPLY
    This sounds delicious. I wonder if anyone has any ideas on how to make this gluten-free? What could you sub for the noodles?
    • HOLLYOCTOBER 18, 2016 @ 2:42 AM REPLY
      You could just use extra cabbage.
    • TJOCTOBER 18, 2016 @ 12:14 PM REPLY
      GF Penne works

• CASSANDRAOCTOBER 18, 2016 @ 6:51 PM REPLY
      Barilla makes gluten free noodles or you could use egg noodles

• GLUTEN LOVEROCTOBER 21, 2016 @ 6:22 PM REPLY
      This has been a two ingredient recipe for thousands of years; cabbage and NOODLES. Without noodles, it’s just cabbage.

Please don’t ruin this with a made up intolerance.
      • KATIEOCTOBER 23, 2016 @ 4:39 PM REPLY
        Although I do believe a vast majority of people do not know what gluten is and say they are intolerant. Some people actually can not eat it, I have a friend who cant.
        • KASSDECEMBER 4, 2016 @ 2:38 PM REPLY
          Then go to a gluten free website and find gluten free recipes there instead of whining here that this is not gluten free.
          • MAGGIEDECEMBER 8, 2016 @ 1:03 PM
            She was not whining about it not being gluten free, she was just asking for ideas. I also get irritated at people who go gluten-free for no reason other than it is the trendy thing to do … but last year one of my best friends was diagnosed by his doctor as having celiac disease, so not I have to look for gluten free recipes on occasion myself. (I hate doing it, but he’s a good friend. And I certainly don’t want to limit myself to gluten-free websites – they irritate me too much because of all the people there who do not need to be there.) Maybe you could stop whining about other people whining, and just ignore the question if you don’t want to answer it.

• JULIADECEMBER 9, 2016 @ 9:00 PM
            It’s strange that someone with a gluten intolerance wouldn’t know about the growing number of GF pasta options. Its been a year or so since major brands started to put out GF products.

But, let’s give her the benefit of the doubt. She wasn’t whining. She asked if anyone in the comment section would know of a good noodle substitute.

• LORRIEDECEMBER 26, 2016 @ 2:33 PM
            It’s not strange at all. Maybe she is newly diagnosed and tryi ng to figure things out. You learn by asking questions. Must be nice to think you know everything and are an expert on other peoples lives.

• HARRIETTEJUNE 22, 2017 @ 7:43 AM
            Wow!! Where did THAT come from?? No whining…the person just asked a question. Geez!!
      • HEATHEROCTOBER 24, 2016 @ 1:15 PM REPLY
        Celiac disease is a medical diagnosis, I hardly think that is “made up.” Further, one can also have a high level of antibodies present in response to gluten, which would result in an allergy or intolerance. This can also be diagnosed through medical testing, specifically blood testing. Those of us who need to avoid gluten don’t find it enjoyable, btw, it makes cooking and eating out in restaurants more difficult and more expensive.
        • MELANIENOVEMBER 8, 2016 @ 11:13 AM REPLY
          Just ignore people who don’t understand your illness. Praying you stay healthy and feeling good.

• PENNYDECEMBER 5, 2016 @ 5:48 PM REPLY
          It is okay for someone to post recipes that are not gluten free. If you have an issue with that, find a gluten free cookbook, go to stores that stock gluten free foods….and please shut up and go away.
      • KATHYDECEMBER 10, 2016 @ 2:36 PM REPLY
        Talk about intolerance…

• SAM ALLENMARCH 29, 2017 @ 12:55 PM REPLY
        Leave out the noodles add more cabbage and sausage.use to make it in a slow cooker in my semi while driving down the highway.

• LISAMARCH 2, 2018 @ 6:57 AM REPLY
        I resent that comment my daughter is gluten free, she has celiacs disease and gluten has caused her to become very sick, she lost all of her hair. It can be made with gluten free pasta!!
    • BRENDAOCTOBER 22, 2016 @ 3:47 PM REPLY
      We make this and use potatoes instead of noodles. We also use corn instead of peas…but I think this version looks yummy to try!

• KASSDECEMBER 4, 2016 @ 2:37 PM REPLY
      Why don’t you just go to a gluten free recipe site and get recipes there? This one is not gluten free, and that’s okay.
    • RENEEJULY 7, 2017 @ 7:42 AM REPLY

I use quinoa. Delicious!

• CATHYOCTOBER 1, 2017 @ 3:26 PM REPLY
      I use “Jovial” Brand gluten free traditional egg pasta. I get it at Whole Foods Market. My family all enjoy them and they don’t fall apart like many gluten free noodles.
  9. MRS. PRESSOCTOBER 18, 2016 @ 12:10 AM REPLY
    Thanks for the easy recipes. I WORK NIGHT SHIFT. I NEED QUICK AND BUDGET MEALS FOR MY FAMILY. THANKS AGAIN MRS PRESS

10. COLLEENOCTOBER 18, 2016 @ 9:01 AM REPLY
    Thanks holly it looks so good.

11. JODY WOCTOBER 18, 2016 @ 10:08 AM REPLY
    This recipe is excellent!

12. JEANOCTOBER 18, 2016 @ 11:13 AM REPLY
    Looks and sounds great! How doI get the nutrition info??
  13. HELENOCTOBER 18, 2016 @ 11:16 AM REPLY
    Sound good will try

14. TERIOCTOBER 18, 2016 @ 12:36 PM REPLY

I added a few other ingredients. Garlic salt and onion powder and a little celery. This was delicious. 5 stars

15. ALLAN ABBOTTOCTOBER 18, 2016 @ 10:57 PM REPLY
    Hi.my name is Allan and I am a single parent who only knows how to cook the basic,your help in improving my culinary skills would improve my confidence.
  16. FRANK BALUCHOCTOBER 19, 2016 @ 10:52 AM REPLY
    Could you post or send me the instruction for the Slovak Haluskie. I loved this as a child.
    • HOLLYOCTOBER 19, 2016 @ 5:40 PM REPLY
      I’m sorry Frank, I don’t have the recipe for Slovak Haluskie but I bet it’s delicious. I’d suggest doing a search on Google, I’m sure you’ll be able to find one there.
  17. SANDRAOCTOBER 20, 2016 @ 4:33 AM REPLY
    I will DEFINITELY try this!! Looks great!!
  18. BETTEOCTOBER 20, 2016 @ 5:25 AM REPLY
    Simple to make, healthy food.
  19. RENESSA PINNEROCTOBER 20, 2016 @ 12:01 PM REPLY
    Just made it should you cook a side or a bread with this? Tasted it taste great!
  20. KAREN WILSONOCTOBER 20, 2016 @ 2:08 PM REPLY
    I would like to make this recipe for 100 servings. We cook at the Salvation Army soup kitchen and this would be a great meal. Could you make the conversion and send me an updated version for 100 servings? Thanks.
  21. JOEOCTOBER 20, 2016 @ 6:37 PM REPLY
    I add a touch of curry once in awhile, just for a change.
  22. LHYNNOCTOBER 20, 2016 @ 6:42 PM REPLY
    I fixed this for dinner tonight. Just loved it!!!
  23. HARRYOCTOBER 20, 2016 @ 8:41 PM REPLY
    Pretty bland. If I make it again definitely red pepper flakes, less noodles and, who knows, maybe a little lime.

24. JEANNEOCTOBER 20, 2016 @ 10:37 PM REPLY
    Yummy recipes!

25. FRANCINE SHEEHYOCTOBER 21, 2016 @ 1:42 PM REPLY
    J aime vos recettes Faciles à faire Merci

26. MELISAOCTOBER 21, 2016 @ 4:26 PM REPLY
    Love this. So So good, and easy

27. JOANNEOCTOBER 21, 2016 @ 8:34 PM REPLY
    So good and so easy, especially for a weeknight meal! Love your recipes!
  28. JUANITAOCTOBER 22, 2016 @ 12:46 PM REPLY
    I love cabbage, but hate green peas. What’s a good substitute??
  29. LISAOCTOBER 23, 2016 @ 10:08 AM REPLY
    This looks amazing! Can’t wait to make it tonight with Sunday dinner.
  30. EDIE COXOCTOBER 23, 2016 @ 6:32 PM REPLY
    Thanks for your recipes that mostly seem to be of a “comfort food” nature, yet healhy and easy to prepare.
  31. LORNAOCTOBER 24, 2016 @ 5:38 AM REPLY
    Will this dish be good served cold? I’m looking for dishes I can send with my boyfriend to work that don’t need to be heated up.
  32. VIVOCTOBER 24, 2016 @ 7:58 AM REPLY
    Love your site
  33. MIKEOCTOBER 24, 2016 @ 5:14 PM REPLY
    I like that recipe
  34. COURTNEY CORREAOCTOBER 24, 2016 @ 5:46 PM REPLY
    Made it tonight and it was a hit! My Colombian husband ate it right up! Thank you!
  35. BRANDYOCTOBER 24, 2016 @ 8:23 PM REPLY
    I tried this recipe today (the video was excellent) and I LOVED it!! I’m not usually big into cooking, but this was fun and easy to make. My daughter ate two bowls of the cabbage and noodles. Thank you for sharing!
  36. PATOCTOBER 24, 2016 @ 10:29 PM REPLY
    My MOTHER IN LAW MADE THESE SEVERAL TIMES FOR ME. TRUE GERMAN !!! I SO MISS HER AND WHEN I SEE THESE PHOTO’S IT REMINDS ME OF WHAT A WONDERFUL COOK AND A REAL SPECIAL LADY SHE WAS TO OUR WHOLE FAMILY.
    • SPEND WITH PENNIES MOCTOBER 25, 2016 @ 6:45 PM REPLY
      I’m so glad you think so! This is such an easy and tasty meal to make. I love that it reminds you of your mother-in-law!
  37. RALEIGHOCTOBER 25, 2016 @ 6:56 PM REPLY
    Wow! I couldn’t wait to make this and I was more than pleased!!! Super super yummy and so easy. Thank you!
  38. MICHELEOCTOBER 26, 2016 @ 10:21 AM REPLY
    The cabbage roll soup is great!
    Now on to try the cabbage and noodles.
  39. KATIEOCTOBER 26, 2016 @ 9:05 PM REPLY
    Nice recipe

40. CHASE CLARKOCTOBER 27, 2016 @ 4:48 AM REPLY
    Hi Spendwithpennies

Looking to make this cabbage-noodles

41. BARBOCTOBER 27, 2016 @ 4:59 PM REPLY
    This was just delicious and very easy. Will definitely make it again soon.
    Thanks!

42. LINDAOCTOBER 27, 2016 @ 7:07 PM REPLY
    Look’s great and I can’t wait to make it. Thank you!

43. LINDAOCTOBER 27, 2016 @ 7:11 PM REPLY
    Looks great and I can’t wait to try it. My girlfriend made it and loved it. Thank you

44. GEMMA CROWDEROCTOBER 28, 2016 @ 4:51 AM REPLY
    Love your recipes. I collect recipes.
    Looking forward to seeing yours they look great
  45. SUE COXOCTOBER 28, 2016 @ 8:51 AM REPLY
    Can’t wait to try the cabbage and noodles recipe

46. JULIE SIMONSOCTOBER 28, 2016 @ 9:03 AM REPLY
    Can’t wait to try some of these mouth watering dishes…. they look so yummy

47. KENNYOCTOBER 28, 2016 @ 12:05 PM REPLY
    I’m going to the store right now to get all the ingredients to make this for lunch!!!!!!

48. RICH LINSLEYOCTOBER 28, 2016 @ 7:30 PM REPLY
    Looks delicious

49. LOUISE CURTISOCTOBER 29, 2016 @ 3:24 PM REPLY
    If the taste is half as good as the smell then it will be a definite winner mmmmmmm
  50. DAVID TROUTOCTOBER 30, 2016 @ 1:02 AM REPLY
    Looks good. But not a big fan of cabbage. What are some suggestions for a substitute!
    • HOLLYNOVEMBER 10, 2016 @ 7:05 PM REPLY
      I have only made this recipe as written. You could certainly use a shredded or julienned version of your favorite vegetable however this would definitely change the dish.
  51. LOUISEOCTOBER 30, 2016 @ 7:10 AM REPLY
    looks very good, bet I woukd like it.

52. PAT DAVISOCTOBER 30, 2016 @ 11:53 AM REPLY
    What’s wrong

53. STACI STOUTOCTOBER 30, 2016 @ 1:12 PM REPLY
    Making it right now. House smells wonderful!

54. HARRY MORELOCTOBER 30, 2016 @ 1:49 PM REPLY
    Awesome :)

55. LINDAOCTOBER 30, 2016 @ 5:48 PM REPLY
    Just had this for dinner. It was very good and tasty so easy to make
  56. MONICAOCTOBER 31, 2016 @ 11:09 AM REPLY
    Your recipes look like I can’t mess up. Can I get emails with new ones?
  57. JANELLOCTOBER 31, 2016 @ 11:23 AM REPLY
    This cabbage and noodle recipe is awesome. My husband loves it. Just made it for a 2nd time in a month.

58. ROBIN ROYSTEROCTOBER 31, 2016 @ 4:32 PM REPLY
    Can’t wait to try this! Love your recipes! Thank you for sharing!
  59. DIANNENOVEMBER 1, 2016 @ 4:24 PM REPLY
    Delicious! Thanks for posting. Very different from our norm.
  60. WENDYNOVEMBER 2, 2016 @ 9:44 AM REPLY
    This was delicious Holly! My family ate it right up! Now they want me to try it with apple chicken sausage, mushrooms, and cheese! I hope it’s as good as yours!
  61. COURTNEYNOVEMBER 2, 2016 @ 3:05 PM REPLY
    I made this tonight and it’s really good. I love cabbage so this was a no brainer. I did have to cook the cabbage for about 10 minutes longer than the recipe called for. Thanks for the recipe.

62. SYLVIANOVEMBER 3, 2016 @ 4:33 PM REPLY
    Fixed the Kielbasa Sausage and Cabbage dish tonight. It was awesome! Thanks so much.

63. MONA MAYLENOVEMBER 5, 2016 @ 12:20 AM REPLY
    Looks delicious, will definitely have to try these tecipes!!

64. LAURANOVEMBER 5, 2016 @ 3:31 PM REPLY
    I made this today. I used turkey kielbasa. Wish I could show a picture of it. Thanks, awesome recipe.

65. G. WILSONNOVEMBER 5, 2016 @ 8:29 PM REPLY
    Made this tonight! Only used 1/2 an onion and used 2 kielbasa. Also added a splash of Apple cider vinegar. Yummilicious!!!

66. LINDANOVEMBER 6, 2016 @ 3:37 PM REPLY
    My husband and I loved this. Coming from a Russian background I was familiar with Halushki. Have never had it with kielbasa. It is delicious. Will definitely make it again. Cannot wait to tell my sisters about it. Thank you.

67. CHARITYNOVEMBER 6, 2016 @ 4:39 PM REPLY
    Thank you, I am making this right now. Im not the best cook in the world but i have found this recipe very easy to follow and it looks and smells delicious. Can’t wait to eat it more importantly to see if my family will enjoy it.

68. ELMA SILVASNOVEMBER 6, 2016 @ 10:02 PM REPLY
    Baked goods recipes that have the cabbage

69. CATHY TRUENOVEMBER 7, 2016 @ 8:37 AM REPLY
    Love it

70. TERESA GENDIMENICONOVEMBER 7, 2016 @ 9:20 AM REPLY
    Can I make the cabbage and noodles ahead of time and reheat it for dinner or is it best made when it’s served immediately?
  71. LYNNETTANOVEMBER 9, 2016 @ 7:02 AM REPLY
    Thanks I love ur recepeas

72. LEONARD VANCENOVEMBER 9, 2016 @ 8:25 AM REPLY
    I enjoy your recipes! Thanks!

73. LINDANOVEMBER 9, 2016 @ 9:57 AM REPLY
    Looks awesome

74. NANCY SCHILLINGNOVEMBER 9, 2016 @ 6:24 PM REPLY
    I can’t wait to make this recipe! I have all of the ingredients, I just need the time. But it looks like tomorrow’s dinner!

75. MARJORIE MULLENNOVEMBER 9, 2016 @ 10:40 PM REPLY
    Made this for dinner last night and we loved it. Husband said this is a keeper!
  76. DEANNNOVEMBER 12, 2016 @ 5:47 PM REPLY
    I’m going to try this, but I’m going to add in some shredded carrots and sun dried tomatoes :)
  77. CARL REICHOWNOVEMBER 14, 2016 @ 11:17 AM REPLY
    Good

78. TINANOVEMBER 15, 2016 @ 1:04 PM REPLY
    Your cabbage and noodle recipe is fantastic. This is the second time I am making
    it in less then 2 weeks. The best part is it is so easy to put together for busy Mom’s/Grandma’s. We absolutely love it. Cannot wait to try your other recipes.

Thank you
  79. SUSAN LUTZNOVEMBER 15, 2016 @ 2:07 PM REPLY
    I made this Cabbage and Noodles dish today and it was delicious. Definitely a keeper. Thank you.
  80. SUMMER AMBROSININOVEMBER 19, 2016 @ 5:08 PM REPLY
    This is similar to a dish my mom made when I was growing up. I made this the other night and thought it was great. My husband liked it (no suprise) and so did my daughter (big surprise! ). I will definitely make it again.
  81. MARY ANNNOVEMBER 20, 2016 @ 4:13 PM REPLY
    Made this for dinner tonight. I made it with purple cabbage and frozen mixed veggies. My cabbage to noodle ratio was off , should of been more noodles ..my hubby is not cabbage friendly but I loved it. Thank you! I forgot to mention I did take a picture and it was very pretty

82. MABELNOVEMBER 21, 2016 @ 6:53 AM REPLY
    Could this be made with canned Leisure green peas.
  83. DENISE SOLOMONNOVEMBER 22, 2016 @ 3:10 PM REPLY
    oh my goodness.. i made the cabbage and noodles and i’m in heaven…what a tastey meal.. i will mske it again….ty for sharing this wonderful dish…..
  84. PEGGY MAXEYNOVEMBER 23, 2016 @ 2:39 PM REPLY
    Can’t wait to make sausage cabbage and noodles for my family

85. BRENDANOVEMBER 23, 2016 @ 11:03 PM REPLY
    Can you please give me a Mac&Chesse
  86. ASSALANOVEMBER 25, 2016 @ 12:17 PM REPLY
    i did
    it and it was so delicious , thanks a lot

87. SUSAN IVISONNOVEMBER 25, 2016 @ 5:25 PM REPLY
    Looks great! Will try soon. Tried the Cabbage tool soup and it was very good. Thanks so much for the recipients!

88. THERESA HITCHCOCKNOVEMBER 25, 2016 @ 5:51 PM REPLY
    That combination don’t sound good but it surely looks good. I’D LIKE to make it.

89. THERESA HITCHCOCKNOVEMBER 25, 2016 @ 6:33 PM REPLY
    I LIKE YOUR recipes, keep them coming.

90. TALALELEINOVEMBER 27, 2016 @ 3:18 AM REPLY
    Hi my name is Talalelei.Hefa
  91. SHARONNOVEMBER 27, 2016 @ 3:41 PM REPLY
    I will be trying this one day soon.

92. LORNA GARNEYNOVEMBER 28, 2016 @ 4:46 AM REPLY
    Love the cabbage and noodles! Will be looking on here more for things to make.
  93. YASHIKANOVEMBER 28, 2016 @ 10:30 PM REPLY
    Love it I use corn instead of the peas and I also added Turkey Bacon so yummy.
  94. MEAGANNOVEMBER 29, 2016 @ 6:52 PM REPLY
    This looks delicious can’t wait to try it

95. YSELIANOVEMBER 30, 2016 @ 1:23 AM REPLY
    What can I add to spice it up a little ? Red pepper flakes? Jalapeños? Any ideas
  96. MARCYDECEMBER 7, 2016 @ 1:52 PM REPLY
    love cabbage in any dish, this one looks good!

97. REOLA SCHMIDTDECEMBER 9, 2016 @ 9:56 AM REPLY
    I really want to try this Thanks

98. JACQUELYNN ORTNERDECEMBER 12, 2016 @ 1:08 PM REPLY
    I will be trying this tonight for supper. We like meals such as this. I was raise with polish food. Mother was polish. Thanks for the recipe.
  99. BRIAN SMITHDECEMBER 14, 2016 @ 8:54 AM REPLY
    love your recipes you might not get much from men but I do all the cooking in my household
  100. RENITA BALDWINDECEMBER 14, 2016 @ 9:36 AM REPLY
    I cooked the cabbage and noodles last night. Very delish! Loved it.
  101. SHARONDECEMBER 14, 2016 @ 5:46 PM REPLY
    I am sorry, but I have to say something about your recipe for your so called “Cabbage & Noodles”. My grandmother, Dad, Aunt, Great Aunts & Great Uncles, 2nd & 3rd cousins were born in Poland and the Polish way to make cabbage & noodles is saute onions in butter till translucent, add cabbage cook till softened, add egg noodles, salt & pepper to taste. No sausage, no kielbasa, no garlic and absolutely never, ever peas! This recipe is no “cabbage & noodles” even by Eastern European standards. (I will admit my grandmother would add kielbasa but only if there was leftover kielbasa, which was rare).
    • HOLLYDECEMBER 14, 2016 @ 7:06 PM REPLY
      My mother’s side of the family is also from Poland. :) You’re more than welcome to leave out the peas if that is how you prepare Cabbage and Noodles (and add the kielbasa if you have leftovers like your grandmother did, it’s delicious). Enjoy!
  102. URSULA MILLERLMOSTDECEMBER 18, 2016 @ 10:34 AM REPLY
    Loved the idea, but, of course, had to change it up a bit! (Thanks for the basics!) Subbed in bratwurst for the kielbasa. (I’m German and, frankly, don’t like kielbasa!0 Added a couple of teaspoons of caraway seed. (That German thing again!) Finally, stirred some spicy mustard into some milk and blended that into the almost finished dish with Plenty of fresh ground pepper cuz I wanted a creamy element (and we Germans like our mustard!). YUM!
  103. LORRAINE HAMILTONDECEMBER 23, 2016 @ 9:49 PM REPLY
    Twenty-five years when our budget was really tight, my son’s girlfriend gave me a similar recipe. Crumbled bacon, cabbage stir fried in the bacon grease, a dash of soy sauce and all poured over rice. Fed many a teen with this.
  104. MARIEDECEMBER 28, 2016 @ 9:47 PM REPLY
    This looks so good…i’m trying for new years
  105. AUGUSTIN GONZALEZDECEMBER 30, 2016 @ 4:36 AM REPLY
    Great ideas for good meals

106. SCOTT MCKINNEYDECEMBER 31, 2016 @ 11:21 AM REPLY
    I added diced red bell pepper. Really good. Thanks for the recipe.
  107. ROLAND GAUDETJANUARY 4, 2017 @ 9:40 AM REPLY
    What temperature do you cook this dish at med high or high?
  108. MIKEJANUARY 5, 2017 @ 12:05 PM REPLY
    Unless you use kielbasa with a kick, this dish will need some serious seasoning. There aren’t too many bold flavors, between the egg noodles, cabbage, onion and peas. Especially for the average American. Try adding a butter-based sauce or a few splashes of Frank’s hot sauce. The more exotic me thinks something peanut-based would be good, but then again, I’m thinking of Thai food at the moment.

109. GAYLEJANUARY 7, 2017 @ 12:24 PM REPLY
    We are trying this tonight for dinner. My hubby is pure Polish and I am half Lithuanian (oh what a combo!!!) so I’ll let you know how it was!! Thanks for the recipe!!

110. SANDYJANUARY 8, 2017 @ 3:43 AM REPLY
    Yummy

111. KARLIJANUARY 9, 2017 @ 7:21 PM REPLY
    Fabulous!!! Thank you for sharing. Quick and easy to make. The whole family loved it.
  112. MARY COLTARTJANUARY 10, 2017 @ 5:31 AM REPLY
    Where can I get these noodles in Scotland
  113. SANDYJANUARY 10, 2017 @ 4:32 PM REPLY
    I am going to try this it looks so delicious

114. LYNNMITJANUARY 11, 2017 @ 4:48 PM REPLY
    Made this today, kids and I absolutely loved it!! Glad I found your site!!

115. KISMETJANUARY 11, 2017 @ 5:25 PM REPLY
    I love this and make it all the time. I used canned carrots rather than peas due to family preference and often add jalapeños and chopped peppers. Yum.

116. LINDAJANUARY 12, 2017 @ 11:46 AM REPLY
    Dinner tonight
    Going to serve with a little grated asiago cheese sprinkled on top

117. BETTYJANUARY 12, 2017 @ 9:53 PM REPLY
    COULD YOU USE BACON INSTEAD
  118. TIFFANYJANUARY 13, 2017 @ 9:28 AM REPLY
    Holly, I love your recipes and I have made this one before! I was going to cook it again but I was contemplating adding some fennel to it! Do you think that sounds like a good idea? Thanks!
    • HOLLYJANUARY 13, 2017 @ 7:53 PM REPLY
      I think it sounds delicious (I love fennel and haven’t bought it in SO long… yet bought some today so it was fun to see this message)! It will take longer to cook so you may like to add it in with the onions.
  119. MARIE DENNYJANUARY 16, 2017 @ 1:11 PM REPLY
    We don’t really like peas. Do you think fresh green beans would be to much? Want to try for family.
  120. STEPHANIE ARMSTRONGJANUARY 17, 2017 @ 2:35 PM REPLY
    First time cooking with cabbage and I LOVED it! I’ve made it 3 times now, once was for a friend who just had a baby she loves it too :D

121. KURT KRONSBERGJANUARY 17, 2017 @ 4:59 PM REPLY
    Trying to figure out something different to cook for dinner is sometimes difficult, so it was really nice to find this recipe that my friend posted on FB. It’s really really good and so easy to make. Thank You!! I’m a new fan.
  122. ALIAJANUARY 28, 2017 @ 11:18 AM REPLY
    Would this recipe freeze well?
  123. SUSAN DAVISJANUARY 29, 2017 @ 6:44 AM REPLY
    Love your recipes thanks for sharing

124. MARTHAJANUARY 30, 2017 @ 5:41 AM REPLY
    Does anyone have calories counts on this and protein and carbs
    • SPEND WITH PENNIES MFEBRUARY 2, 2017 @ 6:55 AM REPLY
      I’m sorry I am unable to provide nutritional information. You can enter your ingredients here to calculate your calories.
  125. MARY ANNJANUARY 30, 2017 @ 6:44 PM REPLY
    I love your recipe they are really good and easy thanks for sharing them

126. DEBBIE HAWESFEBRUARY 1, 2017 @ 10:47 AM REPLY
    DO YOU HAVE A CALORIE COUNT FOR THIS RECIPE?
    • SPEND WITH PENNIES MFEBRUARY 2, 2017 @ 6:55 AM REPLY
      I’m sorry I am unable to provide nutritional information. You can enter your ingredients here to calculate your calories.
  127. PAULAFEBRUARY 2, 2017 @ 2:39 PM REPLY
    The very best meal to whip up and flavorful!!!

128. GEORGE MFEBRUARY 5, 2017 @ 5:05 PM REPLY
    Trying this tonight got for super bowl Sunday!! Looks amazing!

129. SUSANFEBRUARY 10, 2017 @ 8:55 AM REPLY
    This looks great! I have celiac, but I still look at tasty recipes like this one! It was very confusing for me when first diagnosed. It changes your world, after all I’m southern! Just substitute one of the GF pastas that’s on the market. Believe me, she wasn’t whining.
  130. DECEMBERFEBRUARY 10, 2017 @ 6:04 PM REPLY
    The Cabbage and Noodles sounds terrific and we just finished dinner, can’t wait to try it.
  131. URSULA MOSTELLERFEBRUARY 11, 2017 @ 12:21 PM REPLY
    Yummmmy , soooo good !

132. MARTHAFEBRUARY 12, 2017 @ 12:15 AM REPLY
    Oh my GOODNESS! I’m in heaven! My favorite Auntie married a polish man whose mother was first generation polish American -she learned all the authentic recipes from her polish immigrant grant mother and my Aunt in turn learned from her. She made homemade pierogies-the BEST cabbage rolls ever and cabbage with noodles and the most incredible nut rolls I’ve ever eaten. Sadly my Aunt passed away and I never got her recipes. Excited to try these recipes in hopes I can make them half as well as my Aunt Eileen. Thanks for publishing -I’ll let you know how it goes!
  133. STEPHANIEFEBRUARY 12, 2017 @ 3:40 PM REPLY
    Made it for supper. It was a great success!
  134. NANCYFEBRUARY 13, 2017 @ 7:59 PM REPLY
    The cabbage noodles dish is wonderful. I used a pineapple chicken sausage. It was fabulous.
  135. KIMFEBRUARY 14, 2017 @ 4:22 AM REPLY
    Love this recipe! I add a package of onion soup mix for added favor..yum!

136. JEANNEFEBRUARY 19, 2017 @ 9:34 AM REPLY
    I have made this several times my daughter was over and tasted it now she makes it all the time too. It is very good and very reasonable to make
  137. SANDRA ROBINSONFEBRUARY 20, 2017 @ 12:57 PM REPLY
    looks amazing ..making it sometime this week ..family will enjoy this

138. VICKI AGEEFEBRUARY 21, 2017 @ 11:04 AM REPLY
    This is delicious!

139. BEVERLY SCUBELEKFEBRUARY 22, 2017 @ 7:12 AM REPLY
    I make this all the time ,but I use one stick of real butter no oil and I use hot dogs the kids like it better

140. LINDA STRAUSSFEBRUARY 22, 2017 @ 3:07 PM REPLY
    I am giving this sausage and cabbage dish a try, however I will be using johnsonville andouille sausage instead of smoked because of the extra spice and kick

141. TAYLORMARCH 8, 2017 @ 5:36 PM REPLY
    Getting ready to make the cabbage and noodles…… Can’t wait to try it….. So excited!!!!!!

142. PHYLLISMARCH 9, 2017 @ 11:05 AM REPLY
    Love love love your recipes. Thank you!

143. GENET ZICKASMARCH 11, 2017 @ 5:10 PM REPLY
    This was awesome

144. EILEEN WAGNERMARCH 12, 2017 @ 6:54 PM REPLY
    I make mine like this except for the peas. I don’t like peas that much. Only the Le seur peas in certain things like Shepherds Pie and Beef Stew.

145. SHARONMARCH 16, 2017 @ 9:51 PM REPLY
    My husband told me to be sure and hang onto this recipe! We loved it, think we will be eating this often.

146. JENNIFER GELLHAUSMARCH 17, 2017 @ 5:46 PM REPLY
    This was delicious! I used steamed asparagus instead of peas because I forgot them at the grocery….this will definitely be on my menu!
  147. LIN LIVMARCH 22, 2017 @ 8:21 AM REPLY
    Loved this dish! Just added some garlic powder, paprika, and extra butter.
  148. SHERRY CRAIGOMARCH 23, 2017 @ 4:25 PM REPLY
    I just did your cabbage noodles it is really good and not hard to do it also seems healthier than most things I cook. This was fun and taste good. Thank you
  149. KATHY O'GORMANMARCH 27, 2017 @ 10:04 AM REPLY
    Your print this recipe button opens on a print page but the recipe is blank. I wish you gave the option of the recipe opening on a page as text and us being able to initiate print ourselves.
  150. RUBYMARCH 27, 2017 @ 1:50 PM REPLY
    Great recipe!! Can’t wait to give it a try.

151. CHRISTOPHER VELICHKAAPRIL 1, 2017 @ 8:30 PM REPLY
    Stir in a cup of cottage chese at the end to make it creamy and evwn more delicious!

152. PAULA AUSTINAPRIL 4, 2017 @ 6:55 AM REPLY
    Love the recipes. Cabbage and noodles looks good.

153. KATE QAPRIL 8, 2017 @ 8:06 PM REPLY
    This was just divine! So simple, and so delicious. I made quite a few changes, due to personal preference/what we had on hand, but this recipe is the one that finally got me confident enough to slice into the cabbage I picked up a couple weeks ago on sale (first time cabbage cooker, here!). This will definitely be a part of the regular rotation.

Now, if anyone is wondering about what kinds of things you can change, the answer is always basically whatever sounds good to you! Since we don’t eat meat, I omitted the sausage. And since my husband doesn’t even allow onions in the house, those were left out too. So flavor was provided by lots of garlic sauteed in the olive oil, a few of my favorite herbs and spice blends, and lots of freshly ground sea salt and black pepper. Didn’t think it needed any additional oil, so we didn’t add butter, but I did add a bit of water (1/4 c.?), to get a tasty bit of broth, and also included a bit of my “no chicken” broth seasoning, to make up for some of the lost savory notes. Since we didn’t have any egg noodles around, I used bowtie pasta. This worked very well, but I do look forward to trying it with the egg noodles next time :)

It was served with a splash of low-sodium soy sauce, and freshly grated parmesan cheese, so it was extremely unconventional, but fit our tastes perfectly.

Loved the brightness of the peas, and the small quantity of leftovers also heated up very very nicely for lunch at work the next day.
    • SPEND WITH PENNIES SLAPRIL 9, 2017 @ 6:39 AM REPLY
      Thank you for sharing! This recipe is super versatile and can be dressed up in so many ways!I am glad you were able to adapt it to meet your needs. Thank you so much for sharing some ideas for others about good changes to make! I have made this with bow tie noodles and liked the results. I have to try grated parmesan on top next time I make it! That sounds heavenly!
  154. CAROL CARVERAPRIL 11, 2017 @ 3:40 PM REPLY
    very tasty !! love it

155. MAUDIEBELLAPRIL 22, 2017 @ 4:15 PM REPLY
    I made this and really liked it. I cut the olive oil to 1 Tablespoon and used 3 T Country Crock in place of the 1/4 cup salted butter. I used packaged shredded cabbage to save time and effort. I also subbed fettuccine for the egg noodles because I had that on hand. Very good. It makes so much. I plugged the ingredients I used into my fitness pal and came up with 451 calories assuming this is 6 servings. It seems like it might be more like 8 servings though. I will be making this again. If you had a big family, it would fit the bill. In my case I had leftovers.
    • SPEND WITH PENNIES SLAPRIL 23, 2017 @ 6:25 AM REPLY
      I am so glad you were able to make this work with ingredients you prefer! This is one tasty way to feed a hungry family on a budget!
  156. ELAINEAPRIL 23, 2017 @ 9:16 AM REPLY
    This cabbage and sausage dish is quick and loaded with flavor!
    Thank you!

157. ERICAPRIL 25, 2017 @ 9:22 AM REPLY
    these look good

158. DARLENEAPRIL 25, 2017 @ 3:50 PM REPLY
    OMG! Just finished 2 servings of this, delish. Only thing I changed was not adding the peas or the second tablespoon of olive oil, turned out great. Also-I might not have cut the cabbage small enough-so I put a lid on top of my pan to speed things up. Thanks for the wonderful recipe.

159. DEBAPRIL 25, 2017 @ 7:19 PM REPLY
    Do you have a calorie count for this recipe?
  160. SCOTTEAPRIL 29, 2017 @ 6:49 PM REPLY
    My polish step grandmother made this when I was in grade school. She smoked her homemade smoked sausages.
    I make this today. I simmer the smoked sausage in 2 cups of water for 20 min. It flavors the water. Take the water out and save it. Fry the sausage to brown in 2 tablespoons of oil. Add onion and fry to brown. Cook the noodles with a half cup of the simmering liquid to flavor them No extra salt needed. Add the cabbage to the sausage and add 1/2 cup of the flavored water. Cooked covered until tender crisp. Stir in drained noodles.
    I have added peas, left over broccoli, left over dilled carrots and shredded cooked brussel sprouts.
    For my gluten intolerant friends I used rice noodles.

161. PHYLLISMAY 2, 2017 @ 12:39 PM REPLY
    Yummy
  162. BARBARA KNOBLAUCHMAY 8, 2017 @ 4:11 PM REPLY
    I would love these recipes can you send them to me. Thank You

163. DEANAJUNE 11, 2017 @ 8:23 AM REPLY
    Love all your recipes

164. MARLENEJUNE 14, 2017 @ 7:59 PM REPLY

EXCELLENT!

165. REBECCAJUNE 19, 2017 @ 3:29 PM REPLY
    Cooking this now for dinner.. My 7 year old saw the recipe on line while i was looking and begged me to make it..

166. ROBERTA SHOEMAKERJULY 17, 2017 @ 4:23 PM REPLY

My husband loves this recipe.

167. SANKEIJULY 19, 2017 @ 4:46 PM REPLY

This was delicious. I will definetly make it again. I put about a cup of petite frozen peas. Both my husband and I agreed that we will add a little whie winw the next time.

168. CLAUDIA STANAFORDJULY 20, 2017 @ 12:17 AM REPLY

This was a simple, fast and tasty meal. Keep them coming.

169. LYNN/LINDAJULY 21, 2017 @ 6:48 PM REPLY

I made this tonight. My husband and I really enjoyed it.

170. TRACEYAUGUST 1, 2017 @ 3:07 PM REPLY

I just made it and it was great.

171. MIRIAM Z RODRIGUEZAUGUST 2, 2017 @ 2:21 PM REPLY
    I would add 1/2 tsp cumin,
    1/2 tsp. Oregano
    1/2 tsp. Cayenne
    I think it would give it a kick and be amazing.

172. CATHERINE BRADFORDAUGUST 4, 2017 @ 9:22 AM REPLY

Made the cabbage and noodles last night (added cream of chicken soup) and it was awesome! Thank you!

173. VALERIE VINCENTAUGUST 5, 2017 @ 2:16 PM REPLY

This is such a yummy, comfy kind of food! Only thing different I did was to double it…I am a believer if you change a recipe then its a different recipe. I can’t wait to try more of your recipes!!

174. IRISAUGUST 6, 2017 @ 12:00 PM REPLY

Very simple to make and delicious!

175. DEBRA PALMERAUGUST 6, 2017 @ 6:13 PM REPLY

This was a great dish! I haven’t done a lot of cooking with cabbage and so pleasantly surprised how this turned out. I used a little less fats as I did use a good polish sausage but other than that, I didn’t change a thing. Thank you for the recipe.

176. KIMBERLY G.AUGUST 7, 2017 @ 2:40 PM REPLY

Absolutely LOVED this recipe….thank you❤️❤️

177. TINAAUGUST 10, 2017 @ 10:26 AM REPLY

Can this be made in a crock pot?

178. PATAUGUST 11, 2017 @ 7:20 PM REPLY

I made it and my family loved it……going to make it again tomorrow night……been craving it for a week…..

179. TANYAAUGUST 22, 2017 @ 4:27 PM REPLY
    mmmm delicious!!! it was a hit for supper :)

180. CALLIEAUGUST 28, 2017 @ 8:04 PM REPLY

really flavorful and filling!

181. LISAAUGUST 30, 2017 @ 9:29 AM REPLY
    Can u use a different vegetable besides peas I’m not a peaceful person can u use green beans?
  182. ALICE SATTERFIELDAUGUST 31, 2017 @ 1:51 PM REPLY
    I am going to make it, got to get the Cabbage first..I love Cabbage!
  183. PATTI KELYMANSEPTEMBER 2, 2017 @ 12:00 PM REPLY

I use crisped bacon (and a little grease) and more garlic with this recipe. Comfort food!

184. KAY FOWLERSEPTEMBER 3, 2017 @ 3:59 AM REPLY
    Yes it was but what sort of sausage was it please x

185. LIZSEPTEMBER 3, 2017 @ 9:58 AM REPLY

Bought a cabbage on sale at the store, but didn’t know what to do with it. Came across this recipe, and luckily had everything already except the onion on hand. It was tasty! The butter and olive oil gave it an extra richness. Overall, using a full head of cabbage gave us plenty of leftovers, and this dish was kid and spouse approved! Thanks for the recipe!

186. JUDIE SMITHSEPTEMBER 4, 2017 @ 12:19 PM REPLY
    So many suggestions for this recipe, I have made it for years and use carrots instead of peas, can’t wait to try the different ways. This was always served with corn bread. I always enjoy reading the different ways to prepare a recipe.

187. LAURASEPTEMBER 8, 2017 @ 10:15 AM REPLY

This recipe is fantastic! My husband is not a fan of leftovers, but he ate every bit of this one the next day. Love it!

188. LINDA ALEXANDERSEPTEMBER 13, 2017 @ 7:19 PM REPLY
    I did make this, and it was a big hit. I will definitely make it again. I stuck to the recipe as it is written, and wouldn’t change a thing.
  189. KATYSEPTEMBER 13, 2017 @ 8:43 PM REPLY
    This looks delicious! What would you suggest as side dishes , veggies for instance, to make this a full meal? Thanks!
  190. LINDA BERGGRENOCTOBER 4, 2017 @ 12:08 PM REPLY

So good and easy to make. Making today! My second time.

191. LAURIEOCTOBER 4, 2017 @ 8:52 PM REPLY
    Loved it! It was very easy to make and the ingredients are simple. Great weeknight dinner! Thank you!

192. CECELIAOCTOBER 18, 2017 @ 12:36 PM REPLY

I made this and love it I will be making it often

193. GARCIAOCTOBER 18, 2017 @ 5:12 PM REPLY
    Yes was very good. Would like to have had a little mote noodles & more beef . The more beef is my husband’s request but all & all very good!!#

194. JANETOCTOBER 21, 2017 @ 12:38 PM REPLY
    We loved it! I used half of the amount of butter and oil in a nonstick pan. I also only used a few noodles since we are trying to watch our. carbs. I used the Kabasa with cheddar because that’s what I had on hand. I think some sliced thin apples would be good in it too.

195. BARBARAOCTOBER 22, 2017 @ 12:00 PM REPLY
    Made it and loved it. Will definitely make it again and again.

196. BILL MNOVEMBER 5, 2017 @ 5:11 PM REPLY
    DELICIOUS! I switched out the kielbasa with some left over ham.
  197. BJ HENRYNOVEMBER 6, 2017 @ 1:48 PM REPLY
    Yes ! I have made this cabbage & noodle recipe three times and my family loves it!! Sooo good!

198. MELISSANOVEMBER 11, 2017 @ 5:59 AM REPLY
    I just came across this recipe on pinterest and it looks delicious! My husband doesn’t like cabbage do you think the recipe would work with thinly sliced brussel sprouts?

I was also thinking I’d omit the onion (we have food allergies in the house) and add extra garlic and some shredded raw radishes before serving. Would this change the recipe too much or would it still be OK? Does anyone have any experience with leaving out cabbage and onions since they are 2 main ingredients of the dish?
    • SPEND WITH PENNIES SLNOVEMBER 14, 2017 @ 7:24 PM REPLY
      Hi Melissa,
      I have not tried it with brussels sprouts, but I think that would be a yummy spin on this recipe!
      I often change things up in recipes to suit my preferences and moods, so I think your ideas would be a great in this recipe.
  199. JAMES MORRISSEYNOVEMBER 14, 2017 @ 1:14 PM REPLY
    I’ve made this recipe 3 or 4 times and making it again tonight. It is awsome..
  200. BRITTANYNOVEMBER 16, 2017 @ 4:35 AM REPLY
    The halusky I grew up on made by my grandpapa was egg noodles with butter and cream cheese…. This would definitely be a different twist I may have to try. But still with the cream cheese.
  201. DIANNE LAWLERNOVEMBER 16, 2017 @ 3:33 PM REPLY
    I tried this recipe several times now and it is delicious. Usually just leave out butter because is a bit greasy along with sausage. Didn’t effect the taste at all. Yummmy!
  202. PATNOVEMBER 17, 2017 @ 12:16 PM REPLY
    My husband loved this and when my daughter and granddaughter stopped by they finished it off to rave reviews
  203. ROBIN HAGAMANNOVEMBER 19, 2017 @ 5:32 AM REPLY
    My mom and grandma have been making this recipe for many years, except they use bacon instead of the polish sausage. I made this recipe just the way you say to, and I have to tell you, it NEEDS BACON. Hehe! So I am going to make it again, just like how to say to, except I am going to add bacon as well. It adds so much great flavor. You should try it <3 XO!
  204. LYDIA TAMEZDECEMBER 7, 2017 @ 10:40 AM REPLY
    This is just so easy & awesome if you love cabbage!!

205. CHARLOTTE GARDNERDECEMBER 7, 2017 @ 12:24 PM REPLY

My family loves this dish. I am planning on fixing this for supper this evening. Thank you for posting it.

206. CHARLOTTE GARDNERDECEMBER 7, 2017 @ 12:25 PM REPLY

My family loves this dish. I am planning on making this for supper this evening. Thanks for it.

207. JANDECEMBER 11, 2017 @ 2:59 PM REPLY

Very good and easy

208. NANCY MARTINEZDECEMBER 13, 2017 @ 12:52 AM REPLY

Simple easy and marvelous! My family loved it. I couldn’t eat enough! (As well as my husband) Thank you.

209. STANDECEMBER 13, 2017 @ 4:27 PM REPLY

Great recipe. Making it tonight.

210. CONSTANCE M MCMILLANDECEMBER 14, 2017 @ 4:11 PM REPLY

It was awesome

211. LESLIEDECEMBER 21, 2017 @ 6:42 AM REPLY

Definitely going into my family recipe book. I doubled the kielbasa and noodles; I was generous with the garlic and pepper. Easy for a novice; great dish for a large group.

212. SARA BEANEJANUARY 5, 2018 @ 6:00 PM REPLY
    Just made this for dinner and really liked it. I left out the peas, used half an onion and used one package of coleslaw mix to make it easier. I am thinking you could probably cut either the oil or butter in half.
  213. STACEY POWELLJANUARY 5, 2018 @ 7:40 PM REPLY
    This is terrific. I added 2 strips of bacon and sautéed mushrooms, garlic and onions. I used sesame oil instead of olive oil. Very versatile recipe.

214. TROYE NEWCOMBJANUARY 6, 2018 @ 5:51 PM REPLY

Just made this tonight-only I used 2 cups of uncooked egg noodles and instead of kielbasa, I used part of a turkey ham loaf (totally processed turkey made to look and sort of taste like ham-not what I usually keep in the house but I was looking to use it up) I found I needed to double the butter and I always add garlic to recipes (we love garlic and in the winter I like to go heavy on onions and garlic for their health benefits) I appreciated that you made a big deal of adding salt and pepper…it really made a difference. The family loved it and I definitely foresee making it again with turkey or beef kielbasa and/or turkey bacon after reading the other comments. Thanks so much for sharing your recipes!

• SPEND WITH PENNIES SLJANUARY 10, 2018 @ 10:12 AM REPLY
      I am so glad you were able to adapt this recipe with what you had on hand! I too love onions and garlic, especially in the winter!
  215. PATTY REEDJANUARY 7, 2018 @ 2:30 PM REPLY

I made this for dinner and replaced peas for corn since I had no peas. Loved it!

216. L SOLISJANUARY 7, 2018 @ 2:48 PM REPLY

IT WAS A HIT! It was SO yummy! My hubby had 2 servings and said he over stuffed himself, because it was so good. My adult son finished what was left.

217. RLDJANUARY 10, 2018 @ 10:33 AM REPLY
    Love this recipe. We prepared it on 1/9/2018–absolutely delicious!! I boiled the noodles in chicken broth-very flavorful.

218. KATHERINE ANDERSONJANUARY 12, 2018 @ 2:41 PM REPLY

Made it for me, hubby and his brother almost ate the skillet

219. SHEREEJANUARY 15, 2018 @ 3:55 PM REPLY

Made the cabbage and noodles with polish sausage. This was wonderful. Hubby had 3 helpings which is a compliment! So good I’m making it again this week!

220. SCOTT FIGGINSJANUARY 16, 2018 @ 6:22 PM REPLY

I made this for the 2nd time. I posted it to facebook here… I twisted things up a little but stuck pretty close to the original. Added in some flavors with some seasoning and using a bag of frozen peas with garlic sauce and mushrooms.

Thanks for the recipe!!

221. TANYAJANUARY 20, 2018 @ 8:06 AM REPLY

We all loved this recipe. Will be making again.

222. LORETTA BRYANTJANUARY 20, 2018 @ 5:05 PM REPLY

Delicious. Loved the recipe. Will be making again!

223. MARTHAJANUARY 21, 2018 @ 4:51 PM REPLY

My husband and I loved this. Also made it with ham. Delicious

224. DEB WILLMSJANUARY 23, 2018 @ 4:04 PM REPLY

Have made this three times now and everyone loves it. Even the grandkids and they are picky eaters.

225. SHIRLEYJANUARY 28, 2018 @ 1:24 PM REPLY

I’m eating this now & it’s delicious. I’ll definitely be making this again!!!

226. AMANDA COGGESHALLJANUARY 31, 2018 @ 6:06 AM REPLY

My whole family loved this – it is an easy recipe to make for a week night. We will definitely make it again.

227. DEB CHAMPAGNEFEBRUARY 2, 2018 @ 7:35 PM REPLY

Awesome.

228. LINDAFEBRUARY 12, 2018 @ 5:43 PM REPLY

I made this in my new Instant Pot and it was delicious! I forgot about adding peas, but probably would add next time. Used beef boullion in the water and sprinkled in a few caraway seeds.

229. JAIMEEFEBRUARY 15, 2018 @ 7:13 AM REPLY

Got stuck in a rut & needed new menu items! Since everyone in the family likes cabbage decided to give your recipe a try – it’s a hit!!!! I use white pepper because the children think they don’t like pepper & it blends in. Also substituted corn for peas as someone else suggested as our family is not a fan of peas. Next up I’m going to try your cabbage rolls! Thank you for sharing your recipes! They are a blessing!!!

230. JOFEBRUARY 17, 2018 @ 4:46 PM REPLY

Great recipe! I have made this several times and it’s a hit each time. My girls and husband ask for this dish always. Definitely a keeper! Thanks Holly!

231. CONNIE BLAKEFEBRUARY 20, 2018 @ 11:29 PM REPLY
    Absolutely delicious, such a hit that I made it twice in one week. Very flavorful and easy dish to complete. Just writing this makes me hungry!

232. ARMARCH 3, 2018 @ 8:18 AM REPLY

I made this last night and it was delicious. My 16 month old ate it too!

233. AUDREYMARCH 4, 2018 @ 5:18 PM REPLY
    Very easy and very delish !! I love garlic so i added 3 cloves of garlic. Will be making this again !

234. LORRAINE SCARBOROUGHMARCH 7, 2018 @ 5:44 PM REPLY

This is one of the best recipes I have ever made!

235. DONNA FANNINGMARCH 8, 2018 @ 2:10 PM REPLY

This is so good and so easy. Perfect for a blustery day when you want something substantial but easy. I prep everything so it’s on the counter in the order it goes in, makes an easy recipe even easier. This was a winner for all of us.

236. BONNIE EVANSMARCH 11, 2018 @ 6:48 AM REPLY

This was FANTASTIC. Made it last night and it is GONE. Everyone loved it. It has been requested to be made again this week. Looking forward to it. This will be made often. Thanks for the recipe.

237. JACK SHIPWAYMARCH 12, 2018 @ 6:26 PM REPLY

This was great.

238. JOHN MRUKMARCH 13, 2018 @ 12:18 PM REPLY

Just finished making it. Easy and delicious.

239. NINAMARCH 18, 2018 @ 12:35 PM REPLY
    I love this dish! I add some chicken broth to make it more like a soup. We love it!
  240. ERICAAPRIL 4, 2018 @ 7:45 PM REPLY

I pretty much know this recipe in my head because I’ve made this meal so many times now . I figured it’s time I leave a review since it’s the favorite dinner in my home . We love it and the friends I’ve made it fir do too

241. KIM COLLINSAPRIL 9, 2018 @ 4:10 PM REPLY

This dish is wonderful. I’ve also used ham in it when I have some left over. I don’t use olive oil. I fry it in bacon grease. Great recipe. Thank you!

242. SUE ZOEHRERAPRIL 10, 2018 @ 10:31 AM REPLY

I did but used smaller onion and had peas and carrots to it

LEAVE A REPLY
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comment

Rate this recipe:

HI THERE!I’M HOLLY!
I am a wine and cheese lover, recipe creator, shopping enthusiast and self appointed foodie. My greatest passion is creating in the kitchen and making deliciously comforting recipes!

MORE ABOUT ME »

HOW TO MAKE CABBAGE AND NOODLES
PIN IT
PIN NOW TO SAVE IT FOR LATER!

Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!

When I was a kid, I loved veggies and now that I’m older, I love them even more. Right near the top of my list is cabbage!

Not only does it taste great either raw or cooked, it’s so good for you! Typically we use it in cabbage rolls or cabbage roll soup but of course it’s great in a nice crunchy coleslawtoo!
Cabbage-and-Noodles-with-Sausage-26.jpg

Cabbage and Noodles (aka Haluskie) is an old Polish dish and it’s one of my favorites! Different areas have slightly different versions, Slovak Halusky is more of a potato dumpling while other areas enjoy it as cabbage and noodles.

Regardless of what you call this dish, it’s the perfect way to enjoy the sweet flavors of cabbage and a great way to get a meal on the table on a busy weeknight!

Cabbage-and-Noodles-with-Sausage-29.jpg

Don’t let the simplicity of this recipe deter you from giving it a try, ingredients don’t have to be fancy to taste amazing!

When seasoning this dish, be generous with the salt & pepper, it makes this extra good! I typically use egg noodles in this dish, I love the light fluffy texture and you can use any type of sausage. If you don’t like sausage, feel free to crisp up some bacon (and sub in some of the bacon grease in place of the butter) or skip the meat altogether.

Cabbage and Noodles
Cabbage and Noodles recipe is quick and easy with tender sweet cabbage, egg noodles and browned sausage tossed in butter, salt & pepper. This Polish recipe is also known as Haluski and once you try it, it'll become a staple in your meal rotation!

Cabbage-and-Noodles-with-Sausage-29-300x300.jpg
YIELD: 4-6 SERVINGS

TOTAL TIME: 40 MINUTES

PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES

COOK TIME: 30 MINUTES

CABBAGE AND NOODLES

Tender sweet cabbage, fluffy egg noodles and deliciously browned sausage are tossed with butter, salt & pepper. A perfectly comforting meal that your whole family will love!

PRINT RECIPE
5 / 5 (54 Reviews)
Did you make this recipe?
LEAVE A REVIEW »
INGREDIENTS:
  • 12 oz kielbasa or sausage , sliced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil , divided
  • 1/4 cup salted butter
  • 1 large onion , diced
  • 1/2 head cabbage , chopped (approx. 6-7 cups)
  • 1 clove garlic , minced
  • 2/3 cup frozen peas
  • 8 oz uncooked egg noodles
  • salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Cook noodles according to package directions, drain and set aside.
  2. In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cook sausage until lightly browned.
  3. Add remaining olive oil, butter and onion. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
  4. Add cabbage and garlic. Cook until tender (10-15 minutes). Stir in peas, noodles and salt & pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
NUTRITION INFORMATION

Yield: 4-6 servings, Serving Size:

• Amount Per Serving:
  • Calories: 415 Calories
(Nutriton information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)