Buying a New Washer and Dryer set. What should I be looking for?

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My washer and Dryer went out. I had the old school units. As for Price I am willing to pay as much as 1200 per unit if need be but I would love cheaper alternatives.

What should I look for when purchasing a Washer/Dryer combo? I am not really up on the tech for Washers and Dryers

Ninja05

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I had the same issue this summer. Old whirlpool went out. I started with Consumer Reports, consumer research and warehouse store websites (e.g Home Depot and Lowe’s customer ratings). I sorted for 4.5 and 5 star ratings. I needed a steam dryer/washer and a freshhold option that allowed the washer to continue to tumble/dry after the cycle ended to reduce mildew and keep clothes fresh. Ended up with the Maytag 5500 washer and dryer. Bought it during the Amazon day sales at Lowe’s. It was about 45% off ($675 a piece). I just couldn’t trust Samsung or Electrolux and for some reason kept hearing bad things about LG customer service. Whirlpool/Maytag are owned by the same company.

They still have good sales st Lowe’s until 7/25. Hope that helps mayne.

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Modern day washers and dryers ain’t shit :smh:

Cost a small fortune, and WILL(by design)break down on you waaaay sooner than later.

I've heard that the new washers and dryers dont last like the old one..If you can find a good old dryer, those things can last 20 years if you keep the lint trap and your dryer vent clean. Gotta make sure you have good airflow when it comes to dryers...

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I had the same issue this summer. Old whirlpool went out. I started with Consumer Reports, consumer research and warehouse store websites (e.g Home Depot and Lowe’s customer ratings). I sorted for 4.5 and 5 star ratings. I needed a steam dryer/washer and a freshhold option that allowed the washer to continue to tumble/dry after the cycle ended to reduce mildew and keep clothes fresh. Ended up with the Maytag 5500 washer and dryer. Bought it during the Amazon day sales at Lowe’s. It was about 45% off ($675 a piece). I just couldn’t trust Samsung or Electrolux and for some reason kept hearing bad things about LG customer service. Whirlpool/Maytag are owned by the same company.

They still have good sales st Lowe’s until 7/25. Hope that helps mayne.
Cool, cause reading all the different types of washing machine features had my head spinning

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Definitely read up on the reports & reviews just to have additional peace of mind. The most frustrating thing with appliance purchases (same with tech' items) is how much reviews can vary for people. Some people will swear by brands and products ... and others will have absolute horror stories. Went to a friend's housewarming party last night and they just moved into a new 3-bed, 3-bath townhome ... after living 11 years in a 1-bed, 1-bath apartment. They've been married 5 years. One of the perks of the townhome is that it came fully furnished ... cool to get a tour of the place and see what brands of appliances & tech' were included. That fridge was the truth!

Last edited:

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered
Measure measure measure those Samsung snd lg ones with the huge tubs are awkwardly shape so they may not fit through most openings. Ask about open box units you can catch a good deal on open box shit that couldn’t fit into the customers space and it had to be returned

Ninja05

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Measure measure measure those Samsung snd lg ones with the huge tubs are awkwardly shape so they may not fit through most openings. Ask about open box units you can catch a good deal on open box shit that couldn’t fit into the customers space and it had to be returned

Yeah! Best Buy was the only one I found that would provided an extended warranty on an open box item. There deals are actually hella good. Just missed out on my washer/dryer for $575.

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered
Yeah! Best Buy was the only one I found that would provided an extended warranty on an open box item. There deals are actually hella good. Just missed out on my washer/dryer for $575.
I picked up a 1800 dollar top of the line washer that thing had everything you could imagine including an app to do the laundry. Picked it up from HH Gregg 900 bucks out the door including a 200 rebate gift card

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
So you’re homework at home most stores price match so save your time and gas and got to on store and get what you want

Agreed. Good to see many stores price-matching and ad-matching their competitors now. Good way to save time and money on appliances, groceries, etc. Just check the flyers and websites ahead of time.

clitsational

Rising Star
Platinum Member
find a used appliance place near u

u should never pay more than $300 for the set

and as most have already said the new shit is garbage

:cool:

Ninja05

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Agreed. Good to see many stores price-matching and ad-matching their competitors now. Good way to save time and money on appliances, groceries, etc. Just check the flyers and websites ahead of time.

Only caveat. Lowe’s and others may have a special for MyLowe’s members (extra 10% off). Home Depot refused to PriceMatch that.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Only caveat. Lowe’s and others may have a special for MyLowe’s members (extra 10% off). Home Depot refused to PriceMatch that.

True. Some of the store programs & customer loyalty programs and savings make it trickier with price-matching.

One thing I've been doing in recent years is stopping by for some of the Boxing Day sales (Dec. 26th). If I've got giftcards for certain places ... but their prices are higher ... I'll check to see if their competitors are having the sales ... find the savings ... get them to match, and then put the giftcards down. It has worked pretty well with Staples, Best Buy, SportChek, and The Source.

Tha Baldavenger

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Don't get a Samsung dryer..shit broke 6 times, and I went to Sears and got a Kenmore. Keores are made by Maytag , GE, or Frigidaire, depending on the year and model.

Bedroom Bully

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Do not buy the modern, fancy digital washer and dryer. They will die within 5-6 years. My washer and dryer died within 6 months of each other after 5 years. Both repairmen told me that the old school machines will last much longer.

dasailr03

A Goddamn Sailor!
BGOL Investor
don't listen to none of this bullshit people on here. You can only buy modern day electronics because you can't buy a new washer and dryer made 10yrs ago!! With that said, buy whatever works for your $$$ and get the features you need. get a warranty!!! when and if your machines break down use the warranty service on it and keep it moving. As far as usage.. do you really want a device that is over a certain age? The benefit of buying today technology is that its designed for today and tomorrow. I would not want something that was brought 10yrs ago because its 10yrs technology. Think about it? do you wears clothes you brought 1oyrs ago? drive the same care form 10yrs ago? have the same phone from 10yrs ago? No because you want the latest and greatest of what technology has to offer. With that said.. go get your a washer and driver, GET A LONG ASS WARRANTY and keep it moving player

dasailr03

A Goddamn Sailor!
BGOL Investor
Do not buy the modern, fancy digital washer and dryer. They will die within 5-6 years. My washer and dryer died within 6 months of each other after 5 years. Both repairmen told me that the old school machines will last much longer.

And how did this advice help you or change anything about your situation? give more context. Did you buy an extended warranty? If so where and how long was the period? How long would you want a washer and dryer to last for since they are comprised of both electrical and physical parts? 5yrs seems a like a nice investment on a washer and dryer. Mines is older than that, works great but i'm going to buy a new set? why because I want the benefit of modern technology instead of old technology. Yes i'll spend money to save money... 5yrs is more than enough time before it's time to upgrade.