Brothas that cook

yourreplacement

Rising Star
OG Investor
Here's a few of my own recipes that I get mad compliments on when I do them....... Cooking is a passion mine.....

New Orleans Style Gumbo

Ingredients:
• ½ Cup Vegetable Oil
• ½ Cup All-purpose Flour
• 1 large Onion, diced
• ½ Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
• ½ Cup Chopped Celery
• ½ Cup Chopped Green Bell Pepper
• ½ Cup Chopped Red Bell Pepper
• ½ Cup Sliced Scallion
• 6 cloves Minced Garlic
• 4 cups Chicken Broth
• 1 Tsp. Salt
• 1 Tsp. Creole Seasoning (Tony Chachere's)
• 2 lbs. Combo of Sausage or Shrimp or Chicken
• ½ lb. Blue Crabs (optional)
• 1 Pkg. Chicken Gizzards (optional)

Directions:
In a large stockpot combine oil and flour and cook over medium-high heat about 15 minutes or until it turns very dark brown, almost between brown and black. You will have to stir it almost constantly. This is what we call a Roux in New Orleans.
Add onions, parsley, celery, bell peppers, scallions and garlic and cook about 10 more minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring regularly.
Add onions, parsley, celery, bell peppers, scallions and garlic and cook about 10 more minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring regularly. You may also at this time add a 10 oz pkg. of frozen okra.
Cover pot and simmer 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
Add your chosen combination of meat at this point and simmer an additional 30 minutes (If using blue crabs, cook a little longer to ensure they're cooked all the way.).
Ladle over steamed white rice.
1:20 Cook Time. 20 minutes prep time. Serves 8

New Orleans Style Jambalaya
Serves 6
1:30 Cook Time 20 Minutes Prep.

Ingredients:
• 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
• 1 1/2 Cups Chopped Onions
• 1/2 Cup Chopped Green Bell Pepper
• 1/2 Cup Chopped Celery
• 1/2 lb. Medium Shrimp, Peeled & Deveined
• 4 Bay Leaves
• 1/2 lb. Smoked Sausage, sliced
• 1 (14 1/2 ounce) Can Chopped Tomatoes
• 1 Tbsp. Chopped Garlic
• 1 Tsp. Salt
• 1/2 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper
• 1/4 Tsp. Black Pepper
• 1/4 Tsp. Dried Thyme
• 1 cup Long-Grain White Rice
• 1/4 Cup Barbecue Sauce
• 1/4 Cup Chopped Green Onion
• 1 Pkg. Chopped Ham Seasoning

Directions:
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add onion, bell pepper and celery and saute for 7 to 8 minutes.
Add the shrimp and bay leaves and cook until the shrimp turn pink, about 2 minutes.
Add the sausage and ham, cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add tomatoes (with juice), garlic, salt, cayenne, pepper and thyme. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring often.
Add the rice and stir to mix.
Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes, or until the rice is done and liquid is absorbed.
Stir in barbecue sauce. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in green onions.

New Orleans Style Bread Pudding

Ingredients needed:

10 ounces loaf stale French Bread, crumbled. (Or 6 - 8 Cups of any type of bread, crumbled, fresh or stale. If fresh bread is used, reduce milk to 3 cups.)
2 Cups Sugar (Granulated)
½ Cup Unsalted Butter (Melted)
3 Eggs
2 Tbsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Raisins
1 Cup Chopped Pecans
1 Tsp. Cinnamon
1 Tsp. Nutmeg
4 Cups Milk

Butter a 9 by 13 inch baking pan. Set oven rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all ingredients. Mixture should be very moist but not soupy. Pour into the buttered dish and bake 1 hour and 15 minutes until top is golden brown.

For a Whiskey Sauce you will need:

½ Cup Unsalted Butter
1 ½ Cups Powdered Sugar
2 Egg Yolks
½ Cup Bourbon

Using a hand held mixer, cream butter and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, beating until all butter is absorbed. Remove from heat and blend in yolks. Pour in bourbon gradually, stirring constantly. Sauce will thicken as it cools. Serve warm on warm bread pudding.

AtlSportsFan

Star
Registered
I made a sweet potato cake once and what I did was puree some sweet potato and added to the flour mixture..

I tried doing that with pinapple, but it came out soggy...

I think I should have baked it for a while then poured the pinaaple juice and poked holes...like a pineapple upside down or something...

I'd take a peak at that recipe too ATL Fan...

Both of you guys gimme a day or so to get that recipe, I have to go thru some junk and find it, and I'm doing some Hardware changes to my "rig" so I'll be on and offline for the next day or so.

When you tried to do that Recipe with Pineapple, you should have let the Pineapple drain in a "fine Collander" suspended over a large mixing bowl overnight in the Fridge for at least 24 hrs. to let gravity drain all the Liquid out of the pineapple, even if you try and squeeze the pineapple out it will still contain too much liquid to BAKE with.

I almost always drain my pineapple for at least 24 hrs before I try to BAKE with it.

xselent

Star
Registered
Thanx Guys

I Actually Dont Have Any Recipes

I Cook But What I Do Is Think About What I Want To Make And Start Throwing Stuff Together

It Comes Out Good

But I Think Maybe If I Used A Forumla It Would Be Better

How Did U Guys Learn How To Cook...its Too Late For Me To Learn From My Mother

yourreplacement

Rising Star
OG Investor
Thanx Guys

I Cook But What I Do Is Think About What I Want To Make And Start Throwing Stuff Together

It Comes Out Good

My dad taught me, along with my great grandmother. started when I was about 9 yrs old

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
Thanx Guys

It Comes Out Good

My mom taught me when I was in the 3rd grade. I'll never forget it. she said, "I'm teaching you how to cook. You might grow and be single or marry a trifling woman.". I made my first red velvet cake in the 7th grade. My pops taught me about grilling and cooking on top of the stove.

TOPSHOTTA

Support BGOL
Registered
[FLASH]http://www.youtube.com/v/T-fv48UgdQA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash[/FLASH]
[FLASH]http://www.youtube.com/v/khxOiIN_6Ng&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash[/FLASH]
[FLASH]http://www.youtube.com/v/whHyhPBj0j8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash[/FLASH]
[FLASH]http://www.youtube.com/v/1IvlMDUSHYo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash[/FLASH]
[FLASH]http://www.youtube.com/v/Q64InPVlCA8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash[/FLASH]​

CO-SIGN

onyxmodels

Rising Star
BGOL Gold Member
I like to grill a Salmon on a plank, lemon pepper, butter, rosemary, with a pinch of garlic.

If it's on da grill I can make it work.

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Been cooking since I was a kid.
My Moms nearly beat my ASS in the late 60s because I nearly burned the apartment cooking bacon.:lol::lol::lol:

Needless to say, the cooking addiction started from there.

Anything dealing with Rice, Poultry and Seafood are my favorites.

And a big kitchen and top-of-the-line cookware was a MUST with me.
Plus a woman who also cooks is an additional plus.

I used to roll with this Jewish/Mexican chick when I lived out West in the 90s. She was well-traveled. So we would cook all sorts of foreign dishes. Almost every week was a party having folks over. We didn't play when it came to cooking.

Same thing with this Italian Lesbian I used to hang with. She would bake somethings fierce. And I would cook the main dishes. Learn a lot from her too. I had large apartments/townhouses when I lived in Oregon during the 90s. So I'd have people over all the time.

Learned to cook Salmon the RIGHT way from this other chick I was with for a few years too. Also learned to fish for it. And since her family were "sportsmen", I leaned to cook/eat venison.

When I moved back to NYC, I had to sell/give away all my cookware. I had over a 1k worth of shit. I'm talking Analon, Circulon, top Cast Iron, Henkels knives, the works.

I still do cook. Lots of Rice and Poultry dishes.
But my current situation doesn't permit me to go all out like I used to.

mofo112

Star
Registered
Fam check it.. I like Salmon and Risotto with a Wilted Chard... Or lamb with curried potatoes... Girls drop draws fast.

DragonXJC

I joke and I know things
BGOL Investor
Sancocho (Dominican Stew)

I've never met anyone that can turn this down, it'll make a vegetarian think twice. :yes:

Sancocho.jpg

I'ma come back to this thread with pics of my daily dinner. I love cooking everyday. I like knowing what goes into my body. I have to prepare for the women of tomorrow (who can't cook for shit!).

Peace

SamSneed

Disciple of Zod
BGOL Investor
Fried Yuca
low_yuca.jpg

Arroz con Gandules
2059301393_8e96eaebe4.jpg

Fried Plantain with honey
platanosfritos6.jpg

Baked Red Snapper
2816774458_2db681d906.jpg

its a cuban dish
i learned to cook from my mom

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I made one last night at work around 9pm. I don't recall the EXACT recipe off-hand ... but basically you do the following:

It's UNHEALTHY as hell, but tastes great - :lol:

Google up the recipe ... I do mine in a cake baking dish (with the hole in the middle). Comes out great. Looks like a cool-ass DONUT :lol:
Nigga, you gonna post the dam recipe or not??

nu_work

Rising Star
Registered
One of my fave pasta dishes I cook once in while :D

Mezze Penne Pasta
Pignolin
Green Pesto
Boneless Chicken Breast
Sharp Cheddar Cheese (I prefer the white cheese, choice is yours)
Black Pepper
Salt
Olive Oil
Vegetables (optional)

Boil pasta until cooked, and place it into a bowl with cool ice water to cool off.

Clean Chicken Breast throughly w/ limes & vinegar and pat dry.
On both sides place a dash of Olive Oil w/ tbsp of Black pepper, Adoba from Goya and a tsp of Lowry's seasoning. Coat the chicken well and let it sit in it's juices for about 15 to 20 minutes, then place the chicken on a hot skillet until well cooked on both sides. Afterwards cut the chicken into cube pieces.

Take a separate frying pan and put some Olive oil into the pan and place the pignolins until they are golden brown. Usually takes 2 to 3 minutes.

Make sure to cut up the Sharp cheddar cheese into small cubes.

And now for the grand finale....

Take the pasta and drain out the excess water.
Place the following into a bowl and mix together;
Pignolin (Let it cool off), Grilled Chicken, Green Pesto & Pasta let all that heat up in another pot with some Olive Oil, mix it all up and remove from the stove and let it sit for atleast 30 minutes or do like I do just put it in the fridge, after that's done throw on your Sharp Cheddar cheese mix that with some salt & pepper and yall good to go.

I've had Women eating off the palm of my hand literallllly lol off this dish. Can't go wrong and easy to make.

:dance:

Izayoi

Scooty Puff Pilot
BGOL Investor
maruchannoodlesoup.jpg
:rolleyes:

Anyway, I made a really good vegan meatloaf. But people like my vegan chili.

:lol: Rollie are you using lentils or chickpeas as the base or being more adventurous with the brown rice/ground walnuts/vegetable route? I've done the faux meatloaf before with lentils, but not a big fan of lentils in general.

kidmegaii

Medium well
BGOL Investor
Shrimp Etouffee
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups chopped onions
2 cups chopped green bell peppers
2 cups chopped celery
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons Essence, recipe follows
1 quart shrimp stock
3 pounds medium shrimp (21 to 25 count per pound), peeled and deveined
1/4 cup chopped parsley leaves
Steamed white rice, for serving
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion tops, for garnish
Directions

Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven set over medium heat. Add the flour and stir continuously to make a roux. Stir the roux over medium heat until the color of peanut butter, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the onions, bell peppers, celery, and garlic to the roux, and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes to the pot and season with the bay leaves, salt, cayenne, and 1 tablespoon of the Essence. Cook the tomatoes for 2 to 3 minutes and then whisk in the shrimp stock.

Bring the mixture to a boil, and reduce to a simmer. Cook the etouffee, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes. Season the shrimp with the remaining tablespoon of Essence and add them to the pot, stirring to evenly distribute. Cook the shrimp for 5 to 7 minutes, or until they are cooked through. Add the chopped parsley to the pot and stir to combine.

Serve immediately over steamed white rice and garnish with sliced green onion tops.

Not the exact shrimp recipe i use from Emeril, but close enough.
I got a lot of shit from Yan can cook that was hand written when i was kid,

Sancocho (Dominican Stew)

I've never met anyone that can turn this down, it'll make a vegetarian think twice. :yes:

Sancocho.jpg

I'ma come back to this thread with pics of my daily dinner. I love cooking everyday. I like knowing what goes into my body. I have to prepare for the women of tomorrow (who can't cook for shit!).

Peace

ingredients, please ^^^^

DragonXJC

I joke and I know things
BGOL Investor
ingredients, please ^^^^

:cool: It varies by cook and by what you got. I normally don't make it with 7 meats.

7-MEAT Deluxe Sancocho

Sancocho.jpg

http://www.dominicancooking.com/beans-soups-stews/1360-sancocho-7-meat-hearty-stew.html

Before starting to cook: Cut the meat into small pieces. Scrub the meat (except the pork sausage) with the lemon.

Ingredients:

* 2 lbs beef with bones
* 1 lb of goat meat
* 1 lb. pork sausage (longaniza)
* 1 lb pork
* 1 1/2 lb chicken
* 2 lbs of pork ribs
* 1 lb of bones from a smoked ham
* 4 lemons cut in halves
* 1 tablespoon of mashed garlic
* 4 tablespoons of oil
* 1/2 lb of Yuca cut into 1-inch thick pieces
* 1/2 lb of yam cut into 1-inch thick pieces
* 2 celery stalks
* 1/2 lb of malanga cut into 1-inch thick pieces
* 1/2 lb of potatoes cut into 1-inch thick pieces
* 3 unripe plantains, 2 cut into 1-inch thick pieces
* 2 cubes of beef stock (optional)
* 2 corn cobs cut into 2-inches long pieces (may be omitted)
* 1/2 teaspoon of powdered oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon of coriander/cilantro
* 2 teaspoons of vinegar
* 2 teaspoons of chili pepper sauce or agrio de naranja
* *10 Bollitos de harina (boiled flour rolls) (optional)

Preparation:

1. Place the beef in a pan and add the celery, coriander, oregano, garlic, vinegar, and salt. Marinate for at least half an hour. In an iron pot heat the oil, add the beef and stir (be careful with hot oil splattering). Cover and and simmer for 10 minutes. Add a few spoons of water if the meat sticks to the pot. Add the pork and let simmer for 15 minutes, adjust water when necessary. Add the rest of the meat to the pot (except for the chicken) and let simmer for another 15 minutes, adding tablespoons of water as needed to prevent it from burning. Add the chicken and let simmer for another 10 minutes.

2. Add 1/4 gallon of water to the pot and bring to a boil. Add the yam, malanga and the two plantains that you had previously cut. Add the bollitos now. Let simmer for 15 minutes. Add all remaining ingredients and adjust water when necessary. Stir regularly to avoid excessive sticking. Let simmer until the last ingredients you added are tender. Grate the remaining plantain and add to the pot. Let simmer until the stew is thick.

3. Adjust salt to taste. Serve while hot with white rice.

T

td4001

I got an old ass Recipe from the the Slaves(found by historians) that cooked for President Thomas Jefferson when he was in the White House, the Recipe is for Sweet Potato Biscuits.

I also love to do a 6 to 8lb Leg Of Lamb at least 2 or 3 times per year.

I also try to do a Standing Rib Roast(Bone in)during the Cold Weather Months when I can find Rib Roast on sale.

Around Thanksgiving I have a Favorite Homemade Dry Rub that I like to do on my Thanksgiving Turkey, and when I serve it I also do a Sausage-Cornbread Dressing.

I don't have one favorite, it all depends on the weather, Time-of-Year, and the occassion.
And that Sausage-Cornbread Stuffing.

Me i like to make lasagna atleast once a month

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
question

non stick or stainless steel?

Stainless steel is a better heat distributor.
usually the thickerm the better the cooking.
And these babies can definitely take higher heat.
I use them for regular cooking, stir-frys, everything.

Non-Stick I've used less of because of the teflon coating many of them still contain. Great for lighter, medium cooking. Use wooden, of nylon utensils. Because those non-sticks still scratch easily. I will make lower-heat casserole dishes with them.

Here's a few links:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Stainless-Steel-vs-Non-Stick-Cookware

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/470848

Popcorn Luva

Support BGOL
Registered
Fried Plantain with honey
platanosfritos6.jpg

Damn... with honey? :confused:

That just seems like sweetness overkill to me. :dunno:

Once the plaintan is ripe I wouldn't need anything else on it once it's fried.

Judging by the picture I can tell that plaintan was really ripe. (Just how I like it.)

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ribeye steak.....seasoned with lemon pepper, italian seasoning, & seasoning salt. coated with a mixture of louisiana red pepper marinade w/ lemon, red wine vinegar, and honey bbq sauce.

that shit will make u slap the fuck outta everybody in your immediate family....starting with the elders.

btw....i had some of that Roti for the first time 2 days ago....i didnt know what it was, but it was good as hell. i need to learn how to make that shit.

SamSneed

Disciple of Zod
BGOL Investor
Damn... with honey? :confused:

That just seems like sweetness overkill to me. :dunno:

Once the plaintan is ripe I wouldn't need anything else on it once it's fried.

Judging by the picture I can tell that plaintan was really ripe. (Just how I like it.)

na just don't drown them,i put like 2 drops of honey on each one

xselent

Star
Registered
Ribeye steak.....seasoned with lemon pepper, italian seasoning, & seasoning salt. coated with a mixture of louisiana red pepper marinade w/ lemon, red wine vinegar, and honey bbq sauce.

that shit will make u slap the fuck outta everybody in your immediate family....starting with the elders.

btw....i had some of that Roti for the first time 2 days ago....i didnt know what it was, but it was good as hell. i need to learn how to make that shit.

THAT SOUNDS TOO NICE

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
ChickenTikka.jpg

chicken_tikka_masala.jpg

naan-recipe-1-22-07.jpg

aloo-carrot-paratha.jpg

I didn't know they ate roti and curry in the West Indies. I thought it was just a Pakistani thing. Good to see our food traveling the world. :yes: